How do you put PvP in diablo

Brawling
The old arena team deathmatch thing looked pretty fun. Even brawling could have some potential with some more areas (boss arenas, perhaps) and appropriate normalization for the stupid amounts of damage characters are doing nowadays just for PvP scenarios. Say all damage is normalized to 1% (or whatever is deemed appropriate to prevent 1shot fests), and you'll get something fairly enjoyable.

Brawling actually used to be kind of a thing before RoS. Some folks had developed some rather unconventional builds with a lot of elite damage reduction/damage. Unfortunately, there's only so many times you can jump into the same map before it ends up being boring as hell. It's a shame, really. PvP is arguably one of the most engaging activities for any online game, and these designers simply ran away from it. I'm not even a big PvP enthusiast myself, but I jump in occasionally in games that have that option. There's a reason Esports is a thing. People love competing.

I wouldn't necessarily oppose a moba-style PvP mode, but they'll never do that considering it could risk their HOTS cash cow.
01/07/2017 01:10 AMPosted by Tyrion
Blizzard could make a npc mage-like who can "genearate" randomly an arena for you (setting location, area extension, number of barriers, traps, shrines, mobs, etc) and deciding any rules inside it. A cap for damages, health points or resistances. Modifications on classes, effects or cooldown. Skills or items permitted and other stuff like that.
So in other words: a completely different game.
As I get it whole "PvP" right now revolves around getting the right immunity because damage multipliers are immense. I would do bring PvP back with a few steps:
1.) Improved damage mitigation. So players won't feel forced to play chess to guess what other player is using. For example; melee characters get an extra 60% damage mitigation, while ranged characters get and extra of 55%.
2.) Dedicated arenas filled with environmental hazards or traps, elemental immunity shrines and health globe spawns. Players will have to put thought in it to prevail their opponent.
3.) Then fill those mentioned arenas with constant mob stream. Be it straight PvP or PvEvP by the means of teaming up. Diablo 3 has inflated damage scale way above anyone's control. Killing mobs would serve as resources to the players.
Dark Souls is far superior in PVP than D3 in my view. After getting bored with D3, I've decided to go back to Dark Souls and Skyrim. Far superior games in every way.
A good idea in my opinion for pvp would be to let you pick one of the available classes with few items to choose from (not your items) which Blizzard could balance around pvp, the same could be done for skills and passives and balance them around the pvp arena.

So in theory, something like Overwatch or Dota I guess, since letting you pvp with any item and skill you have would make almost infinite possibilities of an OP and imbalance pvp class.
How about entering an arena, pick a class and outfit the character in the arena armory (with items Blizzard balanced for the purpose of it) and once you are ready you can queue up against other players.
When Diablo was very young in Vanilla, the D3 team got advised by the Wow team to never ever implements pvp in D3 if they dont want the huge, impossible mess to balance it and the constant crying on the forums.

That is why D3 is the way it is. The Wow team that implemented season, a little bit like Wow turned.

Coupled with that the fact D3 doesnt generates any monthly money which is the new business model Blizzard have... no chance of pvp.

Hell they probably considered letting D3 die and stop putting money in it. New games have to generates money all the time. It's the new model.
01/07/2017 02:00 AMPosted by Steve
01/07/2017 01:48 AMPosted by MACHINE

U are realy clueless im afraid.

How do you figure PvP is called brawling here, no one said it was great but it's there, and I know exactly what size the characters are when they came and killed me as soon as they are able to go hostile against me.
You don't have an issue one shotting characters, but when it's you getting one-shotted that's a different story
People who got ganked, did so because they didn't set their games up properly, or joined leech bot games where everyone stood around while a high level bot power leveled everyone. In that case you weren't really playing anyway so who cares?

What I loved was watching high end, loot share, winner take all, HC pvp. Yes it happened more often then you think and it was always consensual .
PvP.

Clan wars, anyone?

I remember a fun PvP, I guess everyone else who hates PvP must've been bullied by PKers or something.

I personally wanted PvP and am disappointed it's not more open, the fact it was supposed to be in, then not, then an NPC takes you to an empty area, then he vanishes...

I wanted to fight other barbs in Act 4, or in the desert. What's wrong with that? Two players can't challenge each other on a competitive game? R U SRS?
So in other words: a completely different game.

Nope.
:)
its just a tool or an editor if you want.
Seems people forget stuff like this used to be in a lot of games once...

Ill create a topic about this..
You put PvP in D3 the same way you put it in D2: you just give players the option to attack each other.

PvP in D2 was never serious. It was never balanced. Yet, it was still a lot of fun to kill time or take a break from the item grind.

The absolute worst thing the devs could to for PvP in D3 is attempt to balance and make it a serious endeavor with leaderboards and rankings and that type of nonsense. The game has scaled to a point where individual damage output is multiple billions. Keep the PvP as a "for fun" only content and it'll work itself out.
Two changes:

1. By default players cannot damage other players.
2. Add a PvP gem to the game that grants 0.1% (scaled as necessary) player damage.

Done, over, viable PvP in Diablo III.
Items give way too much power, particularity in the damage department. You have things that have 3000% modifiers which is a total joke.....Heroes in this game are nothing without items you base stats mean nothing.
Primal Ancient Legendary Recipe to Fix PvP

All skills, legendary power are made to PvE (just enviroment requirement meetings). So for PvP they would need to add one extra just PvP legendary affix effect to take place from current legendary power. This mean all item would have a PvE version and a PvP version.

It would be easy for legendary powers:

PvP - Legendary PvP effect get active.
PvE - Legendary PvE effect get active.

The same for skills they would need to adapt which skill and rune for PvP effects.

Example you hold shift or control and the PvE text change to display the PvP text.

What are the benefits and advantages of this ?

-Each minor or great update and minor or major skills/runes/legendary power changes would not unbalance PvP side.
-Wether need just change weapon or skill damage/behavior mechanic for PvP version. One skill easily could protect for 10 seconds for PvE and for 2 seconds for PvP. They have all engine in hand they don't apply it because they don't like much work to do. They love easy work and easy money. Who doesn't ? I don't blame them. But when we get DEVs in love with what they are doing great stuff came out from there.

Disavantages ?

I don't see any.
Lost Ark does it pretty cool.

Basically it's the first to X number of kills and you have a short respawn timer.

2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 would face off, with each requiring a higher number of total kills.
PLEASE ACTIVATE PVP AGAIN ! THE GAME NEEDS IT ! EVERY GAME NEEDS PLAYER VS PLAYER, OTHER WAY GETS BORING !! (sorry for my bad english)
01/09/2017 02:21 PMPosted by Tohki
You put PvP in D3 the same way you put it in D2: you just give players the option to attack each other.

PvP in D2 was never serious. It was never balanced. Yet, it was still a lot of fun to kill time or take a break from the item grind.

The absolute worst thing the devs could to for PvP in D3 is attempt to balance and make it a serious endeavor with leaderboards and rankings and that type of nonsense. The game has scaled to a point where individual damage output is multiple billions. Keep the PvP as a "for fun" only content and it'll work itself out.

Diablo 2 PVP pubs were a lot of times a 1-shot fest as well, yet they were immensely fun. Just enable world pvp so we can fight in front of towns like in D2.

Unfortunately, you can only have 4 players at a time in one game, and can't create or join games by name.
It's really simple they can put an option in game just like they do for brawling, adventure, etc... Only it's PvP questing. You want to hunt or be hunted here and the option is hardcore or regular locked just like the game. That way only HC chars can hunt HC chars.

This way it's completely voluntary and they will see if there really is a community for it with server traffic.