Things To Remember When Calculating Damage

Barbarian
[This is accurate as of 2.4.1]

I see these mistakes time and time again...

This is not a guide for calculating your damage, but it does have some general rules you should remember and use.

1. Is your damage bonus additive or multiplicative?

This can vary from class to class and item to item. A simple, but not always true, rule to use is: does the damage bonus show up in your character sheet? It is most likely additive. Do you not see any indication of the damage bonus from your character's stat sheet or profile? Good chance it is multiplicative.

2. Additive does not mean you add the damage bonus to your skill's weapon damage.

An example would be Fury of the Vanished Peak's Seismic Slam damage. It is what we call additive, but we do not add the (100-125%) damage increase on top of Seismic Slam's 620% weapon damage. We still multiply the 620% weapon damage by the 125% Seismic Slam damage increase. Instead when we say additive, we mean you take all of the additive sources of damage bonus and add them all together before multiplying by your skill damage. For instance, you would take FotVP's 125% and add it to Battle Rage's 10% and get 135% total additive damage. If this is your total additive damage bonus, you now multiply this by your skill damage.

I believe Nubtro has a thread out there somewhere that lists most bonuses and what category they fall under. If all else fails, a simple Google query will lead you where you want to be because I guarantee you there is already a thread or discussion talking about the bonus.

LINK (thanks N4 for finding it): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/19015752126#2

3. Damage bonuses are usually listed in percentages.

This is the most common mistake I see. I will see player after player take a 100% damage increase and multiply their skill damage by (*1) and call it a day. 100% increased damage means you are doubling your damage. Doubling your damage means multiplying by 2. If we extrapolate this further...

50% ==> *1.5
100% ==> *2
200% ==> *3
250% ==> *3.5
500% ==> *6
750% ==> *8.5
1000% ==> *11

An easy way of remembering this is simply adding (+1) to the damage bonus when it is in percentage form to get your multiplier. For example, Berserker: Insanity is a 50% damage increase. You take (+1) and (+50%) to get (*1.5). Remember, with percentages you have to move the decimal two places. So 50% becomes 0.5, but then you add that (+1) to get your multiplier.

4. You take each category and multiply them together to get your final damage increase

Your categories are basically each final multiplier you may have

a) Additive
b) Elite
c) Elemental
d-z) Each additional multiplier ranging from Bane of the Trapped to Insanity to Focus to Restraint (remember, these are each separate) to Set Bonuses
Also remember nubro takes donations via sammichs. Beer. Anything to do with food and money in general. And a simple thank you for fixing math which you failed in high school.

But thank you for the post jako. If your post doesn't help anyone all Is lost.
Great info!
Brilliant. A great primer.
Jako's the last action hero.
Nice one Jako, thanks!
Don't listen to this guy people. He is sabotaging Barb Higher Race, got upset because Barb Thorns build is a part of new meta, while Sader Thorns is still in the dust.

Just kidding here:) Good info Jako, and I think the list by Nubtro you are talking about is here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/19015752126#2

Was updated for 2.4 and I am sure to politely ask him to update it for 2.41 as I did before, because it is really handy to have it readily available:)

You may wanna add it to OP, for clarity, than I will happily reference to your thread instead, when I'll see players in need:)
04/22/2016 08:41 AMPosted by Siladil
Jako's the last action hero.

https://youtu.be/yMxY0Lxo_ow

This is how I spend my weekends.
Might need a sticky for this...
Jako we need a webinar on this topic.
Hey Jako,

Do you mind if I reference your guide in mine?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/18710646678#1
I have a section that I list other class perspectives and I'd like to include yours. Its got good examples and that link to the barb categories from Nubtro is really nice.

Thanks!
Jako doesn't mind. He needs King Ben approval though, because he is the true Chief. And most likely you will have to pay a tribute to Henry. Just because he is Henry.
05/25/2016 11:36 AMPosted by Jako
Might need a sticky for this...

Feel Free. Then it'll be sticky, I bet.

On a serious note, thanks for putting this info out Jako. Very good tips.
05/25/2016 01:38 PMPosted by TastySouP
Hey Jako,

Do you mind if I reference your guide in mine?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/18710646678#1
I have a section that I list other class perspectives and I'd like to include yours. Its got good examples and that link to the barb categories from Nubtro is really nice.

Thanks!

Go for it. Quote, paraphrase, link, whatever. Help spread the information is my motto.
05/25/2016 02:38 PMPosted by Foamy7
Feel Free.

Way ahead of ya!
We need a conference call to discuss the particulars mentioned in the OP. Preferably with facetime, skype, and whatsapp.
Man. Can't we just use TeamSpeak?

I don't know how to use all those fancy little gizmos and doodads.
04/18/2016 03:46 PMPosted by Jako

50% ==> *1.5
100% ==> *2
200% ==> *3
250% ==> *3.5
500% ==> *6
750% ==> *8.5
1000% ==> *11

An easy way of remembering this is simply adding (+1) to the damage bonus when it is in percentage form to get your multiplier. For example, Berserker: Insanity is a 50% damage increase. You take (+1) and (+50%) to get (*1.5). Remember, with percentages you have to move the decimal two places. So 50% becomes 0.5, but then you add that (+1) to get your multiplier.

4. You take each category and multiply them together to get your final damage increase

Your categories are basically each final multiplier you may have

a) Additive
b) Elite
c) Elemental
d-z) Each additional multiplier ranging from Bane of the Trapped to Insanity to Focus to Restraint (remember, these are each separate) to Set Bonuses

This section will be particularly helpful to the common misconceptions round here.

Nice, Jako.
Thanks dude.

I might try to add another section or two. Seen some forum posts have come up that aren't explicitly mentioned in this that might help (i.e. 1h vs. 2h).
You finally did something acceptable.

Don't fuhk it up.