So...how does one even make friends in this game?

General Discussion
I've spent most of my time on this game, specially during Reaper of Soul, as a solo player. Which is unlike me as i'm usually pretty sociable online and like being part of team efforts. I've raided for years in WoW for example and still actively play 3v3 arena in it which de-facto requires networking and even voice communication.

But in this game, i'm at a complete and total loss as far as multiplayer goes. The only time i had an active clan during Reaper of Soul was in season 3, a season i played exclusively in Hardcore mode.

One of the reasons i actually normally play that mode (and been doing so since D2 days) was that i figured that finding friends and communities would be easier there, and i was right. Usually difficulty breeds friendships. But i can't play that mode anymore for multiple reasons, the primary one being my unreliable computer (its very old and overdue for a replacement which will come fairly soon). At the start of season 4 i lost four characters in the same week end to technical issues. I sorted most of them but it still discouraged me from it as it only takes one hiccup to erase hundreds of hours of efforts.

So fast forward season 5, i was actually pretty hooked on PoE at that time so i started that season almost a month late, figuring the fact i was so much behind the curve was my main issue with getting into groups, i spent it all on my own and in pub games till i quit it after reaching the Guardian portrait.

Not wanting to do the same mistake, i started this one with pretty much everyone, mind you i'm not a super duper hardcore player anymore but i feel my progression is still fairly in line with the pack at least by now.

Yet i still can't get invited to clans i apply to (and no i'm not aiming for high end ones, i'm just looking for active ones regardless of the play level).

I tried pugging Grifts and the environement is just as cold as regular rift games, maybe even worse as there's a "cost" attached to them.

Community channels are all but pointless from what i can see.

So... what the hell am i doing wrong? Just kinda getting really bored of solo play.

I don't feel it should be that hard to meet and befriend people in a game that pride itself on its multi-player experience above all else.

I mean, even Diablo 2, who's social "UI" was limited to dos-style commands felt better in that regard than this, for me anyway.
D3's fast pace doesn't facilitate a lot of chat. You're either clicking away and blowing up monsters or you're not doing anything at all. Combine that with the steamroll nature of the difficulty system, and there's little left in the way of impressing people. No one talks, and everyone can blow up T10.
from my experience, you just make friends playing with em. go on community channels or just general chat to search for the type of games you're looking for (bounty, rift, etc). every now and then there are willing and talkative people. then afterwards just send em a friend request. be social. lol
Yar, don't use the public game system for friends, that hasn't worked in a while now.

Communities are the best place to make friends.
I know what you mean, I spent a lot of time solo in this game, even though I'd prefer to play with friends/other people. One way I finally started to meet people was to join Public games instead of just making private solo games (what a shock!) and started a conversation. You can occasionally meet people that you enjoy talking to and playing with, and then just friend them for the future.

Alternately I meet people in general chat who are asking questions or need help with something.
In its current state the game rebukes friends. Playing TX with friends is like bringing your friends to the queue at the airport. The maps are even shaped like a queue!
Snip.

We've met before on WoW through Schwert. Add me, I'll teach you the ways.
05/15/2016 08:36 PMPosted by Griever
I've spent most of my time on this game, specially during Reaper of Soul, as a solo player. Which is unlike me as i'm usually pretty sociable online and like being part of team efforts. I've raided for years in WoW for example and still actively play 3v3 arena in it which de-facto requires networking and even voice communication.

But in this game, i'm at a complete and total loss as far as multiplayer goes. The only time i had an active clan during Reaper of Soul was in season 3, a season i played exclusively in Hardcore mode.

One of the reasons i actually normally play that mode (and been doing so since D2 days) was that i figured that finding friends and communities would be easier there, and i was right. Usually difficulty breeds friendships. But i can't play that mode anymore for multiple reasons, the primary one being my unreliable computer (its very old and overdue for a replacement which will come fairly soon). At the start of season 4 i lost four characters in the same week end to technical issues. I sorted most of them but it still discouraged me from it as it only takes one hiccup to erase hundreds of hours of efforts.

So fast forward season 5, i was actually pretty hooked on PoE at that time so i started that season almost a month late, figuring the fact i was so much behind the curve was my main issue with getting into groups, i spent it all on my own and in pub games till i quit it after reaching the Guardian portrait.

Not wanting to do the same mistake, i started this one with pretty much everyone, mind you i'm not a super duper hardcore player anymore but i feel my progression is still fairly in line with the pack at least by now.

Yet i still can't get invited to clans i apply to (and no i'm not aiming for high end ones, i'm just looking for active ones regardless of the play level).

I tried pugging Grifts and the environement is just as cold as regular rift games, maybe even worse as there's a "cost" attached to them.

Community channels are all but pointless from what i can see.

So... what the hell am i doing wrong? Just kinda getting really bored of solo play.

I don't feel it should be that hard to meet and befriend people in a game that pride itself on its multi-player experience above all else.

I mean, even Diablo 2, who's social "UI" was limited to dos-style commands felt better in that regard than this, for me anyway.

Easiest way is to talk to people or help people. Always people looking to be power levelled, you do enough of those you will find someone who likes doing the same things you do.