~Casual Players: Improving at Greater Rifts~

Barbarian
Greetings my fellow Barbarians!

I'm a long time player of greater rifts and I want to share some tactics on how to improve. If you're like me and have a full time life outside of D3, it can be challenging to progress.

I was rank 54 era 1. There was lots of frustration and disappointment for me in era 2, 3 and 4. During era 5, 6 and now 7 I found some things that worked well for me.

I've broke into the top 50 again, and this is because of the 10 min average approach. (Explained at bottom)

I love to share ideas. I like to have discussions and lift players up.

Here are some ideas to consider.

Time

The first challenge to overcome is limited game time. You don't have much time to play, so you need to maximize that time. I play roughly an hour on weekday mornings and put in as much time as possible on weekends.

This can be accomplished with a few simple guidelines.

1. Let go of the idea that you have to re-invent the wheel. Trust in the hundreds of hours the full time, professional players put into Diablo 3. The best builds have been discovered. The fastest way to farm is well documented. Use this wisdom to your advantage. That way when you are in game, you're getting things done.

If you wanted to join professional racing, and someone offers you a pre-built racing car, take it. You don't have to hand fabricate it yourself. The good news for you, in the Barbarian forums if you ask for a race car, we're going to give you one.

2. Stop posting so much on the forums and play the game...I need to work on this one. We will get there together.

3. Material and Item awareness. You need to do your homework. You need to know what items are valuable and what rolls are ideal. Maximizing the gear that you have is the best way to make progression.

4. Organization is key. You need to know exactly where everything is on your account. Spending time searching for that legendary gem or you Fire Nemesis bracers is a waste. Have a place, put it back and play when you have time to play. No one enjoys the stash searching game.

09/11/2015 02:20 PMPosted by Tao
The Tao of Single Class by Tao - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/19614201225
The Tao of Multi Class by Samir - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/19622292176

You need a house cleaning day. Mine is Sunday Mornings. I get stuff all week that I'm unsure if I want to keep or not, then on Sundays I sort it all out.

Comparison

This is your game.
This is your time.
This is your life.

It doesn't matter in the slightest what anyone else is doing.

If you are having fun, you are winning.

Make your own goals. Blaze your own way. Comparing yourself to players with more time, more resources, more experience and more anything is the path of disappointment.

Right now is the experience. Right now is the fun. Right now is the only thing that is real.

Don't go chasing the carrots of infinity. D3 is a game with endless difficulty. Find the level you are at, and work from there.

Nothing else matters.

Burning Out

Have you ever tried to watch all of the Lord of the Rings movies in one day?

Don't. It's horrible and jacks up your neck.

Why would you do the same thing with a game? It's going to get boring. It's going to start to feel like work. Mix it up, do something else. Otherwise, you will just downward spiral and might as well go post in General with all the cry babies that don't understand the simple truth: Games are an interactive experience.

You have to bring something with you when you play. You have to find the fun.

It's like you're playing a guitar and are complaining that the song sucks. Play a different song. That's on you. The developers only provide the sand box. Your imagination does the rest.

Be a Barbarian and take your fun.

Ready to Play

You need a character set up for each type of content you want to enjoy.

Greater Rifts
Key Farming
Bounties
zDPS - Group Greater Rifts

That way when you have time, you're jumping right into what you want to play. The key thing is to be set up ahead of time.

This is especially true for groups. You need to be ready to go. Then your half hour of free time becomes an opportunity to play with friends, gear up and have fun.

Give people a fair warning. "I'd love to join, but I only have 30 minutes."
Give the group a heads up when it's your last rift. "Last one for me guys, we're crushing it, good job."

Respect and Gratitude

Diablo 3 is a solo game with magical interludes of fellowship. I've had so many friends that have come and gone.

Treat people with respect and gratitude. Be patient. Don't rush people. Share your extra items and materials.

It's a simple thing to do and makes your time together so much better. I've laughed much more playing with friends than I have at Kormac's lack of wit.

