Public Bounties are a mess

General Discussion
Ehhh... never mind. I re-read the post I was quoting and I now retract my statement. Sorry about the unintentional bump of this annoying thread.
Public bounties generally aren't that bad. Sure they don't run smoothly 100% of the time but I have yet to see a game where a random match making system does a perfect job.

I think people really should work at finding clans/people to play together with and if you don't have the tolerance then this is the way you should go.

I do wish they would make it easier to identify which is the bonus act though, you should be able to see it when you go to turn in the quest, i.e. you shouldn't have to be looking at the map constantly to tell.
05/31/2016 08:04 PMPosted by Mupasthech
Paragon filter is a great idea.

I think that is a bad idea since too easy to get a lot of paragons just by being carried. If anything, it shouldn't let you join a group at a higher level than you have done a Grfit solo.
funny...this gets attention, but when I suggest a lobby system I just get hate cause NUHU NUUHR !@#$ DIABLO 2 NERDS, DONT LIKE D3...

As I said in my well-formated thread I made, lobby system like Diablo 2 is needet. Name your own games groups, filters restrictions passwords etc
06/01/2016 06:33 AMPosted by Djuntas
funny...this gets attention, but when I suggest a lobby system I just get hate cause NUHU NUUHR !@#$ DIABLO 2 NERDS, DONT LIKE D3...

As I said in my well-formated thread I made, lobby system like Diablo 2 is needet. Name your own games groups, filters restrictions passwords etc

games groups... So say "Bounties" "Rifts" "Greater Rifts"? Honestly all the random titles people chose in Diablo 2 doesn't help anything.

filters.... like OP is suggesting with paragon filters? Or is there something else there that I'm missing?

passwords... like inviting people from your clan or community without actually having to whisper to them what the password is to get in? I'll admit the pop up in the lower right is annoying when someone you don't want to play with keeps inviting you but you can just go into busy mode and stop that.
Split farming is faster which is why you do pubs but I still can't believe that clearing all Acts is still the meta in pubs because it makes no sense. The only reason to clear all Acts is because you need an equal number of mats. However, by the time you reach TX efficient farming, most people have everything they really need from the cube and they're just collecting because their stockpile is running low. So this means that efficiently acquiring mats is more important than having an equal number of mats.

The most efficient way to farm mats in a public game is to do the starting bonus act and leave. Rinse and repeat. Here's why:

1. No one can accidentally turn in a non-bonus cache.
2. You don't have to carry inefficient players for more than one act. Even if I've cleared 4/5, it's a win if I don't carry the group through 5 acts.
3. No inefficiencies waiting for people to do inventory management between acts.
4. No inefficiencies trying to get people to do the bonus act.
5. No context switching between acts. If you do the same act over and over, you get really fast at clearing that act.

It takes 1-4 minutes for me to finish just the starting bonus act. To clear the same act 5 times times takes about 8-10 minutes. It's very rare in a pub game to find a cohesive group that can clear all 5 Acts in 10 minutes because after the starting act, everyone is off doing different things and not doing it very well.
I haven't really had this problem when pub farming T-10 bounties.
Once we had a guy that wasn't doing anything, and was just sitting there trying to collect.
We kicked him and all was well.

I would very much prefer to run solo, but unfortunately, this game kinda forces you into group play.
With the insane amount of mats needed for ancient re-rolls and cubing items, you kinda have no choice but to pub farm.

As it sits right now, I'm having problems getting up to GR-75 (stuck on 73) and I'm fearing that I'll be forced to pub farm grifts to lvl up gems.
Really not looking forward to this....
06/01/2016 09:36 AMPosted by ockhamdesign
Split farming is faster which is why you do pubs but I still can't believe that clearing all Acts is still the meta in pubs because it makes no sense. The only reason to clear all Acts is because you need an equal number of mats. However, by the time you reach TX efficient farming, most people have everything they really need from the cube and they're just collecting because their stockpile is running low. So this means that efficiently acquiring mats is more important than having an equal number of mats.

The most efficient way to farm mats in a public game is to do the starting bonus act and leave. Rinse and repeat. Here's why:

1. No one can accidentally turn in a non-bonus cache.
2. You don't have to carry inefficient players for more than one act. Even if I've cleared 4/5, it's a win if I don't carry the group through 5 acts.
3. No inefficiencies waiting for people to do inventory management between acts.
4. No inefficiencies trying to get people to do the bonus act.
5. No context switching between acts. If you do the same act over and over, you get really fast at clearing that act.

It takes 1-4 minutes for me to finish just the starting bonus act. To clear the same act 5 times times takes about 8-10 minutes. It's very rare in a pub game to find a cohesive group that can clear all 5 Acts in 10 minutes because after the starting act, everyone is off doing different things and not doing it very well.

I wouldn't be so sure if this is really more efficient. First I wouldn't include inventory management in your list of advantages, since there are ways to minimize it, that would apply to both strategies. Furthermore, doing it this way you will experience 4 times more loading time (leaving game, recreating game). Depending on your machine and connection one loading cycle can take between 30 sec and 1 min - take that times 4 and all your timesaving might already be gone.
I have been playing this game since launch in 2012. I have also been participating in these discussion boards for all that time.

