Stone of Jordan completely useless now.

Items and Crafting
Prev 1 8 9 10 22 Next
02/26/2016 11:35 AMPosted by Nevalistis
I've seen quite a bit of feedback from folks wanting to see Stone of Jordan get some revivification. Let's explore this concept.

• If we revised Stone of Jordan, what would you want it to do?
  • Why do you want Stone of Jordan to be more important? Is it the nostalgia factor, or do you want more competitive/varied ring options? Is there another reason?
  • Would you rather see Stone of Jordan have a new Kanai/Crafting use, be spent as currency, or feel more competitive as an item?
  • How can we revise Stone of Jordan in a way that's great for everyone and not just a single class?

These are just some conversation starter questions. I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on Stone of Jordan, or what item powers you'd like to see in general.

2 points really. Personally I think the SoJ is so iconic that I don't think its good to change it completely. Keep the 2 main things, %ele dmg and elite dmg. But I think it needs to be the best ring, flat out, in damage. This can be achieved with having 5 primary's on the SoJ, similar to the Compass Rose, and make it possible to have %eledmg, CHC, CHD, Elite and Socket on the SoJ. This will make it viable in terms of power in itself and also very hard to get to that viable stage.

With the Cube I'd make the SoJ into an item like the puzzle ring or bovine, where the cube with eat the ring, but make something cool with it. I'd suggest rerolling a legendary affix. So if you have a perfect ancient Furnace but the affix only rolled 40% elite damage, pop the furnace + 1 SoJ in the cube (maybe with a few other materials) and it will reroll that affix.

With this you have the dilemma between either keeping the SoJ and rerolling it using the cube, or destroying it for another item boost. The cool thing is that SoJ's are rare and you only get a few of them each season so you have to be smart about using them!

Also, another point about the ring sets. Since I don't think a SoJ should have a legendary affix, changing the LoN to include an amulet, like the Compass Rose set, you could maybe trade a hellfire amulet to a SoJ or CoE/HoA. So make the LoN set a 3 piece set with a 2 set bonus, so you decide which way you'd like to play it? F&R could also be this way but i think F&R is okey.
I've seen quite a bit of feedback from folks wanting to see Stone of Jordan get some revivification. Let's explore this concept.

• If we revised Stone of Jordan, what would you want it to do?
  • Why do you want Stone of Jordan to be more important? Is it the nostalgia factor, or do you want more competitive/varied ring options? Is there another reason?
  • Would you rather see Stone of Jordan have a new Kanai/Crafting use, be spent as currency, or feel more competitive as an item?
  • How can we revise Stone of Jordan in a way that's great for everyone and not just a single class?

These are just some conversation starter questions. I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on Stone of Jordan, or what item powers you'd like to see in general.

SoJ should provide the same buff vs. elites, instead of having to rely on the furnace and/or in order to use in lieu of the furnace (DH cant use furnace, for example)
--
i want more ring options to use - also to pair with travelers pledge instead of CoE mostly
--
i want SoJ to be cubeable, yes
--
it should also have a resource-leech effect OR a life-leech effect - i know blizz did away with life leech, but maybe it can only apply to elites, or become a resource leech vs elites too, for those builds that are resource-heavy - even a 2% cap
--
ty
As already mentioned before the SoJ should be an usable damage option. But it should also add something in build variety that wasn't possible before. And it should totally be usble by any class. I would prefer the SoJ to be a one element counterpart to the CoE. To be that and a gamechanger it could get a legendary affix like this:

If a skill deals damage all damage of that element is increased by [20%-25%]. Different skills can stack the bonus up to 4. Only one element can be active at an time.

Probably poorly phrased (I suck at this) the idea is that you gain the benefit of the SoJ by using many skills with the same elemental type. For two offensive skills the bonus is 50% so it is en par with the CoE but you can gain an even greater bonus but lose defensive and utility skills. You'd also have to consider unfavorable options in the attack skills for the benefits.
With this implementation it would be a solid choice in a regular build or could be used for extremely powerful glasscannon builds.

