So I found a Wailing Host this morning, at last!!

General Discussion
And I spent 20 minutes going through all my ancients I've accumulated and am now equipped with 12 ancients. I have no set bonus except Litany of the Undaunted and Wailing Host, my base dmg is 900k so I should do 10,800,000 dmg, right?? Where would it say that?? Why don't I do that much extra dmg??
its doesnot show on your details but it works
The bonus damage addition is not listed anywhere on your character sheet; it will only make itself known in combat.

Keep track of your orange damage numbers (assuming you have them turned on), and look for you highest damage dealt. It will be a stupid looking number like 16,427M or maybe 232,755M.

But generally, the LoN buildout is more gimmick than anything else, and there are few builds that are actually playable.
I thought LoN had a lot of top 10 finishes last season?
05/14/2016 11:41 AMPosted by aluminatae
And I spent 20 minutes going through all my ancients I've accumulated and am now equipped with 12 ancients. I have no set bonus except Litany of the Undaunted and Wailing Host, my base dmg is 900k so I should do 10,800,000 dmg, right?? Where would it say that?? Why don't I do that much extra dmg??

That's not gonna work for you, there's no synergy between your items.

To build LoN you need skill complementary items, items that boosts your skill, you main skill that you want to use.

For WD you'll want something like the Dagger of Darts setup with Carneval. Or you want the items for Plague of Bats. You can do some other skill boosts but they aren't going to be as effective. But you need all the items that boosts the skills you want to use.

And it's a common misunderstanding that you need only ancient items, you don't! You need those items that complement your choice of skills first, and then whatever ancient ones you can collect to boost overall damage. Get around 7 ancient items and the complementary items and the rings and you are good to go. The other thing there won't work.
05/14/2016 12:30 PMPosted by DOA

yes, last season, but since they buffed a lot of 6p set bonuses to all be higher than the max of 1300% you get from LoN, the set has become trashtier for most builds, sad, only 1 season in the sun and it wasn´t even for all classes.
05/14/2016 04:10 PMPosted by Tubs
05/14/2016 12:30 PMPosted by DOA

yes, last season, but since they buffed a lot of 6p set bonuses to all be higher than the max of 1300% you get from LoN, the set has become trashtier for most builds, sad, only 1 season in the sun and it wasn´t even for all classes.

LoN was meant to give people a chance for fun builds instead of requiring the cookie cutter top set/build for each class, so that you can be unique and still do lots of damage. It being top-tier for wd/dh/crusader last season was accidental last season since it was brand new.

This season they fixed that by making the other sets stronger. The DH top is still LoN, but that's it. However they didn't nerf LoN in any way, so you can still get to last seasons levels with the set.
Crusader lon bomb is still strongest, and multiplicative gems and skills buffed lon a bit
LoN is not reflected in your sheet damage. The reason why your real-world performance is bad is because your gear/build is bad. You only have 5 active skills chosen, there is minimal synergy between your items and skill choices, and inexplicably you have RoRG in the cube.

When playing Firebird Archon I can achieve a multiplier of over 1000x during stack overlap. So your 12x multiplier isn't actually anything special, certainly not enough to make you powerful in the absence of a solid build/gear setup.

Having said that, LoN builds on WD can perform to a pretty high level, but you need a coherent set of skills and items.
05/14/2016 07:48 PMPosted by Badesumofu
and inexplicably you have RoRG in the cube.
That's because, prior to finding a Wailing Host yesterday morning, I used sets. I took everything off my character, including 5 items of the Zunimassa set (having RoRG in the cube "tricked" D3 into thinking my char had a full Zuni set), and 2 parts of the Jade Harvester set and put 12 ancients on. I was led to believe that I'd do 1200% more damage with 12 ancients equipped, and I tried my best to shuffle between my 47 ancient items to not trigger a set bonus and still do somewhat decent damage. Before I found Wailing Host, I did quite fine with Haunt (Wailing Host replaced Ring of Emptiness and an ancient Litany replaced a non-ancient Zuni pox ring) as my main skill. My army of 23 fetishes and 4 burning zombie dogs and 1 gargantuan and a merc kills everything for me. Wormwood in the cube and Haunt as my main skill activates Ring of Emptiness. That's why Wormwood is in the cube. I don't have anything else in the cube. I don't need anything else in the cube.
And you do 1200% more damage now, compared to if all the items were non-ancient. But that still doesn't mean it would work or there's any real kick in it.

Builds are about synergy, you need to create synergy, your set usually does this for your items, and most knows which items complements. With LoN it's different, but you still need those complementary items of you are going anywhere with it. 14x multiplier on its own is not much, it's barely anything.
05/15/2016 06:57 AMPosted by KiWeN
And you do 1200% more damage now, compared to if all the items were non-ancient. But that still doesn't mean it would work or there's any real kick in it.

Builds are about synergy, you need to create synergy, your set usually does this for your items, and most knows which items complements. With LoN it's different, but you still need those complementary items of you are going anywhere with it. 14x multiplier on its own is not much, it's barely anything.

Yeah it isn't worth it. So I'm trying to change back. Don't know exactly which items/skill combination got me over 2.2 mill dmg but one combination did. I'm at 1.8 mill currently.
I'm not into WD builds past 2.4, but you can still do a pretty good one with Dagger of Darts because it still packs a good punch compared to the Zuni version.

And then go for one of the revised damage gems, these are fantastic with LoN.

I'm not sure how high Firebats can go, but it's a valid option too, where you can throw in some other good damage appliers aswell.

Sheet damage is irrelevant in the game, you need damage multipliers.
05/14/2016 06:54 PMPosted by Friday
Crusader lon bomb is still strongest, and multiplicative gems and skills buffed lon a bit

05/14/2016 06:54 PMPosted by Friday

isnt it still top for wd and dh as well?
05/15/2016 09:44 AMPosted by IIsorbetII

DH yes, WD no.

The buffs to Helltooth seem to make Helltooth Gargs the top WD build now.
05/15/2016 10:25 AMPosted by TinneOnnMuin
05/15/2016 09:44 AMPosted by IIsorbetII

DH yes, WD no.

The buffs to Helltooth seem to make Helltooth Gargs the top WD build now.

ah yep forgot, true true love wds
05/15/2016 07:38 AMPosted by aluminatae

Yeah it isn't worth it. So I'm trying to change back. Don't know exactly which items/skill combination got me over 2.2 mill dmg but one combination did. I'm at 1.8 mill currently.

Don't focus so much on sheet damage. It doesn't mean that much compared to proper synergy and stacking multipliers.

Another tip - if you don't have anything worthwhile cubing for a given build, that build is probably either not very good or unfinished. Just cubing one item - CoE - would be a 50% DPS increase at a minimum. That's significantly more than taking your sheet DPS from 1.8m to 2.2m. Sheet damage does other wonky things like fully take IAS into account even though IAS affects some builds a heck of a lot more than others.

And also, there are items in this game that can increase the damage of a given skill by 300%. Combine an item like that with a set the buffs that skill and you will start to see some real damage.

LoN can work with specific combinations of ancients, it doesn't really work with just any set of ancients. If you play a Wizard it doesn't work at all, ever because Tal Rasha will shred any LoN build with its 31x multiplier to all damage, all the time.
...?????
I've been smelting WH's all week!!! They're not hard to get...well for me anyways. Not that I even want one lol!