Quality of life improvements

General Discussion
Not sure what the best way to suggest/request changes from Blizzard but wanted to at least float some ideas and see what people think. And what other ideas people have. To be clear, I'm not talking about stuff like "new maps" or "new monsters" or even tweaks to items. I'm thinking instead about minor gripes with the UI or systems in the game that could be made easier or more user friendly. Ive got a few to start;

1. Add a timer to the Rift Progress Bar on standard rifts. I found a number of times this season I was trying to beat the timed achievements and I was forced to resort to a stop watch trying to figure out if I could make it. Just add a little timer to the progress bar so we can see easily that we're at 2min 47 secs so we're not gonna make the 3 min timer.

2. Add the extra legs (slayer, conqueror etc) to the season journey drop down immediately. I'd like to be able to view my progress on all the legs not just my current one. You already allow us to see the first couple, just open up the whole lot.

3. This might be optimistic, but add damage/toughness/healing tooltip comparisons for the enchanter on items so we can tell whether rerolling 4.5 crit chance is better/worse than 43% crit damage (or whatever stats we're rerolling).

Any thoughts on these three? And of course further suggestions would be interesting.
I would settle for just letting me scale the skill bar to be smaller
10/11/2016 10:28 PMPosted by Carnacki
1. Add a timer to the Rift Progress Bar on standard rifts. I found a number of times this season I was trying to beat the timed achievements and I was forced to resort to a stop watch trying to figure out if I could make it. Just add a little timer to the progress bar so we can see easily that we're at 2min 47 secs so we're not gonna make the 3 min timer.

Great suggestion OP, I too found the timed rifts to be a bit of a guessing game.
Some of my suggestions are

1. The minimap shows only a round circle for your allies and circle with a blue dot for you. It would be nice if each person is represented on the mini map with different hue/color
Reason: While doing 4 mans there were many times in the chaos where I could not see the DPS in the mob. The minimap does not clearly show who is where either.

2. It would be good to know how many stacks of pools of reflection you have.

3. This could be a tall request but adding the option to talk to team members would be really great. I play lots of public games and I cant use team speak/discord with them. Jut planting a flag is not enough. There are times when you need to skip mobs, drag elites elsewhere. Atleast simple voice commands or battle texts are good enough to tell your intent.

4. Cut scenes and the dramatic entrances can be removed from adventure mode. It looked cool in story mode but in adventure mode when you want to get your bounty done and go the for next one, the cut scenes and death montage (Diablo and Malthael) add those extra seconds which is not needed.
1) .. consider adding the ability for all characters to keep their own keybindings ... typically I move skills around so that they fall on existing keybinds, but when I have an autocast skill, I have to change them .. then change it back when I move to a different character

2) .. consider adding the ability for the greater-rift oblisk to remember what GR my current character has run and NOT assume they are feeling frisky enough to run the GR my best geared toon just ran .. I waste keys trying to find my level again

3) .. consider fixing the GR final score\time\reward screen to be more relevant\meaningful to the character that just finished the rift and NOT just show me that my best geared toon did better on a higher rift

4) .. consider adding a symbol to the gear icons that designates ANCIENT (similar to the useless green star for sets and orange star for legendaries .. which is already covered by the background color) .. toggleable in options

5) .. consider adding a search toggle to the stash so I can find INT-STR-DEX gear .. though I'll prolly have to change my stash to be sorted this way eventually (2 tabs for each)

6) .. consider giving me the option to remove that BANNER from my camp screen .. just bring it back when grouping ... And\or reducing needless clutter in general

7) .. <this space for rent>
Not sure what the best way to suggest/request changes from Blizzard

For D3 you did exactly the right thing - a post on the General forum during the work week when the Community Managers are at work. They are in charge of rounding up feedback for the Devs.

-Rift Timer: This has been asked for for quite some time. The timer needs to keep running though after the RG is killed so people realize the rift time is based on turning in the quest to Oreck.

-Yep they need to show the whole Seasons Journey up front. Although there is a website for that https://d3resource.com/journey/

-Enchanter tooltip comparison would be nice. I would also like the option to enchant for a different spec than my character. I hate having to hop just to re-roll follower gear.

