Upcoming Forum Migration

Blizzard Archive
Greetings, nephalem!

Our web team is working towards deploying an update to our forums. If you frequent the forums of our other game titles, you may be familiar with this layout already. We're constantly keeping an eye out on feedback and implementing bug fixes and functionality improvement, and we'll be continuing to do the same for our Diablo community.

As part of this migration, we are planning to tidy up and consolidate some of our lesser used forums. Here are the forums you can expect to see when we make our migration:

• Gameplay Forums
    • Items & Crafting
    • Hardcore
    • Brawling
    • Lore and Story
  • Community Forums
    • General Discussion
    • Aus/NZ Discussion
    • Console Discussion
      • Trading [Console] will be merging with the above forum
    • Clans and Communities
    • New Player Help
    • Community Creations
      • Gameplay Videos & Streams will be merging with the above forum
  • Classes
    • Barbarian
    • Crusader
    • Demon Hunter
    • Monk
    • Witch Doctor
    • Wizard
  • Support Forums
    • Blizzard Archive [Read-Only]
    • Service Status [Read-only]
    • Bug Report
    • Console Bug Report
    • Technical Support
    • Mac Technical Support
  • Games, Entertainment, and Technology Forums
    • Games & Technology
      • Games, Gaming, and Hardware and Technology and Science are merging into this new forum
    • Movies, Books, and TV
      • Movies, TV, and Entertainment and Books and Comics are merging into this new forum

Of course, the forums aren't just a place for us at Blizzard to post information; it's a place for our community to interact, discuss topics, and offer feedback. We're leaving this thread open for exactly this purpose.

Are there any forums you'd like to see created, or any that you will particularly miss having around? Do you have any feedback about forum functionality you'd like to see? While we can't promise immediacy in implementation (or that some requests are possible for us to fulfill), we do want to know your thoughts on how we can improve your community experience.

Let us know! We look forward to reading your feedback.
Please merge Items/Crafting and General Discussion together. Itemization talk is important and it feels bad when they are moved to a less active forum :(
When the other game forums were migrated, all old links to my threads stopped working. Can this be avoided with D3, or can you do redirects at least?
08/31/2016 12:21 PMPosted by DoomBringer
Please merge Items/Crafting and General Discussion together. Itemization talk is important and it feels bad when they are moved to a less active forum :(

I would guess it is because they have specific item designers for D3 and that ensures they see the feedback that is just for them. I agree though that items are so closely tied to other aspects of gameplay that it is hard to separate them out.

08/31/2016 12:16 PMPosted by Nevalistis
Service Status [Read-only]

This forum needs to go http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/5394512/ It is no longer used by the Support team. The new location for Maintenance Announcements on the website is Support https://us.battle.net/support/en/ There is a Breaking News Message there every week covering maintenance for all games as well as any new issues. The same is also reflected in the Bnet launcher and on CS Twitter. The Service Status forum is redundant and nobody has posted on it since the migration to the new Support setup.

For those concerned about the changes. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/20747796008 They have managed to resolve some of the functionality issue. Forums Patch Notes http://us.battle.net/forums/en/patch-notes/ This applies to all the Forums in the new format (OW, WoW, SC2 for now)

-Partial Quoting was returned.
-You can type while the 60 second post cooldown is ticking.
-Edit thread title fixed
-Fixed not being able to navigate back to the main forum via a link at the bottom of the thread. You have to scroll up and click the link at top of the page or hit back several times.

Other issues are not resolved yet by Blizzard
-Not being able to see who last posted
-Not being able to navigate to specific thread pages from the main forum index
-Clicking on the Blue or Green tags takes you to the page with the post, but not the actual Blue or MVP post. (Firefox issue)
-Thread creation date not viewable without clicking thread
-Flyout menus to navigate forums missing. Forced to go back to main forums page
-Main forums page does not allow you to collapse categories and takes up tons of space

MVP Deanx however has made an add on for Firefox that fixes quite a few of these QoL features.

Release Version 1.1 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/battlenetforum-we/

Version 1.2 has been submitted to Mozilla to be signed, but has not made it through the process yet.

Test Version 1.2 is on his Twitter along with some other features he will be adding in the future.
https://twitter.com/mvpdeanx
08/31/2016 12:34 PMPosted by Stan
When the other game forums were migrated, all old links to my threads stopped working. Can this be avoided with D3, or can you do redirects at least?

This is odd. Mine still work. Make sure to edit your post to include what browser you are using.
Itemization talk is important

it feels bad when they are moved to a less active forum
My head just exploded. Do that again.
Transparent text, backgrounds, and templates are never fun to read; nor predominantly light colors.

The old forums ( and diablo 3 in particular ) are much easier to view, especially when its late and you're tired or its early morning and you have sunrise glare on your screen.

I don't want to feel like I'm reading the forum through a snowglobe / magnifying glass; or like I'm trying to play a Gameboy in direct sunlight.

I also don't care at all for the "Mobile" look to the site or forums that have already been changed. I'm on a PC ...I want high res screen space. I don't want a consolidated flash page that takes up the middle of my monitor and nothing else, nor something that's "zoomed in" to fit everything because it was designed for mobile phones.

Don't fix what isn't broken. You should have learned that from last year's debacle with trying to "update" the forums.
Do you have any feedback about forum functionality you'd like to see?

Find some guys who can develop quality forum skins and add the possibility your posters to choose from them. Because atm, your new forum design seems tested only on mobile phones, maybe your current web team uses mainly low resolution devices? If so, place them on a high resolution PC and ask them if they consider this good design?

About the functionalities - this forum (the old one, the one I am posting atm) has all that is needed. Try to just *copy* its current functionalities to the new one. This will be enough.