Our time together is limited. Show some appreciation for people and you'll have more friends than you can keep track of.

Make the Leaderboards your own

Playing with skill vs praying for Luck.

I'm a long time Leaderboard fisher without the time to fish it. For me, it's no longer a fun way to play. If you are a casual player, I highly recommend you stay in skilled waters instead of praying for soft rifts.

I've used the following technique for the last four eras. It works. You will get better.

Forget luck. Chase skill.

Decide for yourself.

Do you consider your Personal Best something you can improve upon and control with skill and experience? Or would you rather let Random factors decide what is is your Personal Best?

How?

What is the highest Rift I can complete in under 10 min average? You'll have to record your times. Start off low. 10 min isn't as easy as it sounds to get every time.

Why?

Benefits of this approach:

1. Winning - A fun way to play
    2. Great Loot - Critical if you need any upgrades for any of your characters
    3. Four Gem upgrades - You need lots of augments
    4. Zero frustration - This is your game, keep it fun.
    5. Any map - No one likes to auto close maps. Boring.
    6. Safer from RNG - (You'll be shocked to see some rifts are so good/bad.)
    7. Any Monster make up, bring it on!
    8. Pylons are Bonus not required
    9. Easy to maintain enough Keys
    10. Best Solo XP - During Era6, I did 150 solo GRs in the 10 min range. Paragon 1150 to 1300.
    11. Consistent progression that lets you learn your build

=Teaches you a ton about the game. More than you can every learn pushing at your max.
=Use the last 5 minutes as an offset RNG.
=Use the fact the game keeps track of your personal best to your own end.
=Decide your own rules.
=Have fun.

Make your gaming experience your own.

A great little calculator to record times.

http://www.grun1.com/utils/timeCalc.html

Pushing your limits

Once you have all the gear maxed out, all your gems leveled and can't improve your secondaries, then you push.

You will reach a point where there is nothing else you can do to go further. Paragon will simply stop you. At this, re-valuate your gear and target any item of weakness. Ask the forums, we will help you.

If you're as ready as you can be and are still stuck, mix up the levels. Either go 3 levels back and try for better times, or just go 3 levels up for awhile.

For example, you are stuck on 77 Go down to 74s and get better times. Or even better, jump into a few 80s and practice dodging and staying alive. After a few 80s, that 77 is going to feel easy.

Too Much Damage incoming

Damage isn't too high, you're just getting hit too much.

You need to learn what can damage you as you progress. If it hurts you, eventually it will kill you.

Dodge, avoid, pick and weave.

See Clearly, Reduce Visual Noise and Completely Useless Information

Turn off all Damage numbers. Turn off all health bars. These are a crutch. Training wheels. The distraction of 'Oooooo neato! Look at that crit!?' or 'Why didn't that CRIT?@#$%' are simply not worth it.

You need to be able to really see. Every animation. Every demon.

When it plays it's death animation, it's dead.

Make your mouse HUGE in your Operating System and it will be big in game.

Study your Enemy...The Demonic Scum

Learn the enemies of the game. Watch them attack. All the Rift Guardians have animation and audio cues that tell you they are about to attack. Once you learn all of those, it's much easier to fight them.

If you need any help.

Let me know.

Have fun.
Great words of wisdom Tao bro, +1000 for this thread to you

I think you had put very much reality which in general player ignore and I don't think there would be more better words could be used to express your heart.

Basically I feel knowledge is raining in this thread, grab it as much as you can guys

On other side Frankly, I was seeing more rants / fights or some other silly topic which doesn't make any sense in any regards on forums off late, but very few such type of threads

Keep up the good works and words of wisdom bro

Thanks
HBTT
Treat people with respect and gratitude.

How am I supposed to do that with Free when he just gets on TS every night with some beer in him already and just talkin **** about boy bands.

