Tathamet and Anu

Lore and Story
I wonder if, for those that may know about how the lore in D3 may continue, we will ever encounter Tathamet and Anu.

"It is the sum total of all seven Evils housed within one body. There is an ancient legend, known only to a few, of the great Dragon, Tathamet, who was the original embodiment of evil. The legend says that he was ripped apart during an epic battle with Anu, and that the Burning Hells are composed of his remains."

--Tyrael

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Tathamet

It would be an epic battle and an amazing cinematic to fight or (choose to fight along side of) Tathemet or Anu. Obviously there would be no winner as without 1 we can't have the other. Imagine that some Nephalem get corrupted by Tathemet and become Evil while others are on the side of Good with Anu. There comes the PVP in Diablo.

"Then Diablo seeks to become the Dragon once again?"
"In a manner of speaking, yes."
— The Nephalem and Tyrael
Too bad Anu will never be complete because Tyrael is human now and Diablo has been the final boss of Diablo all the time.
I still don't understand what is the difference between Tathamet and The Prime Evil which we fought in D3 Act 4.
It was called Diablo, but wasn't it all 7 evils combined? Then why wasn't it called Tathamet?
wait, wasn't it just beliel and azmodan in the soul stone? what did i miss
Why did they have to bring it back to dragons... this isn't a high fantasy era game, it's a dark gothic fantasy dungeon crawler. Dragons are out of place.

Why can't Angels and Demons, the forces of Heaven and Hell have been battling in the eternal conflict since time immemorial.

We don't NEED a definitive answer. We don't need "A dragon did it" like every other friggen RPG on the planet.
04/07/2016 02:05 AMPosted by Shadòwforge
wait, wasn't it just beliel and azmodan in the soul stone? what did i miss

when you get the stone in Kull's soulstone chamber you see some souls getting sucked into it. Adria said that she was "marking" the souls of the other slain demon lords in the time she was away from her daughter so that they get sucked into the stone when it gets activated.
Tathamet is loosely based or influenced off Christian revelation of "The Beast" a.k.a "The beast from the sea".

Where as Diablo is more like the Devil (speaking like a Dragon) "The Beast from the Earth".
Therefor the two beast of revelation.

But I understand what your getting at why didn't we fight Tathamet in Act 4...if all the evils were united again.
I guess its maybe because of Leah's bloodline and therefor making Diablo being the primary dominate mind in the Prime Evil...well that's my best guess...well anyway its just a game named "Diablo" so take a good guess on who's gonna be the big bad guy in the game.

Also another interesting note then Prime Evil says "We ARE LEGION"...that is another reference to The Bible in which Jesus performs an exorcism on a man who is possessed by demons.

Also "We are Legion...For We Are Many" has been used in other pop-culture like for example the movie Ghost Rider - Blackheart absorbs all the souls and says this phase.

Technically this topic should be moved to Lore and Story.
04/07/2016 12:57 AMPosted by clueso
It was called Diablo, but wasn't it all 7 evils combined? Then why wasn't it called Tathamet?
According to the lore, the seven evils were each born from one of Tathamet's seven heads, whereas his body became the burning hells. I believe this is why Diablo doesn't truly become Tathamet, in that he would have to merge bodily with the burning hells in order to truly reconstitute the dragon. The seven becoming one brings him close, but Tathamet was more than his seven heads.

04/07/2016 03:30 AMPosted by MaskedReaper
Tathamet is loosely based or influenced off Christian revelation of "The Beast" a.k.a "The beast from the sea".

Where as Diablo is more like the Devil (speaking like a Dragon) "The Beast from the Earth".
Therefor the two beast of revelation.
Whereas there are definitely Judeo-Christian influences within the game [although it seems the devs are moving away from this where they can(one example being the fact that a crucifix is no longer used as the symbol of the Zakarum faith)], Tathamet seems to be a thinly veiled reference to Tiamat, the dragon of creation from Babylonian mythology, whose slain body was used to create the heavens and the earth. In the stories she is not evil, however, and she and her husband, Apsu (sounds a lot like Anu, no?), give birth to the gods who then rebel against them and kill them. The seven heads does indeed appear to be a reference to Revelation, but I believe that's where it ends.

Just a side note, most Biblical scholars agree that the Great Red Dragon is Satan; the Beast from the Sea is the Antichrist; and the Beast from the Earth is the False Prophet, not the Devil.
I really asked this because we really have nobody else to kill correct? I mean we have killed all the Lesser and Prime Evils and now even an Angel...where to next besides Diablo...again (a corrupt Nephalem maybe..that just seems too easy?)
Aren't all of the Evils loose now, again? It may take them time to reconstitute themselves, just as it took Tyrael something like 20 years to pull himself together after the destruction of the Worldstone between Diablo II and Diablo III (plot for Diablo IV, presumably).

I would imagine if/when there's another expansion for Diablo III, the only worthy foe would be another Nephalem. I think it's foolish to believe that our character is the only one out there. Surely others will rise and there will be conflicts.

So if there's to be another expansion, here's my thoughts on it. I think it would be interesting if other Nephalem rise and attract even more unwanted attention from the Heavens. Imperius seems to have it out for humankind, and one would think he'd have it out for any of the Nephalem variety most of all. Also, humanity narrowly avoided the genocide vote last time, but if a Nephalem actually started causing huge problems it may provoke another vote or unilateral action.

I wouldn't mind seeing another Act or two being added where another Nephalem, or group of them, had been victims at the hands of both demons and angels during the events of Diablo 3. Understandably, they'd be grumpy at that and with all of their newfound power strike back at both sides. The heavens and the hells would be vulnerable to any kind of attack at this point, but neither are entirely toothless and retaliation would be inevitable.

I think this would be interesting because it could potentially put your character in a difficult position where he/she can see both sides of the issue but is forced to pick one. Hell, the last boss could possibly switch from, say, Inarius or the other Nephalem depending on a decision you make.

Or maybe they'll just send us to Skovos and find out that somehow Leah's soul is hanging around there and we get to somehow put her to rest while beating up whoever messed with the new Horadrim that Tyrael sent there. Whatever. :)