Red Soul Shard

General Discussion
Remove the '...struggle for control'.

It's unusable with that feature as it is deadly.
I think that was the point of it.

If you don't like it, don't use it then. Its benefits are negligible anyway.

Game on.
The "Struggle for Control" is there for a reason. The "wonderer," being the hero of D1, Struggled for control of the demon after infusing the soulstone into himself. This is why in D2 story you see cut scenes of him losing to maintain his control over the demonic presense. This is what burned tristrim in D2. All those spirits come out and destroy everything and then he regains control once more... for a short time.
while using it with my DH, I noticed that sometimes I would bypass the "struggle" if I accidentally vaulted at the right moment... Obviously impossible to time such a thing, but if you keep using movement skills, maybe you can jump out of it more frequently.
01/06/2017 09:32 AMPosted by Ultramicro
while using it with my DH, I noticed that sometimes I would bypass the "struggle" if I accidentally vaulted at the right moment... Obviously impossible to time such a thing, but if you keep using movement skills, maybe you can jump out of it more frequently.

Here's the thing. This gem can never be used in Hardcore. Also, the 'struggle' can be accomplished in a much less intrusive manner. Simply takes a bit more creativity.
Has anyone tested it? I have been leveling one into the 80's and haven't started testing it on Melee characters yet. Is it worth to replace my Amethyst in my helm and offset with Paragon points?
I just think the stun should be a lot shorter. It's like 3 or 4 seconds which seems excessive. Maybe half a second to 1 second would've been better.
meh, its worth it for the transmog it unlocks alone.

Its a nostalgia piece, not a power piece. The stun/fire/etc. is all part of that as well. Enjoy it for what it is.
01/06/2017 12:25 PMPosted by Arminus
I just think the stun should be a lot shorter. It's like 3 or 4 seconds which seems excessive. Maybe half a second to 1 second would've been better.

This is the kind of logic I was suggesting. It's weird for a legendary gem to feature such a negative consequence.
01/06/2017 12:53 PMPosted by Skyfire
Its a nostalgia piece, not a power piece. The stun/fire/etc. is all part of that as well. Enjoy it for what it is.

This. It's there for a bit of fun and novelty.

But what I'd like to see is this gem enhance the experience behind a future event... namely the Diablo 2 20th Anniversary. I dare say that event will mean more to a larger group of players.

I don't think recreating all of D2 in D3 would be viable. That game had more dialogue/cutscenes/areas than D1. But they could create create a mini campaign following the path of the Dark Wander as he travels east. Would be the perfect reason to use the red soul stone.
You can make the gem usable if you make yourself resistant or immune to stun effects (with Krelm's Buff Bracers for example). I've tested it and it works.
Good to know as the stun effect really annoys me. I do not see any real tangible benefits other than the cool factor. Too cosmetic just like pets.
Hi @Ghostpos, seems we had the same feeling, and created posts with the exact same name. Here are my thoughts https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20752675707
isn't there another legendary gem it could combo with? the one that heals you when you get CC'ed and makes you super tanky when you are CCed?
just a thought
The real issue is 90% of the posters on this thread genuinely aren't aware of what "Nostalgia" means and the entire point behind the Tristram event.

The soul shard was never designed to help you break GR100....IT'S JUST FOR NOVELTY/FUN FOR US OLD D1 PLAYERS.

Have a wonderful weekend.
While I wrote it off as a nostalgia piece you could make it viable by making it way more powerful than it is atm; they do show him burning a village to the ground by losing control
Are we allowed only one stone? I had two for a short time then logged in to an empty helm on one character.
01/06/2017 10:14 AMPosted by Ghostpos
01/06/2017 09:32 AMPosted by Ultramicro

Here's the thing. This gem can never be used in Hardcore. Also, the 'struggle' can be accomplished in a much less intrusive manner. Simply takes a bit more creativity.

Amusingly, I am using it in hardcore right now, I love the gem.
01/06/2017 09:05 AMPosted by DTMAce

Game on.

This doesn't work for hardcore players. This !@#$ already killed me 3 times
01/08/2017 03:39 PMPosted by Midnight
01/06/2017 09:05 AMPosted by DTMAce

Game on.

This doesn't work for hardcore players

Yep. I was going to report it as a bug but I guess it is not. My problem is this.

-When the gem procs it freezes your char - no nostalgic indication you are struggling for control. In the mean time you can't fight, move, and it cancels zone transitions or portals. It is outright dangerous for HC chars.

If it DID have some sort of struggle indication or warning that would be one thing, but it does not. I used it for about 30 mins and removed it. I get the concept, but it is not implemented well. The struggle should be visible with small fire bolts building to the big burst. Further, it should not proc if you are already transitioning zones (I still feel this is a bug).