Change to Calamity Unappealing

General Discussion
I didn't know Calamity had a problem. Apparently the developers felt they had to change it. They also made a subtle change that is undocumented in the patch notes. Not being a big patch notes reader, I was unaware of the change to Calamity until I picked one up just now:
Calamity

Now always uses your Marked for Death Rune type and cannot stack with overlapping casts of your Marked for Death

Note: this change is retroactive to existing items.

What the patch notes don't tell you is the subtle change to the existing Legendary property of the crossbow.

Previous: "Enemies you hit become Marked for Death"

Now: "Automatically cast Marked for Death when you damage an enemy."

That means that previously, where Calamity would allow you to Mark for Death entire groups of enemies (for example, with Multishot), you can now Mark exactly one. The next one you Mark will replace the previous marked enemy. Now, the only way to Mark multiple enemies is to use the Contagion Rune.

If you ask me, this is yet another "bag over the head, kick in the groin" move by the developers. For every minor flash of genius they have in this game, they kick us in the nuts 10 times.
may be meant for S6 players and easier Grim Reaper applying, since Grim Reaper basically will always be on the mob being hit by Impale.

08/12/2016 05:18 PMPosted by OldPro
Now, the only way to Mark multiple enemies is to use the Contagion Rune.

Valley of Death would be the other option, where you don't even have to wait untill the enemy is dead.
It's because they wanted to get rid of all the support specs that amplify damage for an entire party.
The bigger issue is your own area skills don't benefit from it at all because the mark is reassigned sequentially between multiple enemies hit, so you never get the damage bonus.

It's also an issue for skills you can't control targeting for, such as Strafe, Vengeance and Action Shot, or many rockets.

The rune is neat. The issues above are not.
Completely unneeded change to Calamity. You now only mark one enemy, and the mark resets to a different enemy on your next attack.

Another ham-handed nerf attempting to solve an issue that Calamity wasn't even contributing to.
08/12/2016 07:24 PMPosted by Wurger
Completely unneeded change to Calamity. You now only mark one enemy, and the mark resets to a different enemy on your next attack.

Another ham-handed nerf attempting to solve an issue that Calamity wasn't even contributing to.

Now calamity will mark one enemy only. Enemies will be marked one by one in sequence (mark the 1st enemy then cancel mark then mark the 2nd then cancel then mark the 3rd......) when you use AOE skill such as multishot. Your damage will never benefit the 15% increase damage from the mark because damage is done before the enemy is marked and the mark keep on reset in between enemies.

At the end, no damage buff at all. Well done to those dumb people in blizzard for their stupid job of ruining the DH's best, rarest, legendary weapon.
08/12/2016 05:18 PMPosted by OldPro
They also made a subtle change that is undocumented in the patch notes. Not being a big patch notes reader, I was unaware of the change to Calamity until I picked one up just now:
If it was undocumented in the patch notes, why did you quote the patch notes with the documented change???

The devs changed it to avoid party-wide buff that can be applied without an actual skill on your bar. That's why. Marked for Death is now a single-target killer (think RG), which is how the devs want the skill to be used.

I can agree that Calamity (the item's power) needs to be reworked. Marked for Death isn't suitable for it, given the role that devs want MfD to play. I also think that MfD should be buffed to 30-40% considering it can only be used single target (outside of Contagion, which may or may not actually spread it).
Old pro, they were nerfing all the support builds in this game. One of them is the dh.

For what a lot of people were complaining about the meta of 3 support, this was a change in the right direction.

Personally, the change would be fine if they actually made dps better effectively by other means, straight up damage boost, or decrease monster damage so less. Mitigation needed etc.
08/12/2016 08:41 PMPosted by Shivera
If it was undocumented in the patch notes, why did you quote the patch notes with the documented change???
Because the patch notes are confusing. If you could read and figure things out rather than simply trying to find a way to troll everybody that posts anything, you would realize this.

The patch notes allude to the player having Marked for Death slotted as a skill, in which case the bow would adopt the Rune of the equipped skill. This isn't new. Exploding Palm has used this mechanism for the Monk forever.

The patch notes also say that the Legendary power of the bow "cannot stack with overlapping casts of your Marked for Death." Them to me this implied that when I cast Marked for Death, it would take precedence over what the bow did, and if I didn't cast that skill, then the bow would take over. As it turns out, the bow simply mimics me casting the skill.

Calamity historically has carried its Marked for Death skill independently of anything that the Demon Hunter character has equipped. And it applied it to every enemy hit. This is what made the weapon powerful and desirable. Now, it still carries the skill, but applies it only to a single target, and as before, it is unruned if you don't have the skill slotted.

