Diablo 3 is biased against solo players

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
Highly Rated
The top of the solo leaderboards are filled with people who have legendary gems, and Caldeesann augments from higher greater rift levels then what they soloed.

Playing in a group awards more experience.

I'm guessing blizzard incentivizes group play because:
1) They require connection to their servers to play
2) Their servers cant handle that many solo instances?
Highly Rated
I made a thread about this the other day.

Right now the game is designed in a way where if you don't group play you're screwed compared to everyone else. And when you do play in a group, a lot of the time's you're matched with someone so much higher level than you you're not even getting to play the game, you're just getting power leveled and doing nothing.
This has been an issue since the dawn of the game.

Blizz will never address single players, and we're always left in the dust. The only way that would take away less of the torture is to not think about the competitive aspect of this game in every form. Even so, Blizz still manage to screw things up by making it difficult to obtain non-competitive things such as cosmetics which still inevitably favours playing in groups.
05/11/2016 08:51 AMPosted by Kevmeister

Blizz will never address single players, and we're always left in the dust. The only way that would take away less of the torture is to not think about the competitive aspect of this game in every form. Even so, Blizz still manage to screw things up by making it difficult to obtain non-competitive things such as cosmetics which still inevitably favours playing in groups.

In the beginning of the game, soloing was much more efficient so no one ever grouped. That's when they added the group buffs.
not just biased against solo players, but Non season players
And here I am a solo NS player :/
While i agree that the gap between solo and group is still too large and should be brought more in line with each other, group play will always be incentivized, just because it would be wierd to make soloplay more rewarding:
"hey wanna play together? I would, but you'll just slow me down, so no"
Its just something you can't really balance with a simple change/fix, If it would be, they probably would've done so by now.
Possible solutions include:
1) Stop providing bonus experience in groups
2) For solo greater rifts, cap the level of rift you can enter based upon your solo clears

3) Possibly cap legendary gem and augment levels at the level of the rift being attempted
If you are truly only play solo, it shouldn't matter.

The issue is if you tend to play more solo than group play.

For example someone playing 100percent solo isn't really only playing in their own microcosm.

A person playing 90 percent solo and 10 percent multiplayer would do worse then 90.percent multiplayer.

Shrug, I don't have a problem with incentivizing group. Play because the social aspect of this game is more important to me.

But I can see how others don't value it especially if you are solo oriented ed

Somewhat circular.
Is it possible for someone to play exclusively solo,and become rank 1 on their class' leaderboard?

No, because:
1) People who play in groups receive more experience and will have a higher paragon level
2) Group players will have legendary gems / augments higher then would be possible in solo play

Kinda defeats the purpose of a solo leaderboard
Does it matter if you are rank 1 or not, you're solo. Who are you competing against? Yourself.

If fact leaderboards really shouldn't even matter to a solo player for the most part. Other than for reference.
05/11/2016 10:41 AMPosted by Phatty
Does it matter if you are rank 1 or not, you're solo. Who are you competing against? Yourself.

If fact leaderboards really shouldn't even matter to a solo player for the most part. Other than for reference.

Then why even have solo leader boards at all?
There's solo class.

That's different from deciding to play solo.

The leaderboards was blizzards way to track power and for reference.

Philosophically, if you are truly solo, leaderboards of of little impact on you.

Since Blizzard does not have a solo mode and there's no way to select out multiplayer the leaderboard information is useless to the truly solo player.

So yes you're right there's no pointin having a leaderboard for the truly solo player.
Again I'm not saying the gap is irrelevant, it definitely pertains to people who tend to play more solo then multiplayer at times.

But a purely solo player, I. E. Offline mode. This stuff shouldn't really even matter.
Call me crazy, but isn't this sort of normal for a game which can be played both solo and multi-player?

Let's use an MMO as an example. You can play WoW totally solo if you want to, and you can probably even reach max level totally solo. (I wouldn't know, never played a single minute of WoW, I was an EQ junkie instead.) But, a pure solo player will *never* have the equipment and be able to do the hardest content that group players can do.
I take it you haven't seen my post? You're essentially forced to play one of the 4 classes in the 4 player meta (wiz, barb, wd, monk). Otherwise you're gimped.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/20743585767
05/11/2016 08:51 AMPosted by Kevmeister

Absolutely not true. Game was solo-centric for the longest time. The group buffs are relatively new considering the game's lifespan thus far, and that is the frustrating part.
It doesn't matter if you play solo or group. Unless you are willing to put in 16 hours a day to grind paragon you'll never be ranked one. That's all there is to it. Solo players can however reach a high enough rank of they try. And I'm saying too 50. Because down the road the paragon needed to gain 1 addition gr level is huge.

The augmented gear isn't bad. Because let's say you can clear a gr 85 solo constantly. That means you'll only lose 100 main stat from people grinding out 100 gr. Which of people don't know isn't a huge difference when you actually need 17% more damage each gr to beat it.

So if you clear a gr 95 solo playing. And the top clear is a 98 you should feel successful enough. Because 99% of this community won't clear over a 90 and that's a fact.

Play solo enjoy solo. Don't compare yourself to other people.
05/11/2016 10:33 AMPosted by Tayne
Is it possible for someone to play exclusively solo,and become rank 1 on their class' leaderboard?

No, because:
1) People who play in groups receive more experience and will have a higher paragon level
2) Group players will have legendary gems / augments higher then would be possible in solo play

Kinda defeats the purpose of a solo leaderboard

tHIS

You need massive group support to achieve the paragons and gem levels needed to push solo leaderboards. It's a dumb system.
It's easy to calculate how you are doing relatively on the leaderboards, since you know difficulty scales at 15 percent per grift level.

Factor in caldesans and your paragon and you can figure out how far off you have gimp ed yourself for playing solo. Considering your equipment and skill level is the same. Some builds have a higher skill cap then others.