I can see the cycle of new players picking up the game; asking the same questions, giving the same suggestions, making the same complaints, over and over again...an endless cycle.

The bounty reward system is not optimal at the moment, but it works.

I play solo. I do the bounties where I need the mats. Sometimes that's the Bonus Bounty, sometimes not. Do I feel the sting of not earning twice the mats? You bet, but then, I often do not want to devote 30-45 minutes to clearing all the acts in bonus order.

If you are doing split bounties, then just shut up and take them as they come, you are still earning your mats at 5 times the rate I do, and that ain't bad. Complaining about it just makes you sound spoiled.
06/01/2016 03:56 AMPosted by Greedo
Ehhh... never mind. I re-read the post I was quoting and I now retract my statement. Sorry about the unintentional bump of this annoying thread.

So arrogant fool .....

And i agree with OP. Since im not regular player, i cant join in in good clan, because later i will be kicked. So i must to do sometimes public bounty. And its very stupid system ..... Why even exist non "bonus" acts if no one does it ?
06/01/2016 11:11 AMPosted by KampfSaU
I wouldn't be so sure if this is really more efficient. First I wouldn't include inventory management in your list of advantages, since there are ways to minimize it, that would apply to both strategies. Furthermore, doing it this way you will experience 4 times more loading time (leaving game, recreating game). Depending on your machine and connection one loading cycle can take between 30 sec and 1 min - take that times 4 and all your timesaving might already be gone.

Not my inventory management, but inventory management of other players. There's always some guy sitting in town figuring out inventory as I'm clearing another 2 bounties.

Time cost of reloading games, about 20-30 seconds, is offset by the 5 minutes wasted by that one player who invariably wastes their time killing goblins and doing goblins rifts.

The other thing is clearing all 5 Acts, you're always at the whim of 3 other players. After the starting act, there are times with all 4 players are doing completely different acts and not focusing on the bonus act. So you end up getting all the caches at the end or you get nothing if you get kicked before then. I just don't see any upside to to clearing all 5 Acts in publics and too much downside.
05/30/2016 05:27 PMPosted by Kukiri
Because you can't fix stupid.

Of course you can.

You can also fix egomaniac and greedy
by making loot personal.

You can fix lazy
by making whole sets a gift and giving 10+ legendaries in a 3-minute-dungeon.

You can fix dumb
by making a game devoid of individual character progression, “so no one can misskill”.

Well, it’s not really a fix ... you just accommodate character flaws and bad habits.

There is a multitude of things that can be done. The most probable I think is giving you all the materials of all acts for 6 bounties because “people shouldn’t get punished for playing alone".

And then we meet again and discuss why back then we had communities and how awesome they were. Sorry, we’re already doing that.

I think it would be fun to go the opposite way. There shouldn’t be anything you can do alone. To open your chest, you need help. To pick up the loot and haul it back, you need 3 people. That way games could be the first opportunity for some people to get confronted with and train social skills. Of course you reap idiots when games cater every whim.

The title should be “the public is a mess”.

I’m afraid paragon-level are a bad indicator. If it’s about efficiency, every bounty should be given a time-limit and you can chose if you want to join a (average) 10-minutes-per-bounty group or a 2-m-p-b-g. If you underperform you get thrown out automatically. That way one would also be safe from the high-paragon-antisocials, that stand around.

I personally wouldn’t do it that way, it’s like playing with a stopwatch. Wait a moment, it is playing with a stopwatch. Like grifts.
06/01/2016 01:35 PMPosted by ockhamdesign
06/01/2016 11:11 AMPosted by KampfSaU

Not my inventory management, but inventory management of other players. There's always some guy sitting in town figuring out inventory as I'm clearing another 2 bounties.

Time cost of reloading games, about 20-30 seconds, is offset by the 5 minutes wasted by that one player who invariably wastes their time killing goblins and doing goblins rifts.

The other thing is clearing all 5 Acts, you're always at the whim of 3 other players. After the starting act, there are times with all 4 players are doing completely different acts and not focusing on the bonus act. So you end up getting all the caches at the end or you get nothing if you get kicked before then. I just don't see any upside to to clearing all 5 Acts in publics and too much downside.

Hm, I mean everything that can go wrong, when clearing all 5 acts can also go wrong, when doing only 1 act per game (except for turning in non-bonus caches of course). I would say that, on average, the ratio between the time wasted, due to imperfect execution by the players and the optimal clearing time should be roughly the same in both scenarios. But then the only difference between the two is the amount of loading time, which would favor doing all 5 acts, in my opinion. One would probably have to perform a rigorous experiment in order to determine an answer to this problem. But I suspect that there is at least not a significant difference between the two.

