Dear Blizzard - A recent bad purchase experience, conce

General Discussion
Dear Blizzard - A recent bad purchase experience, concerning account holders once in one country, who moved to another country.

I am american, and have held a blizz account for years. 5 years ago, i moved to japan,
downloading the old content while in japan, didnt effect me, but trying to make purchases did.

Things I was not able to do
- add my japanese phone number for confirmations
- pay with a japanese online visa credit card

I was able to purchase with a regular japanese CC, however,
its basically maxed out, and i would prefer to not use it.

When I had problems I contacted support.

They said, that I cannot add a japanese number to a US account,
and for payment problems, simply change the payment source.

wow, easier said than done.

They also said, I cant add the phone number to a US account,
but I can to a japanese account.

Um yea had I known this prior to buying diablo 3 starter kit, I would have created a new account, and possibly solved all other future problems
So I proceeded to purchase, with my normal account using my regular japanese CC,
everything worked fine.
But when I was ready to purchase, the expansion for D3, My CC was maxed, so I couldnt use it.
I instead wanted to use the pre-paid card, from the japanese conbini.
Paypal confirmed everything, that it was working fine, but blizzard wouldnt accept it, simply because for some reason they cannot process a japanese card, from a US based account.
Im sorry but this is a REAL effing pain in the !@#!

So one account, I have D3, then I would have to open a new account for JPN, and try to purchase only the expansion on that?? yea i think somehow that would be impossible.
I just want yall to fix the problem, from your side if possible.
Ill be moving to china next year, I guess that means sadly I must create a new CHINESE account if I wish to purchase with a chinese prepaid card or something, or i want to register a chinese cell phone number. But why does it have to be so complicated?
Isnt there a way I can do all of these basic purchases, using my own original account?
Its like i am being punished because I am an international person, and travelling is my life,
so its like "oh sorry that doesnt work for us"

Just today I went on steam. I used the same card, to purchase a game, worked fine, no problems.
NOW i will say, i did first start the steam account, as a japan as my country of living. So I dont know if that means, this is the exact same situation. But somehow I feel like steam wouldnt F me like you guys did recently.

I just had a really tough time, with what should be making a simple purchase recently, and i wanted to share my whoas, in hopes that perhaps some-how a change could be made, to make things better.

and mods, if this is in the wrong place, im sorry. I simply do not know the exact right place, for my thread. whats more general, than general discussion. and sorry if this thread doesnt fit into "general discussion" just move the thread, if thats the case, but please dont delete this.

I believe one simple way, would be to give me the option, of changing my US account to a JPN account, of course this couldnt be done easily I know, but isnt that the issue here? This is a united world, we need to game like it! and game developers need to unite, not divide!
This rule has been in place since release. BTW China has a free to play version of D3.
02/29/2016 12:05 AMPosted by Doc
I believe one simple way, would be to give me the option, of changing my US account to a JPN account, of course this couldnt be done easily I know, but isnt that the issue here? This is a united world, we need to game like it! and game developers need to unite, not divide!

You can do that. The financial status of the account is based on the country listed in your address. If you want to change the country you can, but it takes a bit of work. You will need to submit documentation to Blizzard to switch the country to your new address. You can read about it here https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/2700028 Once you have the required documents, click the contact link in the article and it takes you straight to the proper page of the ticket system where you can submit the docs.
02/29/2016 08:07 AMPosted by MissCheetah
You can do that. The financial status of the account is based on the country listed in your address. If you want to change the country you can, but it takes a bit of work. You will need to submit documentation to Blizzard to switch the country to your new address. You can read about it here https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/2700028 Once you have the required documents, click the contact link in the article and it takes you straight to the proper page of the ticket system where you can submit the docs.
I love how Blizzard makes you jump through hoops to declare you country of residence - and you're trying to GIVE THEM MONEY.

I'll chalk this up to the Blizzard Balance fiasco.
02/29/2016 08:45 AMPosted by Shivera
I love how Blizzard makes you jump through hoops to declare you country of residence - and you're trying to GIVE THEM MONEY.

I'll chalk this up to the Blizzard Balance fiasco.

What bnet balance fiasco? Was there some sort of issue with it that I missed? I am pretty sure the only thing Bnet balance did was make it so that they have to take bnet balance into consideration when changing the address, hence the cap and the warnings.

The country change process has been this way for a long time, before bnet balance started in 2012. Different countries have different laws regarding gameplay/content, products, services, and contests, in addition to the laws regarding finances. It is not just about money, although that is important. For example, today I learned that the Recruit a Friend program in WoW is illegal in Denmark, South Africa, and other countries. It looks like people changing country locations to avoid the legal restrictions may have been the reason they removed the ability for a player to change the country without proof. There are also countries where Blizzard, as a US company, is prohibited from selling/allowing use of their games due to sanctions.

Blizzard has to make a solid effort to verify the accuracy of the account data and deliver content and product options in compliance with the laws of those countries/regions.

They are pretty serious about account security as well. You can't change the name on the account without legal documentation showing a name change. Preventing easy name and country changes also helps deter theft/transfer of accounts.

So really, the answer is most likely "because our lawyers said so".