Rank 4 Solo WD - Never Done a Single no-RG XP Run

General Discussion
Hello everyone. I just did a solo GR 94 (NA) which got me rank 4.

I've seen A LOT of posts on here since I started playing RoS about people complaining about paragon chasing and the group meta.

I've never done a single no rift guardian GR XP run, and have done maybe 10 games with twister composition (another thing I've seen a lot of people complain about). I'm 1500 paragon - so relative to the average casual player that's pretty high, but compared to the top clans where everyone chases paragon and is 2k+ it's not that much.

The majority of my paragon has come from running with firebirds wizards, which I find to be much more fun compared to twister comp, and some from solo play.

I think the key to keeping the game fun is to find people you enjoy playing with, and add them on your friends list and play with them when possible. You develop friendships with people over time as you play with them more and more and you enjoy seeing each other progress.

The point is you don't have to follow the so-called formula for success I see many people constantly complaining about on here. That doesn't mean that I didn't work my tail off to achieve my rank - I play for about 8 hours average a day (just calculated it the other day out of curiosity). I think to achieve rank 4 with that is VERY reasonable considering I see some streamers in the 2000 - close to 3000 paragon club who play 12-16 hours/day. I think people do have a chance to compete against the ridiculously high paragon players if they really enjoy the game and are willing to grind - they just don't have to grind to the extremes I often see griped about on the forums if that makes sense.

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to share my thoughts. Cheers.

• I play for about 8 hours average a day.
  • that is VERY reasonable
  • willing to grind - they just don't have to grind to the extremes

Well 8 hours a day is the same as a full working day. That is by no means reasonable. I actually would call that kind off extreme grind.

People do actually have real life jobs, family, commitments etc etc. So 8 hours work, 6-7 hours sleep, eat, commute, general life then you most likely don't have time to play D3 for 8 hours.

So all though you had fun along the way the "so-called formula" is still the same. Play a very large portion of hours each day. If you consider 8 hours reasonable kudos to you.
    07/04/2016 06:53 AMPosted by SancticuS

• I play for about 8 hours average a day.
  • that is VERY reasonable
  • willing to grind - they just don't have to grind to the extremes

Well 8 hours a day is the same as a full working day. That is by no means reasonable. I actually would call that kind off extreme grind.

People do actually have real life jobs, family, commitments etc etc. So 8 hours work, 6-7 hours sleep, eat, commute, general life then you most likely don't have time to play D3 for 8 hours.

So all though you had fun along the way the "so-called formula" is still the same. Play a very large portion of hours each day. If you consider 8 hours reasonable kudos to you.

I think it's reasonable to place in the top 10 of a given leaderboard.

There will ALWAYS be people who play a given game all-day. And generally speaking, the more you play, the better you are/more accomplished you will be at the game. That's just how it goes.

Why should people who work full-time jobs, have commutes, families, etc be on the top of the leaderboards? Do they deserve to be there if they don't play as much as other people? I don't think so. I don't believe in participation awards. You can still do all those things and place on the leaderboards (hell, even top 250-100 I'd say) and I think that is very respectable. But I do not think they should complain that they aren't 50 or so if they're not willing to play the game a lot everyday.

That's what I'm responding to.
    Gratz man :) I feel the same. I play non-season hardcore with my 2 french buddies, and we just play what we like, upgrading some gems on GR 70/75 and just have a blast doing so :) The game is pretty fun if you just play what you want and ignore people are doing GR 100 with some bull!@#$ mechanic.

I made a LoN demon hunter with the 2 weapons that give strafe 100% damage. Its so much fun to play with, only can do t10 max efficiently but still. You got to upgrade some low gems one time and run bounties from time to time. So why not doing it with a bit less optimal build right? ^^
    Gratz man :) I feel the same. I play non-season hardcore with my 2 french buddies, and we just play what we like, upgrading some gems on GR 70/75 and just have a blast doing so :) The game is pretty fun if you just play what you want and ignore people are doing GR 100 with some bull!@#$ mechanic.