It should still roll with Elemental damage though as it feels kinda iconic for the ring in D3.

PS: It is nice to see blue posts again and even better to see them asking for constructive ideas from the players.
Lots of great Ideas here.

I think it would be interesting to let us combine sojs to make a "super soj" that you actually would use.

For example each cold soj you find could add +10% cold damage until you got +100% cold damage with 10 cold sojs. You essentially merge 10 sojs into a super soj.

Alternatively you could add 5% elite damage per merged soj or something like that to add +50% elite damage etc.I think this would be fairly easy to balance as you can put a cap on how many you can merge.
It would be really neat if you guys updated Hellfire Ring just like you did the Amulet. Since there is a "travelers pledge" set that takes up the amulet slot,... there really is no option for Hellfire amulet anymore there.
For the SoJ, introduce a power synergy with the elite. For example :
"Gain 15-25% reduction damage from elite."
"Each hit on elite, increases your damage and attack speed by 5% for 5sec (stack 4 times)."
While I have feelings of nostalgia for SoJ, the LoN or Restraint/Focus pairs have far more power. To disrupt that would be problematic.

But the SoJ should have an iconic position, most likely with the cube. Perhaps a new cube formula with three SoJs and some other mats could apply its elite abilities to another worn item, doesn't matter which really.
I think the design was good. It was just overshadowed by the stupid multipliers from other rings.

Should have these affixes:

Primary
Ele%
Main stat
Guaranteed socket
Elite dmg%

Secondary
Base primary resource
Leg affix - get x% dmg bonus where x% is the proportion of your remaining primary resouce.

Ie, if you have 90% resource in globe, then u get 90% dmg bonus.

Flavour text - "6 championships, b1tch!"
Even from back in the day, SoJ used to be a gg item that people sought. It's now a throwaway item in the game. For both nostalgic and competitive reasons, I'd like to see it get a massive buff to all skills or something like that. Yeah, yeah, I know... muh diversity and all that. But seriously, this gem to the diablo series like the firstborn child that was loved and adored, but then abandoned to obscurity for reasons no one can quite explain.

Give the ring some much needed love. If looking for a balance, make the all skills buff available by being equipped on character only. By making it available on character only, it adds enough rngsus juice to where people can't constantly get gg rolls without some work (of course this could make the botting issue worse, but that's another can of worms).

Another possible idea is to make it an elemental type ring. Like one where it gives a massive boost to one element. Again, make it to where the rolls are very random, and not set in stone for balancing purposes. But you can have a cold SoJ, or a Fire SoJ or a lightning one. This will open up more elemental type build possibilities.

A third possibility is to make it an MF buff ring. Give it a slight buff to finding unique/set items to help lower the end game grind or items a bit. Not all builds need to be about gg endgame GR 100+ meta. Some builds would be nice to have in order to help gear up your other builds. Then again, this would put more strain on the need for stash tabs. It would be a fantastic idea, but it kind of needs blizz to stop being scrooge mcduck with stash space.

If you guys are that diehard about making it based on elites, then it needs more than the measly buffs to elite damage than it has now. Maybe instead of just tacking on MOAR DAMAGE WOWZ, up attack speed or give a debuff of some kind to elites within a certain radius.

And here's one that most would overlook, but I feel would give people less incentive to use thud...
Increase light radius on it. Make it to where you can see a lot more of the map with the ring on.

These are all just suggestions, take/do what you will with them. Maybe someone will fine tune these ideas better.
+50-60% Elemental Damage
+30-40% Elite Damage
+10% Reduced Cost Reduction
+10% Cooldown Reduction
Open socket

secondary

Increases skill school by x% (skill schools are all the skills and runes under that title, such as primary, secondary, and things like archery for demon hunters.)
"If we revised Stone of Jordan, what would you want it to do?"

