Is Convention of Elements forcing bad gameplay?

General Discussion
This is a discussion, not only my personal opinion.

CoE has 4-5 elemental rotations which boost your damage immensly.
Some builds always save their cooldowns for the 4 seconds of its element. In the meantime, they are just kiting or running around doing not much. Missing a rotation by missclick or CC feels extremely frustrating.

For example the Inna-Palm build uses the Cold rotation which is up every 20 seconds
The LoN bomb build only uses Physical, the rest is wasted time. Both builds do almost nothing in the meantime. There are more examples.

Other builds just spam their skills and get an additional boost when their element is up. A quite boring mechanic tho. Just a flat multiplier that is up every 12-20 seconds.

I think CoE missed its purpose. I think players should/could actually use multiple elements on their skill bar and be rewarded for that. Unfortuneately, CoE doesn't really promote that. Its just waiting and taking out the action out of this game for some builds.

What if CoE would make you stronger for each different element you'd use? Similiar to Tal Rasha but more fluently and smooth. I think that was the actual design goal. Its not happening. CoE is just causing paused gameplay in an action-role play game.

What are your thoughts?
The ring is fine.
I feel like I'm forced to use it bc of it's burst capability, but I do feel useless in between cycles. I think it should roll with bonuses to an element, like SoJ, but with large bonuses. I don't know. Maybe it's a bad idea, but I hate feeling pigeon-holed into using it.
The ring its self is fine, the lack of options is the problem.
02/27/2016 06:48 AMPosted by rated

Exactly.

The ring does what it does in a good way, but the other rings are either broken in their buffs or in their bonuses. So if you can't use Obsy you are limited to CoE of you want an offensive Ring/cube slot.

I really wanted to use Broken Promises on my Barb but I can't, it just live up to it's name nothing more, because berserker grants critical hit chance the ring is useless by default for the class
02/27/2016 06:24 AMPosted by WalkinTall
What if CoE would make you stronger for each different element you'd use? Similiar to Tal Rasha but more fluently and smooth. I think that was the actual design goal. Its not happening. CoE is just causing paused gameplay in an action-role play game.

I really don't think that was the design goal. I think the design goal was to compete with the 100%+ damage increase offered by F&R. If CoE had just offered a 200% increase to all damage then obviously it would have been compulsory and if it just offered a 40% damage increase it wouldn't have been that great. So the cycle though the elements does in effect offer a 40% damage increase but by doing it that way players have the opportunity to get 200% damage increase if they use it properly.

Using it properly, I would argue, is exactly what players are doing and you seem to think it's something to be avoided. Why hit a monster now when you can wait 5 secs and hit it with 200% more force? That's part of ARPG gameplay, using your skills and weapons when they can do the most damage. If that means that certain builds spend 20 secs doing little damage then the next 5 secs inflicting huge damage then I don't see why that's a bad thing.

The one thing I do agree with you on, to a certain extent, is that elemental damage is an extremely underused part of D3 gameplay. Whether that's using multiple elements in a build or just differentiating the different elements. If each individual elemental build had strengths and weaknesses because of the element chosen, with the weaknesses being potentially mitigated by the addition of a second element but at the cost of some damage, then I think the game would be better. At the moment choosing an element is based purely on which skill (and hence rune) you want to use but there's no downside to your choice so a second element isn't required. The effective difference between each element is so minimal that if the devs changed the element of every rune in the game then there would be no change in the gameplay of virtually all the current builds.

This is probably the most succint and accurate response.

The tactic is fine an interesting, but given lack of other options/tactics one can employ, CoE just gets our focus and seems broken.
02/27/2016 10:08 AMPosted by Fauxlivia

This is probably the most succint and accurate response.

The tactic is fine an interesting, but given lack of other options/tactics one can employ, CoE just gets our focus and seems broken.

Agreed. It's a ring so many specs use, but apparently only 1-2 wizard builds should use it.

This brings up my most hated affix as well: Shielding. Woo, time to burst these guys dow-*shield*. FUUUUUU.

