Infinite Rift [Suggestion]

General Discussion
09/13/2017 04:08 AMPosted by Ruined
original idea was that each killed boss would grant the normal rift drops and XP but when you die

-- each RG grants rift experience
-- encourage players not to die (if die, RG no longer grant experience)
-- RG experience increases the more RG you kill without dying

-- starts like a GR (either accept or decline)
-- don't allow players to banner or to teleport to player (reduce leeching)
-- have loot as normal otherwise no incentive to click clickables
-- idea is not to spend too much time in town
-- once you go down a level, you can't go back up to previous level. Descending levels may be dangerous for hardcore players
-- "vote to close" by clicking on obelisk in town (each player limit 1 click), if everyone else exit or all those remaining in game reached limit 1, then you just click to close

-- leaderboard? ranked only if didn't die, how many RG killed, torment level at end, total time.
Another infinite rift turd that won't flush.

Here's how that would actually work:

GR1-XX equivalent: Trivially easy
XX-XX+5: Ramping up difficulty to where you would normally be playing, easy but not pushing.
XX+6: Pushing difficulty, 50/50 chance of failure.
XX+7: Fishing level of difficulty 90/10 chance of failure.
XX+8: Impossible

Besides, this concept already exists. You can kill an RG and then select a higher difficulty in the next rift. Not going to town in-between and being unable to actually select the difficulty doesn't magically make this a good idea. It has lots of drawbacks too, like splitting up your group due to not having a shared time between rifts closing, Having much more random intervals of needing to empty your pack etc.

No one is ever selecting a GR level more than a few levels higher than their max push because it just isn't interesting. You're either dying constantly or moving at a snail's pace. It's extremely tedious. It also forces a lot more elites only using high CD skills only game play.

The "infinite" rift idea isn't anything new or different or fun and it is completely incompatible with the way the game's difficulty levels work.
09/13/2017 05:50 AMPosted by Mercury

Besides, this concept already exists. You can kill an RG and then select a higher difficulty in the next rift. Not going to town in-between and being unable to actually select the difficulty doesn't magically make this a good idea.

Not saying the idea is the best out there but the most important point is that players have been inquiring 2+ years for a rift type that is challenging and isn't based on timers like GRs. Normal rift is face-rolling easy. So something is missing. And I'm not talking about set dungeons.
09/13/2017 06:15 AMPosted by Ruined
Not saying the idea is the best out there but the most important point is that players have been inquiring 2+ years for a rift type that is challenging and isn't based on timers like GRs. Normal rift is face-rolling easy. So something is missing. And I'm not talking about set dungeons.

Go ahead and select a GR at your current max fishing best ever +5. Ignore the timer.

After 30 minutes, come back and tell me how much "fun" you were having.
Its a different type of game.

In GR you have a timer and if you fail there's no specific reward, gem leveling.
In Rifts, you play at your pace.

In GR you can't tweak gear while playing.
In Rifts you're free to explore and change as you wish.

GR are for exp and gems.
Rifts for gold, keys and dropping loot.

In GR you dont have,
Clickables,
Goblins,
Gold,
Gold related legendaries,
Keys,

You cant really compare both rift types, thus stating "just add +5 and ignore timer" is not a serious argument.
09/13/2017 06:19 AMPosted by Mercury

Go ahead and select a GR at your current max fishing best ever +5. Ignore the timer.
After 30 minutes, come back and tell me how much "fun" you were having.

I get your point. It doesn't take away that a lot of players including me would like to push without being always tied to the timer.

I'm one of those who like to wear a Witching Hour belt and rush there as a glass cannon avoiding all the projectiles and stuff.

Thus I find a rift type engaging where everything would be centered around the inevitable death. I like to play softcore where I don't really lose anything so don't throw a hardcore argument.
09/13/2017 06:30 AMPosted by SapodoDiabo
Its a different type of game.

Different is not the same as good.

Proposing a game type that is already 99% available but 100% impossible isn't fun just because you added a mishmash of doodads from other game types.
Mercury, to a certain extent i do agree with what you mean by the type of rift.

I would really like to see some changes to the way we play, such as,
  • Rifts where two teams compete to finish it first, indirectly interaction with each other by means of the enviroment assets like health globes or pylons
  • Defend the Outpost or Wave of Trials like setup. Grim Dawn has created a fine challenge with their Crucible expansion.
  • etc...
    However, thats unlikely to happen unless some major content is coming next patches.

More likely than having the above delivered is a having a major improvement of what is already in existence, such as Ruined suggested.
    I like survival mode in fighters, sign me up.
    I like this idea. It would be a marathon gaming mode that gives a consequence for death for the soft core characters that play. Without that consequence being as dire as hardcore character is.

Play in teams. If one person dies The rift ends. It might not be played add much a other modes in public games, but could be very popular for solo, actual friends and like minded group/clan members.

+1
    The "Infinite Dungeon" suggestion was brought up before GRs and sparked the design and implementation of what we currently have.

GRs offer a type of "Save Point" instead of having to go through each of the previous "easier" levels of what would be an Infinite Dungeon.

Additionally, going above your current GR "Wall" (whatever the highest GR is you can do) would be the equivalent of continuing the Infinite Dungeon even though you take forever to kill 1 single enemy. Most likely you would reach either a Damage or Toughness wall in an Infinite Dungeon as you do now on your max GR.

Currently you can keep pushing your max GR just as you would in an Infinite Dungeon regardless of the timer in the GR. You won't be able to level your Legendary Gem, but you will at least get loot, although not efficiently.

So essentially an Infinite Dungeon would actually end somewhere...as you just can't do enough damage or you are getting 1 shot.

I think the issue of concern is the quality of loot at higher GRs. Although you may see more Legendaries at higher levels...it doesn't mean they are better quality. At the point where you are pushing GR100...you are looking for very small upgrades and so the quality of loot should be equivalent to the difficulty and be able to be adjusted as builds are buffed to be able to push higher.
    I really like these ideas too.

Death was more strongly disincentivised in D2, even in softcore.

It felt like a more natural role playing style... and I prefer it to the current glass cannon/guns blazing/kamikaze style that prevails in the timed/insta-respawn upon death grifts.

Would be good to get a survival mode rift where surviving to the end and killing the RG gets you gem upgrades. No timer, kill to progress and don't die.
    As long as it doesnt have a timer, Im for it.
    09/13/2017 05:41 AMPosted by SilverFox
    09/13/2017 04:08 AMPosted by Ruined
    original idea was that each killed boss would grant the normal rift drops and XP but when you die

-- each RG grants rift experience
    -- encourage players not to die (if die, RG no longer grant experience)
    -- RG experience increases the more RG you kill without dying

These alone are great suggestions, to promote survivability instead of lazyness, promising greater rewards

-- starts like a GR (either accept or decline)
    -- don't allow players to banner or to teleport to player (reduce leeching)
    -- have loot as normal otherwise no incentive to click clickables
    -- idea is not to spend too much time in town
    -- once you go down a level, you can't go back up to previous level. Descending levels may be dangerous for hardcore players
    -- "vote to close" by clicking on obelisk in town (each player limit 1 click), if everyone else exit or all those remaining in game reached limit 1, then you just click to close

-- leaderboard? ranked only if didn't die, how many RG killed, torment level at end, total time.

No need for the leaderboard, but all the other are valid points for QoL.

Who knows, now that 2.6.1 PTR is finished and Don Vu, we can start lobbying for more changes ;)