Should Blizzard start fresh with Diablo 4?

Games & Technology
1 2 3 5 Next
This is a serious question, as I do not believe an expansion could fix the problems that persist within Diablo 3 itself. Also the timeline of no real content would suggest that Diablo 4 has to be in the works (wishful thinking).

Some of the issues in Diablo 3 that would be hard to fix in an expansion and would benefit from a complete overhaul in Diablo 4.

1.Trading- limiting this to only people in the game crippled any real hope of an economy and in my opinion took a lot of what DIABLO is all about and crushed it.

2. Sets- These dictate what builds we can use and removes choice from the players. When 5/6 pieces of set gear are a must it ruins build diversity.

3. Legendary Items- 95% of these are awful. We turn them into forgotten souls and move on.

4. Skill runes- We all wanted rune words and they gave us skill runes... the amount of effort put in to make all the different looks of abilities would probably astonish everyone. This needs to be scrapped 100000%.

5. Rifts/GR- I'd like to see these either scrapped or re-worked. As a Diablo player since D1 these feel out of place and arcadish and not ARPG. They could benefit greatly by looking at POE Maps style.

6. Adventure Mode- This was an awesome feature that completely destroys campaign mode. They need to find a balance because I believe bounties are a nice feature to explore but all in all it kind of just breaks the game in its current state.

7. Rare/Magic/White Items- These need to be MUCH more than scrap. I hate to compare but in D2 you could find a jewelers blue chest piece and it would be an amazing day. Rare items were some of THE best in D2 and superior white items were utilized for added benefits in runewords. Why in D3 they're literally all scrap? There is no excuse for a game like D2 to be more diverse than D3.

8. Longevity- As a ARPG fan I think Blizzard could create great longevity with cash-flow following microstranscation system like POE. They only include cosmetics such as armor and weapon looks, spell effect changes, stash additions...etc. PoE has pumped out so much content and really in my opinion is the current leader in ARPG. They started rough but a team of 35 is able to do 10x as much as Diablo's entire team has in 3 years. I think Blizzard has great potential if they go back to their roots and listen to us fans.

9. Community- In Diablo 3 no one talks, no one really plays public games unless they wanna do quick bounties. They need to bring back the channel feature like there was in D2, where you can see your characters and make people want to communicate. Diablo 3 feels like a single player game due to lack of community options in the game and trading.

Whats your thoughts?
I think Blizzard needs to forget the current series and name Diablo 4 just Diablo, restart the story that they screwed up, and reinvent the game Diablo. Make it the earlier series but take pages out of PoE, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, maybe but not a lot from Torchlight, and just make the game not suck again. As far as I'm concerned if Diablo 4 is anything like 3, assuming it's ever released, then the series is forever dead

Short rant, why do original companies screw up so hard what they did so well? We see this with Diablo, Sim city, roller coaster tycoon, harvest moon... Which spawns indie devs to do what everybody wants. It's just sad.
It should be a D3 overhaul which combines good features of D2 and D3, not a D4.
11/30/2016 08:24 AMPosted by MarioDragon
Short rant, why do original companies screw up so hard what they did so well? We see this with Diablo, Sim city, roller coaster tycoon, harvest moon... Which spawns indie devs to do what everybody wants. It's just sad.

its the fate of RPGS and strategy games the world over. the simply lack financial potential.

Although these days, games being piped through stream and elsewhere.... and as you mention indie devs sprouting up here and there.........even though D3 is a complete disaster, its a good time to be a fan if RPGS...

what we are experiencing today is the kids of the 80s and 90s growing up not being able to enjoy many RPGs because they are all locked away in Japan, going and making there own companies and games now that they are adults, that they wished they had before....
hence all the pixilated roguelikes....
RMG you already have rune words, they are called leg gems and they are 100% better.... no farming, no botting, and they work.

