2.4.3 64 Bit Client

Mac Technical Support
Will Mac users benefit from this or just Windows ?
Bump
push....
Hey all,

In our patch notes we did make a callout for a new 64 bit client for Windows. As of now this is only for Windows operating systems and was built with directX in mind. We don't have any information whether or not a similar client is being developed for Mac OS.
Thanks for the reply @Drakuloth
Min requirement for D3 is 10.9.5.

Macs have been 64 bit since 2012 with the inroduction of Mountain Lion 10.8.

Ironic huh ?
11/16/2016 06:44 PMPosted by onimaru
Min requirement for D3 is 10.9.5.

Macs have been 64 bit since 2012 with the inroduction of Mountain Lion 10.8.

Ironic huh ?

Yeah it is. I am not someone who has had many problems with the game (in terms of all of the disgruntlement that seems to go on the forums) but the Mac bastich step-child syndrome is something that has bothered me for quite some time. We still have to deal with the Apple/Blizzard glitch on startup that causes the launch to take for freakin' ever. Overwatch wasn't given a Mac version and now this. It's just a wee bit frustrating to say the least.
The 64 bit for windows was a last minute change that likely didn't give mac side much time to prepare. It's something I know they want to do eventually but it's something that will probably not come at the same time. It does open door to metal on Diablo 3, eventually.

One thing you all have to realize, mac could not go 64 bit before windows did. That's always been the fact. When wow went 64 bit mac was weeks behind. When SC2 did, heroes, etc mac was always weeks behind. Mac is ported from the PC code after all. Never forget that. It is never a matter of "oh look windows got something first, must be bad mac support". No. in fact it's been mac that's been HELD BACK by windows for so long. Diablo 3 catering to 32 bit windows and XP users has held D3 on mac back for years. :\
Just for the record, Macs have been fully 64-bit since early 2008 when they transitioned to proper 64-bit EFI (their hardware has been 64-bit since 2006 outside of the Mac Mini/iMac line). It's always been the Windows development that has dictated how the Mac side gets its upgrades. :(
11/19/2016 09:37 PMPosted by MysticalOS
Diablo 3 catering to 32 bit windows and XP users has held D3 on mac back for years. :\

Just for the record, Macs have been fully 64-bit since early 2008. :(

So in other words, the SMART way to have done this would have been to design it first for the Mac and then port it to Windows when it became available. ;)
So since we're already at 64 bit, how about just giving us that cool new mouse cursor? Then we should all be on the same page, no?
Any new information? Metal implementation is definitely my most wanted addition right now.
Hey everyone! I wanted to provide an update on this topic.

The Mac team is looking into adding a 64-bit client and utilizing Metal in future patches. It's too early to tell when that will happen but stay tuned, I'll provide additional updates as they become available.
@Byromern: Thanks for the info, any news if D3 will go 64-bit-only in the future or there aren't any such plans?
12/09/2016 05:41 AMPosted by Skelos
@Byromern: Thanks for the info, any news if D3 will go 64-bit-only in the future or there aren't any such plans?

Maybe if they release an expansion or something but I highly doubt it.
12/08/2016 04:44 PMPosted by Byromern

The Mac team is looking into adding a 64-bit client and utilizing Metal in future patches. It's too early to tell when that will happen but stay tuned, I'll provide additional updates as they become available.

Thank you!

Just moving to 64-bit alone would alleviate the 3.5 GB RAM crash that the 32-bit clients on both platforms suffer. That by itself is worth it, as more RAM = the ability to cache more assets. Metal can come when the Mac team has ironed out how to deal with Metal in the WoW client (which serves as a learning experience for their future Metal endeavors).

12/09/2016 06:19 AMPosted by Ghostpos
Maybe if they release an expansion or something but I highly doubt it.

If the Mac version of D3 gets a 64-bit client, that will be the only supported client from then on since a) all supported Macs are 64-bit, and all supported OS X versions are 64-bit only. It's a performance downgrade to use the 32-bit client vs. 64-bit client. And who wants that?

This is great news! So glad to hear it.
12/22/2016 09:41 PMPosted by blindenvy

This is great news! So glad to hear it.

Looking forward to get get a client that is utilizing Metal!
I'm also excited about the possibility of Metal since it should be a performance boost. Since Apple has basically abandoned high-end hardware (Polaris 10 in the MBP? really?) despite its thirst for MOAR PIXELS in notebook and desktop displays. It'll help those of us with actual Macs and not Hackintoshes to get better performance. Apple has basically abandoned the Mac platform and only gives meager hardware updates when the user base has had enough. It's frustrating because I really prefer macOS to Windows. :(