Blizzard create a new death penalty system

General Discussion
08/05/2016 06:11 AMPosted by VitaKaninen
08/05/2016 06:06 AMPosted by Grandpaw
If you had the self disciple you could impose those very rules yourself, without the need for Blizzard to do it for you.

I keep hearing this same argument over and over, but it doesn't really work if all players in the same game mode are are not bound be the same rules.

It would be the same as someone asking for a HC mode for Diablo (if there was not a HC mode already) and you saying the same thing "Just delete your Hero upon death".

It doesn't work unless there is a separate game mode and and everyone in that mode is bound by the same rules as you are.

I am not with the OP on his new game mode, but that argument is flawed.

It is not flawed a flawed argument. If that would make the game more enjoyable for a person why not play that way? Who cares what someone else is doing. Just because everyone one else is not losing 3 items when they die, would that make it less enjoyable for that person? I would think not.
08/05/2016 12:32 AMPosted by XtHydra
the plausible solution :
lose 5% of your paragon levels on death and delete 3 random equipped items on death.
the philosophy :
the items require too much time investment compared to paragon levels.

Actually, that is far from a plausible solution. That is quite possibly the worst thing that could ever be done. I'm not saying this to insult you, but a game that is hard just for the sake of being hard will never succeed. The reason games like Dark Souls works so well is it punishes you in a very fair way. It gives you a chance to get back into the action with a chance of redeeming your souls.

People don't want to play something where they work hard for hours on end and loose that progress and possibly more progress because of the lost progress. If Blizzard did this, I guarantee they would lose 90% of the people that play this game. They would literally be !@#$ting on their own franchise just to make a few sadists that would enjoy the idea for the first two deaths happy, then eventually quite after realizing how asinine it would be.

If they turned it into a mode, no one would play it. I would much rather lose my character.
08/05/2016 06:28 AMPosted by ragnor
If they turned it into a mode, no one would play it. I would much rather lose my character.

lol...losing part of your progress when you die is just unthinkably horrible while losing the entire character instantly and forever much more acceptable?

id sign up for this middle ground mode in a heartbeat...
08/05/2016 06:48 AMPosted by Shurgosa

lol...losing part of your progress when you die is just unthinkably horrible while losing the entire character instantly and forever much more acceptable?

id sign up for this middle ground mode in a heartbeat...

Yes. A middle ground is not needed.If you are really hot for this open up a randomizer website and enter you gear into it. When you die hit the randomize button three times and delete the gear. You don't need an entire mode for that masochism. Just a speck of creativity.
08/05/2016 06:22 AMPosted by Grandpaw
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I keep hearing this same argument over and over, but it doesn't really work if all players in the same game mode are are not bound be the same rules.

It would be the same as someone asking for a HC mode for Diablo (if there was not a HC mode already) and you saying the same thing "Just delete your Hero upon death".

It doesn't work unless there is a separate game mode and and everyone in that mode is bound by the same rules as you are.

I am not with the OP on his new game mode, but that argument is flawed.

It is not flawed a flawed argument. If that would make the game more enjoyable for a person why not play that way? Who cares what someone else is doing. Just because everyone one else is not losing 3 items when they die, would that make it less enjoyable for that person? I would think not.

i enjoy competition on fair ground therefor i would much rather make the death penalty system myself than trying to make a community to compare myself against.
08/05/2016 07:44 AMPosted by ragnor
Yes. A middle ground is not needed.If you are really hot for this open up a randomizer website and enter you gear into it. When you die hit the randomize button three times and delete the gear. You don't need an entire mode for that masochism. Just a speck of creativity.

oh so if i do it myself its a speck of creativity, but if the devs somehow added the option,
If Blizzard did this, I guarantee they would lose 90% of the people that play this game.

which they NEVER wil...90% of the player base would quit? are you really that stupid?
OP's idea is not suitable for this game because the endgame is pushing GRs.

If GRs didn't exist and the endgame was e.g. maybe T7 or something, then it's OK.
Paragon lvl 442? You have nothing to lose. LOL
This is the worst idea ever conceived for D3. Put simply ST-FU with your BS.
come on guys, spot the troll faster.
the plausible solution :
lose 5% of your paragon levels on death and delete 3 random equipped items on death.
the philosophy :

Don't ever reproduce children. Get a vasectomy asap.
08/05/2016 10:29 AMPosted by Vendetta
Paragon lvl 442? You have nothing to lose. LOL
LOL...I'm playing my first Hardcore character ever, and I'm at P328 so far.

