Stone of Jordan completely useless now.

Items and Crafting
Prev 1 2 3 4 22 Next
02/26/2016 12:41 PMPosted by Epharian
How about this:

Have it roll with a socket and then have the orange text/power be:

Legendary gems socketed in this item have their effect increased by 100-150%. [values negotiable].

it would have to be careful in how it applied to certain gems, but I think it would be a cool thing to have.

Instead or a percentage increase you could buff the gem (while respecting the gem's level limit) by 10-15 levels.
02/26/2016 12:41 PMPosted by Epharian
How about this:

Have it roll with a socket and then have the orange text/power be:

Legendary gems socketed in this item have their effect increased by 100-150%. [values negotiable].

it would have to be careful in how it applied to certain gems, but I think it would be a cool thing to have.

what would you want it to do?

I was also thinking along these lines, but maybe just something like any legendary gem socketed in this item have their effect doubled.

Why do you want Stone of Jordan to be more important?

nostalgia is an improtant factor, it was a currency in d2 and used for many recipes, now its just another ring ( like windforce is just another bow)

Would you rather see Stone of Jordan have a new Kanai/Crafting use, be spent as currency, or feel more competitive as an item?

competitive item would be great and also a crafting use would be even better

How can we revise Stone of Jordan in a way that's great for everyone and not just a single class

a generic bonus is best then I would think.
02/26/2016 11:35 AMPosted by Nevalistis
I've seen quite a bit of feedback from folks wanting to see Stone of Jordan get some revivification. Let's explore this concept.

• If we revised Stone of Jordan, what would you want it to do?
  • Why do you want Stone of Jordan to be more important? Is it the nostalgia factor, or do you want more competitive/varied ring options? Is there another reason?
  • Would you rather see Stone of Jordan have a new Kanai/Crafting use, be spent as currency, or feel more competitive as an item?
  • How can we revise Stone of Jordan in a way that's great for everyone and not just a single class?

These are just some conversation starter questions. I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on Stone of Jordan, or what item powers you'd like to see in general.

Right now Puzzle Rings and Bovine Bardiches are only cube recipes, not items you'd ever think of using. It would be cool if the SoJ were both, making it valuable in the cube but possibly an actual sacrifice. It's really hard to find anything that compares to the +1 to all skills in D3's design, The vanilla D3 approach might actually work, since the large amount of randomness would be less frustrating if you could cube useless ones, but the reality would be a stash full of bad SoJs we "might use someday" and a lot of frustration waiting for "the right one".

Certainly it's hard to have it give % to primary resource, since there are so many abilities that scale with that stat. Maybe have it augment all skills in some other way, such as range and radius. Maybe it can augment area damage, since that's an affix that's mostly working right now and is hard to stack sometimes. Something like doubling the chance for AD, or the radius, or both. This way it's working for all skills in a way that fits in with the current item game. I think AD is fertile ground for a lot of new item ideas, since it's new to D3 and mostly unexplored until now.

Maybe putting it in the cube with a PR or BB could open an uber version of those portals. I'd certainly prefer to see a new portal realm for it, but I'm not sure how tall an order that is. Maybe it could open a Blackthorne set dungeon that, when completed, makes it so Blackthorne pieces no longer drop!
I also like the idea of it affecting legendary gems, but some of what I'm seeing is a little extreme. Legendary gems are already so powerful as to be mandatory (in a good way). You don't want that to bleed over into the actual rings or we're back where we started with rings. Like, imagine if SoJ could roll with two sockets. You'd not be able to use another ring, ever.
As someone who doesn't like CoE, I'd simply prefer a ring that's a 100% uptime 50-60% elemental bonus or so. Or as an alternative, for every skill of a given element set, gain 20-30% elemental damage. 5 Physical skills? 100-150%. Anything more complex would arguably make it harder to cross-class. With LoN being what it is, we really can't use it as an endgame ring specifically, either, save maybe the few builds that can get away with Endless Walk.
Like Caldesann's Despair, there could be a recipe for this ring. Using mats/jems, you can add a new modifier to this ring. it would add X levels to your equipped gems (+10, +15 levels, depending on how good the mats you used for the recipe).
02/26/2016 12:58 PMPosted by KirusAlufras

To add a new RING power to the game PLEASE revise the Hellfire Ring.

Not a bad idea at all. Let it function exactly like the Amulet so you can use the ring with Endless Walk or the Amulet with LoN/FnR.

As to the topic at hand, I think it needs to be skill based. The +1 to all skills was pretty iconic. Letting us pick a second rune for each skill would be pretty amazing if tuned properly.
Change the rings elite damage to a Legendary power but make it function as the reverse of Zei's Stone. More damage the closer you are.
02/26/2016 01:24 PMPosted by Zen
I've seen quite a bit of feedback from folks wanting to see Stone of Jordan get some revivification. Let's explore this concept.

• Why do you want Stone of Jordan to be more important? Is it the nostalgia factor, or do you want more competitive/varied ring options? Is there another reason?
  • Would you rather see Stone of Jordan have a new Kanai/Crafting use, be spent as currency, or feel more competitive as an item?
  • How can we revise Stone of Jordan in a way that's great for everyone and not just a single class?

These are just some conversation starter questions. I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on Stone of Jordan, or what item powers you'd like to see in general.

Maybe it can augment area damage, since that's an affix that's mostly working right now and is hard to stack sometimes. Something like doubling the chance for AD, or the radius, or both. This way it's working for all skills in a way that fits in with the current item game. I think AD is fertile ground for a lot of new item ideas, since it's new to D3 and mostly unexplored until now.

