Expect D4 and not a D3 expansion.

General Discussion
Developers already said that the game mechanics and programming that is fundamental to D3 makes future design changes next to impossible.

The system they originally designed inhibits any kind of real change to the game itself, therefore, adding new features or modifying old ones to improve it will not be realistic.

I have my money on the announcement of D4 at blizzcon, with a 2-3 year wait before it is completed.
you mean next year's Blizzcon? this years was earlier this month I think....
https://blizzcon.com/en-us/
If we're lucky, we'll see a D4 announcement at Blizzcon 2020.
Regardless of which one they do as far a expansions go, I wouldn't be surprised to see Cain back for D4. He's one resilient old man.
Between getting tortured by demons and not just surviving but being able to run away from skeletons after being hit by a man sized meteor. He cant be human.
If there is only D4 in the works, the result would be a few more torturous years in the life of D3. And things are already bad enough as they are.
Diablo IV would allow for a clean slate to refine and attempt out new mechanics that are not possible in Diablo III.

One of the biggest areas of revision I would like to see would be to both campaign and adventure mode. Campaign mode in Diablo III was too story driven, resulting in some rather poor playability aspects such as periods of little to no action and tons of slow cinematic sequences. Adventure mode fixed this by allowing players to customize the action, however in doing so practically all story telling capabilities were lost. Most gameplay in adventure mode occurs inside "rifts" which kind of sucks for the lore since it all is not meant to affect the world and consists of made up places with demon illusions created from memories.

In Diablo IV I would like to see the incorporation of the story as part of the adventure mode style of play. Story missions can be selected at a vendor and have been optimized for action similar to how bounties work, with dialog/cutsences being at the beginning or end of the missions and can be smooth skipped (no delay, as if they never occured) if desired by the player. Progressing the story unlocks more of the map, allowing for more areas and acts to be available for mechanics such as bounties. Story missions have time comparable rewards to other methods of farming and can be replayed but single missions can only be replayed after doing all other missions or doing enough other tasks. Rifts are also removed in their current form and instead are replaced with clearance events which occur at random map waypoints and basically offer the same gameplay as rifts did (kill monsters, kill boss and return to town). Mechanics like the Nephilim obelisk are reserved for daily quests, or challenges which have limits so overall usage of "imaginary" locations is reduced.
Developers already said that the game mechanics and programming that is fundamental to D3 makes future design changes next to impossible.

The system they originally designed inhibits any kind of real change to the game itself, therefore, adding new features or modifying old ones to improve it will not be realistic.

I have my money on the announcement of D4 at blizzcon, with a 2-3 year wait before it is completed.

Honestly, please show me the blue post that says this.
Just create D4 based on D2 and not D3, it will be a success.
D4 would not truly change anything unless the entire decision making team is replaced from outside the company (ie not people already poisoned by WoW or current D3).
07/23/2016 05:34 PMPosted by PapaTizlak
Any prooflinks?
Here is what I want out of D4. Return to the D2 LoD game style and game play, but give it to us in a Doom 3-4 style graphics. Get away from the Blizzard cartoons/water colors of Diablo 3 and return the franchises' path to the original look and feel. If we look at the progression of the Doom franchise (look at where it has come from and where it is today), it is the same beloved game but with mind blowing graphics and wicked content. This is how the Diablo franchise should be progressing--the same game style, but with modernized graphics and new content.
07/24/2016 10:38 AMPosted by GYGOS
Any prooflinks?

Four Fire Wall HellTooth Wich doc gr 90's anyone?

I've had a blast with D3, but there are so many contradictions in design paired with seemingly endless bugs that it may be time for a new slate. That and the endless series of bugs and points of non interaction in game with items and basic game mechanics. Things like Spirit of Arachyr 2 pc not benefiting from 6pc, Invoker 6pc bonus not being affected by area damage etc. It took the team two patches to figure out how to enable physical % damage to affect the 6pc for Invoker. I don't believe this team is particularly adept at what they do, however they aren't bad enough to need half a year or more to do what I just described for Invoker.

