How many Deaths to "DDos" this season alone?

Hardcore
This season I have died to supposed DDOS attacks five times so far. That is more than all other seasons combined, and I am only counting times where there were mass disconnects, It seems like this happens twice a week. How are we supposed to play this game on Hardcore if we are constantly dying from disconnect without warning?

Right now it is so hard to get a group together because no one wants to play DPS and lose a fully Caldessaned character because D/C's are so frequent.

The time it takes to level gems:

If you were to assume 100% success rate and that you are only doing gems to Caldessan on your main character + 3 DPS gems and you wanted this character to be competitive, as most of us do that play regularly. Then in order to just get your fully ancient geared character to a level where they can DPS for leaderboards position solo or group ->

16 Gems, 13 for Caldessans @ level 90

This means you have to run a minimum of 360 Greater Rifts @100% success paying for the empowered every time- and this is the best possible situation. The fastest groups will only get 1 GR key a minute. That means 6 hours nonstop of rifting just for the greater rift keys no breaks.

That is a lot of time played just simply for the leveling of the Caldessans, much less the very necessary bounty runs to reroll gear in order to get the desired stats.

Now lets take a look at how many D/C's there has been this season as recorded by my clan leader, who does, despite popular belief sleep from time to time.

"Aug 2 - We are currently investigating reports of login issues. Apologies for any inconvenience caused, and we hope to have this resolved soon!

Aug 2 - We are currently monitoring a DDOS attack against network providers which is affecting latency/connections to our games.

Aug 3 - We are currently investigating reports of login issues. Apologies for any inconvenience caused, and we hope to have this resolved soon.

Aug 3 - We're currently investigating an issue affecting our authentication servers, which may result in failed or slow login attempts.

Aug 4 - We are currently monitoring a DDOS attack against network providers which is affecting latency/connections to our games.

Aug 23 - We are currently monitoring a DDOS attack against network providers which is affecting latency/connections to our games.

Aug 24 - We are currently monitoring a DDOS attack against network providers which is affecting latency/connections to our games.

Aug 24 - We are currently investigating a new series of DDOS attacks against network providers, affecting latency/connections to our games/Bnet

Aug 24 - We are aware of an issue that is affecting our authentication servers, which may result in failed or slow login attempts.

Aug 30 - We are currently monitoring a DDOS attack against network providers which is affecting latency/connections to our games.

Aug 30 - We're currently investigating a new DDoS event that is impacting player connections. Updates to follow!

Aug 31 - We are currently monitoring a DDOS attack against network providers which is affecting latency/connections to our games.

Sept 9 - We're currently investigating an issue affecting our authentication servers, which may result in failed or slow login attempts.

Sept 13 - We're currently investigating an issue affecting our authentication servers, which may result in failed or slow login attempts.

Sept 16 - We're currently investigating an issue affecting our authentication servers, which may result in failed or slow login attempts.

Sept 18 - We're currently investigating an issue affecting our authentication servers, which may result in failed or slow login attempts.

Sept 18 - We are currently monitoring a DDOS attack against network providers which is affecting latency/connections to our games."

^ This is Blizzard's CS Twitter Account tweets after DC's this season.

I want to be clear, I am not saying Blizzard is to blame for the DDOS attacks against them, whether or not the groups doing the DDOS feel Blizzard has provoked them. What I will say though is that this part "attack against network providers" they keep repeating to us is malarkey.. yes I went there. 100% malarkey - A couple people in my clan that were disconnected had roommates or wives playing a Blizzard game, were not disconnected.

So if they are sitting on a computer next to a person and one gets DC'd, the other doesn't that means that it is not an attack on the ISP, but rather on Blizzard. If this isn't enough evidence for you to conclude that these groups were attacking Blizzard and not the ISPs then lets look at one of their Twitter pages

http://imgur.com/IUUij41

They aren't shy about what they do, which I believe is sort of the point.

Blizzard, like any large company is going to take steps to deflect liability, I think the general Blizz Customer understands this. (edit: continued next post)
If I didn't have 800+ paragon I would nut hardcore and move to softcore. Ive lost 2 characters to pushing GR's and 4 to DDOS.

