[Blizzcon Speculation] Just a new class?!

General Discussion
Prev 1 12 13 14 24 Next
11/04/2016 09:07 PMPosted by Shivera
No, not a warranty. The manufacturer of the equipment warranties it.
My company would do an install for technology. So if a business needed say, networking equipment - they would purchase switches, routers, gateways, wireless access points, printers/copiers, network cable drops, etc. from us. We would install, setup, and maintain networks (if needed), provide technical support (if needed) - all depending on contract and services. But even basic installs had at least a year of on-going support. A basic site might be $50,000.

I said LIKE a warranty. That cost is still covered elsewhere.

For example, Discount Tire (They have them all over the US) will repair a tire free of charge, and do free rotations even if you're not a customer or bought that tire at that store.

In Discount's case, this drums up business for them and they're likely to see you as a return customer (as I have been for the last 10 years) and this cost is already covered in the cost of the tires from other customers. More than likely, this is in their advertisement budget as they don't need to run nearly any ads at all since most of their advertisement is word of mouth.

That cost is still accounted for SOMEWHERE.

In Blizzard's specific case, they decided to forego charging customers for expansion content that they've been gradually releasing for free over the last year or so. However, faith in the franchise hasn't rebounded (in fact it has declined) so the decision to forego profit to restore faith backfired, and they have to recover those costs elsewhere.

I don't have Blizzard's books in front of me, I can't tell you where funds are allocated, but what I can tell you is that D3 NEEDS to recover some of that development cost lost that was going into a 3rd planned expansion. This is one area where they can recuperate those losses. The point is they planned another expansion, backtracked on that plan, and fell into a deficit that they have to recover.

Lastly, you want to talk about greed? How can a company like Blizzcon be so evil and greedy when their biggest event of the year, Blizzcon, is a NET LOSS for the company. They do it for the fans, just like they released expansion content for the fans, but eventually, they have to pay those bills.

Anyway, I'm done with this conversation at this point as I've just started repeating myself so I'm just going to go do some Calculus homework or something.
They have the audacity to also say we won't get this until late next year, ROFL. The house is burning but everything is fine!
11/04/2016 09:20 PMPosted by Drothvader
Lastly, you want to talk about greed? How can a company like Blizzcon be so evil and greedy when their biggest event of the year, Blizzcon, is a NET LOSS for the company. They do it for the fans, just like they released expansion content for the fans, but eventually, they have to pay those bills.
rofl@you if you think this event is a net loss.
Sorry, but tickets are $200. Last time I went, they were $175 - and Blizzard itself said they had 35,000 in attendance. That didn't include virtual ticket sales.
Here, I'll do the algebra for you: 175 x 35,000 = 6,125,000. 6 MILLION DOLLARS. And again, that doesn't factor in Virtual Tickets. And sure, they have to pay staff, the arena, etc. But $6 million?

Are you honestly stating that Blizzard spent 6 million dollars hosting Blizzcon? If it were losing money year after year, Blizzard wouldn't be doing it.
11/04/2016 09:30 PMPosted by Desalien
They have the audacity to also say we won't get this until late next year, ROFL. The house is burning but everything is fine!

Actually 'late' next year.

https://twitter.com/candlesan/status/794706253641437184

So might as well of announced the Necro at Blizzcon2017.
11/04/2016 09:20 PMPosted by Drothvader
In Blizzard's specific case, they decided to forego charging customers for expansion content that they've been gradually releasing for free over the last year or so. However, faith in the franchise hasn't rebounded (in fact it has declined) so the decision to forego profit to restore faith backfired, and they have to recover those costs elsewhere.
No man. They charged for the expansion. It was called RoS.

Everything released after RoS has been game updates. Nothing has been worthy of a new expansion. RoS added a ton of new content, new features, new game modes, the list goes on and on. Balance tweaks, set balancing, skill balancing don't count as updates. Those are a given, because players won't play broke crap, which was Blizzard's fault to begin with.

This DLC pack? It's not content. It's not an expansion - you can't pretend it's anywhere on the scale of what RoS did. RoS literally made D3 a different game. This DLC pack will make D3 the same game it is today - just with one new class. I can't say it any other way. Keep defending Blizzard, it's your opinion, but this seriously reeks and isn't up to the standard of Blizzard. But I guess we should all get used to lowered expectations these days...
11/04/2016 09:31 PMPosted by Shivera
rofl@you if you think this event is a net loss.

If you want to try and contradict facts, fine, but Blizzcon IS a net operational cost loss for Blizzard.

But I forgot, feelings > facts.

