Ancients need to have an Identifier

General Discussion
QOL for Salvaging and Reforging.

Salvaging Legendaries/Sets is done on a regular basis, talking in an endgame perspective, you would only want Ancients and having to look an item if its ancient or not makes me dizzy as i have to look at the item in my inventory - hover the mouse - window pops up - if its a set item it will have a wall of text and then word "ancient (insert set item name) will be on the very top.

So essentially your eyes would be inventory - to top screen x the amount of set items you just ID'd.

QoL would be to have an indication that an item is ancient without hovering so you could just instantly salvage what items dont have the "ancient identifier".

Example.
An icon (legendary = star, set item = *, ancient leg = ! , ancient set = ! ). We only need one icon since the color already differentiates sets from legs.

Or

A darker color that its normal counter part.

Or

Moving graphics like maybe a pulsating light (like how golden cards are in hearthstone)

I know i know... Im lazy so give me my well deserved dislikes.
you are aware that ancients have a golden border, right?
05/23/2016 01:06 PMPosted by hucka

No i am not. I am not in game but would you please take a screen shot of an ancient vs a non ancient (edit: in inventory) so me and the rest who are not aware can see the diff. Thanks. :)
only a fool would cast a dislike your way OP.
and I'm the kind of person who will happily plod around in a game with no buy back window, no commas in your transaction of currency window, no recovery of items on the ground should you disconnect, no "unsalvage" button to speak of, so that should have some meaning here...

I happily recognize your want for a more convenient way to navigate the interface of the destruction or protection of valuable items, in a game that will happily, and stupidly allow players to destroy batches of 20 or 30 at the same time with one button click.

interestingly enough I think it was dungeon defenders that had a "lock" feature on items so that unless you "unlocked" them to be manipulated they would never be accidentally destroyed as you were sorting everything around them over and over and over again...
05/23/2016 01:12 PMPosted by Shurgosa
only a fool would cast a dislike your way OP.
and I'm the kind of person who will happily plod around in a game with no buy back window, no commas in your transaction of currency window, no recovery of items on the ground should you disconnect, no "unsalvage" button to speak of, so that should have some meaning here...

I happily recognize your want for a more convenient way to navigate the interface of the destruction or protection of valuable items, in a game that will happily, and stupidly allow players to destroy batches of 20 or 30 at the same time with one button click.

interestingly enough I think it was dungeon defenders that had a "lock" feature on items so that unless you "unlocked" them to be manipulated they would never be accidentally destroyed as you were sorting everything around them over and over and over again...

Thanks for the support and understanding.

Its not just in salvaging.

I cant even count the times where I find an ancient (for the sake of argument lets use a belt) belt on a hero x - put it in stash for hero y, play for a few hours with hero x and forget about it - then get back on hero y, look at stash (for me it all looks the same) and dont see that ancient belt, so then i proceed to gamble for belts and not get any ancients. So i keep doing this for a few hours until the day is over. Go online the next day (with my eyes refreshed and not tired) look in stash and go "wtf??? I totally forgot about this ancient belt!! Ive spent thousands of shards trying to get ancient when i had this here all this time".

Story of my stash life.

Ok so i looked into it via google.

You still havr to hover on it because the gold border is only in the pop-up window.

At the rate of people salvage things, its almost instantaenous (click, enter) that the pop-up window almost doesnt show up - some people even call this an exploit when they saw gabynator salvage items instantaenously (i wonder how he knows of its ancient or not).
05/23/2016 01:07 PMPosted by pattycake

No i am not. I am not in game but would you please take a screen shot of an ancient vs a non ancient (edit: in inventory) so me and the rest who are not aware can see the diff. Thanks. :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=d3+ancient+vs+legendary&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjv_rGgi_HMAhUGLSYKHaXYA-sQ_AUICCgC&biw=1666&bih=833
05/23/2016 01:58 PMPosted by Trollox

https://www.google.com/search?q=d3+ancient+vs+legendary&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjv_rGgi_HMAhUGLSYKHaXYA-sQ_AUICCgC&biw=1666&bih=833

Thanks. But again - they look the same in inventory.