Can't do it... folks... can't do it!!!!
Great post Tao! I almost feel like this thread was about/for me LOL

I appreciate all the help you've given me since I came back to the Barb forums. I have my Thor Sader that I'm playing with that give me the "fun" element you mentioned. It's fun just to see how much lightning I can put on the screen!

Ultimately I'm pushing with my Barb though. I'd like to get to GR80 solo this season. That's my goal!
Great advise @Tao. I am always a casual gamer, but I hate it if I am not in the 1000s every era at least once. Have managed to do so a couple of times (last time was with wiz sorry guys :) ).

On a separate note...

09/01/2016 11:03 AMPosted by Archael
How am I supposed to do that with Free when he just gets on TS every night with some beer in him already and just talkin **** about boy bands.

How do I use TS? Seems like I am a total noob in terms of using TS. I've logged in multiple times but can't seem to figure out which room or how to contact you guys in Fray. I believe we are using same TS server for Fray and a couple of other clans? Some guidance perhaps? Tks.
09/02/2016 01:27 AMPosted by Anwin
How do I use TS? Seems like I am a total noob in terms of using TS. I've logged in multiple times but can't seem to figure out which room or how to contact you guys in Fray. I believe we are using same TS server for Fray and a couple of other clans? Some guidance perhaps? Tks.

The server details are posted in the clan news section. Use the Connections drop-down, Connect, and enter the server ID in the top box. I'm pretty much a noob with it too but that'll get you started. I should log in this weekend sometime now that my headset works.
09/02/2016 02:36 AMPosted by Foamy7
The server details are posted in the clan news section. Use the Connections drop-down, Connect, and enter the server ID in the top box.

This much I am able to do. Then I don't know what to do hahaha. I'll login this weekend, maybe even later today and check it out.
Great post Tao! +1000 for this!

I agree with every single word!

Although you may not see all the LoR movies in a day, it seems that "you have sought counsil from the wise my lad".
09/02/2016 01:27 AMPosted by Anwin

There are many helpful Teamspeak guides out there. Google it and you'll have it up and running in no time.

During my time in Fray, the Teamspeak was rarely occupied. Not sure if that's changed recently.

I spend most of my time in my clan's TS (Omega), which is not open to the public at the moment.
No1. Tao, great advice and nicely written tips. This is exactly what I'm doing every season. My goal is always to reach level which allows me to run 70s in 5-6min. And as U pointed it out, there's always some drop and exp. Besides, if someone's up to run two classes it's also great thing. Fast grifts and then spend bs on second class. Example: On actual s7 EU I did stash on Tuesday and started spend bs on dh. Had him geared in 2days, 3rd day I reforged main weapon to ancient. And note here, always head into anc weapon first as it's biggest dps boost. Then the armor pieces.

No2. As I play mostly in nights at work/home watchin over my 2lil monsters, tbh I never used TS ;) so no, you're not a noob :) not everyone can afford to fully involving in group play. But if U have the time it's great thing :) like year ago maybe more, I ran few rifts with my old m8 on Skype and man that was hella funny xD as we both always had kinda harsh sense of humor ;)

Peace and have fun Brothers. It's no1 anyway ;)
Update:

See Clearly, Reduce Visual Noise and Completely Useless Information

Turn off all Damage numbers. Turn off all health bars. These are a crutch. Training wheels. The distraction of 'Oooooo neato! Look at that crit!?' or 'Why didn't that CRIT?@#$%' are simply not worth it.

You need to be able to really see. Every animation. Every demon.

When it plays it's death animation, it's dead.

Make your mouse HUGE in your Operating System and it will be big in game.
Great thread. makes me want to pass up my work/study commitments for a while and get back to gaming! haha!
I'm bumping it, in purpose. It's one of the best threads out on this forum.

I miss Tao:(
05/05/2017 12:21 PMPosted by S4v4G3
I'm bumping it, in purpose. It's one of the best threads out on this forum.

I miss Tao:(

Yes and Yes.