Are you honestly stating that Blizzard spent 6 million dollars hosting Blizzcon? If it were losing money year after year, Blizzard wouldn't be doing it.

Yes, in fact, I'm stating that they spent more than that.

http://kotaku.com/5362188/blizzcon-is-not-for-financial-gain

EDIT: Here's a Gamespot source.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/blizzard-incurs-substantial-loss-from-blizzcon/1100-6228656/

Which sources an interview here.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/blizzard-outlines-massive-effort-behind-world-of-warcraft/1100-6228615/

Not that I'd generally use Kotaku as a source because Kotaku is horrid, but you can fact check the article if you wish.

I bet you'd also argue that Sony doesn't sell consoles for half of what they cost to make because they do.

Here, I'll do the algebra for you: 175 x 35,000 = 6,125,000. 6 MILLION DOLLARS. And again, that doesn't factor in Virtual Tickets. And sure, they have to pay staff, the arena, etc. But $6 million?

I know how the multiplication operator works in 2 different numbering systems, but thanks for the quick math lesson in case I had forgotten. I bet you can't find multiplication over at ye old Khan Academy!

11/04/2016 09:36 PMPosted by Shivera
No man. They charged for the expansion. It was called RoS.

I'm not talking about RoS, I'm talking about a 3rd planned expansion that they just pieced out for free.

But that's ok, I won't blame you for not reading a wall of text.
My favourite franchise is dead or at least dying very fast. So sad... I wish the developers read the forums and reddit once in a while and KNOW THAT WE ARE UNHAPPY! :( Look at the other games! I mean Christ! Why are we always getting the short side of the stick? Waiting 10+ years for Diablo 3 to come out and the developers totally lost it. No one can save the game, Jay Wilson started the chaos, Josh Mosqueira tried to save the franchise but ultimately quit as well. Now we have no savior. Our hope was D4 and that was shattered as well. Please respond with a blog post about the future of diablo because this is ridiculous.
09/08/2016 07:00 PMPosted by Phatty
No, game is baked.

D3 won't have any more major content releases.

Outside of minor season changes, don't expect much more for the current title/generation.

I can see this as a new beginning where the team decides to put in new events that will give a breath of fresh air to the game. Instead of having the same old same old they will have events, think Marvel Heroes here.
I'm not talking about RoS, I'm talking about a 3rd planned expansion that they just pieced out for free

Kanai's Cube, removing the trial rifts Seasons sets, gems legendary, new legendary ....? Which one was supposed to be the 3rd expansion?

Following this logic, the patches that have now entered the Legion would be contents of a new expansion that they are generously throwing for free because you are adding content to the game.
Patch 7.2 where it will be possible to fly, it should be paid.
New dungeons, has to be paid. Anyone who has seen this, launch new contents for free, they have paid for expansion, if they want more content this expansion, advance in the game, something new, you have to pay. The blizzard have to return.

The fact the Necromancer was and is something that fit within the RoS and for some reason decided not to release. If they want to gain from Diablo, selling costumers, stash tabs, boost lvl up ... Anything ... now mean that launch something that would be perfectly releasable during the RoS's announcement as something that could be a new expansion and have to charge saying they have to gain, to me is unacceptable.
Yes, in fact, I'm stating that they spent more than that.

http://kotaku.com/5362188/blizzcon-is-not-for-financial-gain

Not that I'd generally use Kotaku as a source because Kotaku is horrid, but you can fact check the article if you wish.
2009 mate. Nice relevant citation. You also forgot to increase the cost of tickets as well as the admission rate of attendees (hint: both vastly increased). Plus they didn't disclose their virtual ticket take.

Oh, and you forgot to mention that they rent out less of the arena in subsequent years.

I bet you'd also argue that Sony doesn't sell consoles for half of what they cost to make because they do.
Source? Sony has stated that they sell the PS4 at a very small loss. Nowhere near a 50% loss. Plus they make tons of margin on controllers and PS Plus. Many sources cite that a Sony PS4 + 1 game + PS Plus = Sony in the black. 6 months after release at $399, Sony stated they were making money on the hardware alone (small, less than $20 per unit, but it was net positive). But hey, good strawman on a completely unrelated topic!

Either way - Necromancer can be a good thing. Asking D3 players to pay for it without delivering actual content the game sorely needs isn't a good thing. Spin it all you want, but Blizzard is in the wrong here.

I'd fork over $40 for a new expansion that introduces meaningful changes on the level of RoS in a heartbeat.

