Topaz still won't be used...

General Discussion
Changing the Topaz from Magic Find to Resource Cost Reduction was a sensible move… The only thing to do really… But the gem still won't be used. And why? Because there's no place to put it.

The Cooldown Reduction afforded by the Diamond in the helm is far too important to replace with anything. So either there needs to be an additional spot to socket a Topaz where it will provide the RCR effect, or CDR needs to be available on more pieces of gear.

Ideally, a fifth Primary property would be added to all gear, and Myriam would be able to enchant one each of the Primary and Secondary properties.

As it stands, despite the change to the Topaz, still, no one will use it.
Not all builds use cdr so its still an improvment
Unlike cookie cutter, my UE build use Gogok's 15% CDR to replace Diamond in helm so that I can use Amethyst for more HP. I'm wondering will Topza be a better choice to synergy with Gogok ???
Topaz does provide lotsa Thorns when placed in a weapon socket -- a must for all Crusader Thorns builds!
OP, Believe it or not you are not the only one that plays this game, and just because you won't use it, doesn't mean no one will use it. But I guess that is to be expected from whiners, I don't use certain items so you might as well remove it from the game, who cares if someone else can use it, I don't so get rid of it.
I am willing to bet there are or will be resource intensive builds that will benefit from the topaz in helm. Especially builds that have no critical cdr skills or bypass cdr with the zodiac ring.
08/03/2016 10:55 PMPosted by OldPro
But the gem still won't be used.

You may be correct for monk builds. Some chars and builds will find the topaz better but for monks I suspect the diamond will remain the preferred option. CDR is useful for many skills (offensive and defensive) but RCR is generally only useful for the main damage skill.

However, that's not to say that the change is not a good thing. The old topaz and MF were useless and if the new topaz and RCR are useful in even one build then it was a change worth making.
I guess you never played ik ss build -_-
I'll use it on my Aether Walker wizards for farming runs. I have no use for CDR with my Aether Walker builds, and don't need toughness. The extra RCR is great. I'm actually using one right now: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/TinneOnnMuin-1187/hero/52371630

It might be useful for Raiment Dash monks too. Although they need both RCR and CDR so I'm not sure which would ultimately be better.
I could see it being viable on builds like a Bell Monk which required RCR. Twister Wizards.. Basically everything they nerfed....

huh...

Well played...
My M6 DH likes the Topaz in the helm.
I have been playing with a wizard and cold skills - trying to get a cold sorc build to work.

With some of the new legendary skills, I have a nice setup going that is packing a little punch. In playing with the build i have enough gear synergizing my ray of frost that i no longer need the 68% CDR i built up - so now i have some slots available to improve the build, one of which is taking leorics off the cube slot and removing the diamond in helm - so now topaz has a chance, heh.
I still need more gear pieces to complete the build, and this is without a set on. It is looking like i will be using LoN as i do not want to remove some of the legendaries because they are making the build.
The change to the topaz is something we've been asking blizzard to do for years, so this is exactly what we asked for.

Topaz in helm is BiS for every class for early season / builds.

Because of diminishing returns, there are CDR heavy builds that just don't benefit from having a diamond in their helm; and many builds just want "Some" CDR ( or none at all ), because they have set / legendary effects that reduce their cooldowns drastically already.

Having a resource cost reduction option makes some builds better now, than they were with cooldown reduction. Dash / Storms monk? 9/10 saders? Shadow / UE / Nats DH?

Will everyone switch to topaz? Of course not, but that's a good thing. We don't want "absolute choices" in Diablo. Even if people only ever used the gem for the early game of a season, it's done it's job ( like rubies ).
08/03/2016 11:01 PMPosted by chadkan

Not disagreeing but which builds are those? I hate CDR and what it's done for the game, so I'm very interested.
08/04/2016 10:35 AMPosted by SOC
08/03/2016 11:01 PMPosted by chadkan

Not disagreeing but which builds are those? I hate CDR and what it's done for the game, so I'm very interested.

CDR is nearly their only option they could have done in the game TBH.

Since they never gave us a damn Enigma.

-.-
Cost reduction's usefulness varies based on character and their builds. For instance demon hunters will probably want diamonds to get permanent vengeance via dawn in cube, while rolands crusader could use the cost reduction to spam abilities more.
Highly resource dependant builds.

WOL Monks, IK Barbs, Firebats with aquila cuirass, and others I can't remember now. They can benefit more from a rcr gem than cdr.

Builds that already use oroz, and dont need that extra cdr and rcr will help them spam the resource spender.

Early 70s builds that spam resource spenders for farming.

Are these builds competitive. Maybe not, but thats another issue
08/03/2016 10:55 PMPosted by OldPro
Changing the Topaz from Magic Find to Resource Cost Reduction was a sensible move… The only thing to do really… But the gem still won't be used. And why? Because there's no place to put it.

The Cooldown Reduction afforded by the Diamond in the helm is far too important to replace with anything. So either there needs to be an additional spot to socket a Topaz where it will provide the RCR effect, or CDR needs to be available on more pieces of gear.

Ideally, a fifth Primary property would be added to all gear, and Myriam would be able to enchant one each of the Primary and Secondary properties.

As it stands, despite the change to the Topaz, still, no one will use it.

Channeling skill builds like Ray of Frost and disintegrate will benefit from this change.
08/04/2016 10:46 AMPosted by GlowSticks
08/04/2016 10:35 AMPosted by SOC

CDR is nearly their only option they could have done in the game TBH.

Since they never gave us a damn Enigma.

-.-

I hated Enigma too. The very playstyle you want is what I hate and ruins games IMO.