I no longer get excited to find a legendary/set item

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
05/01/2016 07:57 PMPosted by SGTMillshous
In my opinion, when I run out of stash space by hour 10 of gameplay due to me finding so many legendaries, then the game is too easy.
I think you need to be introduced to Haedrig...

05/01/2016 10:08 PMPosted by Thingamajig
It's like this because blizzard appeals to the casual gamer. They want stuff fast and have a.d.d
Actually I don't have A.D.D.

But I do have other disabilities that take away from Diablo:
- Job
- Kids
- Wife
- Softball, golf, tennis and hockey
- Coaching
- A house
- Swimming pool
- Hobbies

I'm grateful I don't have to spend 16 hours a day to actually play and enjoy the game. It's the reason I quite MMOs!
To the OP:

I was like you, but I decided to try a class that I used to hate in the past: wizard.

I always thought that they were to squishy. so for a very very long time, I played either monk or crusader and I have to admit that it got stale, since I basically saw everything that had to be seen for those two classes.

I see that you also concentrated on just a few classes.

Why not try a new one?

For my wizard, I didn't even powerleveled in order to see the whole process/progression for the class and I have to admit that it is fun and refreshing and yes, I'm very curious to see what legendaries that wizard has!

If this does not work, I guess it might be time for you to try another game!

Happy gaming!
05/01/2016 07:57 PMPosted by SGTMillshous
I miss the grind. Not the grind to find 50 of the SAME legendary, just so that I can get one more percent of DPS from it, but the grind to find a legendary in general.

Ummmm, absolutely nothing has changed in this respect...

If each season took me a month to complete a set I would quit on the first day. :/ Ain't nobody got time for that.
05/02/2016 12:15 PMPosted by Drothvader
If each season took me a month to complete a set I would quit on the first day. :/ Ain't nobody got time for that.
But do you agree that a set should be completed in a day? Less so with Haedrig's gift? I don't find a month unreasonable if it's casual play as you're describing.

If you're talking a month of 16 hr day grindfests, then no. But a month of casual play? 10 hours a week? 40 hours? Entirely reasonable for a full set after 40 hours. What we have now is a full set after 4 hours. It's a bit ridiculous.
05/02/2016 02:44 PMPosted by Shivera
But do you agree that a set should be completed in a day? Less so with Haedrig's gift? I don't find a month unreasonable if it's casual play as you're describing.

Yes, you're rinsing and repeating a process that very few people actually want to repeat EVERY season.

Look, more seasoned players are going to get their 6 piece sets within the first day or two no matter what. Meanwhile, more casual players are going to take a week to a month to complete the set naturally. What this does is more or less put the two camps on somewhat equal footing so that more people are enticed to play a Season.

If you're going to spend the first 1/3 of your Season just getting to a point where you can start farming then what's the point? People already complain about having to level as it is, the complaints would be worse if you had to slog through a slow grind every season's start. Haedrig's Gift is a huge factor in player retention.

There are other games on the market that cater toward your no-life view on what an ARPG should be, perhaps it's time to just retire this game and move on.
OP, if you want to play D2, go play D2. Quit complaining that D3 is not D2...and make no mistake, that's what your post is...
Does OP want to run around in yellows or something lol

Or spend hours to get a legendary, only to find out it's a blackthornes, heart of iron, krede's flame, or any of many other undesirable "legendaries"?
05/02/2016 03:09 PMPosted by ta11geese3
Does OP want to run around in yellows or something lol

Or spend hours to get a legendary, only to find out it's a blackthornes, heart of iron, krede's flame, or any of many other undesirable "legendaries"?

That's exactly what we had at RoS launch and it royally sucked.

Imagine if you not only went back to 2-4 hours between Legendary items, but had the item pool we have now, items could be Ancient, and Caldesann's gift was implemented requiring said item to be Ancient to use it.

It would take years just to complete one single set.

Those complaining about the easy set right now neither have fully Ancient gear, nor have they used Caldesann's Despair on every piece they own. They just want it to take forever to complete a set without any real logic rooted in game mechanics other than some fallacious attitude like #MakeLegendariesLegendaryAgain

This game literally cannot support a decrease in droprates but now it feels like a much smoother transition instead of blind luck dictating when you can start playing high end content.
05/02/2016 03:04 PMPosted by StoneOld
OP, if you want to play D2, go play D2. Quit complaining that D3 is not D2...and make no mistake, that's what your post is...

