Diablo III - The Successful Failure

General Discussion
04/21/2018 07:49 PMPosted by Orrion
04/21/2018 07:11 PMPosted by TOPCommander

True :(

Seriously, you bumped yourself from a year and a half ago?

/slap.

Thinking the same thing. You just tried to flog your point again.

TC it's time to move on fella.
04/21/2018 07:27 PMPosted by TOPCommander
I find the Diablo "setting" very unique (gothic medieval hopeless world that is overrun by creatures from the biblical hell), and no one does it as good as D1 and D2. It's a shame D3 failed to be "Diablo".

Well, only your enemies are based on Christianity on diablo. Druids for example are based on celtic paganism.
On D2 i can have bone spirit, bone spear, bone wall, bone prison, decrepify, amplify damage, summon fire golem, summon clay golem, iron maiden, corpse explosion... On my skill bar, on D3 i can have only 5 skills and a resource generator.

In D2 when I case Bone Spear there is one set outcome for the entire game.

In D3 I can modify skills in multiple ways to transform it into something unique. I can then further transform the skill beyond boring skill+1 to do even more exciting things with it via legendary items. Some sets will then take this another step further.

So yes, you might ONLY have 5 skills but each of those skills are vastly more interesting in terms of game play.

To make matters worse, the developers decided to implement WOW's leveling system into Diablo 3, because that is all they knew and had experience with. But a WOW-leveling scheme is misplaced in a game like Diablo.

I don't understand this one at all.
D2 pigeon holes you into forced builds.
D3 does the same.

I don't know about you but my Crusader build doesn't change daily or even weekly. I have him running one set concept and an alternate speed variant. He's a unique character. It's in fact easier to keep him as a unique character than to create a single Crusader who runs 10 unique builds and organize all the gear sets to make them all work. Effectively...my D3 Crusader feels like a static build character just like a D2 character would.

While leveling may not give you that precious +2% Cold damage you'd get after ages in grinding within Diablo 2. Your gear gradually improves after ages in grinding in D3 and so you see your stats improve with time. So D2 gets a flat +2% Cold...well perhaps this week I get an Ancient or Primal Ancient that finally boosts my damage stats by 5%. It's not all that different.

04/21/2018 07:46 PMPosted by L0rdV1ct0r
Well said. On D2 see someone lv 90+ legit is pretty rare. I an lv 86 on this ladder and consider myself "high level", there are few people above lv 90. Everyone is max level on D3.

To illustrate how bad the situation of progression on D3 is immagine the following situation. A master necro talking to his appendices

"Don't waste your time trying to improve your skills, only hold a sharp, heavy and big axe, only it by some unknown reason can make all of your animated servants and bone skills stronger and never drop the heavy axe otherwise your golem and skeleton army will become unable to kill the weakest imp"
Ordan, a Master necromancer to his disciples in D3.

The same applies to a Monk. Only the weapon(that magically disappear during animations) makes the difference between a novice monk and an "strong" monk.

Seeing a player with all Primal Ancients equipped in Diablo 3 is pretty rare. There are goals to powering up your characters that are reasonably equivalent between both games that feel special.

If Primal Ancients are too extreme a comparison then you can use Greater Rift Level clear capability as a measuring stick of ones progress vs other players.

I'll concede the lore bit to you because that's a personal taste thing. In a world of magic and wonder I can easily accept that a magical big axe could conceivably exist to improve your ability to control skeletons. It's not that far of a stretch from some random orb helping me call down meteors in D2. Its a magical object on your person...does it really matter what shape it takes? Well to you it does but to me that's not what makes or breaks a video game. Its a nitpick.

I suppose you could be referring to the fact that you had inherit magical abilities in D2 and could play the game naked. While that's true and its a cool tidbit...I don't feel that defines the game in any meaningful way. This is at its core a loot hunt game so to define it by playing it without loot at all is just kind of silly at the end of the day. It's something to do when you've grown tired of playing the game normally. You can do similar things in D3 for what its worth just not play 100% naked like in D2.
04/21/2018 08:39 PMPosted by babinro
In D3 I can modify skills in multiple ways to transform it into something unique. I can then further transform the skill beyond boring skill+1 to do even more exciting things with it via legendary items. Some sets will then take this another step further.

Unique? What is the difference of a bone spear casted by Rathma himself and a novice necro who learned how to trow bone spear today? Nothing. Only the weapon that they use determines the strength of the spell.

I agree that skills should become more "deadly" not only on damage. Players should be able to increase projectile speed, casting time, number of projectiles etc too.

And legendary items don't simple give +skill items. Give resistances, damage goes to mana, allows some classes to cast certain spells, i very unique builds on D2 due items. For example, bow bone necro ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2joJwUP_jE ) chain lighting barb ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-CtpZ-M7v4 )

Set items allows some cool auras, allows the user to transform into a vampire, and do a lot of good things, not only +5000000000000% WD.

D2 pigeon holes you into forced builds.
D3 does the same.

No, is not. My bone necro sacrificated some DSP for revived monsters to be used as distraction and a little DPS dealer. Worked pretty well and few people do that.

While leveling may not give you that precious +2% Cold damage you'd get after ages in grinding within Diablo 2. Your gear gradually improves after ages in grinding in D3 and so you see your stats improve with time. So D2 gets a flat +2% Cold...well perhaps this week I get an Ancient or Primal Ancient that finally boosts my damage stats by 5%. It's not all that different.

First, leveling don't give resistances on D2.
Second, your stats barely improve on D3. What really improves is your gear.
Third, d2 is a game that a little % increased damage is manful while in D3 damage is more inflated than Zimbabue currency.

In a world of magic and wonder I can easily accept that a magical big axe could conceivably exist to improve your ability to control skeletons. It's not that far of a stretch from some random orb helping me call down meteors in D2. Its a magical object on your person...does it really matter what shape it takes? Well to you it does but to me that's not what makes or breaks a video game. Its a nitpick.

That is not my unique critique; is that the character means nothing. An sorceress learn fireball spell today, can train all day, can try everything that she can to improve his fireball. Will never affect the spell power, only the weapon that she is using affects.

Character customization and progression is a important part of RPG's. D3 in this aspect is more similar to cod than to any RPG/aRPG. Can you name one more """"aRPG"""" that characters get skills/abilities in a ultra linear way and can't improve in any skill?

. This is at its core a loot hunt game so to define it by playing it without loot at

I partially agree. Sure, Diablo is a "loot hunt" game, but still a RPG.

It is true. But do you prefer people who create multiple posts and keep creating threads without reading the existing ones? You are blaming someone who has a deep understanding of d3 and d2, and who works hard to create comprehensive, and spot-on comments. You should be more concerned about the tons of useless repetitive threads that people write in less than a minute.

Besides, the let down of d3 is so big, that this type of threads should be top of the list pinned.
04/22/2018 02:13 AMPosted by Olbat

It is true. But do you prefer people who create multiple posts and keep creating threads without reading the existing ones? You are blaming someone who has a deep understanding of d3 and d2, and who works hard to create comprehensive, and spot-on comments. You should be more concerned about the tons of useless repetitive threads that people write in less than a minute.

Besides, the let down of d3 is so big, that this type of threads should be top of the list pinned.

When the existing one is a year and a half old? Make a new one. Multiple posts on the same topic are only a problem they’re all on the front page, meaning people just aren’t paying attention.

This is him plugging himself. Screw that.

"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit: Folks, please be mindful of the date on a thread and do not resurrect/bump it if it is fairly old. If you wish provide feedback on a topic or participate in a discussion create your own or find one that is recent. This thread will now be locked."