$15 for a new class and some vanity perks? No thanks.
11/04/2016 10:04 PMPosted by Chumbo
Kanai's Cube, removing the trial rifts Seasons sets, gems legendary, new legendary ....? Which one was supposed to be the 3rd expansion?

Kanai's cube. The QoL changes you mention were coming regardless.

Following this logic, the patches that have now entered the Legion would be contents of a new expansion that they are generously throwing for free because you are adding content to the game.

Oooh, logic.

But... you fell flat. Remember that little subscription fee Blizzard charges their users a month to play World of Warcraft? Yeah, that's where those funds come from.

Patch 7.2 where it will be possible to fly, it should be paid.
New dungeons, has to be paid. Anyone who has seen this, launch new contents for free, they have paid for expansion, if they want more content this expansion, advance in the game, something new, you have to pay. The blizzard have to return.

See above.

The fact the Necromancer was and is something that fit within the RoS and for some reason decided not to release. If they want to gain from Diablo, selling costumers, stash tabs, boost lvl up ... Anything ... now mean that launch something that would be perfectly releasable during the RoS's announcement as something that could be a new expansion and have to charge saying they have to gain, to me is unacceptable.

Do we still want to gloss over the fact that Blizzard DID in fact add a new class for RoS? Happens to be my favorite class in game, the Crusader.

As for the last part, IDK man, read one of the other posts I wrote because I'm starting to sound like a robot here.

All of these little QoL features are there to keep interest in the game and are budgeted into projected sales for future expansion content. They give you a little sample of what's in store to keep you interested then when they're ready to launch, they launch. That's all budgeted into the costs of developing the game.

When that goes south, like when Morhaime decided that Team 3 was going to piece out the expansion to restore faith in the franchise, they had to incur a loss and now that loss is being made up.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Protest with your wallet if you genuinely believe that's the only thing Blizzard cares about, but regardless of your personal feelings, development of the Necromancer DID cost Blizzard money to produce. They need to pay the voice actor (two of them) as well as all of the budget toward the art department for making the animations, models, spells, etc. New content doesn't just materialize out of the nether.

TL:DR most of what you've been getting over the last year was planned expansion content but you're getting it for free instead.
11/04/2016 12:17 PMPosted by Nevalistis

[url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/20324407"]Rekt[/url].

Yep. I'm guessing you probably are about now Nev.

If all you had up your sleeves was a pay for pack to add a class then why in the HELL did you idjits oversell the reveal? You generated rumors literally months ago of some all consuming reveal for Diablo. You have to admit--or maybe you don't and maybe that is what the problem is--that you don't have to admit to yourselves that what you had for a d3 reveal at the 20th Anniversary of Diablo was no more impressive or surprising than a pimple on a 15 year old acne sufferer's face.

I think we players and gamers finally get it. We finally understand that the Blizzard Entertainment that gave a !@#$ about its customers as something more than ATM machines is dead and gone and will not return. So perhaps you wont be too awfully surprised when we players finally say Ta Hell Wit Ya Blizz. There are other companies and other games and we will finally tell you to stick your games where the sun don't shine.

Maybe then (though I doubt it) you will finally understand that you dont get to produce schlock and tie a ribbon around it and call it good and we players will just accept that verbatim as gospel and fork out money for something that we could get elsewhere and for free and every bit as good.

NOW who is rekt?

They generated hype to get people to buy virtual tickets if there no expansion/ d4/d2hdr announced i suggest every diablo player who bought the virtual ticket start asking for refunds
people are so pissed many will not buy the necro pack and many are saying they are done with diablo. they are killing potential sales of the next Diablo title.

Now we can only hope blizzard goes bankrupt and Diablo is sold to a dev who will actually develop meaningful content on a regular basis.
11/04/2016 10:12 PMPosted by Shivera
$15 for a new class and some vanity perks? No thanks.

$15?

Mind sourcing that retail price? Oh wait...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/20324407

Q: How much will the pack cost?

A: We’re not ready to announce a price just yet. Stay tuned!

You're complaining about an arbitrary number that you've pulled out of NOWHERE.

2009 mate. Nice relevant citation. You also forgot to increase the cost of tickets as well as the admission rate of attendees (hint: both vastly increased). Plus they didn't disclose their virtual ticket take.

Oh, and you forgot to mention that they rent out less of the arena in subsequent years.

And?

It's very likely still true, it makes sense they would write off Blizzcon as an advertising expensive.

