Does the game get harder?

General Discussion
Honest question. I'm a casual player at best. I don't know sh¡t about drop rates, item sets or how to right click. But I've walked through 3.5 Acts so far with my first character (WD) on hard, with nary a chest cramp to slow him down.

I finally had my first death in the Library of Fate (Act 4) by standing in about 6 of those Arcane windmills for a while.

The only boss that took more than 5 seconds (literally) to beat was the femdom spider and that's only because she's a 2-stage boss. Oh, and maybe Belial due to his "RAAAAR! NOW FIRE AND STUFF!!!" animation.

You can check my character profile but I doubt I'm doing anything special (you folks who play this as a full-time job would probably wet yourselves laughing at my build), but that kinda supports my case.
Yes, the game gets much harder. You're essentially playing the tutorial right now. Once you get to level 70 and enter the Torment difficulties it gets much harder depending on how good or bad your gear is.

When I level to 1-70, I set the difficulty to master, as hard is pretty faceroll.
08/01/2016 12:50 PMPosted by Ezekiel
You can check my character profile but I doubt I'm doing anything special (you folks who play this as a full-time job would probably wet yourselves laughing at my build), but that kinda supports my case.

Not really, you build so far looks solid, which also explains why it should feel pretty easy.

But as RedCell stated, things change when you reach the top level, and you start unlocking more of the game. Those of us who have played the game a lot call this part you are doing the long boring part until the game really kicks off.

Also, you should be able to bump up the difficulty while in the menu by clicking "Game Settings" rather than just "Start Game". The button is just below of it. But I can't remember how many of the difficulties you have access to.
That's good to know. Thx.

As far as bumping up the difficulty, Hard is as high as it'll let me go right now. Guess I need to level up a bit more.
Yea, I think so. I don't recall how you unlock the other difficulties, but should come with leveling, might not happen until level 70 thou.

But I can tell you that most players right after reaching level 70 is "Torment" ready - so that might give you an idea about what to expect of the difficulties.

Anyway, season 7 is starting friday, which means a lot of players will start from the begining on friday and work their through the entire thing, so you should be able to join up with some if you feel like it. Just be sure to have cleared the 5th act before, as they will grant you access to the Adventure Mode, which everyone plays after that.
08/01/2016 01:23 PMPosted by KiWeN
Just be sure to have cleared the 5th act before, as they will grant you access to the Adventure Mode, which everyone plays after that.

Side note: adventure mode is unlocked for all in Seasons, regardless of if you have cleared Story mode or not.
I played HC season in S6 for the last Guardian journey and went straight to adventure mode. Now in between seasons, to clean out the stash and mail, I was forced to go through story mode (so like 42 seconds to get to the stash) and couldn't choose adventure in non-season.
OP stop asking sjit questions that U can answer yourself. Done Deal..Ugg O_o
The game is never harder. There is never ending difficulty increase. So the illusion is there that it is harder, but it really isn't. The only difference is numbers get bigger.

Your gear will determine which tier you play at. But whether you are Normal or Torment 13, GR10 or GR100, the gameplay does not change.
The game does not get harder. It gets more RNG.
The 'raise difficulty' button may be greyed out while in game. If you exited to the title screen or checked before starting a session, it may allow you to increase to the next level which is expert I think then master then torment 1 may only unlock after reaching level 70.

When I start a new character I stay at normal/hard until I get all the item slots filled and maybe a halfway decent weapon. Then I bump to expert/master depending on level, usually around level 64-69 I have to drop back to hard/expert due to enemy strength ramping up.

Once you hit 70 and can replace all the level 55 gear with 70 gear you can start doing master/torment 1 and then increasing torment as you add gems/paragons/ancient items/kanai items. Be sure to read about green set items too.
When you hit 70 you can T6. Then you need paragon points, 50 per level, to go further. TX is 250 if I recall.