Some interesting synergy involving elements. Maybe grant an effect based on your highest form of elemental damage. The way I see it, SoJ used to have great damage due to its elite and elemental damage affixes. Being able to cube the Furnace made elite damage very easy for those that want it, but the newish convention of elements ring totally destroys SoJ in elemental damage (and it's able to be cubed to boot!). If CoE is going to be overall more powerful, then giving SoJ some kind of elemental synergy able to be cubed would be cool.

Maybe something like "Applying only your highest type of elemental damage:

All ice damage slows enemies (not subject to any stupid diminishing returns).
All lightning damage zaps enemies in a radius for X damage
All fire damage puts a debuff on enemies that makes them take more damage
All holy damage heals you and your allies for X% of damage done.
All poison damage puts a stacking DoT on enemies.
ETC

Something that's not straight damage, making it compete with CoE in that way, but rather something that makes elements meaningful in a way players have been asking for. I think the strength of each element should be enough to make us actually consider what the elements of our runes do, so for example Uliana doesn't default to Cold because the other elemental runes are garbage.

"Why do you want Stone of Jordan to be more important? Is it the nostalgia factor, or do you want more competitive/varied ring options? Is there another reason?"

SoJ used to do one thing very well, and that was damage. Due to insane powercreep, it's been completely passed over on the one job it had by other rings, while not offering any utility. It would be really cool to make it a damage / utility hybrid ring depending on the build. Not so much that it "needs" to be competitive, but more for fairness sake I guess. I guess it's just stupid that such an iconic ring can't even be cubed and the best things about it make it get beat by other things that can be cubed (Furnace / CoE).

"Would you rather see Stone of Jordan have a new Kanai/Crafting use, be spent as currency, or feel more competitive as an item?"

I think, using this item, there is design space to play around with ways to make elements as interesting. Making it a currency feels like a waste, given that we have so many currency options already.

"How can we revise Stone of Jordan in a way that's great for everyone and not just a single class?"

I think my idea does that reasonably well, but it would need to be tweaked.

Alternate idea: If not elements, synergy with legendary gems in some way, depending on the gem.
The only way to fix Stone of Jordan in its current iteration to make it competitive is to take it's elemental damage and make it a base line damage multiplyer. Too many builds have no use for the increase elemental damage as its reduced so much by diminishing returns, especially on builds that use pet damage.

In order for it compete with rings like Focus and Restraint and Endless Walk, Stone of Jordan would need to increase base damage by up to 50%.
02/27/2016 03:05 PMPosted by Tickle
2 points really. Personally I think the SoJ is so iconic that I don't think its good to change it completely. Keep the 2 main things, %ele dmg and elite dmg. But I think it needs to be the best ring, flat out, in damage. This can be achieved with having 5 primary's on the SoJ, similar to the Compass Rose, and make it possible to have %eledmg, CHC, CHD, Elite and Socket on the SoJ. This will make it viable in terms of power in itself and also very hard to get to that viable stage.

With the Cube I'd make the SoJ into an item like the puzzle ring or bovine, where the cube with eat the ring, but make something cool with it. I'd suggest rerolling a legendary affix. So if you have a perfect ancient Furnace but the affix only rolled 40% elite damage, pop the furnace + 1 SoJ in the cube (maybe with a few other materials) and it will reroll that affix.

With this you have the dilemma between either keeping the SoJ and rerolling it using the cube, or destroying it for another item boost. The cool thing is that SoJ's are rare and you only get a few of them each season so you have to be smart about using them!

Also, another point about the ring sets. Since I don't think a SoJ should have a legendary affix, changing the LoN to include an amulet, like the Compass Rose set, you could maybe trade a hellfire amulet to a SoJ or CoE/HoA. So make the LoN set a 3 piece set with a 2 set bonus, so you decide which way you'd like to play it? F&R could also be this way but i think F&R is okey.