Its getting to be a bit much.
This doesn't mean that Blizzard can't or shouldn't take steps to prevent or repair the damage done by these attacks.

Blizzard, I don't think anyone thought that you somehow made Quin's computer spontaneously combust, you don't create fire, (I mean if you do, then ignore this I'm sorry, were not worthy) but he was playing on your computer and it caught on fire. How did you resolve it then and why?

How is us playing on your servers, DDOS suddenly happens to your servers, not to our ISPs as shown above, why would you not restore our characters also?

Trust me if this was only the first time, the second time, or the third time, I wouldn't be sitting here writing this thread, I'd be doing what I did the first three times and getting my sorry butt a PL from my awesome clanmates, who I'm hoping will be willing to do so after I'm done writing this, even though they think its futile. All I'm asking is for you to please consider restoring our characters - I know that the Trouble Ticket department cannot. It is on you developers to consider this as an option or to tell us how you're going to minimize this issue in the future.

Thank you for your time,

Andrew Savage (Darth#1885)

http://imgur.com/1gdUBPf (today)

http://imgur.com/G8svPjs (Wednesday)
http://imgur.com/EAovgkb ( " )
09/18/2016 06:10 PMPosted by Generalpie
If I didn't have 800+ paragon I would nut hardcore and move to softcore. Ive lost 2 characters to pushing GR's and 4 to DDOS.

Its getting to be a bit much.

Couldnt agree more, I don't know what to do because I can't stand playing softcore (no risk no reward) anymore and this game is my main hobby.
I'm the one that usually says Softcore is that way but i'm getting tired of not dying legitimately. I've got 3 deaths so far this season all DDoS and latency. They might want to re-think their policy with Hardcore if the constant wave of attacks continues. It's starting to get ridiculous.
ya this season has been similar to PTR, but on PTR im counting on it happening and theres a 2000% drop rate
All I'm asking is for you to please consider restoring our characters
Andrew Savage (Darth#1885)

Wow, this place has really gone to hell.

I remember you complaining at the beginning of the year about losing characters to dc. If only there was a game mode that you could play that didn't require you to have a stable connection...

SC--------------------------------------------->
Endeavor.. you dont even play this game anymore..

Where's your clan gone?

You have absolutely no idea how bad the servers have been this season and apparently didnt choose to read the list I provided.

Maybe its best you !@#$ and stick to a subject you know about.. Grim Dawn.

This isnt something I'm complaining about this is something all of Hardcore is complaining about.
09/18/2016 06:04 PMPosted by Darth
This is Blizzard's CS Twitter Account tweets after DC's this season.

This is something I do not like. Why can they not have a notification in-game like when the system is shutting down for maintenance in 1 hour (or whatever)? We should not have to rely on social media to get warnings of system issues.

The ability is there when the msg for server shutdown is coming, why not let us know when other issues are going on. They (Blizz) take to the time to post to Twitter and not their own system is absurd.

For me, I have the 'luxury' of dual monitors however anybody that doesn't or didn't have twitter available is at a disadvantage. Sunday's early morning D\C didn't kill my char luckily however we need to be warned in game, not via a 3rd party site.
09/19/2016 09:17 AMPosted by CyberDoc
For me, I have the 'luxury' of dual monitors however anybody that doesn't or didn't have twitter available is at a disadvantage. Sunday's early morning D\C didn't kill my char luckily however we need to be warned in game, not via a 3rd party site.

I'm glad to hear none of your characters RIP'd from the recent attacks, and on a whole I agree with your sentiments. I do however, want to point out that Blizzard does respond very quickly to the attacks, I don't know that there is any way to anticipate them, but as I had someone pointing out to me the timeline was something like-

DDOS Happens (5 clanmates die / 16 online)
1 minute later PoodleCorp tweets
3 minutes later BlizzardCS tweets, they update Blizz Launcher to say trouble with authentication servers.

Now again it would be nice if there was an in game message like Scheduled Maintenance, but it does appear they do react as quickly as can be expected to an attack. Now to be perfectly honest I don't have the knowledge on how all of this works to say whether or not it could be prevented, I have heard of DDOS protection, and I am not sure if that is even an option for them.

