Set Dungeons Universally Hated by Players

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
Personally I just dislike Set dungeons because they don't really teach you how to utilize the set properly as one would expect, and too many of them rely to heavily on chance.

08/09/2016 08:46 AMPosted by Replay
In addition to what has been said here, set dungeons have no place in seasons and shouldn't be in seasonal journey

You do realize that Seasonal Journal is walkthrough of everything that you can do in the game. It's basically a walkthrough guide for newcomers of what to do and where to go. It needs to be there for that simple fact. The mastering part we can discuss, but to test a player's ability and skill I do think it's fair.
I'd love for set dungeons to not be part of the season's journey.
I agree on the point that some of the dungeons require you to use the set in the way you don't normally use it. Like the DMO set, I have to run wave of force with the reflect projectile rune in order to reflect X number of projectiles back... but then it also knocks mobs back so it's kind of mutually exclusive to trapped 20 or more in a single cast of Slow Time.

Barbarian Might of the Earth is a similar story, you have to freeze monsters, which means you have to run the freeze EQ rune, but then the dungeon is filled with those little Imps that run and hide in corners so mastering it is really quite hard.

Then you look at Tal Rasha's set dungeon and you can literally master it on the first try it's so bloody simple and easy.

So I guess my only complaint with Set Dungeons is 1) Why do I need to do them, other than for the season journey/stash tab? And 2) Why are some so painfully hard and others so mind numbingly easy? Shouldn't they all be roughly challenging, but not stupidly awkward like DMO reflect?

I like challenges though. So I've never actually complained about Set Dungeons (I don't think) and I'm not here, either. I would like to see some purpose for them, though. Like for example, if you Master a set dungeon, you can upgrade a piece of that set to ancient quality. Anything. Some purpose. right now they just seem like weird little side projects we have to do to get a stash tab. Doesn't really make sense.
08/11/2016 02:18 PMPosted by Nightsbane
I'd love for set dungeons to not be part of the season's journey.

Most people want this, but then they would literally be useless since there's no other reason to do them.
I bet all cry cry here dont have the green wings yet, cry more they will prolly erase set dungeons
08/11/2016 02:39 PMPosted by Kingbaztard
I bet all cry cry here dont have the green wings yet, cry more they will prolly erase set dungeons

The posters that are "cry cry" here "prolly" don't give a crap about the green wings.
They are just poorly designed. The WW set requirements are using rend, which is basically a single target DOT on half the dungeon, multiple times, without taking any damage. Ridiculous.
I like the puzzle aspects of the dungeons, but the fact that you have to nerf yourself terribly and use the sets in unintuitive ways is frustrating.

I finally got completed, not mastered, the Wastes dungeon. I gave up trying to avoid physical damage because hey, you can't even get an amulet for that. Oh yeah, use Rend, but make sure you group up the mobs close, but don't get hit.

That's not how I'm playing my barbarian. Especially with the Wastes set. It just does not make sense.
Just.don't.care.about.it.... the game is dead anyways, like a fish in the water.

Just blew another 100 tried on Ulinas (Monk) Set Dungeon... there is no way in hell to manage it.

S7 Journey done in around 50 hours. Time to move on to the next Game.
Tomorrow No Man's Sky....
I disagree about the game being dead, new seasons are always fun for me. I personally never do the set dungeons because they are not rewarding and they are not fun. The game to me is best when switching and trying new skills and builds and maximizing gear you have in the bags. Cube was the greatest addition to any game I can ever remember, more of that stuff please.
I liked the set dungeons overall...

They were a display of set mechanics though, not how to min/max with a set.

The only thing I will ever hold against them is making me do the set dungeons AGAIN every season.

=/
Dungeon Sets are proof that Diablo 3 designers have zero clue as to what fun is.

We want fun. Not unfair, stupid and ill conceived dog poop.
I agree with damn near everything said about how they force play that is counter to how you would normally play in the game. I also agree that it is not rewarding. They spent all this time making these dungeons and yet, after you run them once, maybe a couple times (or until you Master it if that is what you are aiming for), you never go back ever for any reason (unless for the Season journey).

