Just started playing after over 2 yr, state of d3 now?

General Discussion
I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions I ha after starting to play again after over 2 yrs away. I wanted to know if people feel the game has gotten better.

I also wanted to ask what are the necessary things to do in-game? I tried to google it, and I did read about Kanai's cube and Seasons, but I'm wondering if there are any other major items to get or stuff that should be done in-game.

I also wanted to ask about the overall gameplay and classes. When I last played d3, here's what I recall - a lot of people would just group with their own class to farm sets, which I always felt was annoying albeit efficient, do people still do this a lot? I remember earthquake barbs being extremely good, wizards with the permafreeze builds, crusader building akarat's mostly with shotgun, monks forced mostly to zdps, and dh and wd I didn't know much about but they did insane damage with certain builds. Could anyone let me know how these aspects have evolved now, the gameplay and classes that is?

Thanks!!
08/16/2016 07:17 PMPosted by Negative
I wanted to know if people feel the game has gotten better.

It improved on some aspect and got worse in others. It depends on personal preference though.

I also wanted to ask what are the necessary things to do in-game?

-> Bounties for Bounty Materials (most important usage: Reforging Legendary items and extracting Legendary powers for the Cube)
-> Cube (can hold 1 Legendary Power for Weapon, Armor and Jewelry... a total of 3 powers)
-> Rift for Greater Rift Keystone
-> Greater Rift for Legendary Gems
-> You will obtain Blood Shards from some things (Blood Thief goblin, Rifts, Greater Rift and Bounty Cache)
-> Optional: Ubers for Hellfire Amulet (it's not useful for every class thus it is optional)

As for seasons, they are mandatory to unlock stash tabs. You can have up to 10 stash tabs total (4 from seasons).

When I last played d3, here's what I recall - a lot of people would just group with their own class to farm sets

Loot sharing is always the better way to gear up. However, you receive a FREE full sets upon completing some objectives in the Seasonal Journey.

I remember earthquake barbs being extremely good

Trash

wizards with the permafreeze builds

Critical Mass is gone

crusader building akarat's mostly with shotgun

It's all about Thorn Crusader nowadays. It's just my opinion, but Thorn Crusader has to be one of the most boring build ever.

monks forced mostly to zdps

While Support Monk is great, they also have a viable DPS build for high GR --- Generator Monk.

dh and wd I didn't know much about but they did insane damage with certain builds

Pet WD is one of the stronger "DPS" build. It's currently fighting against Firebat WD. I'm not too sure how it will end up.

As for DH, her DPS is not high enough for high GR. I saw some gimmicky DH build (Fan of Knives) for high GR, but that only lasted a single day. I haven't seen a DH since then.
I think it's better than Vanilla was, but that was way back when, and the market cause insanely terrible drop rates. (I came back in May and hadn't played since then.)

Firstly, you're going to want to do seasons, unless you want to go pure solo.
With seasons, you'll be able to power level (though leveling doesn't take that long solo).
If you find someone to power level you, they may even grind power Paragon and gear for you.

Seasons are also good for gathering bounty mats and high level group GRs and/or legendary gem leveling.

Outside of seasons, you're going to be on your own... have yet to find a group at any difficulty outside of seasons.

When it comes to farming standard mats and death's breath, you're going to want to go with a speed farm build. Every class has at least 1 speed farm build, with Demon Hunters likely having the most speed farm options and being the fastest. I'm currently rolling a DH in the off-season and it's pretty fun.
My preferred next two speed farming classes are Wizard which is basically running around on top of stuff while you constantly blow up... Likely the most easy is Witch Doctor with focus on Helltooth(set) Gargantuans with short man's finger and Manajuma's Way(2 piece set).

Next, once you hit lvl 70, you're going to want to farm act 1 bounties with a group in order to get the Ring of Royal Grandeur.

So, seasons will allow you to gear faster, as you'll be able to easily get into public games to farm bounties. (trust me, bounty mats are pretty important)

If you're against seasons, it's going to take you a bit longer to gear up.

If you want to play seasons, and want to stay solo, you'll have a slightly higher gearing time, but only because completely certain challenges will give you certain pieces of gear.

It kinda sucks, because the bounty farming system has a bit too much focus on group play.

As far as which class to pick, that's entirely up to you. Just watch some youtube videos on best setups for speed farming and running high GRs.
I miss the RMAH but without the flippers and botters.
Auction House gave me a reason to stay longer and hang out after running rifts.. :O)
Thanks for the reply guys! Extremely useful and thorough :D

In regards to seasons for gearing though, you don't actually get any of the loot from seasons on your non seasons characters until after the season is over correct? The guaranteed set for example, there's no way to send that to a non seasons character before that I imagine?

I am a bit surprised that groups cannot be found outside seasons though. Does that mean way less people are playing? I figured most people would play non-seasons actually haha
The game blows dog poop.

Set Dungeons ... nothing more to say
Play seasons, you probably have no reason not to since your gear will be outdated

Do the season journey, after you finish the first 4 chapters you will have a full set, and then you´re good to go. You can probably find people to rush you and make these first chapters quickly, but as you haven´t played in a while I would take my time and do them on my own
08/16/2016 11:17 PMPosted by Negative

In regards to seasons for gearing though, you don't actually get any of the loot from seasons on your non seasons characters until after the season is over correct? The guaranteed set for example, there's no way to send that to a non seasons character before that I imagine?

Correct. However, there's a bit more to it.
1) You start with ABSOLUTELY nothing. No paragon, no gear, you even have to level your character.
2) Any gear, paragon, and anything else earned during season cannot be used outside of season until the season ends and your character is transfered.

[Quote]I am a bit surprised that groups cannot be found outside seasons though. Does that mean way less people are playing? I figured most people would play non-seasons actually haha[/quote]

Truth be told, there's not going to be that many people grouping in seasons either, but they're definitely not grouping out of seasons.
There is significantly less people playing the game now than in the past, and there's less and less every season. Partly because every season is the same thing over and over again, you can only gain up to 10 stash tabs, and Bliz hasn't been doing too grand in the realm of gear balance.

It's enjoyable enough for the short run, but you're eventually going to get annoyed with the excessive farming and Reliance on grouping.
Still boring but instead of logging off constantly to farm different acts, you just run greater rifts over and over and whatever doesnt drop from that loot pinata Kadala will round you off. So fully geared in one night and bored again.