Blizzard create a new death penalty system

General Discussion
08/05/2016 01:11 AMPosted by Hamiltonz
No Need. Delete the three items yourself. Unassign the paragon points too if you want.

If you want other to join you, make a clan. watch for the death announcement and kick them if they don't delete three items.

Isn't this how the blue challenge got started? People wanted to make things more interesting.

You don't need the devs to bless your idea with the hand of god. Make it happen yourself.

if blizzard gave me direct access to their servers and client source code i would probably create it myself
yep and it takes a 451 para lvl to come up with a way for pll to lose para lvls so he can get a bit closer to the pll that have put a lot of hours into the builds they have .you want to make it hard just don't use anything other than yellow items .
08/05/2016 01:34 AMPosted by Fight
yep and it takes a 451 para lvl to come up with a way for pll to lose para lvls so he can get a bit closer to the pll that have put a lot of hours into the builds they have .you want to make it hard just don't use anything other than yellow items .

IM NOT ASKING TO MODIFY THE DEATH PENALTY SYSTEMS, I ASKED TO CREATE A NEW ONE

YOU WOULD HAVE 0 PARAGON LEVELS IN THIS NEW DEATH PENALTY SYSTEM
No need for a new mode, there is a hc mode and if you die, I would say loosing all at your charakter and its inventory should be penalty enough.
Also in Softcore, you can do this penalty for yourself, just do this:
If you die, open paragonpoints, reset them and use for each death 5 points less. And when you will reach finally P800 and you cannot even use one of your paragons, I would say, this should even be enough for you.
But the rest of the whole wide world thinks this idea is so bs, that we do not miss it.
But you can do it for you and leave us with your good ideas.
08/05/2016 02:09 AMPosted by Gannicus
No need for a new mode, there is a hc mode and if you die, I would say loosing all at your charakter and its inventory should be penalty enough.
Also in Softcore, you can do this penalty for yourself, just do this:
If you die, open paragonpoints, reset them and use for each death 5 points less. And when you will reach finally P800 and you cannot even use one of your paragons, I would say, this should even be enough for you.
But the rest of the whole wide world thinks this idea is so bs, that we do not miss it.
But you can do it for you and leave us with your good ideas.

my good ideas, yeah sure....i can literally burn the whole economic system to the ground with my "good ideas".
A new difficulty would be fine... then make hardcore hardcore again.

Tutorial mode (current normal, simply renamed)
All current characters in current normal are there.

Normal mode (new difficulty)
5% of current paragon level experience lost on death, death debuffs character with On Death's Door which lasts 30 minutes of real time and resets duration every time you die while it is on. Every stack of On Death's Door multiplies the death penalty by 2. 1st Death 5%, 2nd 10%. 3rd 20%, 4th 40% 5th 80% and every death after that a whole paragon level. You can never lose more than one full level per death. Multiple deaths in a row or between insiginificant progress can lose paragon levels down to ZERO paragon. You may never lose levels 1-70.
In addition, any Grift in which you die is closed. Retains sharagon.

(Real) Hardcore Sharagon disabled. Stash is separate per character with the exception of the first tab, All former hardcore characters are moved to new Normal.
08/05/2016 03:01 AMPosted by Azmir
A new difficulty would be fine... then make hardcore hardcore again.

Tutorial mode (current normal, simply renamed)
All current characters in current normal are there.

Normal mode (new difficulty)
5% of current paragon level experience lost on death, death debuffs character with On Death's Door which lasts 30 minutes of real time and resets duration every time you die while it is on. Every stack of On Death's Door multiplies the death penalty by 2. 1st Death 5%, 2nd 10%. 3rd 20%, 4th 40% 5th 80% and every death after that a whole paragon level. You can never lose more than one full level per death. Multiple deaths in a row or between insiginificant progress can lose paragon levels down to ZERO paragon. You may never lose levels 1-70.
In addition, any Grift in which you die is closed. Retains sharagon.