Oh man if the Area Damage chance was increase from 20% (which I don't think is communicated to casual players very well) to 40%, that would be so awesome.
I just want all legendaries to be useful in some way. Remember crafted legendaries? No you don't, when was the last time more than 1% of those were useful. It's not like they even roll better stats.

If there's not a legendary affix on an item, it's garbage. Very few exceptions. Putting attack speed AND crit damage on a belt had to be done just to get one.
I like the SoJ because as you mention, it's a nostalgia item. It has a legacy behind it's name, and I would like for the legacy to continue.

Seeing as the infamous SoJ was used as currency back in the days of D2, I would like to see it re-implemented as something other than an actual wearable item. A consumable that does some neat stuff. I always found it sort of weird I was wearing a stone around my finger.

Ideas :
  • Free reroll on an item
  • Upgrade Item to ancient
  • Grants x number of paragon points
  • Adds a socket an item that is socketable (why not go nuts and allow for 2 sockets on an item)
  • I could add a bunch more ideas, but you get the jist of it.
    Why do you want Stone of Jordan to be more important? Is it the nostalgia factor, or do you want more competitive/varied ring options? Is there another reason?

This gives me no hope that it goes beyond this thread.

The answer to your question Nev is yes, for nostalgia reasons. I'm glad that the devs have made the ring category an actual choice. But beyond nostalgia, there are a plethora of other builds emerging for TX speed farming and frankly SoJ can't even cut it here in most builds. Some barbs are using it in my clan are using it with Endless Walk but even then, there are other rings that just outperform it.

At bare-minimum, the SoJ should be a "cubable" orange affix. Just for fun:

"Every time you pick up a health globe in a Nephalem Rift or Greater Rift, gain .2% damage. The damage buff only lasts the duration of a rift."

• SoJ should be the new LoN. This way we have an extra ring slot to equip whatever other ring we want.
    basically it should have this legendary effect:

- As long as there are no Set bonuses active, every Legendary you have equipped increases your damage dealt by 100% and reduces your damage taken by 4%.

This way, we also have the option to cube it and have 2 more ring slots opened for more options. I would surely love to see the new builds that come out of this.

As for Litany of the Undaunted and Wailing Host, give it a new set bonus. Can't think of one at the moment but I'm sure blizzard or others here can think of something creative.
    Thanks Nevalistis

Mostly something to be competitive with CoE which is the only cube option now. But I honestly would prefer hellfire ring update instead of SoJ.

Hellfire needs love, don't much care for soj - I hated it in D2 since it was used as currency.
    02/26/2016 02:05 PMPosted by PeeP
    I always found it sort of weird I was wearing a stone around my finger.

"Stone" in this case can refer to a gem set in a ring, so the stone isn't around your finger but rather is a gemstone set in a ring that is around your finger.

SoJ I believe, will do perfect with today's changes if you guys are bringing the old options back, like Crit for X skill.

As a mater of fact, I believe you need to start adding Critical % for skills on items.

Exemple:

Wave of Light critical hit chance is increased by 7%

This will create more variation of skills and builds.
    Stone of Jordan was used primarily for its elite dmg + %element before, so why not make its special effect something like, when fighting elites you deal 50% more damage and take 25% less damage. This effect lasts for (insert random number roll here) seconds after killing an elite.
    "If we revised Stone of Jordan, what would you want it to do?"

It was +1 to skill in d2 and now items are more important so i would like to see it would roll any legendary affix from any other item. For more clear - something like hellfire amulet do with passives. Why - because sometimes im trying to make some funny build and i start to think "if i could have that belt on, that belt in cube and... hmmm... no place for 3rd belt".

"Why do you want Stone of Jordan to be more important? Is it the nostalgia factor, or do you want more competitive/varied ring options? Is there another reason?"

Nostalgia. But i also want to have more competitive options.
    I'm relatively happy with stone of jordan as it is right now, but the biggest 'problem' to it, is that it seldom fits in with the highly competitive ring / ring amulet sets we have. I *can* use it on marauder 6 (and in fact some on top of the leaderboards do) with endless walk set, but beyond that it's notoriously hard to fit in, and it requires you to forgoe the traditionally good multiplicative stats of crit chance, crit damage and damage range, in favor of elite damage, elemental damage and mainstat.

Maybe turning its elemental damage affix into a legendary one, that increases your highest elemental affix by +[value] could be good? this would allow it to roll an additional primary stat (crit chance / crit damage or whatever your build values).
    Well, depending on your skills/gear/support,

Traveler's set + SoJ (Arcane damg for wiz, Elite Damage, Area Damage, Socket) + Convention of Elements (cubed) outpowers any other Ring combination in the game.

That being said, it would be nice to see some former good vanilla items get some importance again.

Namely:
    -Skorn (at this point, the former second socket doesn't seem overpowered any more)
    -Mempo of Twilight (this one just went from best helm in the game by far to worst in the game by far)

There is nothing wrong with some items being better than other's in most builds. However, more items should be usable in at least some builds instead of insta-salvage, regardless of build.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with some items being good in cube while others needing to be actually equipped to use their effect to full potential. That adds versatility to the game, which is actually good. The problem is that those slots are generally used for set items that are totally overpowered and immediately excluding most non-set items.

As to Stone of Jordan, why not give it one "weak" (secondary?) legendary effect which can be cubed while keeping the actual primary setup.

Not sure if the community agrees with those ideas. Just some thoughts from an average player.