I think as many of us know, and as Blizzard's own CS department told me when I sent in a trouble ticket about it.. Most likely nothing will be done, but the developers do have the ability to try to undo some of the damages, as they did with Quin, as they have also done mass revive in the past when similar attacks have happened. This was usually in response to an absurd amount of threads/posts on the subject from players upset about it, unfortunately, the times have changed from when they did that sort of thing.. There's not enough people still playing to generate that kind of attention nor do they have as many developers working on Diablo. Unfortunately for us this game doesn't generate a whole lot of revenue, sadly, if there is any chance it may rest with the fact that several players from WoW or even entire servers were taken down there.

But hey I dont know, either way thank you for the reply
Even if they could post a simple note like 'Authentication server issue, could affect in game playability' from 'SYSTEM' would be so much better than we have now. I did see BNet post last evening, which drove me to SC. If had been in game when this went up, I would have been totally blind and perhaps lost another toon to D\C.

My point is, the messaging system for in-game server posts exist. We should not have to rely on a twitter feed to get up to the minute updates.

I'm not at all knowledgeable of the programming of millions (or perhaps billions) of lines of code that this game uses, not even a fraction of 1%. I My guess (or worse, my assumption) is it should be doable to advise us in-game.

I do feel bad for all that lost their HC toon(s) this past month (or longer), not the way HC was meant for us. I think the restoration of Quin's character publicly was a mistake as this shows the masses this can be undone and raises false hope. They should have done it offline and made him sign a 'keep quiet' waiver (or loose the toon if brought public) and be done with it.
09/19/2016 08:51 AMPosted by Darth
Endeavor.. you dont even play this game anymore..

Where's your clan gone?

You have absolutely no idea how bad the servers have been this season and apparently didnt choose to read the list I provided.

Maybe its best you !@#$ and stick to a subject you know about.. Grim Dawn.

This isnt something I'm complaining about this is something all of Hardcore is complaining about.

Cry more. I actually logged in last night just to take you off my FL.

You knew the drill when you signed up for HC, and you of all people should know better than to post up a whiny thread about losing your character to something outside of your control. If the devs weren't going to fix it 4 years ago, or 3 years ago, or 2 years ago, or last year, when there were a LOT more people crying about it, why would they listen to your one complaint?

news flash: some people in HC have complained about DC since DAY 1. Learn to deal with it, or leave, those are the only 2 options that people have faced for 4.5 years, and that's the only option you face, too. There is no in between, the devs can't or won't fix this issue.
09/19/2016 10:10 AMPosted by Darth
the developers do have the ability to try to undo some of the damages, as they did with Quin,

Wait, they did a rololback just for Quin? THAT is lame.
Endeavor, what the hell do you know about whats going on this season, you haven't logged on this season.. which pretty much dictates the level of concern with whether or not you open up a free spot on my full friends list.

I'm not complaining just because I died five times this season to disconnects, I'm also complaining because five of my clan died including me just on this last DDoS, because this is way beyond the normal DC's that are expected in HC and Blizzard is sitting here trying to say that it was the ISP's being attacked to deflect any blame so they don't have to take responsibility.

It's so bad its to the point no one wants to DPS, if you are farming, you aren't doing it with your main and that's how its been.

You know B, you would know this and you would be shutting that big TX mouth of yours if you had last as much GG gear and Caldessans as several players have this season. You don't even come on, there's never been this severity of DC's or DDOS's ever during the history of Diablo 3, so you have no clue what you're talking about. I expect to die to D/C's a couple times a season, but I usually expect those to be on my end by majority, this isnt the PTR, which is where I had complained about the first time.. Yeah, maybe you were right then, it's PTR its to be expected, but I was upset and you know why I vent here.. its cause it SUCKS A LOT to LOSE DAYS OF YOUR LIFE in PLAYTIME and it not be your fault, and then for it to happen routinely is ridiculous.

But the only crap that makes it worse is having some giant pos that you once called a friend (that within the last week two weeks defended in conversations about) who doesn't play the game anymore come on here and tell you you're being a coward because you have the nerve to complain about the only activity you really care about in your life being constantly messed with, when Blizzard does have the ability to mend it or prevent future occurrences.. when Blizzard has this season revived a known streamer.

