Planning to buy a laptop just for d3

Technical Support
Will this laptop work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CXOWNKA/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?qid=1459303603&sr=8-12&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=laptop+i5+processor

Planning to play on low quality setting

Please help!! Low budget
Laptop... no.
please don't. save your money and build your own pc. You can already afford a good video card for what you're going to spend on that thing.
03/29/2016 07:23 PMPosted by War
Laptop... no.

Laptops are fine for D3.. dont chime in unless you know something.

This one is not fine though, doesnt even have a GPU.. its not for gaming at all.

You will be spending minimum $1000 for a new laptop capable of running D3 smoothly
http://www.amazon.com/K501UX-15-inch-Gaming-Processor-Windows/dp/B0146DD02G/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1459305540&sr=1-10&keywords=asus+laptop

this would run it fine on med settings but on a small screen

http://www.amazon.com/GL752VW-17-3-inch-i7-6700HQ-Windows-Computer/dp/B018URWVZG/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1459305540&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=asus+laptop&psc=1

Would be much better
03/29/2016 07:37 PMPosted by tanthil
03/29/2016 07:23 PMPosted by War
Laptop... no.

This one is not fine though, doesnt even have a GPU.. its not for gaming at all.

You will be spending minimum $1000 for a new laptop capable of running D3 smoothly

Actually that intel chipsest in i3/i5/i7 cpius are pretty strong for an non-dedicated gpus. Afaik they have no ram and uses on board ram. tho. I don't know how much is gonna left after you run os (1,5gb?) and d3 (another 1,5?).
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Actually that intel chipsest in i3/i5/i7 cpius are pretty strong for an non-dedicated gpus. Afaik they have no ram and takes from that 4gb. Frankly speaking I don't know how much is gonna left after you run os (1,5gb?) and d3 (another 1,5?).

It does run off the ram and the laptop intel graphics are much weaker then the desktop chips.. just as a gti 980 desktop is much more powerful then a gti 980m laptop version of the gpu

Also the graphics would bottlenecked running off the crappy CPU ram.. dedicated GPU ram in decent cards is very high quality and fast RAM

The laptop linked is essentially one of the ones you would get if you went into best buy not knowing a dam thing about laptops and told the salesman you want a good laptop.. It runs off an I5 which is its only selling point and the rest of it is garbage.. bare minimums everywhere
You sir forgot 1TB of hdd, but yeah, overall you've got some point.

Btw I'm happy user of desktop i3 with hd7870 for few years and counting, I paid some funny money for it, even back then..Witcher 3 gets perma 60fps with mid-high specs. You just won't know untiil you realise that you didn't ever take your laptop out of your flat so screw mobility.
03/29/2016 07:58 PMPosted by nojsuanmejt

hdd is nothing nowadays, an SSD with space for your OS minimum is pretty much commonplace on everything but the base models
Laptops all fail within a year or two as the cooling fan will collect dust and dirt rendering the laptop overheating when you play D3.
When it is new you will think all is well, but a year goes by pretty quick and you suddenly can't play D3 easily anymore.

Buy a PC or build one and be happy for many years.

This is a fact.

People that believe laptops are fine go out and buy a new one every year.
03/29/2016 08:02 PMPosted by tanthil
03/29/2016 07:58 PMPosted by nojsuanmejt

hdd is nothing nowadays, an SSD with space for your OS minimum is pretty much commonplace on everything but the base models

I know, just been wink-winking. It's all about (many) people who think that they need that mobility. I thought the same back then, so I know this issue
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16834234037

This should suit you just fine.
03/29/2016 08:03 PMPosted by shivan
Laptops all fail within a year or two as the cooling fan will collect dust and dirt rendering the laptop overheating when you play D3.

Same thing happened when i bought new carpet

It was all good at first but within a year it had collected so much dust i had to replace it.

No, im just kidding....i vaccumed it..

Is that a serious post?
03/29/2016 08:08 PMPosted by RedCell

Most likely wont play it well.

Asus is a trustable brand... they make tonnes of "gaming laptops"

When they can "game" they are literally called "gaming laptops"

This one is just a "laptop"

Even the lower model i previously linked is classed as gaming, and its bare minimum

The R6 series is just an integrated gpu in the mobo... shared memory.. only added to the mobo because amd chip have !@#$ or no integrated graphics... and too boot the CPU is crap. you have pretty much linked him a downgrade on what he linked before that costs the same
If you are however going for cheap and for for sure going to just use laptops...
A10 > Intel graphics
if we are looking at laptops with dedicated as of whats released now intel> amd

If you are making a desktop aswell...
IF you are going cheap... again...
without dedicated graphics A10> Intel graphics
with dedicated graphics Intel>amd

Before my dad passed away and I bought him a graphics card he played diablo 3
using 7850k and also 8 gb of 2400 mhz ram (semi important with dedicated graphics on a10)
he was playing at 1080p at an average of 45-70 frames
The only reason I moved away from amd was due to the fact that they never followed through fully with co processing for greater graphics cards then the 260
03/29/2016 08:12 PMPosted by tanthil
03/29/2016 08:08 PMPosted by RedCell

Even the lower model i previously linked is classed as gaming, and its bare minimum

AMD's integrated graphics with their A series processors are pretty decent for the price. I played D3 on an A6 6660G lappy for 3 years before I built my desktop. Sure four player was choppy, but solo played smooth on low/medium without shadows etc.
03/29/2016 08:18 PMPosted by RedCell
03/29/2016 08:12 PMPosted by tanthil

AMD's integrated graphics with their A series processors are pretty decent for the price. I played D3 on an A6 6660G lappy for 3 years before I built my desktop. Sure four player was choppy, but solo played smooth on low/medium without shadows etc.

At the very best they are equal to intell 5500...

But you are getting a far inferior CPU and playing a CPU intense game if you go with AMD.

But thats beside the point, im saying personally i would never touch anything w/o dedicated graphics for gaming.

but if you are go with intel
few years back, had laptop with GTX 560m and that ran D3 just fine on high.
Find laptop with like 960m (there's Dell one) and that will run it on high just fine.

Dust? clean regularly. don't just use duster to fan (that will potentially burn the GPU; hold the fan and then use).
Temperature? get a cooling pad or something. If you use laptop on hard, flat surface, you shouldn't need one though.
D3 isn't a GPU-demanding game (relatively speaking) and it's already a few years old. If you lower all settings to low, you can even run it with integrated card with few hiccups.