The game does get "harder" yes. I quote because it's more or less the same game, just with bigger numbers. Which is kind of the case with most games, but this one it's particularly static.
08/01/2016 01:36 PMPosted by Namcap
Side note: adventure mode is unlocked for all in Seasons, regardless of if you have cleared Story mode or not.

Huh? Always started season on Adventure Mode, did that on the PTR season 7 aswell...
The hardest thing for me in this game is to figure out how the characters keep up with their cooldowns. Try as I might, I have not found a single stopwatch, clock, or sundial in D3. Do they just keep it all straight in their heads?

"Hmm let me see, If I recall correctly

..excuse me Mr Monster, I'm busy...

I last used Spell A exactly 3.56 seconds ago...it should be ready again in 6.42 seconds..."
08/01/2016 04:04 PMPosted by Liveload
The hardest thing for me in this game is to figure out how the characters keep up with their cooldowns. Try as I might, I have not found a single stopwatch, clock, or sundial in D3. Do they just keep it all straight in their heads?

I last used Spell A exactly 3.56 seconds ago...it should be ready again in 6.42 seconds..."

Why would you need a clock, or even try to figure out how long the cooldowns are when it shows you right on the skills bar when the skill comes off cooldown. Talk about a useless post.
08/01/2016 04:34 PMPosted by TimberWolf
08/01/2016 04:04 PMPosted by Liveload

Why would you need a clock, or even try to figure out how long the cooldowns are when it shows you right on the skills bar when the skill comes off cooldown. Talk about a useless post.

On that topic, is there a way to get a numeric display on them like in LoL?
08/01/2016 02:18 PMPosted by Shanso
The game is never harder. There is never ending difficulty increase. So the illusion is there that it is harder, but it really isn't. The only difference is numbers get bigger.

Your gear will determine which tier you play at. But whether you are Normal or Torment 13, GR10 or GR100, the gameplay does not change.

For all intents and purposes, the above quote is true; hpwever, such was not always the case. When D3V launched it had four difficulties: normal, nightmare, hell, and inferno. As players progressed through each difficulty, the monsters not only received more health and damage but also became more difficult in a tactical sense in that elites received an additional affix that the players had to work around. So went from fighting elites with one affix in normal to fighting elites with four affixes in inferno, which could be quite brutal.

In addition to elite affixes, the monsters and their mechanics became more difficult as one advanced through the different Acts, though the monster mechanics remained the same in each difficulty. Players would start in Act I engaging slow zombies. Act II introduced more difficult mobs like the dreaded Bees. This monster progression continued in Act III and culminated with the player reaching Act IV and encountering Corrupted Angels, Overlords et al. ROS continued in the same vein regarding mob difficulty with Act V introducing some of the toughest mobs yet, e.g. Tusked Bogans and Winged Assassins.

The issue now, though, is that the above monster difficulty progression system is tied to the Campaign, which became obsolete long ago. When they introduced the infinite difficulty system, they smashed everything into GRs and just inflated the numbers. No longer is there the sense of, "wow, the mobs at the end of the game are super nasty" or "four affixes in Inferno is too much." Instead it's just, "nice, this GR has easy mobs" or "awe man, this GR has Succubi and Overlords, time to fish for a better GR."
The game is all about mindless efficient grinding or chilling with your friends. There's no risk reward or "hard". Same trash drops on torment 1 and greater rift 100+. If it's too hard or too slow, then you just lower the difficulty.
08/01/2016 01:16 PMPosted by Ezekiel
Hard is as high as it'll let me go right now.

I´m sure you haven´t even changed the difficulty yet and play on "Normal".
If you had changed you would know that you can ramp it up to "Expert"
08/01/2016 03:54 PMPosted by KiWeN
08/01/2016 01:36 PMPosted by Namcap

Huh? Always started season on Adventure Mode, did that on the PTR season 7 aswell...

Yes that's what I said. You said "make sure to finish act 5 story to gain access to adventure mode" which is not needed if he plays seasons.
Expert level is available from the start in Game Settings.
Master should open after Act IV and Torment opens at level 60.