Blizzard, hire this guy! I pretty much agree with everything he said.
If we revised Stone of Jordan, what would you want it to do?

It needs a legendary power and one that befits its iconic nature. I do not have a specific idea but it should be awesome and provide yet another difficult choice in the ring department.

Why do you want Stone of Jordan to be more important? Is it the nostalgia factor, or do you want more competitive/varied ring options? Is there another reason?

Both of those reasons.

I do not think that a Cube recipe is fitting for that ring as it is iconic, but one that springs to mind is a recipe that turns an item into an ancient version of it. But then again I would be spewing as I have salvaged all my SoJs because it is now so crappy and I don't have the space to store them.
The hardest question of them all. It should be very powerful, otherwise it isn't living up to its name. An exciting drop regardless of roll.

Would you rather see Stone of Jordan have a new Kanai/Crafting use, be spent as currency, or feel more competitive as an item?

Well really it should be all three of those. It should be badass for anyone, a worthy form of currency because everyone wants one, and also consumable to spawn mega bosses or further augment gear. Possibly a new form of charms, or consumed to make charms.

How can we revise Stone of Jordan in a way that's great for everyone and not just a single class?
The old soj with +1 all skills gave you damage or toughness depending on your skill set up. It was very well rounded. D3 is about damage but soj should be about well rounded utility that competes with the best rings and have enough damage to not be rendered useless.
02/26/2016 01:14 PMPosted by MasterJay
02/26/2016 01:05 PMPosted by Zt1mQ
why so idiotic topics from people who can't even press shift+L and look at leaderboards' gear, are replied by blizzard?

Please, if you think Twister 4p meta is going to last anything beyond this current patch then that is the only idiotic thing in this thread. SoJ needs a buff beyond one nitch build that will be nerfed, thanks.

It will most likely be the same in any meta build that doesnt use f/r...

Do you think for some reason wizards.. twister wiz's specifically... like elite damage/extra ele damage more then anyone else?
I would turn the SoJ into an alternative ring slot item as well as a currency item for the cube. If you cube this ring, let it spawn a real Uber Diablo somewhere in the Act you spawned it in. Make that sucker very hard to kill (GR 100 stats and new special abilities, stuff to make people cry), and if we kill it, we get the following:

Feat of strength achievement
Cosmetic item(s)
A massive drop count of ancient legendaries (like 30)
A massive drop count of materials (2000 of each mat, and 1000 Death Breaths and Forgotten Souls)

The new SoJ:

Increases damage against elites by 40.0–50.0%

One of 6 Magic Properties (varies)
+16–20 Maximum Discipline (Demon Hunter Only)
+14–18 Maximum Fury (Barbarian Only)
+14–18 Maximum Arcane Power (Wizard Only)
+210–238 Maximum Mana (Witch Doctor Only)
+26–28 Maximum Spirit (Monk Only)
+14–18 Maximum Wrath (Crusader Only)

One of 3 Magic Properties (varies)
+220–349 Dexterity
+220–349 Strength
+220–349 Intelligence

One of 7 Magic Properties (varies)
Physical skills deal 15–20% more damage.
Lightning skills deal 15–20% more damage.
Cold skills deal 15–20% more damage.
Fire skills deal 15–20% more damage.
Arcane skills deal 15–20% more damage.
Poison skills deal 15–20% more damage.
Holy skills deal 15–20% more damage.

+3 Random Magic Properties
This item surely needs a little love. Some sort of legendary effect must be added... It should still roll with ele% and elite% though. Maybe the ability to "steal" a monster effect when you engage a champion or elite. Suddenly arcane beams, frozen pulses etc. work against the elite or champion pack.

The no-brainer is to make something happen when you transmute it in the cube. Either open a special level or spawning something randomly in the act/world.

My addition would be that the boss will drop a legendary gem... and not any kind, but a rather special one: "Annihilus".
What effects it will bring I'm not sure of though...

