Looking back on happier times

Hardcore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNn62tpA-QI

"I didn't even see my life drop!"
Losing a Nats DH with Manticore at paragon 79 in those days... that's pain we can't even conceive of anymore.
haha, good times.

one thing i dont miss at least is well geared characters played by amateurs.
A dagger would have helped in that situation...
11/27/2016 02:25 PMPosted by VeePow
Losing a Nats DH with Manticore at paragon 79 in those days... that's pain we can't even conceive of anymore.

Well, this is the same guy who zdog'd his way to p100, and had a p64 monk with 0 elite kills so...hard to feel too sorry for him.

11/27/2016 07:26 PMPosted by MaddogXXX
A dagger would have helped in that situation...

Not on a dh, back then you couldn't run a decent dh with a dagger. It would be fun if you could run a backstab dh though, hmmm, maybe impale dh could be like that with some work...

11/27/2016 03:54 PMPosted by Isolation
haha, good times.

one thing i dont miss at least is well geared characters played by amateurs.

Well put, as usual mofo.
One shot kill, damn!!

I have an Inferno Staff of Herding dude! :P (softcore one though)
11/28/2016 06:28 AMPosted by Lloyd
One shot kill, damn!!

More like "10 shots all at once". If you watch the video closely, you'll see that there were about a dozen lunatics heating up just on the other side of that door, they hit both the barb and dh all at once...only reason barb survived was that he hit IP.

fyi, this is from before the era of 17 different 2nd life abilities.
11/28/2016 06:28 AMPosted by Lloyd
One shot kill, damn!!

fyi, this is from before the era of 17 different 2nd life abilities.

Let me repeat:
I have an Inferno Staff of Herding dude! :P

And I said it because I spotted the inferno difficulty level! ;)
dagger barbs, marmofo, and dirk...
I remember that death thread. So many door-kicking gifs in one place.

Deaths back then were glorious and meaningful... and always good to generate drama between people who didn't like each other. I wasn't a fan of Showny so this was a fun day for me, he wasn't a fan of me so I'm sure my deaths made him smile. Good times.
https://cdn.erincall.com/bdb7243b0e3332449db14aac13e15159a2bc39ca

http://i.imgur.com/lfoLqbq.gif

I remember those 2 gifs following his threads for the next few weeks haha
Yeah, Sanctum is the master of all things gif... that thread was the best. I found the link b/c that's the page that my computer defaults to when I go to jsp... :)
Here's the thread with the gifs that tdm linked:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=67197577&f=194&o=0
11/29/2016 10:37 PMPosted by Endeavor

Wow, some old faces in that thread. rlee, johnny, beast. Classic.

People who joined the D3 scene after RoS hit can never truly appreciate the level of drama that existed before the game even had a ranking system (other than a third party item ranking site). There were bidding wars, fights, and rivalries to be enjoyed literally every day of the week.

I truly miss it. Maybe when D4 comes out (I'm assuming it will have trade) we can get back to that epeen drama.
11/30/2016 11:55 AMPosted by TheDutchMan
11/29/2016 10:37 PMPosted by Endeavor

Wow, some old faces in that thread. rlee, johnny, beast. Classic.

People who joined the D3 scene after RoS hit can never truly appreciate the level of drama that existed before the game even had a ranking system (other than a third party item ranking site). There were bidding wars, fights, and rivalries to be enjoyed literally every day of the week.

I truly miss it. Maybe when D4 comes out (I'm assuming it will have trade) we can get back to that epeen drama.

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed the huge drama over there.

Remember that bis Ik chest back in 2012? The one where everybody was trashing the crap out of the buyer, and I think the seller too.... I remember that haxudon had a really funny comment in there. So many good threads like that.

edit: it was sorrid, though I think he changed name to thobel later on.

Check out this quote from bnetplayer1858 on dec 15, 2012:

It used to be small twister, but 1.05 has made the game too much easier. It's not uncommon to sell 200m worth of stuff on the AH in a week. I have seen it in action firsthand; I powerleveled one of my softcore friends, gave him my old cold monk set, and 10 days later he is wearing 2p nat 2p innas, having replaced the whole set with 200m of his own earnings. You can even see it in the general change in attitude of players. If HC was still dominated by the same 170 or so that cleared inferno before 1.04, farming act 3 while most players couldn't even kill belial (back when Ayr would sell his Boss Kill service), then yes everybody would know each other. And players would strive to play harder and harder mp levels just for the challenge.

But the combination of the game becoming to easy, a large influx of new hardcore players from softcore, the ease and availability of loot, and the need for diabloprogress self affirmation, even many oldschool players have fully (or at least reluctantly) embraced a very softcore way of playing this game... grinding mindlessly in mp levels way too easy for their gear. It's nobody's fault really. This is the way Blizzard intends the game to be played, where it is "not a matter of being able to kill the enemy or not, but a matter of how fast players are able to do so." which is more or less how Blizzard described this patch.

Hardcore won't last much longer like this. Not sure how softcore is doing, but I would imagine it's about the same.
Those were the hc d3 days I like to remember. Death threads were so painful yet meaningful.
Back when the game was in so much better state, less content and somehow more fun.

Damn, I remember my DH days, so many Manticore's wasted, I think at one point I cleared the AH of good items with my DH's :)
1.08---So very missed. Gear/Builds were diverse and had real value...I remember racing home from work to see how auctions went. I remember having a sword drop (yellow rare) that was the ducks nuts only to rip a few days later. I remember always having a full party no matter the time of day/night. The loss experienced was more intense back then...and that alone made it BETTER.
The Devs took a magnificent game and turned it into a complete joke.
No worries though...my new rig will be arriving in a couple days and Bloody will be headed over to BF1.
12/05/2016 02:47 PMPosted by Bloodyzbub

I still enjoy the game, but I enjoyed it much more in 1.08. However, we do need to remember that a huge % of the playerbase had already moved on by summer 2013, especially from HC because of the apparently impossible to solve DC issues and competition for old school d2 players from POE. I never spent any money on the game other than to actually purchase the license for it, and by the end of 1.08 I probably had the best gear of any HC barb actively playing the game in the entire world. No way that happens if all the active players spending real money from the start of the game were still around.

A lot of people have come back periodically over the years, but the devs have never recaptured that magical first year of the game for sure. I keep hoping that they'll announce something big, anything at all, and it keeps not happening. I haven't given up on the game yet, and I still enjoy it these days, but only in small doses, an hour here or there is about all I can handle now.

I heard that the new WD weapon is an OP Dagger, perhaps I'll start playing them so that I can keep at least half of my "Dagger Barb" setup intact...
12/05/2016 02:47 PMPosted by Bloodyzbub
1.08---So very missed. Gear/Builds were diverse and had real value...I remember racing home from work to see how auctions went. I remember having a sword drop (yellow rare) that was the ducks nuts only to rip a few days later. I remember always having a full party no matter the time of day/night. The loss experienced was more intense back then...and that alone made it BETTER.
No worries though...my new rig will be arriving in a couple days and Bloody will be headed over to BF1.

BF1 is great...having a blast. Add me if you want: -GN-Shark