What older custom build should return

Monk
And when I mean return, I mean as a proper competitive set

I know many vanilla monks fondly miss nirvana
I myself really enjoyed TR-IF
Devs havent really hit the mark in making a gen set that felt like our vanilla gen builds still off the top of my head
SW Cyclone, hands down.

Applications in most monk specs WOL, TR, Gens, esp.

Totally useless in all specs since ROS release.
I feel like that could have been the better direction for R6. And then there's the salt i felt about barbs having their tornado set and missing being able to do that on monks before ROS came out.
06/25/2016 03:31 PMPosted by Vox
SW Cyclone, hands down.

That was a terrible spec. All you do is hold down the button and let the cyclones do the work.
06/25/2016 10:49 PMPosted by hong
SW Cyclone, hands down.

That was a terrible spec. All you do is hold down the button and let the cyclones do the work.

If that is your view than pretty much every build is a terrible spec. Hold down the button for generator; hold down the button for WoL; press the button on cd for Uliana...

The only build that hasn't been single button hold/mash or casually press a single button on cd since I started playing D3 is the current Inna EP build which requires precise timing on 4 different abilities.
06/25/2016 04:38 PMPosted by Blackglitch
I feel like that could have been the better direction for R6. And then there's the salt i felt about barbs having their tornado set and missing being able to do that on monks before ROS came out.

My design for Raiment

2 piece: Permanently gain sweeping wind with all runes and cyclones now last 6 seconds

4 piece: Enemies hit by cyclones are afflicted with the static charge debuff and cyclones now act as charged enemies.

6 piece: Gain 50% increased damage and 3% increased attack speed and take 3% less damage for each active cyclone.

Supporting Belt - cyclone strike also pulls in sweeping wind cyclones

This would also be with a change to swk to remove the sweeping wind aspect of it.
SW Cyclone, hands down.

It wasn't one spec. I most enjoyed it in Tempest Rush farming specs.

Neither would it be one-button today with cooldowns and utility gens.

They need to buff Combination Strike BAD. Fitting in the 4th gen is a crazy steep tradeoff, both in terms of active skill lost, and additional focus to weave it in effectively.
06/26/2016 12:27 PMPosted by AlienPrimate
06/25/2016 04:38 PMPosted by Blackglitch

My design for Raiment

2 piece: Permanently gain sweeping wind with all runes and cyclones now last 6 seconds

4 piece: Enemies hit by cyclones are afflicted with the static charge debuff and cyclones now act as charged enemies.

6 piece: Gain 50% increased damage and 3% increased attack speed and take 3% less damage for each active cyclone.

Supporting Belt - cyclone strike also pulls in sweeping wind cyclones

This would also be with a change to swk to remove the sweeping wind aspect of it.

Supporting Sword - damage is increased by 125–150% for each sweeping wind you have out up to a maximum of 8. lol

SW generator monk FTW
06/27/2016 12:58 AMPosted by DaleX
Supporting Sword - damage is increased by 125–150% for each sweeping wind you have out up to a maximum of 8. lol

Oh this would be so ironic
06/26/2016 12:41 PMPosted by Vox

It wasn't one spec. I most enjoyed it in Tempest Rush farming specs.

Neither would it be one-button today with cooldowns and utility gens.

They need to buff Combination Strike BAD. Fitting in the 4th gen is a crazy steep tradeoff, both in terms of active skill lost, and additional focus to weave it in effectively.

Amen to that. Before monk's average monk is around 600k and CS adds 10% for generator that used. Now monk's average dps is around 2M and CS still the same not to mention moster's health incrased a lot from before. If blizzard don't want to rework CS it may be a good idea just take it out from the passtives.
My combo strike idea is to change 10% damage to 10% generator attack speed and enable you to use multiple runes of the same generator. For example, you could use assimilation and fists of fury instead of being restricted to a single rune from each generator.

Another change that would make combo strike more worth while is making spirit guards stack for each generator used. Giving up a skill slot to use a second generator is too much of a loss in toughness to justify doing and this change would make it possible.
06/28/2016 04:06 PMPosted by YDFWM
06/27/2016 12:58 AMPosted by DaleX

Oh this would be so ironic

Now all we need is 2 cyclones forming together to do triple damage and also make them more stationary somehow ..
You means something like Wiz stacking twister in a corner ? Oppsy....

I think the idea of cyclone displacement is good, not sure is it good to use cyclone to 'group' them.
But I like the idea they stick together, not 100% of the time.

Maybe this, could be fun: (item legendary effect)
Using xxx skill will cause cyclone within 20-40 yards to change direction towards user.

*xxx could be cyclone strike

Or making CS change projectile speed/direction (that would be insane amount of coding, but possibly change the way of changing)
Means it can change cyclone/twister/dust devil/lightningball/hammer's trajectory, but I don't think I will live enough long to see this change in D3, just my fantasies...
add in a supporting bracer that allows SW cyclones to pull lesser enemies : )

but yeah, ive always liked the vanilla SW monk. and wish for it to return.

Won Kim Lau / Fulminator / odyn son/ SOH / Eye of Storm / Thundergods belt / Wyrdward combo

Deadly reach with scattered blows for more SW.

Ive also used a 1H fist weap with life leech on which was great on ubers.

Tried this with LON but its just good for TX farming and not for GR's : <
Bring back static charge!
I would go further than just bring back static charge. They should buff all of the unused generator runes because there are only 6 generator runes being used for any builds. Quickening, mangle, concussion, tsunami, fists of fury, and assimilation are the only generators worth using because of how much more powerful they are than all other runes.