Actually I'd bring back the power of D2, +25% ressource. Currently that is not a bad thing for any of the classes as ressource is a strong stat really and although not groundbraking, it makes for some interesting use and syngergy while being a interesting cubable power. How that should function for DH's dual ressource system I'm not sure.

Why do you want Stone of Jordan to be more important? Is it the nostalgia factor, or do you want more competitive/varied ring options? Is there another reason?

Both, it was a huge part of Diablo 2 both as a wearable item and as a currency. It was even used for one of the most powerful cube recipes (until act 5 was introduced).

But also because there's a lack of ring options as the current ones are either broken (promises) or just too low on power if not part of a set. Not that I don't love all the new defensive rings, those are awesome and were needed. But the offensive ones are just... unusable.

Would you rather see Stone of Jordan have a new Kanai/Crafting use, be spent as currency, or feel more competitive as an item?

Both. In D2 it was used in 2 recipes: Add socket to an rare item, and upgrade an rare item. So a recipe going something like: 3 Flawless Gems + 1 legendary item + 1 legendary gem rank 50 + Stone of Jordan = Ancient version of the Legendary item, with the main stat of the gems.

Another recipe could go: 1 legendary jewelry + 1 Ramaladni's Gift + 1 Stone of Jordan = Socket is added to the legendary jewelry - doesn't work so well for some but since you refuse to make all legendary jewelries roll with a socket as standard, something has got to be done. Could also make a powershift.

Most importantly, the ring itself needs a second primary affix, right now it only rolls one since element and elite damage AND main stat are guaranteed, there's only 1 random roll left - and you wouldn't go with jewelry without socket (this again). So there's no room for all the desired affixes, no IAS, CHC, CHD, avg. damage, CDR or anything else. Making it the weakest ring of any kind - but with hidden powers.
Changing it to: Socket and elite damage as guaranteed feels like a better option. I like the element, but I'm not sure if it would be too powerful along with the rest, so I'd prefer that to go (also makes it super annoying when it rolls the wrong element and it should be more universal). So a potential SoJ would have something like main stat, 1 random affix, and the standard socket and elite damage upon drop - I could find use for that without feeling it will annihilate everything else.

How can we revise Stone of Jordan in a way that's great for everyone and not just a single class?

Using generic power - the ring was build upon 2 key principles: Ressource for more attacks, and high damage of those attacks. So creating a legendary affix that straight up increases ressource is pretty logical, and a damage potential for any class really - more ressource = more spenders can be used. Some skills even draws directly from your ressource-pool when determining damage.

The elite-killer affix is a sweet one that makes it very good for some special cases to wear and a very unique way to add damage, that I fear will just be too important to throw away and a nice way to keep the "damage"-aspect.

Oh and here's some other ideas for a legendary affix for SoJ:
- Increases the damage of all your skills by 20-50%% (stacks additively with other skill damage and depends on if you keep elemental and elite damage on it)
- Spenders refund 50% of their ressource cost (like The Gavel of Judgment - maybe only on crits and a higher number?)
- After killing an elite, grants 1 stack of Power. Each stacks grants 5% damage reduction and 10% damage. Stacks up to 5 times (lost upon death)
- Increase damage by 50% after 30 ressource has been generated (might need a more clever wording)
- Increase the power of set bonuses by 25%
- Increase the potency of the socketed gem (cannot be cubed)
- Doubles the chance to deal Area Damage
- Increase you main stats by x% (no idea of the value, but is just an attempt to make main stat stacking more compelling instead of IAS/CHC/CHD/socket and so on stacking on all jewelries)
- Removes 1 second of cooldown on after dealing 2000% weapon damage with any skills (Obsidian counter part for non-spender builds - but not sure it fits for SoJ)
ideally it should have the following stats:
+1 to all skills
adds 1-12 lightening damage
+20 mana
increase maximum mana by 25%