Season Journey -> Weekly event

General Discussion
Hey Blizzard staff and fellow readers.

Lately me and some friends went to talk about what makes Diablo 3 re-playable and the reasons why we enjoy the game so much. We talked about seasons, development from vanilla until now and what we may wish for in the future. During this talk, we discovered that the most exciting wish, was to have something like season journey as a weekly event with goodies and cool rewards. After season has been out for a while and we have accumulated good gear, season journey is completed and all thats left is pushing for GR. This task can be somewhat repetitive and tedious. My friends and I, were longing for something to do, something different. We see cosmetics and cool stuff being added to the game, but just to make an example, the wings you farm for on rainbow gobbos, seems like such an demotivating task.

How about rewarding players with cosmetic items trough weekly events? Wings, portraits, transmogs and pennants, maybe some xp potions? We already have xp pools in the world, but i would really like to get some potions for this. Maybe part of the goodies, could be something entirely new, like a way to add some kind of utility to your char?

Anyways, point being, to avoid the inevitable tedious repetitive scenario a couple of weeks into the season, weekly events would in my opinion add some more objectives to the game, rather than the xp grind and GR push. I know that i feel somewhat sad, after completing season journey, as it feels i completed the season all together.
We can't have events. Some people would miss the events, and that would make them sad.

At least, this is the reasoning we were given a while back.
06/01/2016 12:45 PMPosted by ImmortalKing
We can't have events. Some people would miss the events, and that would make them sad.

Correct. I am confused why they think it works in WoW, though, but not in D3.
06/01/2016 12:50 PMPosted by lexilya
Correct. I am confused why they think it works in WoW, though, but not in D3.

We're a lot more sensitive over here in the demon slaying "R" rated Diablo 3 world. I would cry for weeks on end if I missed a double cache bounty weekend. :*(
Some people would miss the events, and that would make them sad.

Blizzard actually said that? Mind = Blown :(
Took me less than a week to finish season journey and my friend just a week and we went back to WoW lol. Only 4 weeks of Diablo 3 is gonna be played per year.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/20420494255

01/26/2016 06:31 PMPosted by Wyatt Cheng
Hey guys – just wanted to pop in and say that we don’t have any community buffs planned for this season.

The main reason is the one highlighted by other members of the community - while 2x buffs are super exciting while they’re active, they have negative effects at other times. The biggest is how demoralizing it can feel if you miss out on the community buff. One of the strengths of Diablo is when players feel they can play on their own schedule, when they feel like it. The 2x buffs really detract from a sense that any time is a perfectly good time to play. It can also cause people to burn themselves out trying to get the most out of the buff.

Just to appease my own curiosity, do you have a link for this? I would like to see their perspective on this issue.

- ImmortalKing thank you!
06/01/2016 01:30 PMPosted by ImmortalKing

Hey guys – just wanted to pop in and say that we don’t have any community buffs planned for this season.

The main reason is the one highlighted by other members of the community - while 2x buffs are super exciting while they’re active, they have negative effects at other times. The biggest is how demoralizing it can feel if you miss out on the community buff. One of the strengths of Diablo is when players feel they can play on their own schedule, when they feel like it. The 2x buffs really detract from a sense that any time is a perfectly good time to play. It can also cause people to burn themselves out trying to get the most out of the buff.

Oh wow..
Thank you soo much for linking me to this ImmortalKing. That sums it up huh. Im trying to understand the context of that reply tho. Community buff, correct me if i am wrong, but wasn't that an irregular thing? I can kinda understand a players frustration if the events are not regular. I just noticed in StarCraft, Co-op has received a weekly objective, and i understand it to be a regular thing every week, and not like the Community buff previously known in D3. So my thought and interpretation of Wyatt's reply, goes towards an event that is irregular and not regular as i suggested in OP.
I wouldn't care if we just got a Feat of Strength and a banner change. Maybe a new dye. It could cost a lot of gold to use but something different. By banner I mean that thing in the center of town not those stupid things the hang on your back.
Weekend buff events could be a regular occurrence as well. Blizzard chooses not to implement them. Just like they choose to not give us forum avatars. Diablo 3 is clearly the Black Sheep of the family.
06/01/2016 01:30 PMPosted by ImmortalKing