The improvement to the weapon power is that it adopts the Rune that you apply to the skill if you have it slotted, much like Exploding Palm does.

The absolute destruction of the Legendary power of the weapon is that it now applies to only one enemy hit, and each enemy hit will cancel the previous application of the skill. As everyone can see, and has said already, that makes the Legendary power of the weapon virtually useless, because in AOE situations it is constantly switching enemies, therefore no enemy that has Marked for Death applied has it applied long enough to suffer any additional damage.

So once again, rather than figure out a way to redirect the four-player support meta, which has been going on, they simply destroy the weapons and skills people use to create that meta, and it is nearly always at the expense of the fun and diversity available to the solo player.

08/12/2016 09:39 PMPosted by Phatty
Old pro, they were nerfing all the support builds in this game. One of them is the dh.

For what a lot of people were complaining about the meta of 3 support, this was a change in the right direction.
I understand, but as I said is at the expense of the solo player. The direction they're going may be correct, but they might try going there with something other than a bulldozer.

GG Blizz...
Does this affect the old Calamity crossbows?...cause I found an ancient Calamity from previous patch and it was such good roll and hate to think it affects the old ones aswell.

If the old Calamity works better than the new ones than I'm keeping my old one for sure.
^^ The change is retroactive to all versions of the item.

So yeah, they ruined them all.
is it really that hard to change an item or skill in a way that you want to deal dmg yourself instead of supporting?

would it be bad if all "buffs" just count for you instead of the group?
(instead of nerfing all items and skills related to that)

you know same as followers do not follow you in a party game could be done for supporting stuff... the sad thing is if a class does bring nothing to the party and another class is the best dps you are forever alone...
Yep, pretty ham fisted, along with the Wolf nerf. They should have just nerfed it in groups but no that would make too much sense.
The improvement to the weapon power is that it adopts the Rune that you apply to the skill if you have it slotted, much like Exploding Palm does.

And even this is not an improvement. Because MfD (and the rune effect) is applied after the enemy is hit.

So there is no increased damage without MfD skilled (when fighting groups of monsters). No contagion (or almost none). No increased Hatred generation. No increased damage to nearby enemies with Grim Reaper. No life regeneration. And even if we apply MfD by using the skill, Calamity will remove it with the next attack.

The only rune that does work somehow against groups is Valley of Death.

I made a video to show the "usefulness" of the new calamity with the different runes. It's german, but I think it is understandable for others as well. I used a ring with +min damage to deal constant damage all the time, so you can directly see whether you do more damage or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxR0zWrLQYA

Personally, the change would be fine if they actually made dps better effectively by other means, straight up damage boost, or decrease monster damage so less. Mitigation needed etc.

The Calamity nerf utterly destroyed a reasonably rare legendary item for no real gain. I don't recall reading any QQ posts about DH's and their "diversity killing" Calamity support builds. There aren't enough useful iconic D3 legendary items that they should be casually breaking one of the few that are (were) any good.

WC yet again says one thing and does another. I laughed when I read his lip service post regarding not nerffing solo play in their scatter shot attempt to break the support meta. I knew they would change things to the detriment of solo play, and guess what? They did.

WC and the other dev management have proved yet again that they barely tolerate a substantial portion of their player base, the solo players.
Yes, just like many other items in the game: Shard of Hate, Thunderfury, The Furnace; Calamity now joins them as an instant Forgotten Soul. Unlike Thunderfury, Calamity is no good for a Follower, and unlike The Furnace, there is no longer any reason even to Cube it.

R.I.P. Calamity

They could have changed Calamity's power 7 different ways without completely destroying it and making it functionally unusable, as has been mentioned by others in this thread.

We tested this change during the PTR and provided lots feedback on the PTR Forum, thanks in large part to Hebalon, detailing exactly how broken the change was. Their response was, of course, silence, and the change rolled out to Live.

I'm not upset with their move to make sweeping changes to the support meta etc., and if they needed to change Calamity as part of that, so be it. But this? This is just absurd beyond belief. Calamity actually makes the active MfD skill on one's bar worse when equipped because it's always hopping around with no way for the player to control it.

It's quite frustrating, it really is. It's as if the person who designed it didn't even know how MfD functioned, or the DH for that matter.
anyone tested the old calamity pre loot 2.0?
(support dh for groups)
^^ What does that matter? But for what it's worth, every legacy pre-Loot 2.0/ROS item that I still have is untouched by post ROS retroactive changes to items. But like I said, it hardly matters; who's going to use a level 60 hand crossbow? Unless you use it for dual wielding, but I don't know if the benefit of the old school Marked for Death would outweigh the loss in power of equipping it.
i love how they can change the legendary property on this for existing ones but usually when they change an item you have to find it all over again.