Get your head out of D2. D2 is the past, D3 is now and it's better. I know D3 is not flawless, but it is much better.
This post is perfect man.. it sums up the key points in what is wrong with this game. PoE is def the leader in arpg right now. I have 250+ hours In PoE.. the game is very deep and was frustrating to learn at first but now it's the best thing ever I've already supported GGG 175$+ for their amazing work (more than d3) trust me I love the Diablo game I just wish they would scrap D3 and start over they CAN do it right it's just IF or WILL they.
Short rant, why do original companies screw up so hard what they did so well? We see this with Diablo.
Blizzard was not the original company. The only things Blizzard contributed to when making Diablo, Diablo II and Lord of Destruction was money, battle.net and the cinematics. Blizzard North was the creator and developer of the first 2 games and the expansion. Blizzard North was originally Condor Inc; a bunch of young guys making amazing games, but had no clue as to how to manage money. Blizzard bought Condor Inc because they new that the team and their creation was second to none. But they were financially inept, to which Blizzard had the potential to fix. Blizzard and Blizzard North didn't share buildings and equipment, they didn't even reside in the same state, and Blizzard never visited Blizzard North after the initial purchase. Blizzard North, and only Blizzard North was the founder and creator of the first 3 installments of the franchise. D3 has absolutely nothing to do with Blizzard North - the original creators and developers. And that is why D3 is so radically different than it's predecessors.
Yes, they should start over and make D4. Before that though they should release D2 remastered with a shared stash chest (keep current chest but add another chest in Act1) and guild hall; also good antibot and anticheat measures, also throw in a few items and buff a few very bad builds (melee jav). This will give the community good will; if they remastered D2:LoD they could even do an expansion for it later or they could go straight to D4 after remastered D2.

8. Longevity- As a ARPG fan I think Blizzard could create great longevity with cash-flow following microstranscation system like POE. They only include cosmetics such as armor and weapon looks, spell effect changes, stash additions...etc. PoE has pumped out so much content and really in my opinion is the current leader in ARPG. They started rough but a team of 35 is able to do 10x as much as Diablo's entire team has in 3 years. I think Blizzard has great potential if they go back to their roots and listen to us fans.

Whats your thoughts?

The very thing that makes PoE so good is incredible. It's not the game itself, though it is an amazing game (even Brevik thinks it is the game that replaced Diablo to drive the ARPG universe to new hights), no, it was and still is the founders of GGG and their love and vision for their game. Their core game is not for money. Their goal from the get go was to create a game as good as D2 LoD, but to improve on it's weaknesses. They took their passion for a game they loved to play and developed a creative masterpiece that was worthy of the title "D2 LoD Successor. This, D3 has never been about. The greatest stories ever told in the D3 ecosystem is 30 million copies sold and record presales before launch. That's only good for share holders.
Yes.

But only if they have completely different people working on it.
11/30/2016 10:27 AMPosted by Endugu

The very thing that makes PoE so good is incredible. It's not the game itself, though it is an amazing game (even Brevik thinks it is the game that replaced Diablo to drive the ARPG universe to new hights), no, it was and still is the founders of GGG and their love and vision for their game. Their core game is not for money. Their goal from the get go was to create a game as good as D2 LoD, but to improve on it's weaknesses. They took their passion for a game they loved to play and developed a creative masterpiece that was worthy of the title "D2 LoD Successor. This, D3 has never been about. The greatest stories ever told in the D3 ecosystem is 30 million copies sold and record presales before launch. That's only good for share holders.

Right and the reason they sold all those units was absolutely not because of the quality, great game. They ran on the effing coattails of Diablo 2. Blizzard has made so many great games and worthy successors, it is truly sad that my favorite Blizz franchise had the worst successor and worst game put out by Blizz in several years.
D4 no, a separate game mode that has gear systems like D2 yes.
11/30/2016 10:30 AMPosted by Strolln
11/30/2016 10:27 AMPosted by Endugu

Right and the reason they sold all those units was absolutely not because of the quality, great game. They ran on the effing coattails of Diablo 2. Blizzard has made so many great games and worthy successors, it is truly sad that my favorite Blizz franchise had the worst successor and worst game put out by Blizz in several years.
You won't get an argument out of me. The game should have been made by people deeply in love with and passionate about D2 LoD. My suggestion is to do this with D4 using D2 LoD as it's predecessor, not D3. Then, after all that has been said and done and an expansion or D5 is put on the table, look to D3 and see if things from it need to be added.
Bring back the chat lobby!

