Arcane Orb - Spark

Wizard
Hey everyone,
While I did play a little during Season 5, I didn't really get around to experimenting with the Arcane Orb items. I played with Energy Twister builds and got really bored and left for a while. Now I've been messing around with the Arcane Orb items recently.

I have a question: Does the AO Spark explosion do damage? I can't tell if the damage is from the lightning bolts or the explosion. If it doesn't do damage in its explosion, then the Arcane Orb wand is worthless for Spark. I have a feeling it doesn't actually do any damage in its explosion.
06/26/2016 05:37 PMPosted by nslay
have a question: Does the AO Spark explosion do damage? I can't tell if the damage is from the lightning bolts or the explosion. If it doesn't do damage in its explosion, then the Arcane Orb wand is worthless for Spark. I have a feeling it doesn't actually do any damage in its explosion.

Last I checked, I think it zaps for half the tooltip damage and then explodes for the other half.
06/26/2016 05:48 PMPosted by TinneOnnMuin
have a question: Does the AO Spark explosion do damage? I can't tell if the damage is from the lightning bolts or the explosion. If it doesn't do damage in its explosion, then the Arcane Orb wand is worthless for Spark. I have a feeling it doesn't actually do any damage in its explosion.

Last I checked, I think it zaps for half the tooltip damage and then explodes for the other half.

That is correct.

If it doesn't do damage in its explosion, then the Arcane Orb wand is worthless for Spark. I have a feeling it doesn't actually do any damage in its explosion.

Even if it doesn't it would still be up to a 65% damage increase, Arcane Orb damage isn't worthless. So roughly it still doubles the damage of Spark since a double explosion would be 33% at a minimum..not counting Area damage double dip from two explosions. In other words its still better than Starfire + Furnace.

http://ptr.d3planner.com/120447845

Here is a model build I'm doing with DMO and Spark on PTR, you could do it with Tal Rasha too for more damage but I think it would be too squishy..we'll see the next PTR update, but I have a feeling there's going to be a pretty strict force on DMO or Firebird for 4 player the way they want to change the whole support thing. I don't see Tal Rasha's 100% resist all standing a chance in higher group meta.

Btw the build I'm doing erases trash and gives great group utility which I think will be the future of the new meta since other support class spells will be nerfed to the ground.
Awesome, so I'm not the only one to maybe see some potential in Spark.

I've tried 3 builds for Spark. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to modify your builds to show you mine. I'll just write it out instead.

Build 1
Head: Delsere's
Shoulder: Delsere's
Torso: Delsere's
Neck: Traveler's Pledge
Rings: Traveler's Pledge + Halo of Arlyse
Waist: Shame of Delsere's
Legs: Delsere's
Feet: Delsere's
Weapon: Unstable Scepter
Offhand: Triumvirate
Hands: Delsere's
Wrists: Parthan Defenders

Gems: Gogok's, BoT, Stricken

Cube: Furnace, Strongarms, Obsidian Zodiac ring

Skills:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bNcgfS!iTSh!bbbZZb

Build 2
Same as build 1 except for:

Waist: Safron Wrap

Gems: BoT, Stricken, Esoteric Alteration or Simplicity's Strength (mostly for healing)

Cube: Furnace, Shame of Delsere's, Convention of Elements

Skills:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bcQgfS!iTdh!bbaZZb

Build 3
Head: Tals
Neck: Tals
Torso: Tals
Shoulders: Death Watch Mantle
Hands: Tals
Waist: Tals
Rings: Focus + Restraint
Wrists: Parthans
Legs: Tals
Feet: Nilfur's
Weapon: Unstable Scepter
Offhand: Triumvirate

Gems: Stricken, Esoteric Alteration, BoT or something else

Cube: Fulminator, Shame of Delsere's, Halo of Arlyse

Skills:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#acQlfS!diRh!cbcbZb

I haven't tried the new ring yet. Would be nice to get away from Halo of Arlyse. The Black Hole doesn't seem to do much for Spark since it can already zap monsters at a distance. Event Horizon does help erase nasty stuff elites put down though! I really wish something like Illusionist could also help us use Event Horizon ... not outright reset cooldown, but at least remove a few seconds.

The third build should allow Fulminator to shine since Tal's should buff all damage. And Spark zaps a lot of monsters which can trigger Fulminator a lot. Otherwise, Fulminator just doesn't do anything.

EDIT:
Add Torso for Build 3.
http://www.diablofans.com/news/48765-new-ptr-patch-datamined-2-4-2-build-38044

Arcane Orb
Spark : Lob an electrified orb over enemies that zaps them for 349% weapon damage as Lightning and increases the damage of the next Lightning spell you cast by 2% for every enemy hit up to a maximum of 15.

We just can't try for trying here..wow, the wiz hate is strong within this PTR!

I saw like 120B hit at the most with a 22 zap stacks and that's with 160% Area damage and being 50 feet away with lvl 85 Zeis...like seriously, guess that's just way too OP in this new era!!

Well that's with DMO..so okay with Tal Rasha and F&R to max damage it would have been ~200B ..how shocking!
06/27/2016 08:12 PMPosted by MasterJay
up to a maximum of 15.

mindless nerf
Yep. it's nerfed already.
Wait, did they bring it into the PTR already nerfed? I was reading this thread and getting excited that we may be able to have a new test build...
06/28/2016 05:40 AMPosted by Benevolent
Wait, did they bring it into the PTR already nerfed? I was reading this thread and getting excited that we may be able to have a new test build...

