What is the point of hardcore mode?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
I don't understand what the point of this mode is besides showing the world that you have balls and then crying when you lose them because you died to lag or something. What is the point of this mode and why include it in a game where you need to always be online?
It's to add excitement by making death meaningful. The game plays differently when you don't want to die. There's an entirely new element of risk versus reward to consider, where in Softcore your only consideration is reward over time and how to increase efficiency.

So imagine you're doing a rift and there's a bunch of molten explosions. In Hardcore your spine tenses up a little and you make sure to dodge them. In Softcore you don't even notice them because the show you're watching on the other screen has something exciting happening in it.
05/31/2016 06:04 PMPosted by Razorphilia
It's to add excitement by making death meaningful

Maybe, but with cheat death passives, moratorium, firebird(for wizards), you only really die due to DC or Lag... The couple of times I tried to play HC, I was never even close to die and I am really a casual and medium to lame player... till DC happened
05/31/2016 06:16 PMPosted by Petrus
The couple of times I tried to play HC, I was never even close to die

Not dying below 70 isn´t hard
05/31/2016 06:16 PMPosted by Petrus
you only really die due to DC or Lag

My buddy uses disconnects as his excuse for not playing Hardcore as well, when he and I both know he just doesn't like the idea of losing progress. He dies all the time in Softcore.
I have played "softcore" for 4 years. I have leveled up hundreds of new Demon Hunters over thousands of hours just for fun.

I recently played my first ever hardcore Demon Hunter, leveling up solo for the experience of it, and I can tell you that the monsters in hardcore do less damage to the character, and Toughness and other damage mitigation are more effective than in softcore.

I was surprised at how resilient my character was under conditions that would have seen a softcore character die.

That character is now P50. I was going to delete it and use it as a S6 mule, but after that investment, I could not do it. So I cleared out another character to use as a mule...lol.

I find that gearing a hardcore character differs from softcore, and Life, Toughness, and Recovery are not dismissible in favor of raw DPS. In softcore, I cuss if I die. In hardcore, if my health pool dips in the slightest below 100%, I panic!

There is a difference in play styles and gameplay goals, and once you have a decent hardcore character (I don't yet), you gain a measure of respect for a guy who has earned P1382 and cleared a solo GR89, such as the #1 S6 HC DH did.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Desrame-1924/hero/75515862

Notice the Nemesis Bracers. That means every time he hits a Pylon, an Elite pack spawns on his head!

Mad respect for that guy.
05/31/2016 05:58 PMPosted by Mentalfruit
I don't understand
Yeah. You prolly never will.
05/31/2016 07:17 PMPosted by OldPro
I can tell you that the monsters in hardcore do less damage to the character

I think the baseline damage is the same in both modes, though I haven't specifically tested it. Gearing more defensively might have made it seem like Hardcore monsters did less damage. Monsters also do more damage in multiplayer games, so if you're used to leveling in a group that might be why it seemed easier.

Edit:
05/31/2016 07:23 PMPosted by OldPro
That will save your hardcore character.

Oh, I thought the server trapped your character for at least 10 seconds if you DC'd outside of town?

DC's aren't the reason I don't play more HC though, it's because I can't get my friends out of SC, haha.
I don't understand what the point of this mode is besides showing the world that you have balls and then crying when you lose them because you died to lag or something. What is the point of this mode and why include it in a game where you need to always be online?

Because not everyone like vanilla, some people like strawberry. Hope that helps.
A quote I heard from the movie Troy: "They envy us because we’re mortal, because any moment may be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we’re doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now."

Can't bring myself to play SC.. why play a game you essentially can't lose at? Although I do agree a D/C death stings a bit
05/31/2016 07:44 PMPosted by jarmonk
Can't bring myself to play SC.. why play a game you essentially can't lose at?
Agreed, there is no consequence to death in SC, I used to play it exclusively now I play HC. I only built a SC this season so I could complete conquests. I do think that SC has a higher drop rate, SC is soft in monster damage, drops and death. HC is for serious Diablo soldiers :-)
because i don't give a !@#$ about losing my gear/characters. that's why.
I don't understand what the point of this mode is besides showing the world that you have balls

if this would be the reason to play HC for you, you might have very small ones.

Playing HC from 2012 to today, never lost any hero to monster called DC, but i lost some of them by taking not enough care or thinking I would be more than I was atm.
Hardcore is the mode you wanna play, if you have enough of the small girls´ mode, when dying means nothing as consequence.
But to play HC does not mean, you are a better D3 player.
Hardcore is a different game, you discover aspects that you never will in sc. And over time I have also come to realize that the player base in hc is more mature. I would say that GR pushing is more fun in hc because it rely less on luck and more about knowledge and skill. But I am also a dedicated sc player, its a good arena for learning your limits and experiment with different styles/classes. In hc I only play DH because it is the class i know best.
I don't understand what the point of this mode

06/01/2016 03:55 AMPosted by Hai
Hardcore is a different game, you discover aspects that you never will in sc.

I have heard some call hardcore players stuck up or elitists. It's all about the challenge. You have a select group of friends to play with. Too many complain about dying on softcore, or about this RG or another. Many forget the Diablo 2 death penalty whereby you lost 10% experience each time you die. I have both softcore friends and hardcore friends so play both. Voice chat makes it fun. I wouldn't be playing Diablo 3 as much if I didn't have voice chat.

Note: Whether a softcore or hardcore player, suggest run windows updates, update windows drivers, check motherboard web support for bios updates before complaining in forums about game glitches, lag, black screen.
I play hardcore because I find dying every 10 mins silly. I have played SC for a while, but pretty much stick to HC now. Yes, it's frustrating when you die, whether by pushing higher content, or disconnect. But it feels so much more rewarding when you beat the odds and survive...
I think you played HC because you hate dying and you take great satisfaction NOT Dying.
When you are P1350 in HC you bask in your own glory! I didn't die that long man! (not quite true.. but it feels that way...)

I playing softcore for year... Then I recently got hooked to HC. Sometimes I try to play my season WD (softcore), it feels so meaningless..... I run through the rift, oh I die? wait 3 seconds, continue... what's the point really? There is no challenge in winning since it's gonna happen anyway... there is no pleasure in it either now....

As a side note will all those power leveling going on, does it even mater to die or not?

Well around P200 it doesn't....
But before, if you solo, you find your own gear, then you lose it all, it sucks badly...
Later you got tons of spare gear! (because you learnt!) and you start levelling gems.. and then you loose tons of high levels gems and candlesan an uniquely good items, it sucks again...

And that's what make it rewarding! Your beautiful gear, you earned it with your flesh and blood an tears! it is precious!
When you do high GR it's meaningful, a real challenge! You didn't die doing it!
05/31/2016 07:44 PMPosted by jarmonk
A quote I heard from the movie Troy: "They envy us because we’re mortal, because any moment may be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we’re doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now."

Can't bring myself to play SC.. why play a game you essentially can't lose at? Although I do agree a D/C death stings a bit

Well said! :)