Guess that post of w.cheng will be quoted forever; with all the right of course. Though its half a year back already i still cant believe that someone of the dev team posted that wall of nonsense to their own community.
I'm down for no wizard Wednesday.
06/01/2016 01:40 PMPosted by Kimmen

I just noticed in StarCraft, Co-op has received a weekly objective, and i understand it to be a regular thing every week, and not like the Community buff previously known in D3. So my thought and interpretation of Wyatt's reply, goes towards an event that is irregular and not regular as i suggested in OP.

Literally every other current Blizzard title has special community events. Wow, Hearthstone, Overwatch, Star Craft, and Heros of the Storm all have special events at irregular intervals or weekly community events. Diablo 3 is the lone exception. Wyatt's "explanantion" as to why we are all really lucky to have the only dev team that puts 0% work into building community interest is really just an excuse to cover for the following: They are running the game with a bare-minimum skeleton crew and don't have the resources to create and administer special events, and they want you to lose interest in playing Diablo 3 at some point in the season and go off to play another Blizzard game they actually make money on. Keeping everyone happily playing here via weekly special events is really the opposite of their design goal.
*Blizzard plays the original GW and its 3 expansions, then understands that Arena.net had it figured out so many years ago*

Diablo 3 could have used some of those ideas in it's construction. For those that have played GW you know exactly what I mean. To those that do not I'll say there are events running 24/7, then seasonal events like Christmas and Halloween, as well as monthly guild battles world wide for status and power, tournaments with great prizes.

Sry for that - but ya, blizzards Diablo 3 is a little behind I think.
Patchnotes 2.5.0:

We've implemented a new system regarding the players progression.
You'll now generate XP while being logged of equal to 1 Grift lvl 45 every hour. We do not want to leave anyone behind in the XP grinding, just because they have other things to do in life but to play Diablo 3. If you cannot log on for a day or two you might get incredibly sad, because everyone else might have the opportunity to play while you have other stuff to do. In addition to that 1 ancient Set Item will be rewarded for everyone who doesn't log on for 5 days straight. There will be 1 item for every character you have. Check your mailbox to make sure to grab everything!

Cheerz

Dem Devs
06/01/2016 10:39 AMPosted by Kimmen
Hey Blizzard staff and fellow readers.

Lately me and some friends went to talk about what makes Diablo 3 re-playable and the reasons why we enjoy the game so much. We talked about seasons, development from vanilla until now and what we may wish for in the future. During this talk, we discovered that the most exciting wish, was to have something like season journey as a weekly event with goodies and cool rewards. After season has been out for a while and we have accumulated good gear, season journey is completed and all thats left is pushing for GR. This task can be somewhat repetitive and tedious. My friends and I, were longing for something to do, something different. We see cosmetics and cool stuff being added to the game, but just to make an example, the wings you farm for on rainbow gobbos, seems like such an demotivating task.

How about rewarding players with cosmetic items trough weekly events? Wings, portraits, transmogs and pennants, maybe some xp potions? We already have xp pools in the world, but i would really like to get some potions for this. Maybe part of the goodies, could be something entirely new, like a way to add some kind of utility to your char?

Anyways, point being, to avoid the inevitable tedious repetitive scenario a couple of weeks into the season, weekly events would in my opinion add some more objectives to the game, rather than the xp grind and GR push. I know that i feel somewhat sad, after completing season journey, as it feels i completed the season all together.

For a game you pay for once with no ongoing monthly fees, you expect a lot. All this would do it cost them money and it really isn't needed.
06/02/2016 02:08 AMPosted by shasta
For a game you pay for once with no ongoing monthly fees, you expect a lot. All this would do it cost them money and it really isn't needed.

Not really, Considering the patches they have released and its content, i cant see how this is supposed to be such an incredible workload to implement.

And here it comes, i would pay for it !

Just like i paid 5EUR for Abathur in sc2 co-op. So the argument "theres no money" is just not true.