No the nerf just hit live yesterday. I got to mess around with it pre nerf and sometimes get 22 to 30 spark stacks (so 60% more damage) with starfire 60% more damage with Zeis 60% more damage and Power Hungry 30% more damage.

Sounds massive but it actually wasn't, saw some 100B+ crits, might have done 200B with the area damage. Not overpowered in the slightest.

06/28/2016 02:59 AMPosted by Shade
mindless nerf
Gonna try this tonight including the new topaz in helm
06/26/2016 08:23 PMPosted by MasterJay
<span class="truncated">...</span>

That is correct.

If it doesn't do damage in its explosion, then the Arcane Orb wand is worthless for Spark. I have a feeling it doesn't actually do any damage in its explosion.

Even if it doesn't it would still be up to a 65% damage increase, Arcane Orb damage isn't worthless. So roughly it still doubles the damage of Spark since a double explosion would be 33% at a minimum..not counting Area damage double dip from two explosions. In other words its still better than Starfire + Furnace.

http://ptr.d3planner.com/120447845

Here is a model build I'm doing with DMO and Spark on PTR, you could do it with Tal Rasha too for more damage but I think it would be too squishy..we'll see the next PTR update, but I have a feeling there's going to be a pretty strict force on DMO or Firebird for 4 player the way they want to change the whole support thing. I don't see Tal Rasha's 100% resist all standing a chance in higher group meta.

Btw the build I'm doing erases trash and gives great group utility which I think will be the future of the new meta since other support class spells will be nerfed to the ground.

I'm doing a ranged build with Arcane Orb: Obliteration + Power Hungry + Zei's + Stricken (for GRs; Powerful for TXIII) + Trapped. It is pretty strong. Furnace cubed for GR, Orpheus for TXIII.

I think with Crown of the Primus cubed I will be able to bring a lot to the group that can't be had elsewhere nearly as easily. DMO may be weak but it may be better than it used to be relative to others because other classes can't bring nearly as much to group anymore. Might even have room in the cube for Oculus instead of CoE since it would buff me more than CoE would and also buff the party.
06/30/2016 08:56 PMPosted by Desar
I'm doing a ranged build with Arcane Orb: Obliteration + Power Hungry + Zei's + Stricken (for GRs; Powerful for TXIII) + Trapped. It is pretty strong. Furnace cubed for GR, Orpheus for TXIII.

I think with Crown of the Primus cubed I will be able to bring a lot to the group that can't be had elsewhere nearly as easily. DMO may be weak but it may be better than it used to be relative to others because other classes can't bring nearly as much to group anymore. Might even have room in the cube for Oculus instead of CoE since it would buff me more than CoE would and also buff the party.

Yep that's the build I currently was doing in NS because I'm tired of the twister meta, seems to run 3 to 4 dps 80's really well actually but Halo of Karini is required because the 50% DR becomes not enough at ranged. I was using Oculus for speed 70s though yah and just hopping right in the ring because even at near range the 1.85x modifier was amazing, I was critting for 300B sometimes in it on elites (although that's probably a lot of Area damage as well). Now with 1.3x from Power hungry I'll be seeing near half a trillion crits, yummy!

I'd stick with Unstable Scepter though instead of GoO, too much damage to give up for Obliterate, literally almost triples it (65% x 2 x 2) vs just 20% Arcane (which after bracer and/or amulet is only about 14% damage increase).

I'm probably just going to stick with AO: Obliterate and go arcane though and give up on Lightning Starfire with AO:Spark, those nerfs just don't make sense and are totally uncalled for. You want new builds and give us new items but then you make them weaker than what we already have? Doesn't make sense.

Obliterate naturally does almost twice the damage of Spark, so why can't Starfire have at least a 2x modifier? Why is it not okay for 20 mobs to be Sparked at once for 40% more damage? At best case scenario with a horde of mobs (which will be rarer with the new CC rules and nerfs) we had Spark doing 539% weapon damage base x 2.3x Starfire modifier at 90 yards (max range before limit nerf) so 1266.5% weapon damage base Orb..in the rarest of circumstances at optimal range. Really not super OP here, unjustified nerf so forget it.
Okay actually I'm putting on my dev hat for this one..I could see why Spark and Starfire were limited in this manner (just disagree on the numbers so hopefully there can be some fine tuning left).

First issue like I've stated before playing at super maximum screen length range is a gameplay / balance issue. It's as bad as needing to find a corner to stick twisters in. Secondly if Spark always outdamaged Obliterate AND has twice the range, there's no reason to ever use anything else than Spark and we'd be forced to go Lightning for ARCANE orb.

So I agree with the range limit on Starfire, the damage number though could be raised to at least 20% though.

Limit on Spark makes sense as well, we'll still be able to horde a lot of mobs together with more CC efforts (yay and Blackhole maybe being useful in the meta) so Spark having no limit makes it so Spark is always the answer to that solution and nothing ever comes close (but maybe twister...maaaybe, 5 limit is kinda..limiting) and again it outranges Obliterate by a factor of 2, which means the area damage is also by a factor of 2. The number can still be 20 though, even with Unstable scepter use to immediately take advantage of the next lightning damager, we're still only talking about 538% base weapon damage here, not exactly out of line. Let's also not forget this build will absolutely blow on the RG and most yellows..most signature spells could outdamage it but we're pretty used to sucking on the single targets tbh, that's just wizard.

Okay, I'll have to break down and try em both out before dismissing the nerfs, it just didn't look real appealing on paper but I've rarely gone by that throughout history so here we go.