They made a WoW movie How about Diablo

Movies, Books, and TV
The D2 cinematic lines are fantastic, but those aren't enough for a movie.
The majority of the game is killing and char building which doesn't translate to film.
They have to make all kinds of "filler story" to meet the timeline for a feature length film and it would be just awful and probably completely irrelevant to Diablo.

As much as I would love for Big D to hit the Big Screen, I just can't see it working out. Sad reality.
12/01/2016 08:29 PMPosted by Maximilian
12/01/2016 08:28 PMPosted by Gameo
Warcraft movie was atrocious, I expect nothing less than atrocious if they attempt a Diablo movie.

Anyway, 99% of the time games don't translate to movies very well.

If you need evidence of this, watch anything by Uwe Boll.

I had to Google this producer.
And all his cinematography on Imdb got awefull rating! :-o
Though I have o say some seems... interesting.. gotta watch:
In the Name of the King: The Last Job
12/01/2016 08:30 PMPosted by Gameo
Let's name some game movies that came out alright..
I can think of one off top my head, Silent Hill.... nothing else immediately comes to mind.

Tomb Raider wasn't bad
Maybe if based just on the Diablo universe and not an attempt to represent the actual game in movie format. And for the sake of our sanity, do NOT try to make it a "real world" equivalent. No one wants a Super Mario Bros. movie.
12/01/2016 08:29 PMPosted by Maximilian
Warcraft movie was atrocious, I expect nothing less than atrocious if they attempt a Diablo movie.

If you need evidence of this, watch anything by Uwe Boll.
Max, you took the words right out of my mouth.

The highly anticipated Dungeons and Dragons movie was such an utter fiasco, I vowed never to watch another game-movie. Something about the Wayans kid speaking in ebonics in the 12th century just didn't sit right with me...
12/01/2016 10:49 PMPosted by CyLaNt
Resident Evil series is pretty good

NO it wasn't. How anyone can say that is unfathomable to me.

The first movie was alright, but the rest of them were god awful. Freaking dragon ball tier crap.
A Diablo movie could be epic.....look at the story as it unfolded....nice and dark...just need the right director that will make the mythos stand on it's own and not thy to "capitalize" on trends....

Same with the Star Craft universe ....rich history would make an awesome movie.....just keep it true to itself and the masses would come.
12/02/2016 03:16 PMPosted by BRIGADE
A Diablo movie could be epic.....look at the story as it unfolded....nice and dark...just need the right director that will make the mythos stand on it's own and not thy to "capitalize" on trends....

Same with the Star Craft universe ....rich history would make an awesome movie.....just keep it true to itself and the masses would come.

If they ever do another movie, it might be best to keep it animated. They have gotten really good at that over the years.
12/02/2016 03:18 PMPosted by MissCheetah

If they ever do another movie, it might be best to keep it animated. They have gotten really good at that over the years.

I'd sure watch an extension of D2's cinematics as a full feature film, granted it stayed the same exact tone.
12/01/2016 07:54 PMPosted by Unknown
(Edited) I think it would be appealing. I would like to see it off the original lore.
I didn't like the World of Warcraft movie.
Comments?

Unknown

WoW is a cashcow for Blizzard, what does Diablo have? Oh wait... Don't tell...
After what they did to D3 'narrative' and 'atmosphere' and even 'story', I'm not watching a Diablo movie not even if they pay me.

If we were still in the early 2000's then hell yes.
This franchise is in enough disarray. How about fixt the game first.
If it was a Beowulf(2007) style movie I think it could have potential...

I think if a movie is well directed or has a decent story that it doesn't really matter what format they use. Look at Avatar, it was the same CGI/real mix of characters but it was massively successful because anything James Cameron touches is well executed.

-Some of my favorite movies have terrible special effects or some cheesiness (look at any vintage Arnold Schwarzenegger movie) but they work because other aspects like story or directing are well done.
12/04/2016 07:22 AMPosted by Madix

I think if a movie is well directed or has a decent story that it doesn't really matter what format they use. Look at Avatar, it was the same CGI/real mix of characters but it was massively successful because anything James Cameron touches is well executed.

-Some of my favorite movies have terrible special effects or some cheesiness (look at any vintage Arnold Schwarzenegger movie) but they work because other aspects like story or directing are well done.

I have not seen the WoW movie and know it is based on lore that takes place prior to the game storyline. Many people I know liked it (and some of course did not) but one complaint that was fairly common was that it felt "off" because they tried to make it live action vs animated. If you watch the Overwatch trailers and video shorts you can see how much better Blizzard has gotten about telling stories via that medium...like Pixar levels.

Another option, now that I think about it, could be to take the lore and break it up into shorts (chapters) that they release over time. That would be a very neat project and if animated they can easily keep it dark, scary, gritty, etc. I would certainly watch that. Personally I would want to start way back in the early days before Nephalim existed and see the story unfold from there.

Correction:

99% of the time, movie directors screw up movies based on games because they've got bloated egos and think that they have to change everything to match some random scripts based on whatever silly thing they have wanted to try for years, but not found a place for elsewhere -- or events based on their daily lives they just absolutely HAVE TO include in the movie, or series, no matter how unrelated or unfitting.

Like the Dungeons and Dragons movie.

I swear.
Why the bloody hell is it impossible to just adapt a story to the screen, without adding half a billion outdated tropes?
Is it too much to ask the producer and screenwriters to play the game for 200 hours before creating the movie?
12/04/2016 08:55 AMPosted by Frostraven

Correction:

99% of the time, movie directors screw up movies based on games because they've got bloated egos and think that they have to change everything to match some random scripts based on whatever silly thing they have wanted to try for years, but not found a place for elsewhere -- or events based on their daily lives they just absolutely HAVE TO include in the movie, or series, no matter how unrelated or unfitting.

Like the Dungeons and Dragons movie.

I swear.
Why the bloody hell is it impossible to just adapt a story to the screen, without adding half a billion outdated tropes?
Is it too much to ask the producer and screenwriters to play the game for 200 hours before creating the movie?

Way I see it is that you can't take 30 or so hours of gameplay and directly translate it into a movie, gameplay =/= movie material so they end up having to create all this irrelevant filler story nonsense that makes no sense half the time.
Like I posted before, Silent Hill did a pretty good job at keeping the story line in tact for the most part along with the tone of the game...

How would you make a movie about Diablo anyway without adding a bunch of filler?
2 hours of a dude killing demons and talking to a couple town folk while hiding excessive amounts of items in a magical bag? lol

That would be a horrible movie
It would end up being on Mystery Science Theater 3000.. I wouldn't be surprised if the warcraft movie ends up being on the new episodes they are making for that.
Uwe Boll would give us 2 hours of Deckard Cain telling stories.
Peter Jackson would make the lead character an elf named Legolas.
Disney would turn it into a musical. (The Butcher enters singing "Fresh Meat", the hero uses a bow to shoot a banana into his mouth - having never tasted fruit before, the song morphs from "Fresh Meat" to "Fresh Fruit", and as the hero continues his journey, the cut scene is the Butcher sitting in the corner eating bananas, grapes, etc.)

Eh, I liked the WoW movie. It was super campy and really doesn't make sense to someone not steeped in WoW lore, but I still liked the movie nonetheless.

Did it have pretty terrible acting and an over the top plot? Sure, but it wasn't that bad for a video game movie.

12/01/2016 10:31 PMPosted by TOPCommander
Legend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=als5pGB3Tfg

Legend is one of my favorite movies of all time. ^.^