10/12/2016 09:40 AMPosted by ClawViper
3. This could be a tall request but adding the option to talk to team members would be really great. I play lots of public games and I cant use team speak/discord with them. Jut planting a flag is not enough. There are times when you need to skip mobs, drag elites elsewhere. Atleast simple voice commands or battle texts are good enough to tell your intent.

That is not a tall request at all and is something they are working on. My version of the Blizzard Launcher lets me voice talk to anyone on my fiends list and they can drag their friends into the chat channel as well. It is only integrated into OW, but they plan to do more with other games in the future. You can read the FAQ for the Alpha Client here http://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20742854827?page=1

Reading the rest of the suggestions I tend to agree with most of them. Great ideas and great that people are keeping the focus on QoL issues vs major game balance or design topics that would warrant separate threads.
Any thoughts on these three?
Since those are actual QoL requests and not make my Grift runs easier requests, I gave you a thumbs up. Especially for number 1. That timer is needed and should have been implemented at the same time that timed events were introduced. The devs love to stop thinking half way through the process of adding stuff.
1) Followers are not bound to character rather are shared between your character list in that mode. HC\SC\Seasons modes of course do not share followers and equipment between modes.

2) Perhaps allow 'some' legendary gems to work with follower. Would suggest not allow stacking (one on char and one from follower), gem would only affect follower power. One that comes to mind is the lightning gem. Add to the Thunderfury and Wyrdward ring on Templar would provide a good boost to the follower and possibly buff solo players.
the timer and the season journey view should both have been in 4 seasons ago.
I would really love it if we can get our pets to pick up crafting materials/deaths breath along with the gold they normally do, I was really happy when they made it so that picking up one mat picked up all of them, but was just hoping for an eventual toggle option for it.
1. When I look at my stash in whatever town, it now shows two tabs at a time instead of one (depending on whether you've achieved the 2nd slot or not.

2. Auto Sort by types, class, rarity.

3. More options for followers. Could be talents, more items that they're capable of wearing or maybe follower-specific weapons.

4. Party vote to close a Greater Rift.

5. More money:more enhancements. The more money you put into a GR, the more enhancements to a gem you can do. (I'm sure a limit somewhere would be good.)
I've only recently returned to D3, but one thing that has been driving me nuts for the past few weeks...

When pressing M to bring up the map... If in town, then the Act Level popping up is fine. If I'm out-n-about or in a rift/grift, make the default zoom level the current map level and not Act Level.

Unless I missed a setting somewhere (please correct me if I have), it's just annoying that whenever I'm outside of town I have to switch zoom levels after bringing up the map. When you're in a timed rift and found yourself at a loop or dead end, it would be nice to be able to quickly tap M twice to see where you missed a turn and know how to get back to it quickly without having the added wasted time of changing zoom levels.
10/12/2016 12:47 PMPosted by DenverRalphy
I've only recently returned to D3, but one thing that has been driving me nuts for the past few weeks...

When pressing M to bring up the map... If in town, then the Act Level popping up is fine. If I'm out-n-about or in a rift/grift, make the default zoom level the current map level and not Act Level.

Unless I missed a setting somewhere (please correct me if I have), it's just annoying that whenever I'm outside of town I have to switch zoom levels after bringing up the map. When you're in a timed rift and found yourself at a loop or dead end, it would be nice to be able to quickly tap M twice to see where you missed a turn and know how to get back to it quickly without having the added wasted time of changing zoom levels.
Press TAB key to open dungeon map.
Some great suggestions there. A couple I'd been thinking about and a few that hadn't occurred to me but having read them would be terrific, built in voice chat or messages for example (no more needing vent/discord/ts/etc).

Probably the thing I'd like to see most from the other people's suggestions is colour coding (or some other option) for other players on the mini map. That'd make life a lot easier when one of them yells out "I've got a rare pack and need help" and you have no idea which one they are on the map.

I also love the idea of scaling the *whole* UI, not just the skills bar. I run at 4k res and being able to adjust it to a better size would be much appreciated.

@MissCheetah: Excellent. Hopefully the ideas being presented get put forward for discussion then.
I would like to add another QoL suggestion. This suggestion is not new and has been repeatedly discussed.