I made a LoN demon hunter with the 2 weapons that give strafe 100% damage. Its so much fun to play with, only can do t10 max but still. You got to upgrade some low gems one time and run bounties from time to time. So why not doing it with a bit less optimal build right? ^^

That's another thing that I'm glad you brought up - I play a variety of different builds, not just the one group meta one and the one solo push one. I'd never played witch doctor before this season, so I decided I really wanted to dive into it and learn as much about it as I could. So far this season these are the builds I've played:

1) Helltooth solo push
    2) Helltooth/manajuma speed tx/bounties farm
    3) Helltooth/in-geom/sacred harvestor/thing of the deep speed farm
    4) LoN Walker tx speed farm
    5) zuni solo push
    6) zuni/manajuma speed tx farm
    7) arachyr firebats solo push
    8) arachyr manajuma firebats speed tx farm
    9) LoN firebats solo push/speed farm
    10) support zdsp doc

Only 2 of those really fit the meta. The rest are all just for fun. I've really enjoyed experimenting with all the different combinations so far this season, and collecting all the gear from the different sets and comparing upgrades keeps it feeling fresh. I plan to try and solo push the non-meta sets more by the end of the season.

Why should people who work full-time jobs, have commutes, families, etc be on the top of the leaderboards? Do they deserve to be there if they don't play as much as other people? I don't think so.

That's what I'm responding to.

Now where did I ever argue that they should be on top? No need for strawman arguments. Your post stated that you did not have to grind to the extremes and follow the so called formula. Then I simply implied that 8 hours a day is more along the lines of extreme grind than "resonable" grind.

That's what I'm responding to
    I play a few hours here and there. I'm not on the leaderboards. I don't care, I have fun doing what I do.

8 hours a day is called a job here. Not a game...
    07/04/2016 06:59 AMPosted by DrAnger
    So why not doing it with a bit less optimal build right? ^^

That's what I do to when I run bounty's or upgrade gems, I try different skills and item combinations, just to take the absolute boredom away a bit when I have to do these things. ;)
    07/04/2016 06:41 AMPosted by adamsz
    I think the key to keeping the game fun is to find people you enjoy playing with, and add them on your friends list and play with them when possible

I play with a friend very often and we have so much fun to see the progress we are making. 100% agree with you on this point !
    @adam

...........git gud
    07/04/2016 07:05 AMPosted by adamsz
    1) Helltooth solo push2) Helltooth/manajuma speed tx/bounties farm3) Helltooth/in-geom/sacred harvestor/thing of the deep speed farm4) LoN Walker tx speed farm5) zuni solo push6) zuni/manajuma speed tx farm7) arachyr firebats solo push8) arachyr manajuma firebats speed tx farm9) LoN firebats solo push/speed farm10) support zdsp doc

well..look my perfil...wd forever..
    blizz kill wd 2.4.2.. not good dps group or farm tx and bounties only
    rank..f..
    All the jealous haters are going to down-vote you to oblivion mate.
    The OP does deserve some respect, but doesn't seem to realize playing 8 hours a day constantly to achieve solo 94 is nothing big. How do we know the OP isn't fishing like crazy? Eight hours a day...there's certainly a lot of fishing to be had with that amount of play. OP also has 105 level gems from grouping, so he isn't a pure solo player like he is saying. OP, how did your gems go to 105 if you can only beat 94 solo? How do you have most of your gear augmented with RANK 100 gems if you can only beat 94? I'm betting he hung out with the twister wizard a bit longer than he is letting on...

I'm tired of people complaining about that wizard mechanic when Blizzard stated they will take no action against people who use it. If you boys think grinding paragons to 2000 or 3000 or 4000 is the only legit way to do 100+ rifts that's fine, but many players don't respect people who just exploited/grinded paragon levels and gem levels for their high solo rift. Firebug is just as legit as fishing, using HUD programs and grinding paragons (especially grinding using a twister exploit)...
    If you want to know Thanoscopter, I was referring not only to the Wizard but I also think this kind of Area damage and these pull mechanics should not be in the game. Its a good thing Blizzard is changing this in the PTR.
    you aweir brah?
    07/04/2016 12:28 PMPosted by Thanoscopter
    The OP does deserve some respect, but doesn't seem to realize playing 8 hours a day constantly to achieve solo 94 is nothing big. How do we know the OP isn't fishing like crazy? Eight hours a day...there's certainly a lot of fishing to be had with that amount of play. OP also has 105 level gems from grouping, so he isn't a pure solo player like he is saying. OP, how did your gems go to 105 if you can only beat 94 solo? How do you have most of your gear augmented with RANK 100 gems if you can only beat 94? I'm betting he hung out with the twister wizard a bit longer than he is letting on...