You should be able to know an ancient vs a non ancient without hovering on it.
For the purpose of quickly identifying an ancient, the border should be on the item icon rather than the description.
05/23/2016 02:10 PMPosted by Trinity
For the purpose of quickly identifying an ancient, the border should be on the item icon rather than the description.

This is exactly my point. Thanks.
I tend to think they made ancients the way they did just so they are still actually legendary items. It makes the drop rate seem higher, but in the end you're only looking for ancients, so the drop rate really isn't any higher than it used to be. If they made a new category, then no one would look at legendary items and it would just be another quick salvage, cause who cares. Then people would complain because all the legendary items were replaced with something better and the new items would be harder to find...

But I digress. I do agree. If only the item's icon had that border around it while you were looking in your inventory or stash, then you could recognize it easier without having to hover over it.
05/23/2016 04:30 PMPosted by Khendo
I tend to think they made ancients the way they did just so they are still actually legendary items. It makes the drop rate seem higher, but in the end you're only looking for ancients, so the drop rate really isn't any higher than it used to be. If they made a new category, then no one would look at legendary items and it would just be another quick salvage, cause who cares. Then people would complain because all the legendary items were replaced with something better and the new items would be harder to find...

But I digress. I do agree. If only the item's icon had that border around it while you were looking in your inventory or stash, then you could recognize it easier without having to hover over it.

Ancient drop rate or any legendary drop rate is irrelevant.

This game isnt loot farming anymore (at least in my opinion). I have accepted this and have been looking at D3 as a Stat farming game. You get an ancient with 2/4 desireable stat - salvage - you need to have at least 3/4 desireable stats rolled naturally for it to be something youd want to use, thats not even for ancients alone because a non ancient that rolls 3/4 stats is def better than an ancient that rolled 2/4.
Another example of an obvious and simple QoL feature that has been available to users of a certain commonly installed addon forever, but is still not in the base game.
I agree with OP. Ancients are new legendaries now. I would even degrade yellows to blues and regular legendaries to yellow, but that's not gonna happen ;p
Not sure why anyone would dislike this suggestion. I've wondered myself why you have to hover over them to see the brighter frame. It just seems like the obvious thing to do, you know? But hey, so is moving the stupid paragon leveling button off the buffs area or being able to disable UIframes during combat to prevent them from getting in the way. Sometimes I just think these designers just miss the most evident things...

Here's the comparison between the two items of Ancient & Non-Ancient. When you equipped the Ancient & hover the Non-Ancient, the Ancient has still have a gold perimeter. I switch it & wear the Non-Ancient and hover the Ancient & it's still the same that the Ancient has a gold perimeter. Keep in mind that the items on the back of what you hover is the item of what you are wearing or equipped. You can hover it either way in your backpack or in your stash, still the result will be the same that the one you hover will be on top of what you are equipped. In other words, the item that you hover is the item that always placing on top of what you are wearing.

http://oi64.tinypic.com/1zso6o.jpg

http://oi65.tinypic.com/2rpspdh.jpg

Here's additional image that I mark it with red border line:

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2pt8n68.jpg

http://oi66.tinypic.com/23ht2pw.jpg
I'd like to see little Deckard Caine beards on the portrait pic if they're ancient.
I came back last season from several years away, and I didn't realize that ancients looked identical to regular legs, with the only difference being 'Ancient' in the info box.. I'm sure I accidentally scrapped or cubed a few ancients before I figured that out.

So.. a little bit of difference would be nice.
05/24/2016 12:20 PMPosted by Mau
I came back last season from several years away, and I didn't realize that ancients looked identical to regular legs, with the only difference being 'Ancient' in the info box.. I'm sure I accidentally scrapped or cubed a few ancients before I figured that out.

So.. a little bit of difference would be nice.

05/23/2016 02:20 PMPosted by pattycake
05/23/2016 02:10 PMPosted by Trinity

This is exactly my point. Thanks.

When you ID an item before you can even run to the Blacksmith to breakdown most of the time I see the list in my message window at the bottom left. Ancients read something like this.

[{Starmetal}]

I am not at home to check, but they have brackets or something around them in the list after ID. That's how I know if I am going to break them down right away or not. On occasion that list doesn't come up before I get the the blacksmith but most of the time.