Like, seriously? It's like the game is playing itself for me, and my ability to kill things fast is entirely based on RNG.

You know RNG has gone too far when you rely on a bunch of random things during combat outside your control, aside from critical hits at that. Uhg.
That's another problem all on it's own. I wish shielding wasn't a 100% immunity to all damage. Maybe just a shield with hp like the kind we get. I agree that it's super annoying when EPing a bunch of mobs to find out that the yellow elite had a shield up and is at full health still with nothing around for me to chain EPs to.
I actually think there is nothing wrong with adapting your playstyle to try to make maximum advantage of the temporal buff- it's a leg that allows you to change your playstyle, so in that way it is in a 'good' class of 'interesting' legendary powers. It's also pretty harsh if you miss or get CCed, so it's a 'high risk, high reward, high skill cap' type of play. I also think this is a good thing'

Now that being said, it's also just a boring DPS bump, but it had to compete with the likes of Unity and F/R to be viable.

Where it failed I believe is to attempt to encourage multi-element builds (like Tal Rasha's 6p) that would maximize the buff's uptime. Unfortunately that doesn't really synch up with the limited number of skill slots that we have, and that stacking a single element type is rarely a good idea because in general if you have 4 attack skills of each element type, they are bound to NOT have the same DPS output, and you'd be diluting the benefits regardless. So really the 'high-risk, high-reward' style of play really makes more rational sense with the way the game is set up at the moment.

02/27/2016 07:09 AMPosted by KiWeN
I really wanted to use Broken Promises on my Barb but I can't, it just live up to it's name nothing more, because berserker grants critical hit chance the ring is useless by default for the class

God, so much this. The 'promise' of BP could have been great, then they nerfed the hell out of its activation triggers for no particular reason at all- even at 100% crit uptime, for many builds it would not be broken- really it's the crit synergy runes that should have been examined if they were the reason this ring got throttled so badly. The idea of opening up entirely new gearing paradigms is actually pretty cool given how restricted you really are in this game in affix-space.
+1
02/27/2016 06:24 AMPosted by WalkinTall
What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that Blizzard took someone's novel idea at Blizzcon because it sounded cool but didn't care much for real world gameplay applications.
I'm not a big fan of the ring, to be honest. I would rather have something interesting. CoE isn't really interesting. People use it because on average, it's "50%" damage (or lower if you are Monk).
02/27/2016 10:08 AMPosted by Fauxlivia

well, unity has been in the game longer, and focus has been put on making alternatives for that one ring this recent patch. So that's why we have gotten so many defensive new rings in 2.4, So I'm sure more alternatives is on the way for CoE, SoJ is still without a legendary affix, BK-ring needs a buff and proper effect so I have faith in new ones coming up
unity needs its own slot,

the ring is ok, maybe rotating between 2 elements would bring up a 75% flat buff,

slightly increase frs time to maybe 8 seconds, rename restraint to r and r, and win.
Meh, I sacrifice a bit and use SoJ instead. It's something I can depend on and I don't care about bleeding edge min/max to begin with.
Give me a 40-50 % dmg reduction ring for Monk and I'd throw that CoE right out the door !!
04/14/2016 06:22 AMPosted by Phosphono
Meh, I sacrifice a bit and use SoJ instead. It's something I can depend on and I don't care about bleeding edge min/max to begin with.

soj is the bossest ring in the game, although it could use another prefix.

seriously theyll take out taeguk but not coe?
The ring is boring. It's just a flat damage boost that doesn't really reward you for taking multiple elements. I just feel forced to use it because aside from RoRG, the other options just don't seem viable. What I'd prefer it did, is do 15% (multiplicative) damage for each element you hit an enemy with.

That way you have a bonus, but it actually requires something of you to get it aside from waiting. It also makes the legendary gems interesting by virtue of their elements. You could have a "one with everything" damage build with a Monk, you'd have greater Tal Rasha synergy, etc. It would also, for some builds, free up the Amulet slots just a bit, due to the nature of how spread out your elemental damage would be.
im colour blind, doesnt change my game play at all when i use one.