Lets Chat - The lack of blue posts..

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 15 Next
I can understand them not replying to every single thread, but when you have a post like this one:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/20741954126?page=1

It seems silly that Blizzard would not post on this thing that so many people have requested, that was started by a green post, and even has some slick mockups to go with it.

This is a huge missed opportunity by Blizz. Even if they were to just say, "we are looking into this issue and considering the many suggestions that we have received," that would be awesome. Let the community know they were heard.
02/26/2016 02:12 PMPosted by BlueBandit47
It seems silly that Blizzard would not post on this thing that so many people have requested, that was started by a green post, and even has some slick mockups to go with it.

They won't comment on it yet for a couple reasons:

-Blue posts, no matter what they say (even just confirmation they saw it), derail the thread and the players focus on whatever the blue did, or did not say, instead of the topic. They REALLY would rather see what players have to say on the actual subject. I can tell you 100% the CMs know about Monstrous' thread and by now the Devs do too.

-They have learned the hard way saying anything about game changes too early in development can lead to issues. A few times they have posted about ideas they had that never made it to the final patch. The forums get very upset and call them liars, even though they clearly stated "hey just something we are thinking of but might not make it to the final game".

Now they don't tell us much until they know for sure it will or won't make it into the Patch.
02/26/2016 03:12 PMPosted by MissCheetah
-Blue posts, no matter what they say (even just confirmation they saw it), derail the thread and the players focus on whatever the blue did, or did not say, instead of the topic. They REALLY would rather see what players have to say on the actual subject. I can tell you 100% the CMs know about Monstrous' thread and by now the Devs do too.

But at the same time, Blizzard's inactivity on their own forum is fueling the unrest.
They have no trouble upvoting posts.
02/26/2016 05:03 PMPosted by Hypersonic
But at the same time, Blizzard's inactivity on their own forum is fueling the unrest

From Blizzard's point of view the forums are for players to discuss the game with other players. They do not view it as the primary method of reaching the widest audience from a Dev communication or participation point of view. There is a big mismatch between some player expectations of what forums are for and Blizzard's intended use.

The core issue is not the format the information is presented in though, it is that the information is not presented as often as players wish. I don't think MOST players would care what format the devs use, as long as it was linked back to an announcement or summary on the website.

I felt the reddit Q&A was an example of GOOD communications. They announced it well in advance here on the website for any who wanted to attend then they posted a transcript of it here on the website for anyone who missed it. They got their wider audience with a real time format and we got all the info.

BAD example was the latest kullestorybro podcast 4 weeks ago with Wyatt to talk about Patch 2.4 and Season 5. They did not post a link here on the website about it. Many people are not aware of it.

Today there was a youtube Lightening Talk with a dev about Treasure Goblins but you only know about it if you follow the Nevalistis Twitter. It is one of the Blizzcon talks that were not originally streamed so they are going back and capturing them for us. Maybe they only meant for it to be something for people who are already interested in some of the quirky side topics? https://twitter.com/CM_Nevalistis/status/703282154302631936

Today's Lightning talk is like the rest, in that it goes into the origins of features and the whys. Maybe an article or link here on the website with a link to them?
02/26/2016 06:33 PMPosted by MissCheetah
Maybe an article or link here on the website with a link to them?

I really wish they would announce this stuff ahead of time.

I had no idea about the KSB podcast interview.
From Blizzard's point of view the forums are for players to discuss the game with other players. They do not view it as the primary method of reaching the widest audience from a Dev communication or participation point of view. There is a big mismatch between some player expectations of what forums are for and Blizzard's intended use.

An "easy" solution (although it probably isn't that easy) is to have something similar to "Diablo Fans Blue Tracker" here. When they post on Reddit, Twitter or other sites (when it's related to D3 and worthy of discussion), it also shows around here.

