Gem upgrades on PTR reverted to snail's pace

General Discussion
Well, wouldn't be the first time... They fixed Invokers, everyone loved it and they changed ir back... They get off on it I suppose..
04/09/2016 08:17 PMPosted by MeWhenum
I would laugh so hard if it turned out the speedy 2.4 upgrades were a bug which they are now fixing.

"So we accidentally added a feature that everyone liked. It was a bug and now we fixed it to be worse. You're welcome!"
Pretty sure that's what happened.
And it won't be documented, of course, because it would mean Blizzard admitting failure.
Please, I beg you blizzard, I know it seems silly but this little thing is going to bug me A LOT if it goes live. I saw at least 3+ threads about it in PTR, plus this thread, so no excuse if it is still here on patch day...
This is one we've had our eye on for a while and we're still working on, but here's the current status.

Previously we ran into an issue where accelerating the gem upgrade speed with Urshi was causing the animation confirming whether your upgrade was successful to fail to appear. You may have experienced this yourself - really frustrating. In response to this, we made another change to slow down the upgrade speed to ensure that those confirmations would fire off. The result is that now the speed is slower again.

We're not happy with the upgrade speed as it stands, and this is actively on our radar. It's going to require additional work to fully fix, meaning that if we do find a solution, it won't happen before 2.4.1 goes live.
At least this can be patched in anytime in the future without affecting game play issues-balance etc.
Soon*er the better!
We have plenty of game options on quality of graphics, etc. Make another check box option to have the slow animation or speedy result saying success or fail with no animation and then display the current chance after the result.
04/20/2016 05:24 PMPosted by Kauza
meaning that if we do find a solution, it won't happen before 2.4.1 goes live.

I take it that basically means you don't know whether it'll be fixed when 2.4.1 goes live or not?
you can't fix this? really? REALLY?

just....wow
04/20/2016 06:23 PMPosted by Amira
meaning that if we do find a solution, it won't happen before 2.4.1 goes live.

I take it that basically means you don't know whether it'll be fixed when 2.4.1 goes live or not?
There's not much to read between the lines, mate. It won't be fixed before 2.4.1.
04/20/2016 06:27 PMPosted by Gaius
There's not much to read between the lines, mate. It won't be fixed before 2.4.1.

That's not even what most ppl want to know, to be honest. It doesn't state whether it'll be fixed when 2.4.1 out if that's what it means.
This is one we've had our eye on for a while and we're still working on, but here's the current status.

Previously we ran into an issue where accelerating the gem upgrade speed with Urshi was causing the animation confirming whether your upgrade was successful to fail to appear. You may have experienced this yourself - really frustrating. In response to this, we made another change to slow down the upgrade speed to ensure that those confirmations would fire off. The result is that now the speed is slower again.

We're not happy with the upgrade speed as it stands, and this is actively on our radar. It's going to require additional work to fully fix, meaning that if we do find a solution, it won't happen before 2.4.1 goes live.

If its something you guys cant figure out heres an idea... Just move one of the UI elements so they dont overlap. Make the successful/unsuccessful message appear over our heads like when we do damage or when we gain life except just a little bigger.

Now you can revert it back to being faster and solve the other issue you had where it wouldn't go back to the other message.
04/20/2016 06:25 PMPosted by Kurnis
you can't fix this? really? REALLY?

just....wow

That's not what he said, idiot.

May I suggest a simpler line-art style display in the window? It'd look like this:

•---•---•---•

Where each of the dots flashes green for success or red for failure. It can be done quickly, and you see how many chances you have left (fourth dot is for empowered rifts only).

Instead of having to animate the entire window, you animate just the line art section, thereby speeding things up tremendously in terms of animation while letting players click relatively fast like they do now. The percentage number can appear just above the line art display instead of on the button so you aren't waiting for that to change as well.

The dots would of course, be a generic arcade style "gem" or such for simple implementation.
Lets see.. I have a 45 gem, it is now 48, I wonder how many succesful upgrades it had..

You may have experienced this yourself - really frustrating.

I honestly don't care at all.. I could not care less.. I just want fast upgrades, not /exit that's faster then upgrades... :(
accelerating the gem upgrade speed with Urshi was causing the animation confirming whether your upgrade was successful to fail to appear.

I would rather prefer the accelerated gem upgrade with the confirmation animation problem, than the slow gem upgrade. With gear augments and empowered grifts we are upgrading gems quite frequently, so the accelerated gem upgrade was appreciated.
With gem levels appearing on the gem in the upgrade selection box this is not really an issue. I assume most people spam the upgrade button to get it over with as fast as possible.

You can see what level the gem is after by simply looking at the gem in the upgrade window.

The solution mentioned above by The Tias of creating a visual for success rather than prompting a message is by far the best option. You wouldn't even need to read anything, just see a gem light up or not for success.

The worst solution is reverting back to slow upgrades...unfortunately it is probably also the easiest solution as it is already in the system and this is why it is happening.
I would rather "suffer" and be "frustrated" with this accelerated gem upgrade in 2.4 than what you have now on PTR 2.4.1. Please just revert it back to how it is on live and "fix" it later. Do not let the PTR version release. Just put it back.

Seriously, this. The overwhelming majority of the time I'm just trying to spam-click the same gem regardless of success or failure, not making a different decision based on the outcome.

If your "solution" to one problem creates another problem that is worse than what the original problem was, you need to go back to square one on your design.

Why not just disable the upgrade button for 1 second so the upgrade animation completes?

Players will be more acceptable with the 1 second delay.

I rarely visit these forums, but even then, replies like this are a bit mentally exhausting to hear. So many issues which are created every patch, but are 'unable to be fixed before the patch hits', and then doesn't end up getting fixed until the next major patch 5-6 months later.

Hoping for fixes to happen in this game is the exhausting part. Although....I'm surprised at the amount of blue posts.

04/20/2016 05:35 PMPosted by Blackarrows
At least this can be patched in anytime in the future without affecting game play issues-balance etc.
Soon*er the better!

Well, I won't pretend I can stop you from being an optimist, but from past experience, nothing will be fixed mid-season.

I say that, but am not an oracle...I simply feel it's not a good idea to get your hopes up for something that hasn't been proven true in the past.

Edit: 4 days later, 11 downvotes and not a single argument.

Typical of this forum.