An idea to at least fix the reward value of these dungeons is that they should give a reward for completion and for Mastery that would allow you to want to run them, namely, a token that would interact with the Cube that lets you reforge your Set Items. The idea is basically that a simple completion would give 1 token and Mastery would give, lets say, 5 tokens. The recipe would then take 5 tokens and a Set Item and reforge it like you would reforge any legendary, but it only works for Set items (generic token, any set) with the same chances to roll as Ancient. At least this would give the set dungeons a reason to be run more than once.

Granted this only alleviates one of the two biggest problems and even then, only the much smaller of the two, with set dungeons. The biggest (by a huge margin) is that they still need rebalancing and retooling to make them all roughly on par with each other difficulty wise and that make it not counter to normal playstyle for a set/build.
Set dungeons feel horribly unrewarding and not fun. I remember trying to do the MOTE barb one when they came out and I couldn't get it down. I had to equip a non ancient 1 hander to not 1 shot everything and still couldn't get it done. I gave up for a while and finally just did the IK one last season. I don't even care anymore. I wish they'd come up with something more relevant to the game to get us the stash tabs than these ridiculous wastes of time dungeons. Like, get to a certain grift level solo or something. Level a bunch of gems to a certain level. Something semi hard but attainable if you put the time in.
Are Inna and Uliana set dungeon even do-able after the CC changes with Cyclone Strike?
yea i only do the minimum and i google the easiest one and a guide and i bring a friend.

they don't challenge the set, they don't even actually teach you how it works.

"avoid all poison damage", only adds poison monsters -> equip mara's...

that was not a fun or rewarding puzzle.

literally all the "set dungeon" should be is...

the realm of trials... get to rank 40-50-60 w/e... no keys literally just a damage / toughness meter.
Set dungeons are a prime example of the D3 team wasting valueable development time.

Game could be so much better at this point.
08/11/2016 04:19 PMPosted by Talzar13

I finally got completed, not mastered, the Wastes dungeon. I gave up trying to avoid physical damage because hey, you can't even get an amulet for that. Oh yeah, use Rend, but make sure you group up the mobs close, but don't get hit.

That's not how I'm playing my barbarian. Especially with the Wastes set. It just does not make sense.

Exactly who on earth plays a barb to 'avoid' physical confrontation totally ridiculous.

I think they should have recorded the dev's giggling and played it back when you fail one of the objectives cause in reality that's exactly what they are doing with dungeons.

Nobody I have ever talked to likes doing the dungeons they are terribly designed and were just lobbed at the players as something new and exciting when the higher-ups decided there would not be an expansion for this incarnation of D3.

I don't care about the batwings for mastering all the dungeons that's fine for NS cosmetic rewards, but to attach mastering a set dungeon as part of the seasons' journey is a bad game decision.

Goes to the heart of many of the problems of D3, no imagination left just recycled content over and over again even the pet in S7 is just a different colored Unihorn. Endless bounties you have to do, maps that we've played 1000's of times.

How hard would it have been to give us a "paper chase" collecting scrolls from the numerous libraries/bookshelves in the game to get a big reward? Not hard at all but instead we get served leftovers again and this Season Wyatt and company break their own word about not wanting the players to feel weaker after they do a patch.

And the beat goes on...
One simple QoL change will make a huge change in players feelings about Set Dungeons:

1. Re-design/balance existing ones to properly make use of the set bonuses

2. Mastering the Set Dungeon awards you an Armor Rack for that set.
Monsterous had a brilliant posting of Armor Racks that will hold your set items for you as mini-stashes. You run up to it, click it, and all your gear are auto-swapped.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/20741954126

If tying Set Dungeons into Season Journey is felt important, then after four Seasons, each of your characters will have four Armor Racks for their sets. This will allow further stash space growth to meet the needs of the player base.
08/11/2016 02:20 PMPosted by Reverend
I would like to see some purpose for them, though. Like for example, if you Master a set dungeon, you can upgrade a piece of that set to ancient quality. Anything. Some purpose. right now they just seem like weird little side projects we have to do to get a stash tab. Doesn't really make sense.
Agreed, and that's a damn fine idea for them as well.