I'm tired of people complaining about that wizard mechanic when Blizzard stated they will take no action against people who use it. If you boys think grinding paragons to 2000 or 3000 or 4000 is the only legit way to do 100+ rifts that's fine, but many players don't respect people who just exploited/grinded paragon levels and gem levels for their high solo rift. Firebug is just as legit as fishing, using HUD programs and grinding paragons (especially grinding using a twister exploit)...

RE fishing: Yes a decent amount of fishing was involved. I actually kept track of how many keys I used:

I spent 61 keys trying 93 and then 92 unsuccessfully. However, this is when I had EVERYTHING in int. I then adjusted so I had about +5k in vit, which made a huge difference. After that I spent 36 keys and got a 91 clear. I really wanted to get something on the board that was higher than my previous clear (a 88 with less augments on my gear and lower legendary gems). I knew I was capable of higher than that though as there was a EU player I had watched on youtube who had a 94 clear in the para 1200s and later a 96 clear in the 1400 paras. I then spent 24 keys and got a 92 clear. Then only 5 keys for the 94. I got pretty lucky with the 94 RNG-wise: 4-corner crater, act 1 mob type (but also exorcist which is terrible for WD - the only redeeming this is 2 elites followed me when I needed them to) and a power pylon I saved for the boss. So yes there was some fishing involved, but nothing compared to the rank 1 guy right now who has invested over 700 keys fishing for a 99 unsuccessfully. It took me 4 days total to do 91, 92 and 94.

RE gem levels: where in the OP did I state I was a pure solo player? I didn't. I said the majority of my paragon came from playing with firebirds wiz composition (and no, none of that gimmicky exploit version either). I've been lucky that I've befriended an EXCELLENT firebirds wiz this season that I roll with everyday lately - we do mainly 95 speed runs, but have also gone up to 102 with him (mind you he has full-time job but manages to play maybe 4-5 hours/day on weekdays, then usually all day on the weekends). That's where all my augments and legendary gem levels come from. Like I said, I've played with a twister comp roughly 10 games. I don't enjoy the play-style nearly as much, and most twister wizards play with a group within their clan - I'm currently clan-less as I quit my clan after all but 2-3 members quit within a few weeks of the season. Most twister wizards have an established group within their clan/friends list that they play with, and don't advertise in the community channels nearly as much as firebirds wizards do.

Also, I got to roughly paragon 800 and around a level 80 clear before playing ANY zero group meta. I'm relatively new to RoS and hadn't played any group meta at all prior to this season, and played the first couple weeks of the season without it.

07/04/2016 02:03 PMPosted by Adeimantus
    you aweir brah?

Awair m8. repped.
    Thought I recognized the name, grats on clear.
    [quote="207438090326"]Hello everyone. I just did a solo GR 94 (NA) which got me rank 4.

The majority of my paragon has come from running with firebirds wizards, which I find to be much more fun compared to twister comp, and some from solo play./quote]

So you got carried by the Whizzard firebird bug. Congrats? No.
    07/04/2016 02:37 PMPosted by XxTaiPanxX
    [quote="207438090326"]Hello everyone. I just did a solo GR 94 (NA) which got me rank 4.

The majority of my paragon has come from running with firebirds wizards, which I find to be much more fun compared to twister comp, and some from solo play./quote]

So you got carried by the Whizzard firebird bug. Congrats? No.

I haven't played a single game with the exploit version of firebirds.
    Good job man!

I got into top 100 playing 100% solo with below 1400 para, and played only 1.5-2h a day weekdays, all nighters on Friday and Saturday nights. Keep going!

Guys, as much as I understand that you are paragon butthurt and downvoting OP, but in all honesty, LBs are well within reach for casuals as well, the thing that matters is how one is managing time in game. I started this account solo on Friday, and I will hit top 500 before this era ands, playing exactly same way as I did before, simply paying attention to how I spend my time in game. 1-1000 is a cakewalk in seasons, with all that powercreep, shouldn't take longer than 80-100 hours, top, if you know what you doing.

EDIT

Ha ha ha, this must be the fastest 5 downvotes in my history on 3 accounts, two other above 1400 para. I feel sorry for you, losers. Stop playing forum end game, play the actual game.