Farewell Jay Wilson

General Discussion
1 2 3 10 Next
Jay did not work in some magical vacuum. You are kidding yourself if you think he was holding a gun to everyone's heads in order to get them to take the direction he wanted.
The last thread about this was removed. This will definitely be removed, too.
06/07/2016 04:38 PMPosted by lukipela
Jay did not work in some magical vacuum. You are kidding yourself if you think he was holding a gun to everyone's heads in order to get them to take the direction he wanted.

that is true. i said before, likely in some thread that isnt around anymore, that jay could have thought up as many good ideas has he wanted. if the people under him though couldnt interpret those ideas into meaningful content that made the game worth playing then it really is their fault. jay is only being blame because he was the "face" of D3 much like josh is right now. there is lot more than just josh or jay.
06/07/2016 04:32 PMPosted by b0dyc0unt
Just saw that he has retired from the gaming industry....Shame he couldn't have retired prior to D3 releasing and maybe the game would have went a better direction than what it did.

Hey man what's done is done. Sure there were some choices he made in development of Diablo III that weren't the best, but some of the choices he made were pretty awesome. Honestly, I hope Blizzard gives me a awesome sendoff and hope the best for him.
Edited the misleading title.

Threads that have been removed have been due to the amounts of disrespect that were contained within. Regardless of how you may feel about Jay's work here, we are all very sad to see him leave Blizzard, though it's wonderful to see he's pursuing his passions and we wish him the best in his writing endeavors.

Feel free to leave your thoughts about Jay's work and farewells here, as long as they remain respectful. It's okay to be critical, but it's possible to be critical while remaining respectful. What we won't tolerate is commentary on Jay's character or direct harassment. Jay is a colleague, friend, and human being, and deserves to be treated kindly like any other member of our community.
Jay and his team did an awesome job on Diablo's core gameplay, and that says a lot. Developers can create all sorts of arcane systems and mental mazes for players to wade through, but if the core gameplay is clumsy and boring, what's the point of playing.
06/07/2016 04:32 PMPosted by b0dyc0unt
Shame he couldn't have retired prior to D3 releasing and maybe the game would have went a better direction than what it did.

Obviously we as fans don't really know what was and wasn't Jay's fault, but I've seen him being credited as one of the driving forces behind Diablo 3's combat system, and Diablo 3's combat is glorious.

No matter what other "Click to Move Action RPG" I'm playing, and I play a lot of them, their combat always feels "clunky" after playing Diablo 3 for so long.
^

Agree the combat system is the best in any ARPG today, but their decision to throw out the D2 skill system (not skill trees but skill allocation points to boost a skill damage) and revamp itemisation was a major blunder in my books.
The respect in this thread feels a bit low, let's double it : >
Best of luck Jay!
Yeah, what a shame that he couldn't leave before D3 or WoD. He ruined 2 great games.
Here are some of the things that I think Jay's Diablo did good
+ smooth Combat Gameplay
+ Graphics
+ separating passive from active skills
+ A skill system that allowed massive customization (let's forget about the current set meta for a while that funnels everyone into the same defaults builds)

Some of the things that were extremely awesome, but didn't make it into the game
* PvP Arenas [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZrGE3VLiSk ]
* Massive Build Diversity [ http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104608-BlizzCon-2010-Billions-of-Class-Builds-Await-in-Diablo-III ]
* Attribute System [ http://www.diablowiki.net/images/thumb/f/f9/Interface-char-beta-sml.jpg/250px-Interface-char-beta-sml.jpg ]
* Passive Skills in which you could spend points into [ https://youtu.be/0kOCSNsDack?t=1m55s ]

And some of the bad
- Itemization
- boring legendaries
- game was unfinished at release
- meh story
One of the best 50 bucks I have spent, nuff said.

Good luck!
06/07/2016 06:30 PMPosted by jtcdgroup
^

Agree the combat system is the best in any ARPG today, but their decision to throw out the D2 skill system (not skill trees but skill allocation points to boost a skill damage) and revamp itemisation was a major blunder in my books.

Agreed on both points. However, I don't think the skill tree change was his doing. WoW started with the D2 skill tree model but they found that it was really an illusion of choice - that certain builds were the best and everyone looked those up and used them.

They went to a system that had talent types with the idea that you have an AOE, a stun, a main DPS, a finisher, etc. But within that you could select from a variety of skills that served the same function. You could modify them with Glpyhs. The idea being you could pick the style skills you want while achieving the same functions.

Along came D3 and they went with the same system although I don't know how long D3 was in development and if the idea started with the D3 team or not.

The bottom line is though that removing the D2 style skill trees did NOT increase build diversity. It still results in people looking up the top specs and builds. Only now instead of controlling it with points, we control it with RNG gear drops :/

If the goal was to make it more accessible and increase guild diversity, it did not happen. More importantly, it took away the feeling of really building a character by allocating points as we leveled. Paragon tried to help with that but because it does not impact our core skills it does not provide the same satisfaction.

They seem to realize this and at least in WoW are going back to the concept of "class fantasy" where you really identify with the char (duh RPG) and have the ability to customize skill powers in a tree form - the new weapon system.

We shall see where it goes and if that ever migrates back to D3 or not.

All that said, one Dev did not make all the decisions then, nor do they now. I wish Jay well in his career and even directly sent him a note. He is, if nothing else, passionate about what he does. I don't have to agree with the direction his passions took him in D3, but I can at least respect him.
I was not planning to buy diablo 4 on day 1 if they ever release it in the future. But now, I might give it a second thought.
06/07/2016 06:48 PMPosted by MissCheetah
All that said, one Dev did not make all the decisions then, nor do they now.

Totally agreed. But as the head of the team, it's surprising that he, himself, didn't ban/revise any of the poorly features that the vanilla version of the game had before they even released it.
Can you take Set Dungeons with you Jay on your way out?