I didn't create this post with Diablo 2 in mind, but the more I think about it, the more I can see the similarities between my thought process and D2. I posted this here because I have played D3 enough to have completed everything that I've wanted to complete, more than once.

I mean yeah, the legendary/set item pool is massive and to implement a system that would reduce the amount of leg drops would make getting a set very tedious. But wouldn't it make it a thousand times more rewarding to know that you finally completed the set that you have been working so hard for?

I just feel there is still a balancing act that hasn't happened. The user base that D3 has right now will continue to diminish over time, just like D2's did. But the people that love the game will always come back, and I feel that I will continue to come back, just like I go back to D2 sometimes.

I honestly would love the ability to play vanilla D3 again. Just because it was an actual challenge. But obviously without the AH, that was never a good thing.
- Job
- Kids
- Wife
- Coaching
- A house
- Swimming pool
- Hobbies

And you want D3 be designed around you, so that you can get everything as well here....
This way you're destroying the hobby of those who don't go to play softball, golf, tennis, hockey, coaching but rather play D3 instead.....

What would you say if people would limit softball, golf, tennis, hockey and coaching to you? after a very short time this stuff simply gets denied for you (by taking away the ball i.e.), you wouldn't be pleased either, right?
05/02/2016 08:59 AMPosted by Morogoth
05/01/2016 08:20 PMPosted by Yuttslayer
You may not but I still enjoy finding them. That is what kept me playing D2/LOD for over decade. Finding the shinnies.

i guess for some people all it takes is something shiny dangled in front of them to keep them entertained. kinda like jingling keys in front of a toddler.

reminds me of fishing. fish just cant resist a good shiny object. that small brain of theirs tells them they have to eat it no matter how many times it turns out they have found it to be a trap.

Are you saying we're a toddler or a fish?
Because I can be both at the same time.
05/03/2016 03:25 AMPosted by Aohige
Because I can be both at the same time.

pics ^-^
Spending alot of hours farming and get nothing so if you get everything handed to you, i have nothing positive to say to you.
05/03/2016 04:59 AMPosted by JOMSDK
Spending alot of hours farming and get nothing so if you get everything handed to you, i have nothing positive to say to you.

looking at your level 5 char, I'd say you got some things ^^
I get excited. More forgotten souls for me! :P
05/02/2016 03:18 PMPosted by Drothvader
That's exactly what we had at RoS launch and it royally sucked.

Imagine if you not only went back to 2-4 hours between Legendary items, but had the item pool we have now, items could be Ancient, and Caldesann's gift was implemented requiring said item to be Ancient to use it.
An hour between Legendary items would be perfectly acceptable.

D3v drop rates were entirely too low; D3 RoS are entirely too high. There IS a happy medium.

Ancients are supposed to be that happy medium (artificially, I might add) that seems to do neither excite players about finding an item nor alleviate issues concerning drop rates. Ancients are Blizzard's half-attempt at remedying the issue that truly accomplishes nothing.

Those complaining about the easy set right now neither have fully Ancient gear, nor have they used Caldesann's Despair on every piece they own. They just want it to take forever to complete a set without any real logic rooted in game mechanics other than some fallacious attitude like #MakeLegendariesLegendaryAgain
Not at all. The issue comes from the excitement one feels when a Legendary drops. Currently, they drop like candy, but only 1% are usable. Not only do you need the drop of the correct item, but you also need it to be Ancient. All of this serves to devalue the feeling you get when you find a legendary - players already know that 99% will be trash. This even extends to Green/Set items: how many players bemoan finding a Green Chest only to realize "oh, another Blackthorne's".

This game literally cannot support a decrease in droprates but now it feels like a much smoother transition instead of blind luck dictating when you can start playing high end content.
But here's where you are wrong. 100% factually wrong. To play "high-end" content, you MUST have all Ancient pieces, you MUST have high Paragon, and you MUST have Despair on each and every piece. You're not hitting GRift 100 much less GRift 80 without those.

