RIP Wizard Support

Wizard
We had a good run....oh wait.

http://www.diablofans.com/news/48765-new-ptr-patch-datamined-2-4-2-build-38044
LoL, so true.
It seems like they have a goal of Wizards not having support specs - they should be pure damage - and I'm okay with that, provided we have pure damage.

Maybe EE is finally multiplicative if it's self-only. Wouldn't that be sweet?
It would still be somewhat underwhelming, considering you need at least 3 attacks to get its bonus, whereas Audacity requires 0 attack turns and has 50% greater bonus. There's Primordial Soul, but I still do not feel excited about it.

Anyhow, they're killing the dps support across all classes and limiting the usefulness of monster grouping.
A good thing they nerfed Spark aswell. That thing was so OP! oh wait...

I don't know what their plan is but they are nerfing everything to sh!t.

Twisters with a max of 5, down from 8...
06/28/2016 12:53 AMPosted by Motions

Don't get that one to be honest. I mean, in season there is actually no cap and I can't imagine they have much data of play with the actual 8 cap working and now they bring it down to 5?
06/28/2016 01:13 AMPosted by Sardaukar
06/28/2016 12:53 AMPosted by Motions

Don't get that one to be honest. I mean, in season there is actually no cap and I can't imagine they have much data of play with the actual 8 cap working and now they bring it down to 5?

they put the cap on the previous test build. You are correct, there is no cap on live atm but they did put the cap on the previous test build. So; live= no cap, first ptr build put a cap at 8, latest build lowers cap down to 5.
RIP wizard support ?
what !?
wizard support was never live.
06/27/2016 11:58 PMPosted by Venaliter
It seems like they have a goal of Wizards not having support specs - they should be pure damage - and I'm okay with that, provided we have pure damage.

Maybe EE is finally multiplicative if it's self-only. Wouldn't that be sweet?

Yeah, suppprt doesn't necessarily fit the wizard theme. And yes pls to multiplicative EE!

Zwiz is still exceptional for speed runs with Walker, Ranslor, Black Hole even if they bring crap debuff.

06/28/2016 02:55 AMPosted by Shade
RIP wizard support ?
what !?
wizard support was never live.

He is kidding. But, there have been some decent wiz support specs. Never in the high GR meta.
A little background information: there was a screenshot of someone doing on the order of 1 quadrillion damage before patch 2.4. Must have been a combination of class buffs, monster debuffs, item buffs, skill buffs, gem buffs and a power pylon.

My hypothesis is that Diablo 3 does the sensible thing and implements HP and damage with 64 bit integers. Hopefully these are interpreted as unsigned, but could very well be interpreted signed too. That means the maximum possible damage is either 18 quintillion damage or 9 quintillion damage respectively. The effects of an integer overflow, depending on signedness would either be: you do substantially smaller amounts of damage (unsigned case), you do negative damage (signed case). Depending on how they use these figures could even crash the game or server!

Again, that's just my humble guess...

In patch 2.4.x notes, I noticed that some bonuses that were previously additive with some specific factor now became multiplicative factors of their own. See the patch notes for yourself and search for "multiplicative":
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/patch-notes/2-4-1

Now consider that 1 quadrillion damage is merely 4-5 orders of magnitude difference to 18 quintillion or 9 quintillion and add in all these multiplicative buffs from gems, abilities, classes, debuffs, power pylons, paragon, augmented items, etc... and you might actually be able to cause an integer overflow in damage calculations!

OK, so the developers might be worried that all these buffs are going to cause integer overflows. So how might you stop this? Remove shared class buffs and shared monster debuffs, reduce damage buffs, cap stackable damage buffs, etc...

I'm honestly not surprised! Look, they're nerfing everything, not just Wizard.

If my hypothesis about 64 bit integers is true and damage continues to rise as a consequence of new items, tweaked sets, and players augmenting with higher gems and attaining impossible paragon levels, you're going to start to see damage stagnation and nerfing between patches to prevent integer overflows.

See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integer_overflow
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two%27s_complement
06/28/2016 02:30 PMPosted by nslay
A little background information: there was a screenshot of someone doing on the order of 1 quadrillion damage before patch 2.4. Must have been a combination of class buffs, monster debuffs, item buffs, skill buffs, gem buffs and a power pylon.

My hypothesis is that Diablo 3 does the sensible thing and implements HP and damage with 64 bit integers. Hopefully these are interpreted as unsigned, but could very well be interpreted signed too. That means the maximum possible damage is either 18 quintillion damage or 9 quintillion damage respectively. The effects of an integer overflow, depending on signedness would either be: you do substantially smaller amounts of damage (unsigned case), you do negative damage (signed case). Depending on how they use these figures could even crash the game or server!

Again, that's just my humble guess...

In patch 2.4.x notes, I noticed that some bonuses that were previously additive with some specific factor now became multiplicative factors of their own. See the patch notes for yourself and search for "multiplicative":
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/patch-notes/2-4-1

Now consider that 1 quadrillion damage is merely 4-5 orders of magnitude difference to 18 quintillion or 9 quintillion and add in all these multiplicative buffs from gems, abilities, classes, debuffs, power pylons, paragon, augmented items, etc... and you might actually be able to cause an integer overflow in damage calculations!

OK, so the developers might be worried that all these buffs are going to cause integer overflows. So how might you stop this? Remove shared class buffs and shared monster debuffs, reduce damage buffs, cap stackable damage buffs, etc...

I'm honestly not surprised! Look, they're nerfing everything, not just Wizard.

If my hypothesis about 64 bit integers is true and damage continues to rise as a consequence of new items, tweaked sets, and players augmenting with higher gems and attaining impossible paragon levels, you're going to start to see damage stagnation and nerfing between patches to prevent integer overflows.

See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integer_overflow
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two%27s_complement

I was in no way shape or form, expecting a response like this. My OP was purely a jest.

But I'm upvoting just because you are smarter than me.
? People are already doing 10s of quadrillions of burst dps its extremely common in high end runs