(Real) Hardcore Sharagon disabled. Stash is separate per character with the exception of the first tab, All former hardcore characters are moved to new Normal.

you didn't even mention losing items on death.
what you mentioned is basically softcore but just a liiiittle bit more punishing.
you want something that create an incentive for softcore and hardcore players to play with this new death penalty sytem, i can't see how hardcore players would play with this death penalty system if there's no item loss on death and barely any paragon exp loss either
No they need to create Diablo 4 and forget D3 every happened. They need to have this title a game of economy and trading as it once was and progression not instanced like an MMO.
08/05/2016 04:35 AMPosted by Desalien
No they need to create Diablo 4 and forget D3 every happened. They need to have this title a game of economy and trading as it once was and progression not instanced like an MMO.

a D4 mmo, lmao.. blizzard wouldnt want WoW to be competing against a Diablo type MMO, that would be counter intuitive
08/05/2016 01:06 AMPosted by hucka
08/05/2016 01:03 AMPosted by XtHydra

the whole point of creating a new death penalty system is to incite a new type of competition.
there is no competition if youre the only one participating

Why would anyone want to compete in being penalized for death? L O L
08/05/2016 03:46 AMPosted by XtHydra

what you mentioned is basically softcore but just a liiiittle bit more punishing.
you want something that create an incentive for softcore and hardcore players to play with this new death penalty sytem, i can't see how hardcore players would play with this death penalty system if there's no item loss on death and barely any paragon exp loss either

Normal's entire purpose would be to have a middle ground between the game's elite and the corpse-piling newbie. Any self-respecting gamer simply cannot play Softcore (especially ns) as it stands because even the worst player on the planet will eventually succeed. Nothing you would ever accomplish means anything at all due to the guaranteed success of the current state of Softcore. (yay, a participation trophy)

My normal represents a compromise to have SOME penalty for dying (XP loss and grift closing) but not excessive as long as you do not die often. This means death means something, but one death isn't that big of a deal. I would be ok with upping the penalty even to include random item loss at higher ranks of On Death's Door. This means that newer players and even Grift pushers are encouraged to try things within a safety net, but each death costs them something and many deaths carries a large toll.

Remember, we are trying to expand the numbers of people playing in a mode where death matters.

Hardcore will actually be hardcore again and the harsh penalties ensure that dying should be avoided at all costs.

PS
I must point out that item loss (save for leveled legendary gems) really isn't THAT big of a deal to replace for anyone familiar with this game. Anyone who has played on current hardcore (firmcore) is way too quickly back in the running even after making massively stupid mistakes.

I think you may be missing what it means to die in HC.
I really like playing HC, but my internet is not stable enough for it. Season before last, I played 100% HC and had 8 or so DC deaths, so I am in favor of a mode in between HC and SC.

My preference would not be any of the suggestions above, though.

Instead, I would want:

• A death timer like in Grifts, but for 12 hrs.
  • Upon death, all your armor breaks.
  • To repair a broken piece of armor, the cost is much higher. Something like 100 DBs and 50 FS per piece of armor.
  • 08/05/2016 12:50 AMPosted by XtHydra
    08/05/2016 12:48 AMPosted by hucka
    since noone but you would find any fun in that, why not simply throw away 3 random items of yours after each death?

i would prefer RNG tbh, it's indirectly raise the danger of death.

Well then you'd need to add a stipulation that states: "Player will lose three random items but not weapons because weapons have weapon damage and are the sole driver for damage in this game."
    If you had the self disciple you could impose those very rules yourself, without the need for Blizzard to do it for you.
    If you want an impactful death penalty, then Hardcore is the mode for you. If you want a speed bump, then Softcore e is for you. There is really no reason to make SC more difficult.
    Let's get something straight.

There is no death penalty in SC. None. Nada.

Getting mildly incapacitated is not death and I wish people who play easy-mode would stop pretending it is anything but being knocked down for a few seconds.

Nothing wrong with SC. Most people like it. But face it. It's the next best thing to God mode.

Those that want actual consequences for their actions play HC. There's no in between and no one would care to play what the OP is suggesting. You either want a challenge or everything handed to you penalty free.
    08/05/2016 06:06 AMPosted by Grandpaw
    If you had the self disciple you could impose those very rules yourself, without the need for Blizzard to do it for you.

I keep hearing this same argument over and over, but it doesn't really work if all players in the same game mode are are not bound be the same rules.

It would be the same as someone asking for a HC mode for Diablo (if there was not a HC mode already) and you saying the same thing "Just delete your Hero upon death".

It doesn't work unless there is a separate game mode and and everyone in that mode is bound by the same rules as you are.

I am not with the OP on his new game mode, but that argument is flawed.
    08/05/2016 12:32 AMPosted by XtHydra
    lose 5% of your paragon levels

D2 softcore death lost 10% that level. In some ways with T11-13 public games, there may be simply too many leeching. Perhaps would be good to add 1 paragon bar loss (10% that level). Such would encourage players play their character's readiness not just leech.
    08/05/2016 06:09 AMPosted by Melkmann
    There is really no reason to make SC more difficult.

He is not asking for that. He is asking for a new game mode.