My experience competing on the S5 leaderboard.

General Discussion
It was not an enjoyable experience in the end.

This game is not fun at the high end, you fish and fish and fish some more and waste time farming keys in Torment X for hours on end. Prior to this you must farm up over 1000 gem levels to enchant your gear with mainstat (fun! -sarcasm-) using Caldesann's Despair (fitting name). Even Chainer; someone who makes their living off of playing Diablo just flat out gave up at the end. It's not fun.

Before I made it to my final push I was Gung-ho about putting all my effort and time to good use. 150 keys later the only two rifts I got that were remotely clear-able were met with bursts of lag that caused me to fail by 3 seconds and 15 seconds respectively. This kind of leaderboard, that requires you to play at minimum 6 hours a day for months of your life and then subjects you to elements of RNG that far surpass anything else I've ever experienced in any game, is well, stupid.

I will still attempt to go for rankings on the Conquest leaderboards. Those in my opinion, are for the most part; well designed.

TLDR; I've changed my stance on the competitive aspect of Diablo, it's something I can't enjoy and really regret putting my time into. I expect a lot of downvotes and people telling me that I'm an idiot and I totally agree.
I wont downvote at all because in a way, these leader boards are bad for s5.
Blizzard did well (eventually) to ban bots and such. This did not hit those that benefited from playing with those that used these programs.
And how could it... One could play in a pub game for a game night, get paired and stick with the same group running high end GR and not even know the other 3 ran bots the entire season. What fairness would it be for this unsuspecting player to get banned for this 1 night of playing?

Unfortunately the situation carried on so long prior that it almost corrupted the boards in the first 48 hours.
Personally, I play to have fun, If I ever make boards I would be shocked. Though, 1 good lucky rift with the right skill/gear/no-lag situation, one could make it.
I'm doubting if I'm going to play this coming season. I didn't play this last one, but I managed to get high on the Wizard leaderboards in previous seasons. I don't have a lot of time to play and I have fairly low PL.

Still, I was able to compete in the older seasons, even though I was at a disadvantage. I returned to the game recently and noticed how they added this "Caldesann's Despair" thing. I fear that as a solo player with limited time, that I won't be able to compete any more because of changes like these.
Give HC a try bud :)

I was only paragon 868(I am a solo guy) and ended up at rank 41 with a 77 on the DH boards. Levels aren't over inflated like SC and even moderate paragon could be in the top 100.
I stated S5 on Day 1 with great enthusiasm and plans. In a week I found that there was nobody in my former clan to run with me while getting a group through advertising was next to impossible . I fell behind in the paragon grind quickly and moved after week 3 to other games. I plan to try again in S6, will see how grouping goes.
04/15/2016 05:56 PMPosted by CyLaNt

I was only paragon 868(I am a solo guy) and ended up at rank 41 with a 77 on the DH boards. Levels aren't over inflated like SC and even moderate paragon could be in the top 100.

I'm not sure if it's my cup of tea. I don't have that much time and it would be a bit of a shame to have to start over when a character dies, which isn't that unlikely given that I prefer playing Wizard. I did play HC in PoE, but you could continue in SC if a character died there.

Also, I got to rank 30 or something only just two season back. I only had 700 PL, but it wasn't THAT big of a gap. I don't understand why they didn't uphold that balance. They just seemingly added a lot of changes this last season which seem to specifically screw over solo players who play the leaderboards.

It's just really a shame because I doubt that I'm the only one. I was already at a disadvantage, but now I just got thrown out of the league for no reason.
04/15/2016 04:04 PMPosted by kwittstruck
I wont downvote at all because in a way, these leader boards are bad for s5.
Blizzard did well (eventually) to ban bots and such. This did not hit those that benefited from playing with those that used these programs.
And how could it... One could play in a pub game for a game night, get paired and stick with the same group running high end GR and not even know the other 3 ran bots the entire season. What fairness would it be for this unsuspecting player to get banned for this 1 night of playing?

Unfortunately the situation carried on so long prior that it almost corrupted the boards in the first 48 hours.
Personally, I play to have fun, If I ever make boards I would be shocked. Though, 1 good lucky rift with the right skill/gear/no-lag situation, one could make it.

The legit player shouldn't get banned in your example however I feel that the record should be vacated as if it never happened if other members of the team are banned for cheating.
04/15/2016 05:56 PMPosted by CyLaNt

Well this is fun.

150 keys later the only two rifts I got that were remotely clear-able were met with bursts of lag that caused me to fail by 3 seconds and 15 seconds respectively.

I doubt OP will resort to HC :P
Cool story, no one cares.
04/15/2016 03:14 PMPosted by Spagetto
It was not an enjoyable experience in the end.

This game is not fun at the high end, you fish and fish and fish some more and waste time farming keys in Torment X for hours on end. Prior to this you must farm up over 1000 gem levels to enchant your gear with mainstat (fun! -sarcasm-) using Caldesann's Despair (fitting name). Even Chainer; someone who makes their living off of playing Diablo just flat out gave up at the end. It's not fun.

Before I made it to my final push I was Gung-ho about putting all my effort and time to good use. 150 keys later the only two rifts I got that were remotely clear-able were met with bursts of lag that caused me to fail by 3 seconds and 15 seconds respectively. This kind of leaderboard, that requires you to play at minimum 6 hours a day for months of your life and then subjects you to elements of RNG that far surpass anything else I've ever experienced in any game, is well, stupid.

I will still attempt to go for rankings on the Conquest leaderboards. Those in my opinion, are for the most part; well designed.

TLDR; I've changed my stance on the competitive aspect of Diablo, it's something I can't enjoy and really regret putting my time into. I expect a lot of downvotes and people telling me that I'm an idiot and I totally agree.

I totally agree.

My 4 man group pushed 111 for about 700 keys, and that was the most hilariously awful !@#$show of server locking lag i've ever experienced.

They need better servers, or to do a major number squish, because their !@#$ is falling apart!