Source? Sony has stated that they sell the PS4 at a very small loss. Nowhere near a 50% loss. Plus they make tons of margin on controllers and PS Plus. Many sources cite that a Sony PS4 + 1 game + PS Plus = Sony in the black. 6 months after release at $399, Sony stated they were making money on the hardware alone (small, less than $20 per unit, but it was net positive). But hey, good strawman on a completely unrelated topic!

http://www.geek.com/games/sony-will-sell-every-ps4-at-a-loss-but-easily-recoup-it-in-games-ps-plus-sales-1571335/

That word straw man does not mean what what you think it means. I didn't twist what you said, in fact, you didn't say anything about it.

Also, it was still related, albeit tangentially because it's another example of why a company would produce something at a loss.

I also didn't specifically mention the PS4, I just said their consoles.

I'd fork over $40 for a new expansion that introduces meaningful changes on the level of RoS in a heartbeat.

Cool, but this is neither an expansion, nor is it $40.
You're complaining about an arbitrary number that you've pulled out of NOWHERE.
You're right. It could be $20. It could be $30. But I doubt it's less than $15. Comes with two stash tabs and two slots and a pet. Blizzard logic says that's at least $20. But wait! Act now and receive $5 off!

Barring any other announcements, price point is most likely $15. Anything more, and they should have done a full-blown expansion. Anything less, and it means they won't be generating any of this precious revenue you cite that they desperately need (because 20 million copies sold of D3 classic mean Blizzard has no money to develop) to save the game.

I don't know why you keep replying. Necromancer as announced can't be defended in the current state the game is in. Next up - Blizzard announces PvP Arena, but it'll cost you $40. Blizzard announces set balances, but it'll cost you $20! Oh, you like Quality of Life items? Those are $25 a pop.

A true expansion is what D3 needs. Not a reskinned Witch Doctor in the same RoS world we all play in.
At least this explain why Blizzard has been so reluctant to give players more stash space, and put some fairly harsh conditions to getting it.

They planned to make us pay for it a long time ago...
11/04/2016 04:28 PMPosted by Nevalistis
I'm sorry if my original post came off as antagonistic. That certainly wasn't the intent; more of a playful jab that's seated in a lot of bottled up excitement. We've been working on something incredible for quite some time that we've all been dying (pun mostly intended) to share with you all.

But you know, they say if you have to explain the joke, then it wasn't a very good joke. :( And that's on me; it's a very energetic, crazy, and hype-filled environment over here at the convention center, and I let it get the best of me. For that, you have my utmost apology.

I wish you along with blizzard would pull your heads from the deepest recesses of your anal cavities.
11/04/2016 12:17 PMPosted by Nevalistis
09/08/2016 06:43 PMPosted by clueso
BUT, what if we get a new class?

09/08/2016 07:00 PMPosted by Phatty
D3 won't have any more major content releases.

09/08/2016 07:59 PMPosted by Kukiri
Anything Diablo will be near nonexistent. All the wishful thinking in the world will not change that.

[url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/20324407"]Rekt[/url].

i really wish you could say that and really be behind some real big guns - the community wouldnt strike back against your joke, instead, would bow to your joke even if it was COMPLETELY rude (which it wasnt), that's how much we love diablo, we need some real change in diablo
im not sure why but i dont think that we will get the necro class at any time like we didnt get the pvp-arenas. just a feeling
11/04/2016 10:38 PMPosted by Shivera
You're right. It could be $20. It could be $30. But I doubt it's less than $15. Comes with two stash tabs and two slots and a pet. Blizzard logic says that's at least $20. But wait! Act now and receive $5 off!

Barring any other announcements, price point is most likely $15. Anything more, and they should have done a full-blown expansion.

Ok, I guess you're entitled to your prediction... but nonetheless, you're complaining about unjust prices based on your own prediction which makes NO sense whatsoever.

With that said though, complaining about even a fake price could help sway the price of the actual product when it goes live as you're letting Blizzard know up front that you personally feel that $15 is unreasonable.

At the end of the day though, you're still upset about a prediction... a prediction that YOU made which doesn't reflect anything but your own biases.

11/04/2016 10:38 PMPosted by Shivera
I don't know why you keep replying. Necromancer as announced can't be defended in the current state the game is in.

Sure, let's just not add anything at all to the game because you perceive the game to be garbage. I happen to share that opinion as I think D3 is rather large pile of refuse, but that doesn't mean that other people think the game is bad either.

Lastly, the Necromancer as announced sounds a hell of a lot like my favorite class from D2 (pretty much the only class I really played in D2) so I'm partially excited that I can come back after a break and experience something new. Doesn't mean I'll stick around much longer after hitting 70, but it'll still be a new experience.

Complaining about a price you don't even know is ridiculously stupid though.