Another issue with your method would be, that you have to somehow schedule your farming sessions around the bonus bounty hours. If you want to reforge, then you need the same amount of all mats. If you farm 5h per day then you will probably manage to get all the mats in equal amounts. If you don't have that much time on your hand then you will have to spread your farming session over 2 or more days in order to get an equal amount of all mats.

And last but not least: If your method were significantly faster than the current meta, then it would be highly probable that someone else or another group came to the same conclusion. They would probably have circulated their knowledge within the community and I would have heard about it. I mean I heard about it now, but it's the first time and I am not really convinced.

I would kindly agree to disagree on this issue ;)
05/30/2016 05:17 PMPosted by KampfSaU
Public bounties are generally a horrible experience for me. Even with the fix for Act 3 and 4 caches people still manage to turn in non-bonus caches. Whenever that doesn't happen you have some P300 guy not understanding the concept of splitfarming or not being able to solo anything in T10. Sometimes you have all three of those in one game and you just sit there and want to kill yourself for even trying to get a group via matchmaking. Public bounties are usually just a huge waste of time.

I really hope Blizz does something about this. For example:

1. Get rid of the bonus bounty mechanic (just give one cache per act and let it drop the same loot as two chaches do now, regardless of the order in which they are turned in).
I understand that this is meant to incentivise clearing all acts in one game. But the bounty mats are all pretty useful, so I think that should be incentive enough.

2. Give us a minimum paragon filter for public games.
Before joining or opening up your game for public, let us decide what the minimum paragon level for the other players should be. Of course one shouldn't be able to enter a value that is higher than one's own paragon. This isn't a guaranteed fix for the splitfarming issue but it should improve the situation alot, since from my experience the paragon level usually correlates with the general grasp of speedfarming concepts.

What do you guys think? Thanks for reading.

+1 To your 1st idea
2nd idea i disagree because it will only stopping player progression and split up communities even more, anyway cause we are all low paragon once and i like help other to progress.

After all it is a public game
05/30/2016 05:27 PMPosted by Kukiri
What do you guys think?
I think you shouldn't blame Blizzard because you keep hooking up with stupid people to run bounties.

Whatever Blizzard does to 'fix' public bounties just ain't going to work. Because you can't fix stupid.

no wonder why you're broken LOL

Yesterday I had to vote kick an idiot with paragon 1000 for turning in wrong act. I don't care if it was an mistake or not, but he got kicked anyways.

Maybe a fix would be that if there are a bonus quest and a non-bonus to be turned in in any of the acts, the bonus one would always be turned in first regardless whether you speak to the "right" Tyrael.
06/02/2016 05:10 AMPosted by jagetzu

Maybe a fix would be that if there are a bonus quest and a non-bonus to be turned in in any of the acts, the bonus one would always be turned in first regardless whether you speak to the "right" Tyrael.

A good fix would be system similar to boss fights. When anyone tries to deliver a bounty there would be a promt to the other 3 players. Accept or Decline. Everybody would have to accept for it to pass.
You guys posted several pretty good suggestions. I would probably be fine with all of those. As long as there is no possibility for one player (whether intentional or not) to deprive the others of their bonus caches, then all is good. Of course some of them require more development time or are less convenient than others, but that is Blizzard's job to decide.
What remains is the question of how to improve match-making in such a way, that like-minded players can somehow be paired up with one another. Paragon filtering is just one way, that is of course also not perfect. But I would imagine that it would improve the situation in a lot of cases. You will still get that one P1000 guy acting like an a*hole, sometimes. But I personally have seen much more lower paragon players, that I wouldn't want to farm with, than high paragon players.
If I had the paragon filter in the current season, then I would probably set it to 700.
Worst thing about public games is the fact that you can't leave game without leaving the party.
Public bounties are generally a horrible experience for me. Even with the fix for Act 3 and 4 caches people still manage to turn in non-bonus caches. Whenever that doesn't happen you have some P300 guy not understanding the concept of splitfarming or not being able to solo anything in T10. Sometimes you have all three of those in one game and you just sit there and want to kill yourself for even trying to get a group via matchmaking. Public bounties are usually just a huge waste of time.

I really hope Blizz does something about this. For example:

1. Get rid of the bonus bounty mechanic (just give one cache per act and let it drop the same loot as two chaches do now, regardless of the order in which they are turned in).
I understand that this is meant to incentivise clearing all acts in one game. But the bounty mats are all pretty useful, so I think that should be incentive enough.

2. Give us a minimum paragon filter for public games.
Before joining or opening up your game for public, let us decide what the minimum paragon level for the other players should be. Of course one shouldn't be able to enter a value that is higher than one's own paragon. This isn't a guaranteed fix for the splitfarming issue but it should improve the situation alot, since from my experience the paragon level usually correlates with the general grasp of speedfarming concepts.

What do you guys think? Thanks for reading.

here is a solution for you and blizzard don't even need to get involved!

quit doing out of bonus acts 1st. zerg the bonus act turn in and move to the next bonus act that way the noobs cant turn in any wrong ones. you guys complaining are half the problem because you are zerging your "fav" zones even if that may be the non bonus act and the noobs are completing.

there done that easy