Short stacking question

Witch Doctor
Can someone tell me where I can find out which abilities / actions stack with themselves?
For instance:
- Does Grasp of the Dead stack? (I have that mojo which removes cooldown: if I cast it 4 times over the same area, does the damage stack?)
- Does the small AoE fire from Burning Zombie Dogs stack amongst the dogs (so that if 5 dogs were surrounding one unit, it would take 5 x 80% damage, or still only just 1x80%)?

Thank you
Would also like to know if there is an option to turn off "smart loot"?
Thank you
05/13/2016 03:33 AMPosted by onomastikon
Can someone tell me where I can find out which abilities / actions stack

The common understanding of "stack" is adding up. I prefer to describe the mechanic as separate applications that are counted separately. Instead of seeing 5, 10, 15, 20, we will see 5, two 5s, three 5s, four 5s. They may mean the same thing to you, but those 2 sets of numbers have different implications to me.

The general grouping is that tagged DoTs refresh (those damage that follow the target everywhere they go, such as Haunt and Locust), and everything else including ground DoT or AOE DoT will have separate applications per cast or trigger. There is only 1 WD spell that behaves as both a tagged DoT and a ground DoT, and that is Wall of Death.

GotD - the more you cast, the more separate applications on the same area.
Burning Dogs - each dog has its own aura, separate applications. The tooltip has been wrong since D3 vanilla, need to half that tooltip value.
Wall of Death - you can cast up to 3 applications, the target gets tagged even if they walk out of the AOE, after the DoTs expire and they walk back into the AOE, they become tagged again.
Thank you very much. That is very helpful, also and in particular your differentiation in terminology. Yes, I wanted to know whether additional applications of GotD and similar types of spells applied additional ticks of damage (much like Meteor might) or not (much like Blizzard will not).

Do you know if there is a possiblity for turning of "smart loot" so that I might obtain things for my DH or Crusader?

Thank you!
05/14/2016 01:05 AMPosted by onomastikon
Do you know if there is a possiblity for turning of "smart loot" so that I might obtain things for my DH or Crusader?

Current design of the game, you'll need to play the other character class, or join mixed groups to loot-share.

An alternative method is to get power levelled to 70, then farm with one character and swap characters to gamble at Kadala. Since Paragon levels are carried across classes, once you have the relevant items, you immediately jump to equivalent GR capability, so that takes the exploration and fun out of playing multiple classes.
Thank you.

Last question: What about things such as Necrosis (from the Helltooth set)? It says "When you hit enemies with" certain skills. Does that mean that individual instances of Necrosis reapply on top of each other, or only that the timer or 10 seconds is reset?