Can't wait for next D3 expansion announcement

General Discussion
Expansion or Loot 3.0
10/21/2016 07:35 AMPosted by Honiidu
So for the 20th anniversary celebration for Diablo, the panel is holding an in-depth Q&A session to discuss the contents and features headed to DIII to simply tell folks they are in maintenance mode doing minor bug fixes here and there, and maybe we might get the odd cosmetic upgrades? That's a hell of a strategy for a multi-billion dollar publicly traded gaming company, and awesome for public relations too nonetheless.

There's a ton of features that team 3 has been working on that hasn't been fully implemented in the game. You can see vestigial remnants of the code in the datamines each patch. They could very well be ready to finally release something that was in development all of last year.

They were planning on a 3rd expansion for this game, but instead, they decided to piece out that expansion and give those features to us for free. For example, Kanai's Cube was originally an expansion feature that was given to us.

Anyway, I think you're severely misunderstanding what the maintenance cycle actually is. You can still release small features while in maintenance. In D3's case that can be items, cosmetics, or side features. They could very well be ready to release a feature they were working on last year when the team was still together.

All I am saying is DO NOT expect an Expansion or anything large to come out of this panel. It is very likely not going to happen.
It's good to remember that actually none of us actually knows anything. There have been articles about scrapped expansion and rumours of D4 and D2HD but all of these rumours have risen from pure speculation and we have taken them as fact. Usually we believe in the rumor we would like to happen.

Only half a month left until Blizzcon. After that we don't have to speculate for expansion anymore. There's no way they would announce it after Blizzcon anymore.

That's something I would like to see: a great expansion pack released soon after Blizzcon.
10/20/2016 11:33 AMPosted by Drothvader
10/20/2016 10:13 AMPosted by Province
It's all the bitter D2 fanboys that just want to see this game die because it's not "dark enough" and blah blah blah, so they spread a bunch of hype about a D4 announcement or the remakes. D3 has a lot of untapped potential ahead of it still.

D3 has had a 4+ year lifespan already as well as one expansion that is over 2 years old.

Even without the context of knowing that the D3 team has drastically downsized and most of the developers have left to WoW / Overwatch, D3 doesn't have much more potential than it already has.

Look, I wanted D3 to succeed too, but development of the game is pretty much over, this game is now in the maintenance phase of its life cycle and I seriously doubt Blizzard is going to revitalize Team 3.

Hyping yourselves up for some big new amazing thing is just going to result in you getting angry and bitter when it doesn't happen. Either love the game for the state it's in now or let it go. If you like D3, don't let me stop you from liking it. If you don't like it though, you're not going to get any "untapped potential" out of it.

I've moved on...after playing D3 almost every day since they removed the AH, I left when NMS came out. With that fiasco over, I could come back but I don't really see a reason to. I saw that Grim Dawn was on sale for 12 bucks so bought that and love it.

I come here every once in a while to see if anything has changed. I expect nothing from the Diablo franchise anymore. I'd love for an expansion or for D4 to happen, but I'm so jaded right now with games, I've stopped caring so much.
10/21/2016 09:08 AMPosted by Ruined
There have been articles about scrapped expansion and rumours of D4 and D2HD but all of these rumours have risen from pure speculation and we have taken them as fact. Usually we believe in the rumor we would like to happen.

The D2HD Rumor was based on the fact that Blizzard hired a small time to revitalize their classic games so they can run on Windows 10. These are merely just client changes to work with the new Windows API and literally nothing to do with remaking these games.

As for a new expansion, yes, that was already confirmed to be scrapped because Wyatt said directly (I can't remember if this was a personal conversation at Blizzcon or an announcement, so forgive me) that we're getting chunks of the expansion for free because they wanted to restore faith in the Diablo franchise.

As for D4, these rumors are baseless and not because of something that was leaked or datamined. This is just because people HOPE that D4 would come eventually.

Everything else has either come to fruition in another form or has been debunked.
Not holding my breath too much but I feel something big could be on the horizon. I know they skipped Blizzcon one year because they didn't have enough new content coming out to justify having it.

They usually have some big announcements each year so I wouldn't be suprised if it had to do with the Diablo Universe.
It is plausible they worked up some kind of DLC chapter relating to the anniversary or they could be going the PoE route with MTX packs.
Voip chat was gonna be the announcement but someone let it slip so they went ahead and pushed it.
10/21/2016 11:52 AMPosted by Vendetta
Voip chat was gonna be the announcement but someone let it slip so they went ahead and pushed it.

But voice chat has been in the BDA Alpha for like a year...

So if that's the announcement then it really just is an infrastructure change.
I won't hold out hopes, but an expansion or 4th game would be nice. I've loved this franchise too much to quit now.

Yes, Vanilla 3 was a bit of a dumpster fire, but RoS turned it around (for me, at least)
Hmm.. they've moved Diablo 4 hype topics into games etc forum but d3 exp hypes may stay here. Does it mean something or not ;)
10/20/2016 09:58 AMPosted by Honiidu
Do people realize Blizzard Activision is a publicly traded company? They have all the interests in this world to improve in Return On Equity, Revenue and Profit generation, Corporate Governance and accountability to shareholders. It's competitive out there, and the Diablo series is a cash cow for this company -- they have all the incentive and motivation to improve this game and continue this franchise. Blizzard could easily sell 15 million copies at $40-$50 a pop with another D3 expansion. Not sure why some folks can't simply read what's infront of them when it's written across their foreheads.

