My non-botting brother was banned for botting

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
My brother and I have played everyday since the launch of D3 over four years ago. We sit in the same room across from each other. We have never botted yet my brother was banned early this morning. My brother plays more than I do because I work more and has grinded for 3-5 hours a day during the week and 7-8 hours on the weekends. Everyday. For years. He was getting close to 1800 Paragon... Wouldn't a botter be much higher than 1780 after playing for thousands and thousands of hours?

This should cause concern for everybody as it appears Blizzard's software for detecting bots is flawed. If you are a serious player (some would say "without a life") than you could similarly be targeted unfairly. All that time invested for nothing. Some will say "yeah, sure..." but you will be wrong.

We all hate botters. We all hate cheaters. Banning honest players for cheating can only undermine the trust players have for this game. Can Blizzard be trusted?
if your brother really did nothing, why doesnt he just appeal the ban but rather sends you to the boards whining about it for him?

sounds fishy
Blizzard has been wrong before. But they will not admit it. And, they simply do not care. The EULA states that they can ban us for any or no reason at all.
Because the email he received says it cannot be changed.
I believe you. My mate was also banned today. He has never botted or used 3rd party software. He plays a lot but is only paragon 960. He is Pissed. Fair enough if he got caught cheating but to be banned for doing nothing. Very strange?? Hopefully he can sort it out. Good on Blizzard for banning cheats but after this i know they making some errors.
My brother Slay#1754 has put in over 8,500 hours. He was a dedicated player who has been wronged.
Is this because you are playing from the same IP adress and your playing hours added together equals inhuman waking hours? sounds suspiciously like they just look at the hours played on that IP and be like "Yep this is definitly botting".
Ha... So it is against Blizzards terms of service for brothers to play Diablo together? Should I be mad because I didn't rate getting banned?

This has been like a second job for me. Maybe this is a good thing so I can play other games...
Play the console version.....
07/13/2016 05:51 AMPosted by TheJokker
Ha... So it is against Blizzards terms of service for brothers to play Diablo together? Should I be mad because I didn't rate getting banned?

This has been like a second job for me. Maybe this is a good thing so I can play other games...

I believe the ToS states that no other person but you the owner of the game is allowed to play on that account. So whether he was botting or not, you can't account share. Account sharing = profit loss, which is why it's a rule.
This has been like a second job for me. Maybe this is a good thing so I can ''go outside''...

Fixed that for you.
If the appeal failed then blizzard must be pretty positive that your brother is a cheater.

Or even more likely you are part of a clan of mostly botters and half of them got banned, and this is your feeble attempt to make people care.
Sounds sketchy J-Rock.

Blizzard put a lot of time and meticulous tweaking into Warden for Diablo 3. I'd honestly believe their software before I believe someone telling me they weren't botting. As other people have noted he can try appealing anyway, the worst thing they are going to do is say "no".
07/13/2016 06:15 AMPosted by EnkerZan
07/13/2016 05:51 AMPosted by TheJokker

I believe the ToS states that no other person but you the owner of the game is allowed to play on that account. So whether he was botting or not, you can't account share. Account sharing = profit loss, which is why it's a rule.

I believe that if you carefully read what OP states it is not a case of account sharing.
I was irreversibly banned once for allegedly using 3rd party software (I wasn't, btw), but the appeal took like a month until my account got restored. It's possible that the same kind of thing happened to your brother.
07/13/2016 04:32 AMPosted by TheJokker
We all hate botters. We all hate cheaters. Banning honest players for cheating can only undermine the trust players have for this game. Can Blizzard be trusted?

The obvious answer to this is no blizzard cannot be trusted, they do not follow their own rules consistently they allow exploits but ban people for botting if they did or not and they wont ever admit when there wrong which is almost always with this game. The worst part is I have seen people on here actually defend blizzard like they have managed this game well.
People don't believe you because you're "being a buzzkill" and "ruining the vibe". It doesn't matter if you're telling the truth or not. Not believing you and hitting the dislike button is much easier than accepting the possibility of error.

Welcome to Earth.
It's possible that the OP's brother is telling the truth and Blizzard made one of its rare ban mistakes.

But I'd put my money on the brother is lying to not look like a douche in front of a sibling.
07/13/2016 09:22 AMPosted by SeyserKoze
People don't believe you because you're "being a buzzkill" and "ruining the vibe". It doesn't matter if you're telling the truth or not. Not believing you and hitting the dislike button is much easier than accepting the possibility of error.

Welcome to Earth.

People don't believe the OP because the majority of the time people come onto the forums complaining about an 'unfair' ban the ban was in fact totally fair and valid and the poster is lying.
So let me get this straight. The Warden program detects something fishy, maybe a bot program or Hud program or automated keypress program or other such illegal third party crap. Now a real human watches the gameplay and uses tools to detect that indeed your innocent little brother is using or has in the past used an illegal program (just deleting them doesn't mean traces aren't left behind).

So someone at Blizzard must be out to get your brother, yes that is it, has to be it.

He got caught cheating now face the consequences.