Blows my mind how far they screwed this up from the beginning.
Zen, simply and well put, there are several seemingly simple things they could do to improve D3. But really, it's already kind of jacked up to begin with; probably best to start over new.
They should start on Diablo IV.

They should have started on Diablo IV a long time ago.
The split second they canned the second expansion -- they SHOULD have started on Diablo IV.

Diablo is a golden goose -- and they're being plain stupid for not picking up the eggs it lays.

---

As for the list, you should place trading FAR LOWER.

There are options to trading:

Finding the items you need.

Examples:

Treasure scrolls:
You get scrolls that notify you about the last observed location of an item.
Within the game you read the scroll, that boss or cache has a chance of dropping said item.

Fixed drop locations:
Izual has a chance to drop Azurewrath, Tyrael's Might and other angelic artifacts.

Mephisto has a high chance to drop mage-related legendaries, and Tal Rasha's set.

The Smith has a high chance to drop runes.

Andariel has a high chance to drop specific jewelery.

Fixed drop locations -- in addition to random drop locations -- can add thousands of hours of replayability to a game, alone:
A 1 in 200 drop from a boss can take 100s of hours.

You can even have the boss have a 1/20 chance of dropping a shard of that item -- or even a piece of a map that tells you the EXACT and guaranteed location of the item when you collect 4, 10, 15 or 20 pieces.

The problem with Diablo 2 was that trading was necessary to get anything worthwhile, because you could play for 5000 hours and never see the high rune you needed.

Having a guaranteed way to get a rune or legendary -- even if it takes 10, 20, 50 or 100 hours -- CAN be a better solution than trading.

Simple legendaries can drop from specific enemies, and have these locations listed in the game guide.

Advanced legendaries and set items can have SET durations until you realistically can aquire them, through shards of the items, or pieces of the map to the item.
The amount of pieces and their drop chance DIRECTLY determines the time it takes to get the item.

1/100 chance of finding a shard, and need 10 shards: High RNG long/short/too long duraton.
1/10 chance of finding a shard, and need 100 shards: Low RNG long duration
1/5 chance of finding a shard, and need 20 shards: Very low RNG medium duration

Treasure maps with 5%-25% chance of finding one out of 3-7 legendary items on the list from the specified boss, after consuming: Medium RNG -- and the cost of the treasure map can be used to determine the actual average time to find an item through this source/vendor.
It doesn't need to be an exclusive way to hunt for items, but can be used in addition to hunting for parts of an item to provide players a way to find the items they desire.

Trading REALLY isn't necessary;
Wherever there is trading, there's people who make real world money in grey markets.
Look at what DIABLO 2 LORD OF DESCRUCTION WAS and what was available in that game.

THERE, THATS ALL YOU NEED, I DID UR JOB FOR YOU DEVS.

now make d4
I honestly just wish that Diablo 3 was a horrible nightmare dreamt by Deckard Cain, and he would wake up in Diablo 4 well and alive and say to his niece, "Leah, I had a horrible dream! I saw Diablo himself, only he was a she-male with boobs and I was killed by a purple levitating butterfly!".
12/01/2016 01:45 AMPosted by Ninblades
I honestly just wish that Diablo 3 was a horrible nightmare dreamt by Deckard Cain, and he would wake up in Diablo 4 well and alive and say to his niece, "Leah, I had a horrible dream! I saw Diablo himself, only he was a she-male with boobs and I was killed by a purple levitating butterfly!".

rofl dude this is amazing
11/30/2016 08:15 AMPosted by RMG
4. Skill runes- We all wanted rune words and they gave us skill runes... the amount of effort put in to make all the different looks of abilities would probably astonish everyone. This needs to be scrapped 100000%.

I don't think that they made skill runes due to players asking for rune words lol.

Imo, they made the runes to allow you to customize your skills a little.
So it added some customization d2 didn't have, therefor the skill-rune system can stay.

11/30/2016 08:15 AMPosted by RMG

well, PoE isn't a long-lasting game per se. They just artifically stretch the life-span by changing the game/adding something to the game every few months...
I'd prefer a game that is being shipped as long-lasting game and not with the artifical stretch PoE has.