It's all the bitter D2 fanboys that just want to see this game die because it's not "dark enough" and blah blah blah, so they spread a bunch of hype about a D4 announcement or the remakes. D3 has a lot of untapped potential ahead of it still.

yeah more goblins and stronger items for higher GR and xp/hour aka more mainstat...
10/21/2016 09:48 AMPosted by Drothvader
The D2HD Rumor was based on the fact that Blizzard hired a small time to revitalize their classic games so they can run on Windows 10. These are merely just client changes to work with the new Windows API and literally nothing to do with remaking these games.

As for a new expansion, yes, that was already confirmed to be scrapped because Wyatt said directly (I can't remember if this was a personal conversation at Blizzcon or an announcement, so forgive me) that we're getting chunks of the expansion for free because they wanted to restore faith in the Diablo franchise.

It was stated that features intended for a second expansion were rolled out in content patches, partly to restore faith, but that comment never explicitly stated ( or even inferred ) that this impacted the development of a second expansion. That wasn't true of all the changes either, and was as much a reaction to Path of Exile's content model as it was anything else.

As for D4, these rumors are baseless and not because of something that was leaked or datamined. This is just because people HOPE that D4 would come eventually.

No, those rumours aren't baseless by any stretch of the imagination. They are built on top of job listings on Blizzard's website, about a dozen of them, that explicitly mentioned an "unannounced project set in the Diablo universe". That wording is ambiguous, but the rumours of both a D3 expansion and/or Diablo 4 are built in part on credible information provided by Blizzard that explicitly states that they're working on an unannounced project set in the Diablo universe". These job listings disappeared shortly before Blizzcon 2016 hype began.

As for this stuff about the D3 team being "wound down", this was based on a "leak" that has turned out to be as wrong as it was right. On one hand, we've had senior devs and designers moved from Diablo 3 ( one of them left Blizzard outright ), but on the other we've had a dozen ( more than the number we know have moved on ) or so new hires brought in, and a new Game Director appointed. We know that D3 content has been pretty stagnant of late, but we don't know why. Everyone assumes it's because every D3 dev has been moved to WoW or Overwatch... but there's no evidence to support that claim, just supposition and negativity. Also, you forget Blizzard's culture of arrogance and self-righteousness. Given how poorly Diablo 3 was received by gamers in general, I imagine they've been scheming their little capitalist socks off in order to bring it back from that, kicking and screaming if they have to. It's Blizzard; it's what they do.

Beyond that, there're many odd things happening around Diablo 3 specifically that suggests something is happening beyond maintenance mode.
Since Josh left the game (along with the bulk of the team), I don't see how any of you still believe that an expansion is in the works - let alone an announcement at BlizzCon. We're getting one of three options: a) nothing (probable scenario), b) the announcement of Diablo IV, or c) the announcement of a Diablo MMO-RPG (I would flip out, but I doubt that it'll happen).
I bet we will get D1 and D2 so they are compatible with systems today and nothing else. Maybe a minor patch for D3
10/20/2016 08:54 AMPosted by Province
Getting pumped

LMAO for what? There isn't going to be another expansion or a D4
10/22/2016 03:02 AMPosted by Epicurus
Everyone assumes it's because every D3 dev has been moved to WoW or Overwatch... but there's no evidence to support that claim, just supposition and negativity.

I'm just not even going to bother sourcing anything because it always devolves into a "My uncle works at Nintendo" sort of conversation, but I will say this.

My source of information isn't just random speculation.

Besides, common sense dictates that you don't start a new major project after most of your senior staff has moved on to other projects. D3 is basically at the end of its life cycle at this point.

Anyway, enjoy the hype, but I'm sure you will all just be super disappointed.
it's because every D3 dev has been moved to WoW

Because they always were WoW devs. Not gonna be missed.

If its a choice between no devs and wow devs I would take no devs 100% of the time.
All bad things that happened to d3 are because of mentality of bringing diablo to your average mmo's lowest denominator. Their one and only good point is that they only obey orders, it's not their will to make this game so bad. It was needed to be done to ensure income, therefore, all ideas are coming and approved by directors and upper management, not the devs.

In the end the guys responsible for game not being so good are the guys with most money out of it - devs are not guilty, they just HAD to do it for a living. You can't disobey an order to make diablo with boobs. To make a RMAH. If you don't do it you'll be fired and next wow dev in line takes your place.
Something big for this franchise and hopefully for this game will happen at Blizzcon. If there is nothing new for this game or the franchise then this game will die pretty quickly afterwards. To keep this game and franchise going Blizz has to improve this game along with whatever new project that they want us to buy. The improvements to this game could be an expansion or it could be a huge patch. It has to be something that is really good enough to keep us playing until their new project hits the shelves. Otherwise I can foresee their new project not selling nearly as well as this game did at release.
I like how OP claims to have the "inside scoop" then his reasoning is things like "the website change". Hate to break it to you there's nothing "inside" about that "scoop"