Even if they are inactive here, they would at least see that they are (sometimes) discussing important things (on other media).
02/26/2016 07:37 PMPosted by DoomBringer
An "easy" solution (although it probably isn't that easy) is to have something similar to "Diablo Fans Blue Tracker" here. When they post on Reddit, Twitter or other sites (when it's related to D3 and worthy of discussion), it also shows around here.

Even if they are inactive here, they would at least see that they are (sometimes) discussing important things (on other media).

YES and it has been asked for over and over. They actually DID implement that now for the new Support website. If you click the Support button up top then click a game you will see the support twitter feed there without having to go to Twitter. They even have a new maintenance announcement format on the support page that shows all the games at once so you don't have to hunt for them.

Now if they would just put a twitter feed on our website that captures the key tweets, not the social ones, that would be awesome.

I wrote and maintained a service that did exactly this. :)

It would hook into public api's for Twitter, Facebook and Reddit and then aggregate them with the forum posts.

In the past what they used to do was to first put all the info in a forum or blog post then tweet the screenshot or link the post on the other social media sites, I'm not sure why they no longer do this.

Maybe so, but considering all factors, the overall handling of the whole situation has been very poor.

The core issue is not the format the information is presented in though, it is that the information is not presented as often as players wish. I don't think MOST players would care what format the devs use, as long as it was linked back to an announcement or summary on the website.

There was a thread (currently inaccessible because it is on the PTR forum) that raised the point about posts and threads on external sites and that this information is not being relayed back to these forums. A blue post acknowledged this.

http://www.diablofans.com/blizz-tracker/topic/60080-reddit-twitch-twitter-facebook-whatnots

But this was 6 months ago. Nothing has changed, if not gotten worse.
02/26/2016 07:50 PMPosted by SoulSpectre

I wrote and maintained a service that did exactly this. :)

It would hook into public api's for Twitter, Facebook and Reddit and then aggregate them with the forum posts.

In the past what they used to do was to first put all the info in a forum or blog post then tweet the screenshot or link the post on the other social media sites, I'm not sure why they no longer do this.

Well, if you don't create something like this I might look into doing this.

One of the WoW EU MVP's used to have this really awesome Blizztracker tool but he no longer maintains it. I really want another tool like that again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp_i-ilD7-U

Players in Hots xD
They have learned the hard way saying anything about game changes too early in development can lead to issues. A few times they have posted about ideas they had that never made it to the final patch. The forums get very upset and call them liars, even though they clearly stated "hey just something we are thinking of but might not make it to the final game".

I believe you
02/26/2016 12:45 PMPosted by Drothvader
<span class="truncated">...</span>

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/20420494255#8

Thanks.

Glad to see I'm on the same page as Wyatt. It may feel great to have a bonus weekend, but if you're scheduled to work, go out of town, etc it feels awful.

I'll accept the downvotes, doesn't bother me because deep down I feel Wyatt is right about this issue.

So because my schedule don't suit yours, I shouldn't a have bonus?
I feel then blizzard should take your gear, because it not fair to me I don't have the same stuff.
Years of CM shuffling and this is where we are it, a month since the website has even been touched, and that was to clue us in on how awesome set dungeons are.

At this point I would gladly forgo 2.6 if the devs and CM's alike would spend the entire season actually playing this game and other fun games like Grim Dawn, & frequent it's forums to see how devs and players can actually communicate w/ each other. Visit PoE's forums or Grim Dawns, those communities LOVE the devs and feel a part of the process

Since vanilla it's been blizzcons w/ tiny mentions of Diablo from devs who like like theyre about to get lynch mobbed, the community is what they make it, don't believe me?

Yah, but blizzard contributed to the players' expectations being mismatched: where are the bug reports? In the forums.

Once you establish any part of the forum as the direct communications link to the employees, you just established the whole thing as such.