It's not that much different than softcore, except the monsters hit a little softer. And with lifesaving passives, like Awareness, there really isn't any such thing as a Hardcore death if you play smart.

Sure, it can happen if you pop the passive and don't or cant get out of danger fast enough, and get hit again, but that hasn't happened so far.
I still like the idea of bringing the Nemesis System from the console to PC. Just think, every time someone on your friends list dies, there is a chance a rift guardian style boss may spawn on the map you are playing. It was fun on the console until the hackers got a hold of the game and ruined it.
08/05/2016 01:30 PMPosted by Nightsbane
the plausible solution :
the philosophy :

Don't ever reproduce children. Get a vasectomy asap.

i can't reproduce anyway because the current economic system doesn't support it.
whats the point of dying in d3? literally click on OK and you respawn. just give the player a legendary with "player can not die anymore" and gg.
08/05/2016 01:53 PMPosted by OldPro

It's not that much different than softcore, except the monsters hit a little softer.

False, there is zero difference in mobs.
The difference is you simply cannot pile corpses to advance.
Death means you must relevel to 70, relevel gems, and get all the equipment again.
(not as hardcore as I want it, but at least death isn't completely meaningless)

And with lifesaving passives, like Awareness, there really isn't any such thing as a Hardcore death if you play smart.

Sure, it can happen if you pop the passive and don't or cant get out of danger fast enough, and get hit again, but that hasn't happened so far.

Also false, lifesaving passives do not save you from major errors... only from minor ones. Any mob that eats through HC defenses that fast is likely going to do it again.

You are new... you will learn. :-)
the plausible solution :
the philosophy :
solution for which problem?
08/06/2016 04:12 AMPosted by KadaverjunkY

the problem is subject to how you can perceive the philosophy.
you might not want to play with a new death penalty system.
the philosophy is very simple tho, it was designed to incite a different kind of competition during seasons, it wasn't designed for a non-seasonal gameplay.
the plausible solution :
the philosophy :

The lack of choice and the lack of tension and the lack of intricacy that the D3 game world could offer and chooses not to because neither the devs nor the bulk of their targeted audience really cares...

It's no different than enjoying grifts or defending the boring gem system gems or defending set items or builds or not caring about PVP...the dumb dumb players just say to the critics:

-you already have an endless dungeon...
-you already have new gems...look how gracious the devs are for piling on this "free content.."
-they are adding powers to items...just wait a few years!!!
-they don't mind that they are just farming duplicates of their sets hoping for more trifecta...
-you complain about the lack of pvp to them and what is their witty reply?

they think your are "needy" or "whiney"...they say "you can all go and hit eachother...you have PVP....or they don't do pvp at all and so do not care about it being added to the game, they refuse to see what benefit theses things could bring because they simply do not care...

so when you ask "what problem?" you incidentally highlight a very important problem....its the problem of the global average of indifference forever baked into the minds of the people who play this game...

they see no issue, so they refuse to or are incredibly reluctant to, or are viciously unwilling to admit that a certain thing could possibly be bigger or better or more thought provoking or more engaging or more customizable or, or, or, or......and on and on and on and so forth....

The players are either fine with what they have or they passionately defend the simplistic and binary nature of it without caring and without stepping out side the boundary of their comfort zone.

its disgusting. let me say....i've gotten rather accustomed to spewing some vile hatred on these forums, and returning ten hours later to a hand full of negative votes and not a single person has anything to say in reply. the truth hurts I guess....

When people attack the idea of other game modes, the are showing everyone that they do not understand that Diablo at one point had only ONE game mode. and was prodded along to ask itself "what if...?"

They showcase the very worst of themselves, and cling lovingly to the very worst of the game. the game that loves to offer less as opposed to more, when RPGs are their very core are about the exact opposite....
08/06/2016 06:49 AMPosted by XtHydra

the problem is subject to how you can perceive the philosophy.
you might not want to play with a new death penalty system.
the philosophy is very simple tho, it was designed to incite a different kind of competition during seasons, it wasn't designed for a non-seasonal gameplay.

Right, so not a solution to any problem. More like a new feature request. You want a "Masochist" mode in addition to the existing Softcore and Hardcore.