We look forward to passing our feedback!
I'm surprised nobody has made a request for forum avatars yet, since there are entire threads devoted to this issue.
Update forum, I would like to go to a place where changes have been made to the game where I can ask questions. Every 3 months or so items change, it would be nice to know, what changes effect me. Sometimes its hard to keep up if you play different classes every now and then, without back tracking the posts. :)
Does this mean we will upgrade beta-avatar.jpg?!
08/31/2016 02:52 PMPosted by UnReal
Update forum, I would like to go to a place where changes have been made to the game where I can ask questions. Every 3 months or so items change, it would be nice to know, what changes effect me. Sometimes its hard to keep up if you play different classes every now and then, without back tracking the posts. :)

Most of that information is in the Patch Notes all of which are here http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/patch-notes/

08/31/2016 02:19 PMPosted by PsykStrike
I'm surprised nobody has made a request for forum avatars yet, since there are entire threads devoted to this issue.

I think those threads covered our desire for a change :) I even took it up in person at Blizzcon in 2014 and was informed they were not doing them for the current forums for D3, HotS, or HS. However, Overwatch is the new forum format and DID eventually get something so I have some hope that maybe D3 will eventually once they convert the forums. Maybe not right away, but eventually.

A suggestion that was recently made that I liked was to have some fairly distinctive portraits so that it is easy to tell who got to what level of the Journey during Seasons then be able to use a D3 hero image and a portrait frame on the forums. That, or I guess a D3 image and our in-game banner might work too just so we have something a bit unique per char.

The other thing that was requested as far as the website goes, is to update the Profiles to be more accurate, show our Seasons Journey progress each Season, show our Conquests, and maybe Achievement points. It would be nice to see at a glance how far I have gotten each season.
Build trackers could be a useful inclusion. Many of the questions I field across the forums relate to FOTM builds, which players take interest in, due to their popularity. By including a build tracker (indicates trending builds), it makes useful information immediately available to forumites of all types (new, returning, experienced).

This feature could also pave the way for build highlighting, which could be handled in much the same way as Play Your Way builds. This would give experienced players a stronger voice within the community, allowing them to share their wealth of knowledge with more up and coming players, providing detailed explanations of build synergies and mechanics. By making such information available to all players, it may have the effect of driving competition.

Additionally, build highlighting may also serve to make developers more aware of the community's views, regarding certain builds and mechanics, which may be flawless or particularly clunky. Ultimately, the aim is to save forum users (at all levels) as much time as possible, by improving the availability of information.

When it comes to threads, many become duplicated, because readers do not wish to backtrack or sort through seemingly endless pages of topics. A more obvious icon/link, which can always be found in the same place (i.e. a sticky), could also serve to promote modified content (i.e. set changes between seasons).

It is true that players already have access to these resources via external links (youtube videos and such), but it would seem appropriate to consolidate those resources here, on the official forums.
I can't fathom why a Brawling forum is still (or ever was) necessary. I would also like to see the return of the Quests and Achievements forum which US used to have (and EU still has) as it was a useful central location for the discussion of all the strange quirks and clever strategies that crop up in achievement hunting.
08/31/2016 12:41 PMPosted by MissCheetah

These seem like pretty big downgrades. :(
08/31/2016 05:39 PMPosted by Razorphilia

These seem like pretty big downgrades. :(

Yes, but compared to the things they fixed, those are minor. MVP Deanx has not fixed those yet, but he is working on some other amazing things for the Firefox Forum add on and will take suggestions. He did try the last poster thing, but said it was not practical in bulk, but he did make it so that topics YOU decide to sticky show last poster. Check his twitter for a recent post on other things he is thinking of. Some pretty nifty stuff. The link is in my first post in this thread.
08/31/2016 03:22 PMPosted by Davlok
Does this mean we will upgrade beta-avatar.jpg?!
What's really sad about the new forums is how much they are lacking compared to the old forums. Things like missing functionalities, large in-your-face layouts and texts, poor navigation are just some of the criticisms.

They once claimed they are retaining the most useful features yet somehow Edit Thread Title and Selective Quoting, amongst others, didn't make the cut initially. It was partly through negative feedback which eventually forced a backflip with a triple pike, 2 and half turn on a 4.5 degree of difficulty.

It's almost as if whoever is in charge of the project is completely unaware of the existence of the old forums. You also have to wonder if the web team have any idea about website user experience; IMO the new forums scores much lower on that than the old forums.

Yet still, they are adamant on forcing a migration when the whole thing is still a work in progress.

Here's the recent activity as found on the forum patch notes (yes, it's a thing) which highlights their poor approach to this whole thing:

2.8.0 - August 23, 2016
Edit Topic Title: We added this back because we know you missed it.

2.7.0 - August 2, 2016
WoW Guild Names Added Back: We know you missed them, and sorry we forgot them, but here they are again!

Quote Highlighted Text: Won't work on mobile, but sorely missed on PC.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/patch-notes/

Though I have been used to the new forums for some time, I still have to hold my nose to get through it.
08/31/2016 09:09 PMPosted by Hypersonic
It's almost as if whoever is in charge of the project is completely unaware of the existence of the old forums. You also have to wonder if the web team have any idea about website user experience; IMO the new forums scores much lower on that than the old forums.

Completely true. Not sure why we did not have a focus group of high forum post users to test the format (this goes for all the diff game forums, not just D3 seeing as they have the same format). I would have done it, *grumbles about all the times she did give feedback on the new forum iterations but they ignored it*
Are there any forums you'd like to see created, or any that you will particularly miss having around?

I really would like to see some information/rules/how-to-apply about fancite-program. Is there any particular place in the forums where some of this is available? How does the process start and go?

p.s. I'll leave a topic without resolution (so far): http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/17610471183