Please hire more Diablo Developers

General Discussion
Highly Rated
I mean real Diablo developers... not WoW developers.

Developers who played Diablo 2 and will actually play Diablo 3.

Diablo isn't supposed to be some dumbed down version of WoW.

You're sitting on a gold mine and trying to find silver. Cmon guys.

Edit: Look, just give me 1 week to talk face to with the devs and steer them in the right direction. I know you're probably working on D4 already but D3 still has life in it, let us help you fix it. D4 won't sell nearly as well with people seeing how D3 turned out.
11/16/2016 05:05 PMPosted by frogg626
I mean real Diablo developers... not WoW developers.

Developers who played Diablo 2 and will actually play Diablo 3.

Diablo isn't supposed to be some dumbed down version of WoW.

You're sitting on a gold mine and trying to find silver. Cmon guys.

more like sitting on a gold mine but find poop
Hiring more requires a bigger budget.
A bigger budget requires bigger cash flow.
Cash flow requires consumers to purchase something.

There is nothing to purchase except for more copies of the game until necro shows up next year.

At the end of the day, the community cries about spending any money on the game. The community then wants all this content and change but refuse to support any cash flow initiatives.

Chicken and egg situation.
Hiring more developers will not help much if the direction of the game is the same as now.

Sets % damage needs to go and a new head needs to make it a priority to balanced all Legs for a start.

People are finding it boring because its the same stale builds determined by sets. Once they allow player base to create their own builds it would be a more vibrant and fun game.
11/16/2016 05:21 PMPosted by Phatty

There is nothing to purchase except for more copies of the game until necro shows up next year.

At the end of the day, the community cries about spending any money on the game. The community then wants all this content and change but refuse to support any cash flow initiatives.

typical fanboy....just one dumb excuse after another to keep the game mediocre...

"oh blizz needs more money and the community wont give any more money.... that's why the game sucks......

yup..

A lot of what you post makes sense Phatty but this is just flat out inaccurate. Many of us would have no problem spending more on the game for more content/improvements etc.

Besides that we know money is not the issue with these people. They simply refuse to believe what they are told time and time again. The game the way it currently plays is just not fun. Since when is the Diablo Franchise about grinding rifts till you puke?

Cosmetics
PoE is FREE and they manage to do just fine off of cosmetics alone.

Diablo 3 has amazing graphics, so many people would throw cash at blizzard to deck out their stunning characters. If only there was a Diablo world worth having stunning characters in.

It's really baffling how little effort Blizzard is putting into D3.
(except for the graphics team, you guys are killing it)
Why don't you guys team up and make a indie game then? Oh that's why. You rather come to the forums and complain everyday and not be proactive.
11/16/2016 06:06 PMPosted by Warrior
Why don't you guys team up and make a indie game then? Oh that's why. You rather come to the forums and complain everyday and not be proactive.

The irony
11/16/2016 05:39 PMPosted by Shurgosa

typical fanboy....just one dumb excuse after another to keep the game mediocre...

"oh blizz needs more money and the community wont give any more money.... that's why the game sucks......

yup..

I'm anything but a fanboy.

This is called reality.

Blizzard won't develop something unless there is going to be a good chance there will be a profit from it.

So why add more resources to a game that doesn't generate income -> you don't.
11/16/2016 05:48 PMPosted by evok

A lot of what you post makes sense Phatty but this is just flat out inaccurate. Many of us would have no problem spending more on the game for more content/improvements etc.

Besides that we know money is not the issue with these people. They simply refuse to believe what they are told time and time again. The game the way it currently plays is just not fun. Since when is the Diablo Franchise about grinding rifts till you puke?

Ewok, I also would love to spend money. The thing is - this isn't about past performance. I'm quite certain D4 _WILL_ be made. The issue will be how they will monetize it.

In regards to current content, I'm quite certain they did not bother going with a full expansion because they would not be able to make a profit or may even loose money on it.

D3 in it's current lifecycle and due to the damage and loss of players it has already suffered probably couldn't fund it's own expo. The cost of creating the physical merchandise, distributing it, hiring the actors / development of the cinematics, and then the code/development to link together the content to make a new act/etc would have been just not worth it.

So they decided to let it go for free instead of being spiteful and not releasing it at all.

I believe this is what has happened with the 2 areas that we have gotten for free, along with 2 more that we will be getting, etc. We could have had enough for an act and power creep shift with ancients/kanai's cube.
11/16/2016 07:38 PMPosted by Phatty

yup..

This is called reality.

