Uh guys, there's plenty of build diversity.

General Discussion
1 2 3 14 Next
You don't have to use the Set Pieces to have fun and make a fun build.

You can run around with a Frenzy Barbarian who just pummels things into the ground with weapons. You can play a WD and play a pet build. You can do whatever you want in the sun.

Just lower the difficulty.

You don't need to play at the highest difficulty. That's where the sets shine and where you kind of want to know what someone is going to be able to do just by what class they are. However, in a lower difficulty, one that's just hard enough to be hard, you can play whatever you want.

Stop being a bunch of try-hards demanding Blizzard do things for you that are already available. I don't like the idea of set pieces either, but you can still very easily play what you want on one hand, and then have a farming gear/build for when you feel like getting more items.
Highly Rated
People shouldn't have to use a specific build to compete at a high level. I think you don't understand the meaning of diversity.
11/06/2016 10:09 AMPosted by Mykindos
People shouldn't have to use a specific build to compete at a high level. I think you don't understand the meaning of diversity.

Tell me what game doesn't have a high level meta?

No matter what, they're'll be a lack of diversity in the top because in a game of numbers, +3 is always going to be better than +2. If Crusader has a build that out performs every other build, even by a tiny margin, that build is going to be seen as "the only one that can compete".

You guys are asking Blizzard to solve a problem no one has ever been able to solve since gaming.
Yeah, just like there's plenty of diversity in my !@#$!
Highly Rated
There is a massive difference between meta and being completely nonviable.

Let me know how your Frenzy Barb does in Gr 80+
Highly Rated
11/06/2016 10:21 AMPosted by hucka
you are either totally clueless or an idiot

please enlighten the rest of us which of those it is

If you don't understand what I said, I think you should be asking yourself that question.
11/06/2016 10:17 AMPosted by Omniwang
GR80+ refers to a specific difficulty and is the precise point the original poster was trying to make... you can still have fun with a less optimized build, if you lower the difficulty (e.g. that means playing a lower level GR) to something that is more viable for your current build.

That's all they're saying.

Yes, you need to play certain builds to play the higher difficulties, but if you want to toy around with other builds, there are options available to do so.
11/06/2016 10:26 AMPosted by Cryme
GR80+ refers to a specific difficulty and is the precise point the original poster was trying to make... you can still have fun with a less optimized build, if you lower the difficulty (e.g. that means playing a lower level GR) to something that is more viable for your current build.

That's all they're saying.

Yes, you need to play certain builds to play the higher difficulties, but if you want to toy around with other builds, there are options available to do so.

They are only options if you want to play for fun, why can't we have fun and competitive at the same time?
11/06/2016 10:24 AMPosted by Mykindos
11/06/2016 10:21 AMPosted by hucka
...you are either totally clueless or an idiot

please enlighten the rest of us which of those it is

If you don't understand what I said, I think you should be asking yourself that question.

Leave him be, it's not nice to pick on the mentally challenged.
There is a massive difference between meta and being completely nonviable.

Thorns Frenzy Barb has done 90s
11/06/2016 10:08 AMPosted by Slarg232
You don't have to use the Set Pieces to have fun and make a fun build.

if you don't have to pay any attention to the numerical strength of your character and you just run around and have fun....why have numbers at all?
11/06/2016 10:13 AMPosted by Slarg232

No matter what, they're'll be a lack of diversity in the top because in a game of numbers, +3 is always going to be better than +2. If Crusader has a build that out performs every other build, even by a tiny margin, that build is going to be seen as "the only one that can compete".

You guys are asking Blizzard to solve a problem no one has ever been able to solve since gaming.

It's not a "tiny margin". Every game has a meta. But how far is the meta from the second best or the third best? Only in D3 and other bad games is the gap so vast.
11/06/2016 10:32 AMPosted by Whitebeard

Thorns Frenzy Barb has done 90s

You can run around with a Frenzy Barbarian who just pummels things into the ground with weapons.
If you don't care at all about actual performance of a build, sure.

Most people however enjoy performing in the highest difficulty they can. Finding out that your snowflake build actually sucks and isn't viable on high rifts is pretty discouraging to most when it comes to sticking with it and fine tuning it.

If you're one of those people who genuinely doesn't care, then good for you. But you shouldn't assume that everyone else would be content to play that way.

Except it has been solved.

Deep balance is very possible.
You have no idea what build diversity means. Plain and simple. Diversity at low difficulties does not matter. What matters is endgame diversity. T13 speed, high Grift. running t1 for your entire d3 season is not fun, nor does it mean the game has diverse builds.
When certain builds aren't even viable to complete the seasonal challenges, you know there's a problem.

"a tiny margin" is one thing. Games like WoW have tiny margins. You can play BM hunter, or MM hunter, and be mostly fine in all situations. You can play Arcane or Fire mage, ect. You can switch talents and lose a couple thousand dps. That's a tiny margin. D3 balance issues aren't a "tiny margin" We're talking 10+ grift difficulties in good situations. That's a HUGE margin. The vast majority of skills are just not viable at all, period. If there was a DPS meter in this game, this discussion wouldn't even be happening, because we could see how bad all these skills were.
The thing is this is a loot hunting game. While fun builds are fun, rewards are much more plentiful at higher levels. So running fun builds becomes counter productive to a main part of the game. Even though LoN gives some variety you are still sort of pigeon holed to some builds, or just plain limited by what ancient gear you have available.