Make Legacy of Nightmares to gain half the set's benefits when an item is non-ancient. (Discussion about a buff needs further consideration and testing cause it is multiclass set)
The "problem" is that even if one item is non-ancient your build is weak. If you only have 6 ancient items, then it is not functioning. At least you could get half the reward to continue implementing.

Right now, If someone is playing a Season just for the Stash, it is very difficult to implement a LoN Build.
If someone is going for a long Season Journey, he/she may be able to implement a LoN Build.
For Non-Season characters this is a lot different.

But, for all these cases, a change in the set, would make the implementation of a LoN possibly and smoothly progressed.
Was trying to avoid requests about changing items. That sparks a whole theorycrafting discussion about whether something is good/bad and the devs intent in creating it. I was really trying to keep this about usability and interface not gameplay mechanics.

Here are a couple more;

1. Sorting/filtering xmogs. I'd like to see the xmog lists sorted so that the newest items appear at the top rather than the end. It might also be nice if you had a couple toggles (tickboxes) to easily show/hide items based on quality. ie: Rare, Legendary, Set.

2. "Sticky" panels - if you have the details open on your character or follower then next time you reopen the character sheet it should open with the details pane displayed too. Same logic applies to most panels, eg: the "Possible Properties" panel at the enchanter shouldn't hide itself all the time.

3. More buttons - there are a number of options that (as far as I can tell) are only available via a hotkey. Like viewing our own profile or looking at the leaderboards. How about adding extra buttons for some of these? I think there used to be a profile button on the character selection menu but I can't find it now. Either that or add them to somewhere logical, like profiles could be part of the achievements dialog (the tabs could become Career, Season, Statistics).

4. All Achievement type toasts should have a link in chat. At the moment when a "regular" achievement pops up like "Historian of Westmarch" it's added to the chat log so you can click on it and show the achievement dialog. Season achievements (raise 3 gems to 55) don't seem to be. I've had a couple achievements pop up while in combat and been unable to review them afterwards to see what they were because they didn't get a chat log entry.

5. There is a chat log button that cycles through the various channels. How about making it a drop down where we can pick the channel rather than having to click through six channels one at a time? Or have both (some people may prefer that approach)? Or an option to show the various chat channels as tabs?

5a. Still on chat, might be wishful thinking, but allow us to display a second chat frame to the right hand side of the screen. That way we could show say, combat messages in the one of the left and clan chat on the one to the right.
I love the simple and logical requests. I say, Basics. We want our build, we want to go in and fight. If we want to change to a Rift from GR, we should be able to easy. And we just want the important information on our screens that are essential to game play. Go in, have fun, hanging out and working together with mates. Bliss.

Mind you, we need the variety to keep us from getting bored. Meaning more viable builds and more incentive to do things that are there but are never done. Make them all equally efficient, or close to it. But not overdo it and make the current cool things obsolete. Just incrementally bring up the stuff that isn't used until it starts being used. One of the easiest things to do without screwing everything else up.
1 small QoL please.

make the MAP button in game CLICKABLE.

M is literally the only key ive found that you have to hit on the keyboard, and cannot just click a symbol somewhere on the screen.

also make all 1-4 clicks target centered on your hero or the closest enemy. nothing worse than spamming an ability that doesnt even need a target, and it wont work because its trying to cast at the mouse cursor which is off screen to click.
I would LOVE to see the following changed to a currency, (like Blood Shards)instead of physical items:

-- GRift keys
-- Infernal Machine keys
-- Reusable Parts/Arcane Dust/Veiled Crystals/Death's Breath/Forgotten Souls/Bounty Materials.

As far as gems goes, there are too many varieties to turn these into currency as well, so I'm fine with these remaining as physical items.
Here's another one, I've just been one shot randomly by the Savage Behemoth yet again so it's dear to my heart. When we get killed please tell us in the chat log the damage that killed us. What was the killing blow? Was it a crit? How much was it? Was it a particular damage type (physical/fire/lightning/etc)?

It's particularly galling being slammed by the Savage Behemoth and being reduced from 100% to 80% health one time and literally one shot 100% health the next with no idea why. Same applies to some of the random deaths during other gameplay. Full health one second dead the next and no idea why :(