That was a community management (the function, not the people) mistake. We just reacted to it.
02/23/2016 04:19 PMPosted by atom0s
Over the last few years (pretty much since after RoS was released) the communication between Blizzard and the community here has slowly become non-existent. We went from having semi-active blue posts on a much more frequent scale in topics that actually warranted discussion and feedback to now, getting barely 1-2 blue posts a week (and sometimes a month if that). On top of that lack of blue post count, those posts are almost NEVER in a topic that actually has a large discussion going on. If you take a look at all the recent blue posts in the last several months, a good majority of them are in topics where newer players are asking basic questions that are answered already on the main Diablo 3 site.

Actually I say that Blizz could very well have a good reason for the lack of communication with us. I will explain why.

Communication is a two way street. Both sides have to do their part in keeping the line of communication open. Both sides have to be civil toward each other, even though emotions heat up and cause some to speak out things they normally would say.

What I have seen on these forums I can understand why Blizz is shy about communicating with us. They have seen us take things that they have said as promises, when they told us point blank that what they said is only what they are thinking about doing. Then when they have told us some things that they would be doing players see that as a promise, even though it they tell us that during development that those things might change or might not ever make it into the game due to factors beyond their control. Both of what I said become broken promises. These are the very reasons why Blizz won't say anything about what they are doing until they are as close to 100% certain that they will be doing what they are thinking about doing.

Next take some really good discussions that are going on. Blizz is afraid that if they speak out then some troll will come along and tear their posts to shreds derailing a good discussion. Causing them to lock the discussion and delete it. They don't want that happening, so they instead choose to just listen in by having the CMs and at times the devs read the forums.

We as a community and maybe with some help from Blizz, by having them actively monitoring the forums and removing troll posts. Posts that actually are there for no other reason but to tear down a good discussion that is going on. Even going as far as banning them permanently if the need arises.

When the forums are a place where Blizz can feel free to speak their mind about what they intend on doing with this game. When they can feel free to talk to us about any concern without the fear of their words being used against them in some sort of a witch hunt. Then we will see a change. We will be seeing more active communication from them. We get the quality of communication that we are giving to them.

When people treat each other like we have been treating the devs as a whole people tend to turtle up. They get very defensive and will not have any desire to talk to us. So both us and Blizz needs to get our acts into order.

02/23/2016 04:19 PMPosted by atom0s
In the last round of testing on the PTR, the community gave hundreds of feedback threads about the games current state, the problems that existed on the PTR, the issues with the various item sets and certain legendaries, the massive issues with set dungeons and such and none of those threads ever once saw a blue post. None of the feedback was taken into consideration and now we have a main news post on the main site bragging about how much the developer thing Set Dungeons are a success. This does not reflect how the community feels at all.

The PTR is a different animal, when you have players post something like a bug or possible exploit. Then you get trolls that will either water down they are saying or tell the devs they are blowing smoke up your nose, saying it doesn't exist.

The same was no doubt true with the set dungeons. Even though you had a lot of players offer feedback. You no doubt had those that posted just the opposite as well.

Also don't think that as far as set dungeons that what we have now is the final iteration.
02/27/2016 09:58 AMPosted by Fauxlivia
Yah, but blizzard contributed to the players' expectations being mismatched: where are the bug reports? In the forums

Except that Bug reports is just a reporting form. They don't reply to anyone unless they need more info and they put that in a sticky thread. It is for players to post, not for them to reply back. That forum is one of the most clear about it actually.
They won't comment on it yet for a couple reasons:

-They have learned the hard way saying anything about game changes too early in development can lead to issues. A few times they have posted about ideas they had that never made it to the final patch. The forums get very upset and call them liars, even though they clearly stated "hey just something we are thinking of but might not make it to the final game".

Now they don't tell us much until they know for sure it will or won't make it into the Patch.

On this i am completely agree, but to we suffice a simple "Read and sent" on all our feedback thread. it may seem useless, but for we it is not, i think.
Blizz is afraid that if they speak out then some troll will come along and tear their posts to shreds derailing a good discussion.

Sorry, but you're just describing the mind of an insecure kid. If Blizzard is serious about feedback they should take all kinds of feedback into consideration.