Did it ever occur to you that starting a dialogue about it might be the only way that they would take action, even preventative? Or are you saying that this is how the game should be? But again, you have no perspective, Go ask the people in HC rift runs, or HC greater rifts how many of them have lost chars in the last week.

Did you come in here for an argument or just to abuse?

Or do you think that you have some stake in this conversation just because you have an opinion.. Come back here when you've lost a few hundred hours of playtime.

Seriously though, don't ever message me again for any reason.
09/19/2016 03:07 PMPosted by Darth
Did you come in here for an argument or just to abuse?

Is it bad that this reminded me of the argument clinic? It's probably bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

09/19/2016 03:07 PMPosted by Darth
Endeavor, what the hell do you know about whats going on this season, you haven't logged on this season..

Actually I have almost 200 paragon, no DC's yet. :)

I know that DC's suck, and it certainly sounds like they're happening a bit more now than in the recent past, but were you around in 2012? Instead of constant ddos, we had "server hiccups" almost nonstop it seemed. It was brutal. People would find something, or buy something, that was clearly bis for hardcore, then they would either play with it and die or stuff it on a mule, or maybe sell it because they knew that they couldn't actually USE it due to server instability.

Server connection for d3 hardcore has been mostly poor since the start of the game. I'm really glad that you're still enjoying the game, but I really think that you have never learned the first lesson of hardcore: your character is dead the moment you make him. Accept it, or you're going to continue beating your head against the wall in frustration and get zero answers, just like the rest of us who have been playing since the beginning.

fyi: go back and read what I wrote. No personal insults there. You are taking this a bit too hard man, let it go. Perhaps you really would be better off in SC, I know a bunch of guys from the barb forums who play exclusively SC and they're not bad people at all. You could even play SC and just delete your character if you die a legit death.
I'm starting to get jealous here because you have outdone yourself on becoming one of the most hated posters on this forum Endeavor.

That right belonged to me!
09/20/2016 09:01 AMPosted by SubRosa
I'm starting to get jealous here because you have outdone yourself on becoming one of the most hated posters on this forum Endeavor.

That right belonged to me!

lol

That's only because most of the true hardcore players have moved on to other games over the years. I'm less intense than people like Sam Chowders, Haxudon, Acrimony, Carpe99diem, SilentKiller, etc etc etc.

And it is true that you have no high horse to sit on regarding this issue, as you recently complained about constant DC's on your terrible connection until MissCheetah pointed out to you that your connection did not meet the minimum recommended standards...
Im taking it hard because it's happening regularly enough that it is becoming nearly impossible to put a decent character together.. if you ever want to solo for fun. Of course we play this game enough to know that this stuff happens once in a while no matter what.. sure

So you dont play your main except for pushes, you play your farming character to get your gems up.. This is a bit of a compromise and it's rough for anyone who gets rusty on a particular playstyle. There's a lot of things people including myself do regularly in order to prevent or minimize DC deaths- We even watch twitter accounts on hacker websites .. Our clan message is generally a server status update--

Doing all of those things still isn't enough... I dont see why they cant save char every 30 mins instead of twice a day and just rollback DDoS on policy, regardless if it was an attack against them or ISP happening to be close to where Blizz ( I dont understand this stuff )... This gives no one an advantage or the ability to just DC themselves to save their character, not unless they DDoS'd themselves which then would be facing legal recourse if caught. Seems kinda extravagant ...

I mean to be very clear Endeavor...

There are ways to reset your gear lost, yourself. Keep that in mind being so avidly against any res for any reason. That's not the way I play though..

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/4yhnth/quin69s_wd_officially_raised_from_the_dead/

They also literally just removed Service Status section of threads..

I mean really? If it werent for MVP's like MissCheetah and helpful GM's like Omrakos we'd basically be getting the middle finger from Blizz.
Playing HC in a game that's entirely online is well...brave.

Blizz should take a look at GGG's disconnect mechanic and learn a thing or two.
Suggest Blizzard adopt disconnect policy that Path of Exile has. If for some reason you disconnect, you are instantly disconnected from that D3 game. Yes, players will abuse it but what can we do -- quit playing hardcore or Blizzard give us a break?