Additionally, the "blind luck" factor has been extremely mitigated by not only Kadala, but the cube recipes to reforge and upgrade rare items. As a player, you have multiple methods to mitigating any kind of RNG the game may throw at you. As a player, you can enter T6 and do fairly well in yellows and a few haphazard Legendaries (not even a full set) provided you are decently optimized. Legendary Gems enhance this even further. Know what the greatest fun my wife had this Season? Cord of Sherma. She LOVED that item when she was leveling up and got a new one after 70. But after 70, she soon had to replace it with a more functional piece in-line with her set. Had drop rates been lower, she would have used that item for much longer.

tl;dr - Yes, I completely 100% disagree with your analysis of modern D3. The drops rates are far too high given all the tools that players have at their disposal. The only "chase" players have are with Ancient items, which only serve to devalue 99% of Legendaries and leave one with the feeling of "oh look, another Legendary to add to the pile of 10 I got in this rift already (which I cleared in 3 minutes)."
It's all about the ancient items..... not just legendaries.
05/03/2016 08:41 AMPosted by Zideeffectzz

make all legies/sets ancients and reduce the droprate by 90%.... items more rare but when you find one it's good.

This cycle through the entire lootpool within a couple hours madness has to end...
05/03/2016 08:53 AMPosted by Alukat

make all legies/sets ancients and reduce the droprate by 90%.... items more rare but when you find one it's good.

This cycle through the entire lootpool within a couple hours madness has to end...

Personally, rather then making *all* items automatically ancient, I would change the ratio to about 1/4 or 1/3, and lower the overall drop rate accordingly. That way a more casual player can still reasonably expect to see gear at a decent rate, and the more hardcore player has less junk to sift through.

/shrug It is not actually a solvable problem, however, because everything in Diablo is available to every single player, with the only thing 'hardcore' players get to do that casuals don't is play at a much higher level of difficulty. There is not one single droppable item in the game that a casual player cannot get (given enough time and/or luck) that the hardest of the hardcore player will see. In fact, given a large enough player base, it is almost certain that some lucky casual player has gotten a near perfect item to drop (for example an ancient set chest piece with all the right stats, and all of those stats at or within 2% of max) and has no idea how long others hunt and spend silly amounts of blood shards or crafting mats to acquire the same item. Heck, it's virtually certain that some lucky casual got something like that from a Haedrig's gift. For me, that item is the sword of ill will. I never got an ancient one last season that had even decent stats *and* the 1.4 bonus to say nothing of getting one with great stats and that bonus. But I'd put money on the fact that someone, somewhere, had one like that drop, looked at it, and said, hey, that's kinda neat, then converted it into a forgotten soul.

Please note, I am only talking about droppables. There are probably some rewards from the season journey that a true casual player has no hope of getting within the time limit of a season.

Oh, and as an FYI, 5 hours a day 5+ times a week is *not* casual. It might seem like that is pretty casual to some of you, but 25+ hours a week is the next best thing to a job, or at least a second job.
05/03/2016 03:09 AMPosted by Alukat
- Job
- Kids
- Wife
- Coaching
- A house
- Swimming pool
- Hobbies

And you want D3 be designed around you, so that you can get everything as well here....
This way you're destroying the hobby of those who don't go to play softball, golf, tennis, hockey, coaching but rather play D3 instead.....

What would you say if people would limit softball, golf, tennis, hockey and coaching to you? after a very short time this stuff simply gets denied for you (by taking away the ball i.e.), you wouldn't be pleased either, right?

Foot in mouth.

You're basically berating someone for wanting D3 to not be such a huge timesink to "cater to them" while at the same time asking for the game to be catered to you.

Secondly, you're not denied time to play Diablo 3 by having the grind not be so tedious. You can still play the game however long you want.

05/03/2016 08:53 AMPosted by Alukat

Again, exactly what we had at RoS launch except now with inflated stats.

The whole Ancient Items addition was to give something to the most hardcore players to seek while allowing more casual players to play around with lesser versions of high end items. This allowed people to experience builds quicker even though they may not be the most powerful.

Making all items ancient but reducing their droprates back to nothing basically just negates the point of adding Ancient items in the first place...