Blizzard won't develop something unless there is going to be a good chance there will be a profit from it.

The Necromancer says hi. Oh look, Blizzard is adding something that generates more income! And knowing how Blizzard monetized StarCraft 2 with not just 1, but 3 Commanders to buy, I would not be surprised if Diablo 3 gets the same treatment.
11/16/2016 07:38 PMPosted by Phatty

yup..

This is called reality.

best arguments sofar;
-a vast pool of players are enjoying the game, unhappy posters are a minorty
<span class="truncated">...</span>

This is called reality.

The Necromancer says hi. Oh look, Blizzard is adding something that generates more income! And knowing how Blizzard monetized StarCraft 2 with not just 1, but 3 Commanders to buy, I would not be surprised if Diablo 3 gets the same treatment.

Yeah, I don't think you actually read my original post.

There are so many people here dead set against buying necro. I generally don't think it is the majority just a vocal minority. If it's not well received, well it'll probably end up taking precedence on monetization for both additional d3 content (which will most likely be none) and D4 - may end up being subscription based or something along those lines.

If it is well received -> microtransactions may open up -> more classes to come. If it hits critical mass, maybe another expo before D4?

Again, this appears to be a chicken / egg situation.

Players feel that we've already ponied up the cash.

Blizzard Business side wants to see the cash opportunity up front before developing something new.

Players don't want to spend more before getting more.

Blizzard Business side doesn't want to make more before knowing it will get more money.

The developers -> stuck in the middle.
11/16/2016 07:47 PMPosted by Phatty

Blizzard Business side wants to see the cash opportunity up front before developing something new.

Blizzard Business side doesn't want to make more before knowing it will get more money.

If ~$30M in sales (+continued D2 sales) hasn't given them the cash to develop everything they need through to the next release I call either mismanagement or, no wait that's it.
11/16/2016 08:20 PMPosted by Headsoup
11/16/2016 07:47 PMPosted by Phatty

If ~$30M in sales (+continued D2 sales) hasn't given them the cash to develop everything they need through to the next release I call either mismanagement or, no wait that's it.

Again, it's not what they made. It's about what they can make.

As a player you look at it backwards compared to the business that looks forwards.

That's the inherent disconnect.
-i really want a disclaimer with any next Diablo-extension or Diablo-game that guarantees that the devs will stick with a pure PvE approach

-and also a disclaimer, that guarantees that everything that 'must be gained in-game via skill-related challenges-contest, will be buyable at an in-game store
11/16/2016 08:37 PMPosted by RUNtoFUN
-i really want a disclaimer with any next Diablo-extension or Diablo-game that guarantees that the devs will stick with a pure PvE approach

-and also a disclaimer, that guarantees that everything that 'must be gained in-game via skill-related challenges-contest, will be buyable at an in-game store

We already had that crap in the game, and it was rightfully removed. Actually, your suggestion is even worse, since Blizzard themselves selling stuff would encourage them even more to hamstring the loot system way worse than what they did with the stupid auction houses.

Selling your carrot on a stick isn't precisely a bright idea in a game that's already lumping due to the glaring lack of diversity. Do you people even think before posting garbage like this, seriously?
11/16/2016 08:31 PMPosted by Phatty

As a player you look at it backwards compared to the business that looks forwards.

Back to your previous quote:

What Blizzard made was D1 &D2. Then D3. At the point this released Blizzard should have been in a position to make whatever they want from there.

The only way they're not, given the massive brand strength of Diablo and huge sales success of D3 is mismanagement and/or poor design vision and execution.
11/16/2016 08:31 PMPosted by Phatty

Back to your previous quote:

What Blizzard made was D1 &D2. Then D3. At the point this released Blizzard should have been in a position to make whatever they want from there.

The only way they're not, given the massive sales success of D3 is mismanagement and/or poor design vision and execution.

Again, are we arguing D4's development? I'm quite certain they will develop it, if they haven't started already.

I think it's a matter of having more D3 developer's right now, which is how I interpreted the OP.

Being in a position to make whatever they want is _NOT_ the case.

Blizzard is a huge publicly traded company with some dividends. They have multiple lines of business to manage.

There is no "bank of Diablo" where all the profits are stored for use at a later time.

This is about making a product that will sell AND make profit.

It's not about how much money they made in the past. It's how they will continue the trend of making money to stay open and make new income.

Just to be clear, no one here knows what the R&D will be for D4. So asking for more without knowing doesn't make any sense. (which is why I assume this is about current D3).

And lastly, more does not always mean better.