At some point thinking for yourself's would probably be a good thing. There are and have been way too many technical issues that have resulted from changes to items or mechanics to say the system is working as intended. Don't need a blue post to actually see what's going on in game.
dead game rip
Why would they make a D4 unless there was a completely new game engine. At this point, it's not worth it to create a completely brand new game engine, there hasn't been enough technological advancements in game graphics to render new graphics and physics better than what we have now already.

None of you have any idea what consists of adding a new number to a game going from D3-D4, or Starcraft 2-Starcraft 3, they would have to make a completely different better looking game, it would literally be like real life at this point.

No point making D4 at all. Makes no sense at all.
Sol:
...make a D4 unless there was a completely new game engine

@Sol they have a gameengine now with overwatch; if that is of any use...
If people want Diablo II they should go and play Diablo II. Diablo IV should offer a different gameplay and experience much like Diablo III did, hopefully learning on the mistakes made from past titles and finding some of its own. The same applies to all decent game series.

Look at Final Fantasy, each offers its own mechanics and own experiences. Legend of Zelda as well where no two of the games were exactly the same and each has its own positive and negative points. It makes me sad to see people saying "Just create D4 based on D2 and not D3" since you are basically then asking for "Diablo II HD" and not Diablo IV.

07/24/2016 10:38 AMPosted by GYGOS
Any prooflinks?

One can see the proof looking at the client itself. It has not been designed around Direct3D11 let alone Direct3D12. It also is not well multi threaded, like StarCraft II, using only a limited amount of todays 4+ core CPUs. The engine itself is also pretty much limited to the mechanics which are available, look at RoS which did add new features but it still feels pretty much the same as nothing that major could be added. One cannot easilly expand to 6 or 8 player parties without breaking everything for example but maybe 12 or 16 player could be an option to explore for Diablo IV.

07/24/2016 12:30 PMPosted by Sol
Why would they make a D4 unless there was a completely new game engine

Clean start, also allows for complete game mechanic changes that would not be possible to add into Diablo III. For example changing party size, changing area mechanics, changing progression, changing gear slots etc. The main advantage is that minimum system requirements can be raised which can allow the use of new technologies to further game play experiences.

07/24/2016 10:50 AMPosted by Endugu
Get away from the Blizzard cartoons/water colors of Diablo 3 and return the franchises' path to the original look and feel. If we look at the progression of the Doom franchise (look at where it has come from and where it is today), it is the same beloved game but with mind blowing graphics and wicked content.

Diablo III and RoS have sold over 30 million copies world wide. Doom (2016) has sold nowhere near as many. Better graphics alone do not make a better game, which is the problem Doom has always suffered.
07/24/2016 03:15 PMPosted by DrSuperGood
Diablo III and RoS have sold over 30 million copies world wide. Doom (2016) has sold nowhere near as many. Better graphics alone do not make a better game, which is the problem Doom has always suffered.
diablo 3 sold that many copies off diablo 2 that's it that's all people did not know what they was getting.
There's absolutely no way Blizzard is going to say "Gee, Diablo 3 is bringing in no money and has virtually no player base, so let's spend (tens of? hundreds of?) millions of dollars developing a new version that people (other than hardcore fans) are not going to be that enthusiastic about in the hopes that the same or similar group of developers can somehow turn it into a success, despite the obvious decline of interest in Diablo 3". If there was a betting market for whether D4 gets announced this year, the odds would be in the tenths or hundredths of a percent.
I wouldn't be putting an expansion out of the woods yet for this game, anything is possible even for this game. I have learned to never say never on some things about games and this is one of them.

City of Heroes was a game where the devs painted themselves into a corner. Where they baked the color and animations into the powers. Where you thought it would be impossible for them to one day give the players the ability to customize the color and point where the power fires from. But low and behold they done just that.

Then for the longest time the devs of the above mentioned game along with players said that the fitness power set (auxiliary power set) would never be made inherent. Where all players would receive all of the powers by default. Yet years later low and behold it happened.

As far as D4 I would love to see a game that many might say is D4, but it could be called something else like Skovos Isle. A game where you can get into the lore of each of the places of the classes of D2. Putting the game before D3's story. Then they could even have Deckard Cain alive and as one of the NPC's if they wanted to.