The Darkening of tristram

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
I played it on a PTR and I really liked it. Graphics looks cool, skills and heroes are awesome and it's so much longer than a regular rift (16 levels!!!). Feels like Diablo 1, but better because all skills and mechanics are from Diablo 3. I rate it solid 2/10 and the only point is for the music.
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I just wanted to say that I just completed the fun Darkening Of Tristram but I wasn't able to sell anything.

That's it...I wasn't allowed to sell anything...nothing.

I was allowed to "salvage" though.
so, forgive me if this id a dumb question or already answered. is this a limited event or am i going to beable to load it and play later? My internet limits me to what i can do online and id hope i can load it on my my system while at work and or sleeping then play it.
Apparently one guy in his spare time designed this, is honestly that true?
12/10/2016 08:42 AMPosted by ThanDrake
so, forgive me if this id a dumb question or already answered. is this a limited event or am i going to beable to load it and play later? My internet limits me to what i can do online and id hope i can load it on my my system while at work and or sleeping then play it.

It's in D3, so online only, sorry.
It's in D3, so online only, sorry.[/quote]

well that's really unfair. nice to see Blizzard cares about ALL their fans.
12/10/2016 08:46 AMPosted by Ghostpos
Apparently one guy in his spare time designed this, is honestly that true?

No, that is not true, it is an exaggeration.

Several team members and producers worked on it on paid time. A few people were really into the project though so finished off a few touches on their own. The example given was that the User Interface Graphics were not going to be updated for the event but someone decided to do the retro look on their own time. So no, it was not one person and no, it was not just in their spare time. They got paid for most of it.

This is one of those cases where you can't please the internet.
"Devs and team have no passion and don't care".
Individuals get so into a project they do some extras on their own time.
"OMG Activision is evil and makes people work without pay they obviously don't care about staff"

O.o Do you want devs who care and enjoy what they do or do you want wage slaves who check out at 5pm?

12/10/2016 08:42 AMPosted by ThanDrake

Diablo 3 has always been an online only game. However, you can set the Launcher to download the patch at a time that is best for you. You have the month of January to do the nostalgia event. Hopefully sometime during that month you will find the time to do it.
i know the PC version is and always was, but what about the PS4/Xbone players?
12/10/2016 10:31 AMPosted by ThanDrake
i know the PC version is and always was, but what about the PS4/Xbone players?

They can play offline but I assume that the event (assuming they get it) will end the next time they connect to the web after the deadline has passed. I have never played console games though so am only guessing. Maybe a Console player can chime in on how Blizz handles events on there like the March Kanai event.
My thoughts is that it's just some graphics and sounds, thats it.
Thanks for clarification @MissCheetah
11/05/2016 03:54 AMPosted by mrtheoden
well from what I've read, it's gonna be done in retro graphics and sound. No thank you.

The music and sound are damn fine. The shadows and light radius are also super cool and I would like to see them included as options.

The retarded (the literal meaning of the word, not the offensive or derogatory) movement and pixel filter however are terrible. Those are super annoying. It ruins the whole thing for me.
11/05/2016 03:15 AMPosted by Sethious
I'm simply disappointed that we've been sitting here playing the same expansion for 2yrs. With some added zones, that brought me in for maybe another week. But after waiting this long all we get is an event that lasts a month and a paid for character class. No expansion or news of D4....sure glad their treating Diablo as it's black sheep. While everything else gets expansion after expansion and/or new content constantly. So glad Overwatch, heroes of the storm, and hearthstone gets more time then Diablo......damn shame

but Diablo 2 has only had one expansion and very little added since it came out... So no new content for that last...you know...15 years? Don't see people complain about lack of new content there.

Thing is, when they do add new content like new zones or tiles people !@#$% cause it's not 'endgame'. Go do more than grifts.
They can keep it....
Seriously a hobby modder with passion could do it much better in three days...
For me, it's absolutely garbage. Its just a BAD long Rift.

Also avaible for one month ? Why ? Because its better everyone forget it exists in the game because its that bad ?

Yep, i'm still pissed about that .....even as free content i don't want this.
It is rather disappointing that D3 gets no expansions, no new areas, nothing. Kinda makes you wonder if you should go back to Skyrim or something that stimulates the enthusiasm. Makes me wonder if the Blizzard employees have just settled in for the same old, same old, and don't really want to put anything new up for us in D3.

I'm just weary of running the same old rifts and bounties, & getting the same gear we can't use. Does it offend them to ask for a new expansion, or a couple of new areas? WOW gets a new expansion every year and a 1/2 it seems, and new things all of the time. Not trying to be a killjoy, just wishing the D3 community would be brought in out of the cold, and given a new idea on the game.
To touch on something that no one else has - the one month thing.

It is an anniversary nostalgia thing. It's released in the release month(I believe) of D1.

It has the same grainy pixelated graphics of D1. Same movement type as D1. Very similar to D2.

I am looking forward to it, personally. Not a big user of the PTR so I can't comment on it much beyond this.
I like it a lot, a few item updates with quest lore updates would make it really super. Pixel filter needs a toggle.

That dude who did this on his free time is a genius! This is the coolest feature ever. I played D1 lots, this is a killer flashback.
While I agree that the game needs another expansion and content aside from just adding another class and a few timed events, I enjoyed the DoT in ptr albeit being very short as well as easy even with rolling a new toon for the bonus. And I think it's great that they're adding on content for consoles as well, but the game is otherwise stagnant. Logging in and seeing 2 other players available for greater rifts is a bit disheartening. Even RagnarokOnline still has more players and that game is dead.
Diablo 3 stomped on my hopes and dreams and this is the only thing that's had me excited to login since I crushed the D3 campaign on release day.

I 'member when. Do you?
I wish they got rid of retro look, just looks broken and is an eye strain.